Donnie Darko Director's Cut DVD

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Suitably Ironic Moniker

Donnie Darko Director's Cut DVD

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

It's coming out on Feb 15
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Ka Faraq Gatri

Post by Ka Faraq Gatri »

I've seen the original and the Directors Cut and I didn't notice many changes in the new version.

can someone please point me to a summary of exactly what is new in the Director's Cut? (spoilers welcome since I have seen both versions)
Hispanicgamer

Post by Hispanicgamer »

Amazon says that there are added special effects with regards to the opening and Donnies first encounter with Frank. Plus only 20 minutes of added scenes. That's all I got from them.
Now Playing:
MoH, Amnesia, Self
"Work to Live, Live to Play"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The original DVD includes a bunch of outtakes with director's commentary. I'd expect that they reintegrated some of those. Just guessing, though.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

My understanding from a friend who has seen both is that they added or extended a few scenes (I think all or most can just be found as deleted scenes on the regular DVD), enhanced some effects (which were already quite fine in the first place), and intermingled some text from "The Philosophy of Time" within the film. They may have changed some music, but I'm not sure about that.

My friend preferred the original cut, and from her description, I would agree with her. I particularly dislike the idea of adding text into the film. Blech. That's just too hack-y for me.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

There are also some added scenes not included on the original disk, and a couple of songs added back into the film (they were included in the original Sundance version of the movie, but Richard Kelly lost the rights to them before the movie was released). For 18 bucks, it's not a bad deal to see Kelly's original envisioning of the film.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Ka Faraq Gatri

Post by Ka Faraq Gatri »

when I saw the Directors Cut I honestly couldn't see where they put an extra 20 minutes.

I noticed a couple of scenes that were re-integrated, and a couple of new songs with new/different montages but the big difference seemed to be the extracts from the time travel book - they probably make it a little easier to follow the film on first viewing, but for anyone who owns the first cut I don't know that it would be worth upgrading.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Here's a great review of the Director's Cut that sheds some light on the differences.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/582/582311p1.html
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

YellowKing wrote:Here's a great review of the Director's Cut that sheds some light on the differences.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/582/582311p1.html
Nice link, thanks.
A big deal was made about the change of the opening sequence's song from Echo & The Bunnymen's "The Killing Moon" to INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart," which was Kelly's original choice, but it isn't all that bad.
Yes, that change is bad. :(
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I didn't like the Directors Cut as much. It is too ham-fisted.
I like my weird-ass movies to keep me guessing.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

Eduardo X wrote:I didn't like the Directors Cut as much. It is too ham-fisted.
I like my weird-ass movies to keep me guessing.
Werd. I really didn't like the directors cut either. The new effects were distracting and I hated that they changed the opening song (it just rocked oh so much). It was really choppy the way they put it together, in my opinion. Yeah, it explained a lot more what was going on, but I like having multiple ways of interpreting a movie like this, and not having it be so narrow. My face was disappointed.
Listen to the Eels
Thin_J

Post by Thin_J »

The director's cut is almost an entirely different movie to me.

I also agree with anyone that dislikes the change to the song at the opening of the movie. The INXS song doesn't even begin to fit the movie as well as the original song did.
Battle.net: ThinJ.284
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

I think Im going to hold out for the super mega directors edition. :shock: