Finished Games of 2008

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

D.A.Lewis

Finished Games of 2008

Post by D.A.Lewis »

If this is the moderators job then I apologize But we got a lot of good games from 2007 that will probably be finished in 2008. Here are the rules cut and pasted (and edited) from the 2007 thread. Let the games begin . . . and end.
This is the Sixth year for this list, and the seventh actual list.

Rules: Maintain a list of all of the games you have completed (judgement call on open-ended games) in 2008. Listing games you started in previous years is fine.

Post only once, then go back and edit your post as necessary. Feel free to add a blurb at the bottom about the most recent game, your current gaming habits or whatever, but the thread isn't for discussion .

Only list games that you have completed in 2008 (you could have started it in 2007, that is ok).

Be sure to indicate games you have re-played with an (Again) or (Repeat) or some such marker.
Ulee

Post by Ulee »

Finished:
Delaware St. John 2: Town with No Name
Dracula: Resurrection
Hellgate: London
Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle
Fairway Solitaire
Mass Effect (2x)
Sacred (repeat)

Currently Playing:
Culpa Innata
The Witcher
Last edited by Ulee on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

COMPLETED
Witcher
Eschalon Book 1
Perry Rhodan, Immortals of Terra

GETTING TO IT
Culpa Innata
Sam & Max
Mass Effect
Fallout 3
Last edited by D.A.Lewis on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

COMPLETED:

Mass Effect
Assassin's Creed
Fairway Solitaire
Mystery Case Files: Madame Fate
Azada

PLAYING NOW:

Lost Odyssey
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Finished:
Hellgate London [Evoker]
Oblivion [Knight]
Mass Effect [Soldier]
Bioshock [L, never H]
Mage Knight Apocalypse [Janos]
Depths of Peril
Fallout 3 ['01 Boxer': Very Good, Sniper, Sneak, Small & Energy Weapons]

Playing:
Sacred 2
King's Bounty
Fallout 3 (replay)
Last edited by Jolor on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:26 am, edited 16 times in total.
Big Jake

Post by Big Jake »

Finished:
Persona 3
Psychonauts
Bioshock (PC)
COD4(360)
Silverfall (Human, science oriented gun user)
Fear: Perseus Mandate
Blue Dragon
Suikoden Tactics
Too Human (Defender)

In Progress:
Too Human (Berzerker, Commando)
Last edited by Big Jake on Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I play Bjork tunes on Elite in Audiosurf.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Finished:

Portal

In Progress:

Universe at War
Gothic 3
Crysis
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

Finished
Final Fantasy IV (GBA, Japanese)
Pokemon Pearl (DS)
Shiren the Wanderer (DS)
Pokemon Emerald (GBA)

Currently Playing
Final Fantasy V (GBA, Japanese)
Last edited by Godzilla Blitz on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

Currently Playing:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Bioshock

Completed:
andon

Post by andon »

New years resolution to diminish backlog and only buy a game if I finish the current one I'm playing!

Now Playing:
PC - Sherlock Holmes: Awakened
X360 - Crackdown, Overlord
DS - Rune Factory

Finished:
Xbox 360 Gamertag: AndonDN
checkedout

Post by checkedout »

Finished.....

Playing....

EQ2

Guitar Hero 2
disarm

Post by disarm »

Completed
Devil May Cry 4 (360, Human mode) - March 17
Call of Duty 4 - April 23
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - April 27 (after two years and 136 hours in-game)
Grand Theft Auto IV - June 2
Titan Quest (normal) - July 26
Metal Gear Solid - August 4
Metal Gear Solid 2 - August 14
Metal Gear Solid 3 - August 31
Metal Gear Solid 4 - September 26
Gears of War 2 - November 19
Uncharted:Drake's Fortune - December 17
Daxter (PSP) - December 24

In Progress

Fallout 3
Dead Space
Ninja Gaiden 2
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja
Rock Band 2
Orange Box (HL2, Episodes 1&2)
Prey
Puzzle Quest
(PSP)
Last edited by disarm on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 10 times in total.
EddieA

Post by EddieA »

Finished Games
==========
Sam & Max Season 1 (PC)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
Arkadian Warriors (XBLA) - 200/200 G
Orcs & Elves (DS) - 9 hours
Bioshock (PC)
The Longest Journey (PC)
Ratchet : Deadlocked (PS2) - 33 hours
Call of Duty 2 (XBox 360) - 580/1000 G
Mutant Storm Reloaded (XBLA) - 95/200 G
Serious Sam 2 (PC) - 15 hours
WarioWare : Touched! (DS)
Destroy All Humans! (PS2)
Tomb Raider : Legend (XBox 360) - finished twice - 825/1000 G
Shadow Hearts : From The New World (PS2) - 74 hours
Mario & Luigi : Partners In Time (DS) - 27 hours
The Bard's Tale (PS2) - 28 hours
Stuntman (PS2)
Sly 3 : Honor Among Thieves (PS2) - 24 hours
The Legend of Spyro : A New Beginning (XBox) - 8 hours
The Simpsons : Road Rage (PS2)
Rogue Trooper (PC)
Half-Life 2 : Episode One (PC) - finished twice
Grandia 3 (PS2) - 72 hours
No One Lives Forever (PC)
Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) - 151 hours
Titan Quest (PC) - 37 hours - second time through

-------------------------------
Casual Games Finished - 75
Last edited by EddieA on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:13 am, edited 62 times in total.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

PC

Moonmist (Jan. 10) ~ ~ (on scale of 0 to 8)
The short stories in the documentation are good reads, but the game is frustrating to navigate. Rather than solving puzzles, you mostly stumble around until you find the clues you need. The conclusions for the four versions of the story are so far-fetched and disconnected to the backstory that they are unrewarding. This is supposed to be Infocom's easy game, but I found it hard to play because it's hard to like.

The One That Got Away (Feb. 23) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
It's brief and not very challenging, but it's well-written and fairly amusing. The ending is worth the time spent.

Toonesia (March 3) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Cleverly written and funny homage to Bugs Bunny and friends. I'm not sure why it didn't work for me. The puzzles seemed reasonable, but I needed to use the effective built-in hint system to get through most of them. Maybe the puzzles seemed too contrived or unclear.

Syberia: Game of the Year Edition (March 9) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Drawn-out snorefest with too much walking around and lots of uninteresting puzzles. The game has beautiful art, though the first area's beauty is only generic in the Myst fashion. Then the overarching story develops, and it's a good one. Though the voice acting and writing are of inconsistent quality, and the little things you have to do to move the story along are preposterous, the final cutscene left me wanting very much to play the sequel.

The Dig (March 31, completed without hints) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Good voice acting and dialogue, an interesting story, beautiful if not technologically advanced art, and a new-age score that surprisingly made me think of Wagner (it turns out that the chords are reportedly based on Wagner's music) make for a pretty sci-fi experience game despite all the walking back and forth one has to do to solve the sometimes fussy puzzles.

Uncle Zebulon's Will (April 7) ~ ~ ~ ~
At first, I thought it would be a dull and dreadful series of arcane puzzles based on obscure clues. But the game is deceptively easy; it doesn't have a hint system, and doesn't need one. Sadly, I'll never know what great inheritance I earned since the game leaves that for a nonexistent sequel.

Companions of Xanth (April 13) ~ ~ ~ ~
Mildly funny, mildly fun adventure until it gets dragged down by a series of puzzles that aren't connected to the story. The choice of companions at the beginning at the game suggests replay value, but there is only one choice you can go with. What I like most about the game is the music; almost every scene has its own tune.

Portal (Aug. 1, completed without hints) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Mystery Case Files: Detective Training (Aug. 24, 4:22:44) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Fahrenheit (Sept. 17, 8 hours) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The last third of the game takes a very bad turn, seeming to omit several chapters and doing away with character and plot development (though you can still get a gist of what's going on). Until that point, though, the game hooked me. The reaction-based puzzles offer a few amusing sequences, but they are frequently annoying. The controls are slippery; you can fail several time-based puzzles running in circles and trying to get an item in the environment to become accessible. The voice acting and music are good, as is the general mood that becomes more and more forlorn (and even in the silly scenes is still compelling). There is a sequence of reaction puzzles that greatly frustrated me, but I've come to admire it; you actually have to fail at some of the puzzles in order to survive. I wish the game had more rule-breaking challenges like that, considering that the story was about breaking the rules.

