Spyware modify browser history?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TheGameAh

Spyware modify browser history?

Post by TheGameAh »

Question guys. Can malware or a virus of any kind modify a browser's history? I ask because someone asked me. They started typing in an address, and the history came up as they were typing of course. In this history were adult sites. I'm not talking about pop ups, mind you, but the browser's history. I answered I didn't think so. I know malware can do all kinds of crap, but I never heard of it putting in your history sites you never went to.

Any more opinions?
Enough

Re: Spyware modify browser history?

Post by Enough »

TheGameAh wrote:Question guys. Can malware or a virus of any kind modify a browser's history? I ask because someone asked me. They started typing in an address, and the history came up as they were typing of course. In this history were adult sites. I'm not talking about pop ups, mind you, but the browser's history. I answered I didn't think so. I know malware can do all kinds of crap, but I never heard of it putting in your history sites you never went to.

Any more opinions?
But did they have popups occurring from adult sites? That will definitely leave a mark in history. Spyware can leave behind cookies, bookmarks and the like, I guess I don't see why it would be outside of the realm it could even leave tracks in the browser history for sites you had never pointed a browser to. Doesn't sound too far-fetched to me, but I've never seen that on my machine.

Some good freeware cleaners don't hurt to get all that crap out after you run your spyware scans. Plus you get the added bonus of getting rid of temp files, etc. A few I like:

Crap Cleaner/CCleaner

CleanMoCache (Mozilla and FireFox) and CleanCache (IE)

Internet Sweeper
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell