What OO'er most influences your buying habits?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

CSL

Post by CSL »

For me it would have to be either dbt or maybe $iljanus with all those war game impressions.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I'd have to say this OO'er. It's almost like they know exactly what I'm gunna buy. ;)
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

Quite recently you and Triggercut. Hearts Of Iron is a genuinely deadly thing which keeps me up far past two.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

D.A. Lewis, slambie, lynn ... any others that can recommend a good RPG but especially a good 2Disometric one.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Any of the wargamer players such as CSL,Zekester and Jeff V,just to name a few.There's actually quite a few of us. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Me, myself and I.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

dbt with his war and tycoon games, and Giles H (Mark L) for the obscure or under-appreciated ones

Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
BigBoneTone

Post by BigBoneTone »

Another shout to D.A. Lewis, always enjoy his RPG threads. In fact, how about another one over in another forum on this board that only wants to talk about WoW :roll:
"Only a jackass quotes himself" Big Bone Tone
Lord Percy

Post by Lord Percy »

Probably the '#gg crowd,' since IMO most of them have a pretty good taste in games, and it's fun to play multiplayer with them.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I guess I can take this opportunity to recognize all of my wargaming buds on this board, such as dbt, Siljanus, Raydude, CSL, and Zekester among the many others. Since I see so many games months or years before they are out, however, I guess I'm more of an influencer than an influencee. In fact, one game I'm playing now is so incredible...oh, wait, that's right, I can't talk about it. The publisher refuses to be responsible for the militia force necessary to protect my house against wave after wave of rabid wargamers should word of it's presence ever leak. :P
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

This whole damn board. :wink:
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

Although I don't get the GGFE often, when I do it's usually dbt1949 that does it to me.
\/\/olverine

Post by \/\/olverine »

It's the community that influences me, I would never buy a game based off one OO'ers recommendation.
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Except I did bite on Hetz's Morrowind pimpin'. Bastard. :wink:
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Dunno if DA influences my purchases much, but I certainly appreciate all the info he provides on lesser-known CRPGs.
yossar

Post by yossar »

Peacedog's at least partially responsible for me picking up quite a few old school Rpgs. (Geneforge, Helherron, etc.)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I'd have to say TSS.

Or maybe U.2.K. for my Dreamcast purchases.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Jeff V wrote: wave after wave of rabid wargamers should word of it's presence ever leak. :P
All eleven of them?

I kid, I kid. :P
TheMissingLink

Post by TheMissingLink »

Zaxxon, easily, I spent quite a bit of money off recommendations from him - and for most part, I've been happy with the purchase!
Member of the GG UT2k4 9000 Frag Club
Member of the GG UT2k4 Triple Digit Suicide Club
TheMissingLink on PSN
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

These griping on these forums mostly reinforces my absence of desire for any new games at all, making it easy to stick with my habit of buying only one or two each year.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ironrod wrote:These griping on these forums mostly reinforces my absence of desire for any new games at all, making it easy to stick with my habit of buying only one or two each year.
Damn, I get tired of gripers who gripe about griping.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I succumb to the overal OO forum effect occasionally, but that is more a general effect rather than a few individuals. I really appreciate those who take the time to writeup thoughtful impressions of new stuff, as well as older stuff I may have missed so I can snag a copy for the backlog shelf before it gets too hard to find.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
knob

Post by knob »

None. I just go with it if a ton of people rave about it. One or two people liking a game isn't enough for me.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Where are all of my TB lackeys? Support me in my hour of need!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

bluefugue wrote:
Jeff V wrote: wave after wave of rabid wargamers should word of it's presence ever leak. :P
All eleven of them?

I kid, I kid. :P
11 1/2 - you keep forgetting about the midget!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Grifman wrote:Where are all of my TB lackeys? Support me in my hour of need!
I'll give ya a nod for Massive Assault.

That's one fine TB

Jeff V, i'm gonna have to start reading some more of your wargame stuff just to see how your opinion compares to my tastes.

(/bookmarks The Wargamer)
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zekester wrote:Jeff V, i'm gonna have to start reading some more of your wargame stuff just to see how your opinion compares to my tastes.

(/bookmarks The Wargamer)
You're more likely to read about it here. :)
raydude

Post by raydude »

Jeff V wrote:I guess I can take this opportunity to recognize all of my wargaming buds on this board, such as dbt, Siljanus, Raydude, CSL, and Zekester among the many others. Since I see so many games months or years before they are out, however, I guess I'm more of an influencer than an influencee. In fact, one game I'm playing now is so incredible...oh, wait, that's right, I can't talk about it. The publisher refuses to be responsible for the militia force necessary to protect my house against wave after wave of rabid wargamers should word of it's presence ever leak. :P
You....damn influencer you! I need to know what game this is! At least point us to a preview link or something! :)

Ray
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

Anyone who posts those damn well-written AARs, for anything from X-Com to CMAK.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jeff V wrote: In fact, one game I'm playing now is so incredible...oh, wait, that's right, I can't talk about it. The publisher refuses to be responsible for the militia force necessary to protect my house against wave after wave of rabid wargamers should word of it's presence ever leak. :P
Wow! I didn't know Duke Nukem Forever was going to be a hex-based wargame! Rock on!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
DocDarm

Post by DocDarm »

MzDarm, hands down.

DocDarm
New York City
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

raydude wrote:You....damn influencer you! I need to know what game this is! At least point us to a preview link or something! :)

Ray
Can't say. You might see some previews up by the end of the week, but not from me (I've been hired to write a strategy guide given my expertise on the subject).

That's the only clues you're gonna get. :)
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Jeff, you suck :P
JSL

Post by JSL »

Zekester wrote:Jeff, you suck :P
I do not!

:wink:
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Zekester, for steering me to the few little-known titles I wasn't already aware of. I try and keep up on every single game that might interest me in the slightest, but Zeke's knowledge humbled me. And I trust his judgment. He hasn't let me down yet. :wink:
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Peacedog's at least partially responsible for me picking up quite a few old school Rpgs. (Geneforge, Helherron, etc.)
Geneforge 3 Mac beta just started. I'd pencil in a mid to late summer PC release. Also, you should check out Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome which is quirky but interesting. I haven't registered it, but I think I will when I get the means.

There are approximately seventeen billion jrpg-like games out there if you are into that sort of thing (I'm sure as hell not, but if you like I'll dig up some links I have lying around). I tend to ignore them, but Cry Havoc looks like Final Fantasy Tactics, which is intriguing I think.

I'd love to see both an FFT like game and an Advance Wars like game from a shareware guy on PC.