PlayStation 2

We Love Katamari (Jan. 1, 100% item collection, rose stage completion) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
It's bigger and more diverse than its predecessor, with some improvement in gameplay (you're much less likely to become physically stuck) and fewer of the level types that weren't as fun before. The theme of the game as a tribute to fans of the first game is nice, and the story--while not as surreal as that of the first game--is fair. The charm of the gameplay is not as strong the second time, but the game still finds new ways and places to be fun.

Final Fantasy X-2 (July 5, 67 hours 20 minutes, 58% completion, level 73) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Despite being a true sequel to Final Fantasy X, it's a very different game. The tone of the story is now carefree and upbeat instead of sweeping and gloomy. The battles are now in real time, and while this might take away much of the strategy, they may be more entertaining. While the main story is bad, the sidequests take up more time and are a lot of fun to pursue thanks to the overworld map that tracks the quests and makes most of the world accessible from the beginning of the game. The best part of the game is the awesome ability-based roleplaying system, supported by the fun dressphere system. Unfortunately, though I tried to be thorough, I missed out on a half-dozen dresspheres, including Paine's special dressphere (a failure that is almost as depressing as she is). Paine's a very cool character, though; she's pretty much the female version of Auron. I really admire and got caught up in how thoroughly the game is immersed in its "girl power" theme; even if it annoys you, you have to admit it does it about as right as anyone could.

Guitar Hero II (Aug. 2, 5-starred Medium, passed 29/40 songs on Hard) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Guitar Hero (Aug. 4, completed Medium, passed 29/30 songs on Hard) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
It's great fun. The combination of fret buttons, strum bar, whammy bar and tilt make this rhythm game much more interesting rhythm game than others. The featured songs are great, and I had fun playing along with songs I didn't even like before. The graphics don't look very good but there is a lot of variety in animations as you try out different songs, venues, and guitarists. I like how the verse parts of a song are usually the same, so that you can memorize them and let your eyes wander to what's happening on stage and in the audience. I feel almost like I'm playing in a band when I can simply cut loose and play from memory.

Persona 3 FES (Dec. 27, 220 hours) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (review)

Game Boy Advance

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Jan. 3, fused all Kinstones, got all figurines) ~ ~ ~
This is my first and last play-through of a Zelda game. The dungeons were alright, but the outside areas were, for the most part, a relentless and frustrating attempt to prevent your exploration. The Minish dimension didn't really improve things, the various items were mainly just tools to get around obstacles, and there was no notable story. I liked the earnestly translated writing, which could be quite funny. For those who'd care to finish the collection quests (which I did, and now I'll never embark on an optional collection quest again unless I enjoy it), the game nicely sets your final save to just before the final battle.

Final Fantasy VI Advance (March 4, 55 hours) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
This GBA version of the SNES game seems to make the random battles more difficult but the boss battles easier, which is the balancing I think the game needed. The story is not notable, but it keeps you interested from beginning to end thanks to good pacing and evocative characters that can say all that has to be said with just a downturned head. The music is not only great, it's effectively wielded (along with silences) to accentuate the emotional.

Riviera: The Promised Land (May 31, 32 hours 20 minutes) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Combining an adventure-like interface with cool item-centric roleplaying, this game brings it home with often hilarious dialogue and flashy battles featuring frequent snippets of voice acting. The story is a bit vague and not memorable, though the penultimate act gets a bit reflective and emotional. You might miss out on some great items or cutscenes by not making the obscure moves necessary to earn them, but you'll find the game no less fun and addictive. The battles are quite easy if you consistently level up your characters, but this requires frequent use of the Practice Mode to avoid breaking your items prematurely, which makes the roleplaying system questionable but still functional and interesting. The game really appeals to the pimp in the player; most of the story has the male lead surrounded by cute female companions competing for his attention.

