2016 Steam Winter Sale. It's here (when it's done crashing.)

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Blackhawk

2016 Steam Winter Sale. It's here (when it's done crashing.)

Post by Blackhawk »

So, I was given a $50 Steam card for an early Christmas present. I have a dilemma.

Do I get Civilization VI, or Total War: Warhammer (what an awful name. Total Warwar Hammer?)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Re: 2016 Steam Winter Sale. It's here (when it's done crashi

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm actually going to give it a couple of hours. Not only to let the traffic die down, but to let the prices propagate. I got in, but am already seeing different prices on the wishlists than on the store pages.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

n hour and a half in, and some items on my wishlist are still loading as not on sale or appearing to not even be FOR sale, so it's still broken.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Ick, and the sales that have loaded are the weakest yet. I hope this isn't right.
I have but one advocate.
Enough

Post by Enough »

So dang tempted by the Steam hardware sale yet again. Any more thoughts on Steam Link and/or the controller now that they have been out awhile? I checked the thread, but the last reply was long ago.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

JetFred wrote:Ick, and the sales that have loaded are the weakest yet. I hope this isn't right.
Apparently they are weak, at least for me. Over a hundred items on my wish list and right now only four are more than 50% on discount, and those are ones I probably wouldn't touch till they are more than 75% off. And with no flash sales, well, it's coal in my stocking once again.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm tempted by Darkest Dungeon. This is the best price I remember seeing for that one.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Archinerd wrote:I'm tempted by Darkest Dungeon. This is the best price I remember seeing for that one.
I feel like the Moderately Dark Dungeon would be a more sensible choice.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In previous years, the featured standard items were discounted in the range of 65-85%. Now most are 40-50%, and those that show higher are franchise deals where the higher discounts are only on the much older titles.

I was hoping for a good deal on Warhammer or Civ, but one is 10% off and the other, while discounted a bit, has zero of the DLC on sale.

My sale happy has gone limp.
naednek

Post by naednek »

picked up Turmoil for $5.99 fun little indie game
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still sitting here, staring at my wishlist. I've gotten a few gifts for others, but I haven't been able to pull the handle on my own. My plans were to get two of TW: Warhammer, Civ VI, or No Man's Sky. My Christmas present gift card is just enough to do exactly that, but which one do I skip?

Which one?!? :angry-screaming:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote:but which one do I skip?
No Man's Sky, from the reviews and such. Unless someone comes here and says it's now the bee's knees.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's actually the surest bet. I'm aware of the limitations, but they are limitations to a type of game that I'm very fond of.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, if you are going to be difficult :D, then I'd say skip Civ VI. I'm sure there are going to be more improvement patches released and there's always the Spring Steam Sale for that :wink:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

My Wishlist temptations:
Sid's Beyond Earth
Dark Souls 2
Arkham Knight
Hitman
Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Age of Decadence
Atari Vault
Watch Dogs
Invisible
Sunless Sea
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Wolfenstein: The New Order is tempting me at $6.59, but that's it.

33% off Telltale Batman is not enough.
30% off American Truck Simulator is not enough.

Nothing else is even close... though I really have very little on my wish list now so my view is quite narrow.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Moliere wrote:My Wishlist temptations:
Watch Dogs
Skip this and go right to Watch Dogs 2. It's 33% off and a far better game. Just my opinion, but I have played both all the way through.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote:30% off American Truck Simulator is not enough.
I think that $13.99 USD is a pretty decent price, now that SCS has completed the re-scaling of the map. There are quite a lot of good mods out there already, which make the game even more involving. However, it's not a game you play for a few hours and feel like you've "completed" it. Personally, I like to set the in-game radio to BeatlesRadio.com and just kill an hour or two driving around relaxing while doing jobs.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote:Wolfenstein: The New Order is tempting me at $6.59, but that's it.
For what it's worth, the game gets a five-star recommendation from me if you want a modern action shooter that manages to still feel old-school.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Enough wrote:So dang tempted by the Steam hardware sale yet again. Any more thoughts on Steam Link and/or the controller now that they have been out awhile? I checked the thread, but the last reply was long ago.
I think the Link is fantastic. I use it to stream anything to my television, not just Steam. The controller I want to love, but I just can't get used to the thumb pad as a replacement for a stick. And the face buttons are pretty far from the pad, even for my large hands. It's eminently customizable and pretty regularly updated, though.
Last edited by Alefroth on Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

jztemple2 wrote:Skip this and go right to Watch Dogs 2. It's 33% off and a far better game. Just my opinion, but I have played both all the way through.
Wow. That's a serious endorsement. I'm about 75% of the way through Watch Dogs and have been pleasantly surprised. It took a bit for me to get my bearings and grasp how to play, but the game world it top notch. Top. Notch.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alefroth wrote:
Enough wrote:So dang tempted by the Steam hardware sale yet again. Any more thoughts on Steam Link and/or the controller now that they have been out awhile? I checked the thread, but the last reply was long ago.
I think the Link is fantastic. I use it to stream anything to my television, not just Steam. The controller I want to love, but I just can't get used to the thumb pad as a replacement for a stick. And the face buttons are pretty far from the pad, even for my large hands. It's eminently customizable and pretty regularly updated, though.
I just saw the STEAM Link was on Amazon for $19.99. Seemed like a crazy sale.

