Remote Control Plane for 5-year old?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Shinjin

Remote Control Plane for 5-year old?

Post by Shinjin »

Anyone have any idea if anything like this exists? I'd even settle for a wind-up if I could find something hardier than balsa.
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

Not a plane but this rc dragonfly looks pretty cool. The flapping wings would probably be a lot safer than a plane propeller.
(HBZ)
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

I HIGHLY reccomend Airhogs planes for that. They are VERY durable and fly very easily. I've nosedived the thing into my driveway many times with very little or no damage. They work off 6AA's in the transmitter (the transmitter charges a LiPo in the receiver). The AeroAce Bi-Plane (two wings on top of each other) is the easiest (and one of the better) planes to fly since it flies fairly slow.

The only downside to these planes is they need little to no wind to fly but that's true of most backyard fliers.

The Jet is good and the monoplane (green belly) is also good but these are a little harder to fly since they are faster and more aerodynamic than the biplane. They come in 3 channels A, B, C. I have my 4 year old fly one with me and what I do is giver her either the "left and right" or "up and down" while I control the other axis. Otherwise I think it would be a bit much for her .
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive
Montag

Post by Montag »

How long do these electric RC planes fly on a charge?
words
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

Montag wrote:How long do these electric RC planes fly on a charge?
About 10 minutes with a 20 minute charge.

It doesn't sound like much but in my experience, it's enough. If it's not long enough buy a couple of planes (only $30 each) and have one charging while the other is flying.
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Awesome - thanks!
Jag

Post by Jag »

My 4 year old can actually fly those RC helicopters that are being sold all over the place now for $20-$30. The Airhog plane is alittle harder, but my then 6 year old had no problem with it.
qp

Post by qp »

Yeah I have the set of IR controlled RC helis that can shoot each other...my 4 year old can fly those. He's done okay with my Stormlauncher and Dragonfly as well. (Avoid the dinosaur orinthopter though, it can't really fly)

Also the dragonfly one isn't really useful indoors, so if it's indoors go for the IR based RC Helis (and those are ONLY indoors).
qp

Post by qp »

dbt1949 wrote:Image
Those things just crash into playgrounds and break costing me $200 :(