Tron 2.0 Killer App (June 12, 15 hours, completed Tron and Mercury stories) ~ ~
This game gets it wrong about as much as Tron 2.0 got it right. Moving your character diagonally through the isometric, hazard-filled worlds is clumsy and will get you killed often. The worlds don't even look like Tron; their bright colors make the game look like a birthday party. The minigames are a mixed bag; the security game is alright but is used much too often, the tetris-like game is pretty good but is only used once, and the first-person games are completely awful. The story has little to do with man-machine interaction and the music is just a lot of bad thumping. Fortunately, whether you play the game as Tron or as Mercury, the game is short.

Metroid: Zero Mission (Aug. 21, Normal difficulty, 6:59:30, 62% item collection) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Edit: originally, this post only had tentacle ratings for the games. (The exception being Persona 3 FES, for which I linked to a full review.) However, when I had played the games, I had written in my personal notes not just my ratings but also brief critiques about them. I just hadn't shared those critiques here. It didn't occur to me until now to go back and edit this post to include those critiques. So I've now included the critiques I could find.
Last edited by Hipolito on Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:33 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

COMPLETED:
Hellgate: London

PLAYING NOW:
The Witcher
Vanguard
Half Life 2
Oblivion (w/ POOP)
Bioshock
Civ 4
Online Poker
Last edited by Moliere on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Noman

Post by Noman »

Tomb Raider: Legend - Played it over GameTap where it's available for free. My first TR game and found it quite decent. I had only tried TR demos before.
Bioshock - Great game but a bit overrated. Biggest strength - numerous ways to dispatch enemies, rest of the game is standard FPS
Culpa Innata - Very long adventure game of uneven quality. Definitely above average
Sam & Max Season 2 - Great set of episodes overall.
STALKER - Got the real ending and two others. Great game
Metal Gear Solid - Replayed on PS3
Quest for Glory 1 VGA (played it on DOSBOx, works great)
Half Life 2 Episode 2 (awesome)
Portal (Great game with a memorable final level)
Fable (Finished it 18 months after installing the game)
Last edited by Noman on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ninyu

Post by Ninyu »

Finished:
Mass Effect
Dead Space

Playing:
PC: Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3
360: Fable 2
PS3: Uncharted
Last edited by Ninyu on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezmate

Post by ezmate »

Completed

Currently Playing
  • Half-Life 2
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Rock-Band
  • Guitar Hero 3
In the Queue
  • Bioshock
  • Halo3
Where I go, destruction will follow!
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

And weeeerrrrreeee off:

1/2/08 - Ghost Master
3/2/08 - Dungeon Siege
6/28/08- Jedi Knight II : Jedi Outcast
9/20/08- Neverwinter Nights base campaign
10/12/08- Neverwinter Nights -SotU
10/31/08 - Max Payne 2
12/15/08 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance (as the FF)

Now Playing:
FAllout I
RoN - But it will never be completed! (just abandoned)
I was an Atomic Mutant - also no ending
Last edited by sgoldj on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

I only finished one last year, but this is my spot...in case I decide to finish another one.

Sins of a Solar Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Completed
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Civilization IV - Beyond the Sword (replay)
  • Civilization IV - Fall From Heaven
  • Crysis
  • Sins of a Solar Empire
  • King of Dragon Pass (first completion)
  • Political Machine 2008
  • Spore Creature Generation
  • Mass Effect
  • Hinterland
In Process
  • The Witcher
  • Avernum 5
  • UFO Aftershock
  • Medieval II - Kingdoms
  • Supreme Commander
  • Spore
  • Colonization
  • Crysis:Warhead
Last Change(s)
Hinterland, Spore, Colonization
Last edited by Zarathud on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Completed
  • Call of Duty 4 (January)
  • Bioshock (January)
  • Daxter (PSP) (February)
  • Rainbow 6: Las Vegas (March)
Under way
  • Jeanne D'Arc (PSP)
  • SOCOM Bravo Fire Team (PSP)
  • Knights of the Old Republic (yes, 1st time)
  • Gears of War (stuck and frustrated)
Queued up?
  • resisting urge to buy more
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Placeholder for when I actually get around to doing some gaming.