EDIT: Here -- if mods want to OOify that link, have at it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:Skip this and go right to Watch Dogs 2. It's 33% off and a far better game. Just my opinion, but I have played both all the way through.
Wow. That's a serious endorsement. I'm about 75% of the way through Watch Dogs and have been pleasantly surprised. It took a bit for me to get my bearings and grasp how to play, but the game world it top notch. Top. Notch.
Nothing against the first game, I thought it was pretty good. The second one just addressed some of the weaker points of the first game. The games stand pretty much alone (there's one small bit in WD2 that's a direct reference to WD1, but it's nothing vital), so you don't need to play WD1 first if you prefer to jump into the second one first.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Is it any better as part of the bundle since you already have some?

For that matter, everybody needs to remember to check Steam bundles for better prices now that SOME bundles on Steam adjust for what you already own.
I have but one advocate.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Wolfenstein: The New Order is tempting me at $6.59, but that's it.
For what it's worth, the game gets a five-star recommendation from me if you want a modern action shooter that manages to still feel old-school.
That's the one that caught my eye as well. I might grab it. I've been looking for a nice FPS that I don't have to think much about. I'll see how I feel in a few days.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

For what it's worth, even with my massive collection, I keep about 400 games on my wishlist to track sales. Using SteamDB, if I filter for 70% off or higher (my usual sale threshold), and then look at new highest discounts only, almost none of the 400 games or DLC are there.
I have but one advocate.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Archinerd wrote:I'm tempted by Darkest Dungeon. This is the best price I remember seeing for that one.

I backed the Kickstarter and was pleasantly surprised at how fun it is.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
That's the one that caught my eye as well. I might grab it. I've been looking for a nice FPS that I don't have to think much about. I'll see how I feel in a few days.
That is a great game. I was very surprised by it. Also finished the DLC for it..or sequel..whatever it was.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Blackhawk wrote:I'm still sitting here, staring at my wishlist. I've gotten a few gifts for others, but I haven't been able to pull the handle on my own. My plans were to get two of TW: Warhammer, Civ VI, or No Man's Sky. My Christmas present gift card is just enough to do exactly that, but which one do I skip?

Which one?!? :angry-screaming:
I hate saying this as I am a huge Civ fan in general...BUT...CIV6 needs a few more patches to get it right. I'd wait on it, unless youre a super CIV fan.

No Man's sky is actually fun for a bit...if you like exploration games. I liked it for what it was, but it wasn't that deep of a game. I just thought it was cool to cruise through planets and resource gather.

Warhammer...no opinion
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Really good deal on Borderlands.
I got Tale Tales Borderlands (all episodes) and Prequier Borderlands. Two for 6.75$ , pretty good deal to me.
The main issue, i have no time (and desire) to play new games. I got Fallout 4 on last sale month or so ago, still havent gotten to it.
I have probably a few dozen games from last few years that i didnt touch. Or played like 20 min. Thats why i think this will be my only buy for this sale.
Prequel there is good chance i will try, and Tale Tales are interesting. I always found Borderland Universe interesting, so at the very least i will sample it. And hopefully put more then few hours in.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

JetFred wrote:

For that matter, everybody needs to remember to check Steam bundles for better prices now that SOME bundles on Steam adjust for what you already own.
All I have is ETS2 and that drops the bundle to $31. I am not at all interested in paint jobs and the original games. A good thought though. I'll need to apply that logic check to a few other games. :)
Blackhawk wrote:
That's enough for me. It seems like single player shooters are hard to come by these days.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That went on my wishlist after someone here wrote a good post on it recently (last few months) so I'll probably grab it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

coopasonic wrote:
JetFred wrote:

All I have is ETS2 and that drops the bundle to $31. I am not at all interested in paint jobs and the original games. A good thought though. I'll need to apply that logic check to a few other games. :)
Blackhawk wrote:
That's enough for me. It seems like single player shooters are hard to come by these days.
Supposedly the new doom is good in this regard too.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Done crashing? No - we're just getting started. Something has been going on for the last ~60 minutes and I'm pretty sure the STEAM servers are completely offline.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Smoove_B wrote:Done crashing? No - we're just getting started. Something has been going on for the last ~60 minutes and I'm pretty sure the STEAM servers are completely offline.

I cant get Greenmangaming to work either. I can't login, add anything to cart, etc. Madness!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I eagerly await the news reports that some group of asshats has launched a DDoS attack.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It's sad that that's my first line of thought too