Trivia: The finished games list was the very first thread on OO to get a sticky, after a long argument about whether any stickies would be allowed. The verdict was far from unanimous, mainly over concerns that we'd end up with a dozen stickies in each forum.

Prior to that, going back to GG, the finished games thread was manually bumped onto the first page via 'ghost bumps' for two or three straight years, the same way the feedback thread and ELOG were.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Gwog

Post by Gwog »

For posterity's sake, here's the 2007 list.

1/1/09: So, 2008. After getting 3/4 of the way through Bioshock, I started concurrently playing a Tomb Raider game on my PSP, bought Fallout 3 and spent a couple nights binging on that, bought the new Penny Arcade game and started tinkering with that, someone mentioned Deus Ex and so I reinstalled and started playing that, bought Tomb Raider: Underworld the day it was released... and then my PC went very thoroughly ass-up. At the same time I got elbows-deep into what was possibly the busiest holiday season ever; zero time to even fix my computer, let alone do any gaming. So I never finished anything else, despite a large chunk of gaming time. Hopefully 2009 will see me with a working PC so I can finish Bioshock, Fallout 3, PA:OTRSPOD:Ep2, and TR:U.

Completed
Portal - Finished in one sitting. I was totally blown away by the character work and dialog for GLaDOS, even more than the great game mechanics.
Half Life 2: Episode 2 - Another really superior entry into a fantastic series. I'd say I miss the oppressive atmosphere of the previous installments, but big action and fantastic spaces made up for it. Dying for Ep3 now *sigh*.
Tomb Raider: Legend - A total blast, played for free via Gametap. The depth of moves available and the incredibly beautiful levels were a nice complement to the priapism. Too bad combat still totally sucks and all character models except Lara's (and a couple of the cooler bosses) were wretched. Rekindled my love for the series.
Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 1 - Brilliant. I will immediately purchase the next Ep. So much to love.... the cursing, the art style, the combat, the fact that it's fucking mimes+Cthulhu, the silly way Tycho and his niece talked to each other, etc etc. Completely great.
Assassin's Creed: cell - Very surprising how fun this was. They packed a lot of instanced stuff in, including controls, plus amazing art. The biggest negative was there never ended up being 'sandbox' levels where you had to apply all the techniques you had learned... too much handholding.
Anachronox - God, I hadn't played this in a long time and rediscovered love. What a terrific title that I absolutely could not step away from. Plus I got to play the branching levels that I had always missed before.
Quake - Deus Ex and Quake... from the sublime to the ridiculous, heh. Probably because I just read Masters of Doom, I could finally see all the flaws that people have always complained about. Still love it, though.
Deus Ex - Went all rifle-y; shoot first, ask questions never. Loaded out my augs for invulnerability, although in the end that didn't work out all that well as those augs don't stop all damage.

Currently Playing
Bioshock - Visually incredible, poignant, with terrific voice acting choices and controls that work really well for me. I'm loving the FUCK out of this.
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - I just got a PSP after never even having seen one before, and it's pretty damn incredible in the graphics and controls department. Fun game, even.
Deus Ex - First ever playthrough with no-kill of any NSF or their allies. Quite fun, but you get to the killing after not too long anyway.

Gave up on
Tradewinds 2: cell - The PDA version of TW1 was fantastic, and while TW2:cell was fun it was slightly simplified and therefore a little disappointing eventually. I played a bunch but didn't "finish."
UT3 - Performance. I had desperately needed 5 more fps to enjoy this, but a recent hardware upgrade probably got me there. Will need to install and test out.

Year's Gaming Goals
My goal last year was to get off the bleeding-edge bandwagon, let my PC hardware age a bit, work on the backlog and especially the much-loved games that were due a replay, and generally just try to game less. Worked out really well.

This year I was aiming for more of the same and made it halfway through with the old hardware. But a cheap-ish upgrade has put me into early 2007, and there's a lot of great recent stuff I've been dying to get into. I'll probably still do three-or-four-hour runs through a handful of classics I never played (Arena, Daggerfall, Blade Runner, etc) just to get a taste. Also will probably try to finish Call of Cthulhu, TRON 2.0, and The Quest (PocketPC) just to get them out of the half-finished category. Sure would love to play Morrowind again. Sigh...
Last edited by Gwog on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Lego Star Wars 1/3/08
World In Conflict 1/13/08
Insaniquarium Delux 1/15/08
words
naednek

Post by naednek »

Finished

Call of Duty 4
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

Finished

6 Days A Sacrifice (PC) - Best game of the series (and a better point & click than any professional title I have played in years), but not as scary as Trilby's Notes and lacking the atmosphere of the first two Days games. It feels a little unsatisfying in that it doesn't tidy up the loose ends in as complete a way as I would like. Still damn good fun though. 8/10
Call of Duty 4 (PC) - After getting tired of Call of Duty real fast, this was a revelation. It kept introducing new gameplay elements, while keeping the scripted and cinematic goodness of the CoD series, but in a fresh setting. Not only that, but it told a story and did so in such a bloody marvelous way that I would compare it to Half-Life in the revelationary feeling it gave me. It even had a brilliant way of helping you choose the right difficulty. - 10/10
Audiosurf! (PC) - Really good fun, though the choice of vehicle is rather artificial since each song is best suited to one. I prefer the Mono experience and thus it turns into more of dodge game than a matching block one. A good diversion, but the lack of shuffle is pretty unforgivable. - 6/10
Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (PC) - Most disappointing game of the year so far. I adored Episode 1, I thought it fixed most of the issues Half-Life 2 had, while being a fantastic buddy adventure with all sorts of subtle looks replacing heavy-handed dialogue and pauses. That's gone, replaced with the heavy-handed dialogue and pauses, and now the story is wandering off to God knows where, pulling new stuff out of its ass. It's still Half-Life 2, so it's still fun, but not all I had hoped - 6/10
Sins of a Solar Empire (PC) - Ignore the marketing, this is an RTS not a 4X. It's a fun 4X, but the AI is only a limited challenge even on Hard. Fun, but I find the lack of racial differentiation and the weapons all being numbers rather disappointing, along with the very strange ship balance. Excellent fun all the same. - 7/10
Command & Conquer 3 (PC) - Disappointing GDI FMV, but the mission structure was fun and the gameplay solid. AI is a bit of all right, if nothing special - 8/10
Armageddon Empires (PC) repeat - Now with Cult of the Wastelands expansion it makes for a more exciting game with more happening out there in the waste. Playing with the settings and less obsessive over playing it "fair" has made for a whole lot of fun. - 9/10
Battle for Wesnoth (PC) repeat - Oddly addictive TBS which will encourage bouts of swearing. Could do with a more transparent difficulty system and can be subject to save/reload syndrome, but I just keep coming back for more. - 8/10
Sam and Max Season 1 Episode 2 (PC) - Enjoyable enough - 6/10
Sam and Max Season 1 Episode 3 (PC) - This is more like it - 7/10
Sam and Max Season 1 Episode 4 (PC) - Bloody great fun - 8/10
Company of Heroes (PC) repeat - Of course I've been playing this again this year. Still a superb RTS. - 8/10
Bioshock (PC) - Nice story, shame about the combat. Gave up two-thirds in having lost interest. The story gives everything it has in the first half. - 5/10
Culpa Innata (PC) - Worst. Camera. Ever. I will never finish this. - 2/10

Playing

Eschalon: Book 1 (PC) - Basic and failing to take advantage of its turn-based nature. Disappointing.
Majesty (PC) - Not quite up to the hype, but a nice twist on the RTS gameplay
The Trials of Odysseus Kent (PC) - Teh funny! Alas though, almost demands you keep the walkthrough to hand.
King of Dragon Pass (PC) - There is no genre this can be put into. Truly original and fascinating.
Dawn of War: Soulstorm (PC) - Not as good as Dark Crusade. A fat meh from me.
Pathologic (PC) - Can't decide if I like it or not.
Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath (PC) - I didn't like factions in Zero Hours, but they seem okay thus far. Missions are much harder than C&C 3.
World in Conflict (PC) - Great mechanics, terrible AI.
Icewind Dale (PC) - Having always been more of a fan of the NPC driven Infinity Engine games, I'm finally giving this one a try. It's okay.
Sam and Max Season 1 Episode 5 (PC) - This series is turning out to be a real gem.
SPORE (PC) - A crushing disappointment.
Anachronox (PC) - A mixed back so far, but I hear it improves greatly once I leave Sender Station.
STALKER (PC) - A superb, atmospheric FPS
King's Bounty (PC) - Addictive TBS with real-time map from the makers of Space Rangers 2.
Heroes of Might & Magic 3 (PC) - Finally picked it up off the back of King's Bounty and it makes for a great compliment.
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 (PC) - Campaigns are not as satisfying as C&C3, but it's still fun and I have yet to try co-op with a human.
Left4Dead (PC) - Co-op making a comeback? Best multiplayer since CounterStrike.
Last edited by Quitch on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Gwar21

Post by Gwar21 »

Completed:

Heroes of Might & Magic III - Armageddon's Blade expansion (PC) - 2/21/08
Heroes of Might & Magic III - Shadow of Death expansion (PC) - 5/10/08

Currently playing:

NCAA Football 2009 (PS2) - Dynasty: year 3
Final Fantasy IV (PS2)
Last edited by Gwar21 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Currently playing:

PC:
Lord of the Rings Online
World of Warcraft

PSP
Jeanne d'Arc

PS3
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Burnout Paradise
Madden NFL '09
Tiger Woods '09
Fallout 3

Completed:

Portal (PC)
Call of Duty 2 (PC)
Call of Duty 4 (PC)
MGS4 (PS3)
Uncharted (PS3)
Last edited by ChuckB on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 14 times in total.
srdaniel

Post by srdaniel »

Finished

Call of Duty 4 (Single Player 2nd easiest difficulty).
Portal (main game only)
Hellgate London (normal difficulty only)
HL2 - Episode 2
Last edited by srdaniel on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Completed:
  • HL2: Episode 2
  • Sin: Episode 1
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Completed:
Disgaea 2 (1/22)
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (1/25)
Fairway Solitaire (3/15)
Dark Messiah - Might and Magic (6/23)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (7/21)
Bioshock (8/9)

In progress:
Super Mario Galaxy (On hold)
Final Fantasy XII (On hold)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (Not as close as I thought)
Puzzle Quest
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Wasting time with:
WoW
LOTRO
Last edited by Baroquen on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

Completed:

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
Unreal II (Replay)
Lego Star Wars
Psychonauts
F.E.A.R. + Extraction Point
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadows of Chernobyl
Doom 3
Lego Indiana Jones
Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic II
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Unreal
Call of Duty 4
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadows of Chernobyl (Replay)
Call of Juarez
Call of Duty 4 (Veteran)
Vietcong
Doom 3 (Replay)
Call of Duty (Replay)
Last edited by BooTx on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:31 am, edited 14 times in total.
Creepy_Smell

Post by Creepy_Smell »

Completed (PC):
Tron 2.0
NOLF 2
XIII
Quake 2 (Replay)
Unreal 1 (Replay)
Shogo (Replay)
Bioshock
Prey
Armed Assault
Portal
Quake 4
Advent Rising
Half Life 1 (Replay)
HL1: Opposing Force (Replay)
Half Life 2 (Replay)
HL2: Episode 1
HL2: Episode 2
Vampire Bloodlines
Oblivion
Divine Divinity

Completed (PSP):
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Last edited by Creepy_Smell on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:16 am, edited 10 times in total.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Completed:
Hellgate London

In progress:
Bioshock
Witcher

Wasting time with:
Civ IV
Madden 06
Chessmaster
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
xenocide

Post by xenocide »

Finished

STALKER
Crysis
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

NOTE TO MODERATOR:
It'd be nice if, in the original post, there were links the previous lists from all the previous years of this list. Some of us are nostalgic. :)

The stars at the beginning of each listing denote my overall rating for the game, with five stars being best.

** 03-02-08 "Turning Point: Fall Of Liberty". Not worth the $40 I paid for it. However, had it been priced and sold as a budget shooter, I'd be singing its praises. Not a bad game. Not a good game either. Simply a decent 'on-rails' first-person-shooter. Very short. Finished it in like 5 hours.

**** 03-09-08 "Conflict: Denied Ops". A very good shooter if you like sniping, as I do. You have a partner, and can switch between the two if you like. I chose sniper throughout most of the game. Multiple paths to objectives. Beautiful scenery. Lots of open, outdoor areas, which I like. Generally a lot of fun.

***** 07-15-08 "Vietnam 2: Special Assignment". (Completed for the 2nd time--nearly completed many more times--only recently have I discovered there was a patch for this game that fixed the savegame file, making it much easier to complete--without the patch, if your file goes wonky, the game is difficult enough to be neigh-impossible to play) Second and last in this series of budget shooters. Vietnam 1 and 2 (Not to be confused with the "Vietcong" games, which were not budget) are my all-time favorite budget shooters. Superb sense of place and ambient sounds, nice use of the Lithtech engine, and I loved the level design, which was linear, and yet allowed you to go off exploring way off somewhere you didn't need to. The exploration and detailed settings are what make me play these games over and over.

** 08-16-08 "Marine Sharpshooter 4". This is the first game in the series NOT done by Jarhead Games, and it shows. While the first 3 games weren't perfect, they were at least fun to play, and some effort went into level design and gameplay. The same cannot be said for this one. Level design sucks, and they even used the same cookie-cutter buildings from MS3. I'm disappointed.

*** 08-25-08 "Darkest Island". This game was created by someone using FPS Creator in 2006. The game engine is pretty primitive, but the dude somehow managed to create a game that I enjoyed in spite of the engine's limitations. It's a short game (about 2 hours), but it's free, and can be downloaded from this thread, which also contains some other games that won prizes in the FPS Creator contest. I may have to check into this game creator.

** 08-25-08 "Code Of Honor 2: Conspiracy Island". Created and published by City Interactive of Poland. A very short budget shooter that uses the Jupiter EX engine, the same engine FEAR used. So it looks and plays like FEAR, only on an exotic island. Some good firefights. Good fun all around. But VERY short! Maybe 3 hours long.

** 08-31-08 "Instinct". A Russian import by the makers of "You Are Empty". It's a zombie shooter that plays like another mediocre shooter, but with some drawbacks: You can't run, but the zombies can. The environments aren't scary enough. The enemy soldiers use grenades, but you can't. It's a pretty long game: 16 levels, and the story is okay. Actually, the animated comic book-style cutscenes are the best part. Those are quite well done. The rest of the game is just "meh".

** 09-18-08 "Code Of Honor: The French Foreign Legion". I actually imported this one from the UK after playing a halfway decent demo. Thing is, while the FPS parts are halfway decent, there are only 8 missions, and 2 of those (missions 5 and 6) are stupid defend-the-fort missions, which I hate. Mission 7 starts out as a rail-shooter with you on the back of a truck, and getting out periodically to clear out areas. This was okay. Overall, a bog-standard simple shooter. Very short.

*** 09-22-08 "Sniper: Art Of Victory". Another UK import from City Interactive. 8 missions long, it's quite short. Maybe 5 hours total. But pretty fun. You get stats after each mission. My longest kill was 137 meters, which was quite an accomplishment. There is some distance fog, but nothing that stops you from getting your long kills.

*** 12-02-08 "Terrorist Takedown 2: US Navy Seals". Another 8-mission game from City Interactive. This one uses the FEAR engine. The mideast settings are good, and pretty well-designed. Overall, a decent pure shooter.

**** 12-15-08 "You Are Empty". A Russian import. Excellent atmosphere, average gameplay. I really enjoyed it, but it could have been a classic if they'd have spent more time developing the gameplay aspect.
Last edited by Giles Habibula on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Completed:

Neverwinter Nights 2
Portal
HL2: Episode 2
Bioshock

In progress:
Colonization
Spore

On Hold:
Crysis
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer
WoW
Last edited by xwraith on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Cosmonaut_Roger

Re: Finished Games of 2008

Post by Cosmonaut_Roger »

Completed

Crysis
Portal

In Progress

Stalker
Worms Armaggeddon
Medieval 2 Total War
spiderfill