Star Trek Online

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Star Trek Online

Post by Daehawk »

So whatever happened to this? Ive not heard anything in a year at least. I see on their site they are still hiring for it. Has ANYTHING been done?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yep, but not much has been released since then. You can find more info, including screenshots here, which is the biggest fan site dedicated to the game: http://www.startrek-online.net/

In particular, check out this guide which essentially details what will be in the game and what certain parts will be like: http://www.startrek-online.net/index.php?page=guide
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I really hope they manage to make a fun, unique online game out of this, but the curse of Star Trek is a harsh mistress.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

They're busy working on Gods&Heroes: Rome Rising... yeah, that must be it!
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And coincidentally, they've just started doing DevLogs. Check it out:

http://www.startrekonline.com/devlog/
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

I got that mail last night. I forgotten I signed up for anything.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Second Devlog, along with some Vulcan Artwork:

http://www.startrek-online.net/messageb ... php?t=9898
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cool. Now I need to find out what happened to the Stargate MMO :)
Salva

Post by Salva »

Looking at the artwork does nothing for the game in my opinion.

Before Vanguard was released we looked at a lot of ooh and aah, but the gameplay was sh** and now the game is deserted despite having one of the biggest investment pools available to them (at the time admittedly).

With no news of a release date or even a suggested release date it looks very very far away if it's ever going to hit the shelves.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Here's a nice Progress Report with MMORPG.com. Lots of nice juicy details here :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?LOAD ... res&bhcp=1
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

This game is never coming out.

Out of curiosity I did a search on Bay Area MMO developers. The first one I found, well, let's just the game is doomed.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Ouch, yeah, the game is dead. Has there ever been a successful game which changed developers?
Crawley

Post by Crawley »

cheeba wrote:Ouch, yeah, the game is dead. Has there ever been a successful game which changed developers?
Horizo...oh, wait.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Gedd wrote:This game is never coming out.

Out of curiosity I did a search on Bay Area MMO developers. The first one I found, well, let's just the game is doomed.
so Romero is going to make us his bitch again?
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Hemlock Bones

Post by Hemlock Bones »

cheeba wrote:Ouch, yeah, the game is dead. Has there ever been a successful game which changed developers?
LOTRO.
Sparhawk

Post by Sparhawk »

Hemlock Bones wrote:
LOTRO.
He said successful not barely surviving. :D
Ya srsly!
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

This just confirms my long standing belief that the game would never come out. Perpetual really wasted a ton of money between this and Gods & Heroes (yeah, I'm sure it was VC money and not theirs, but still, what a waste).
Sparhawk

Post by Sparhawk »

Charlatan wrote:This just confirms my long standing belief that the game would never come out. Perpetual really wasted a ton of money between this and Gods & Heroes (yeah, I'm sure it was VC money and not theirs, but still, what a waste).
Oh they were trying to develope two different MMO's at the same time? :shock:
Ya srsly!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, what a double blow. This sucks. And it was coming along so well.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Rumpy wrote: And it was coming along so well.
I hope this is sarcasm.

They showed very little, and what they showed looked like every MMORPG that's launched in the last 10 years.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, actually it wasn't. If you read their dev logs and read some of the community interaction on the Star Trek Online site, you could see it was coming along quite well and was well on track for a 2008 release.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At least we still have Stargate Worlds coming along. I was more interested in it anyways. Still sad about STO
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Daehawk wrote:At least we still have Stargate Worlds coming along. I was more interested in it anyways. Still sad about STO
The thing STO has/had was space exploration and ship-to-ship combat. I'm looking forward to Stargate as well, but in the end it's pretty much ground warfare as far as I can tell.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like maybe Cryptic got the STO license...

http://www.warcry.com/news/view/80669

Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

I don't think that screenshot means anything anymore. It's the last one that Perpetual released before this whole fiasco started.

As for Cryptic, it may be that they're just picking up developers before P2 lets them go. I definitely wouldn't mind them getting the license, but we'll have to wait and see.
Rumpy

Re: Star Trek Online

Post by Rumpy »

So, things have been ramping up as of late. Cryptic got their Star Trek Online site up, and with it came a new press release.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — "Star Trek Online" is finally going warp speed ahead.

After years in development limbo, the "Trek"-themed massively multiplayer online game will engage, according to game developer Cryptic Studios Inc.

Jack Emmert, Cryptic Chief Creative Officer, said players will begin "Star Trek Online" as the captain of a small Starfleet or Klingon Empire ship. They can customize their characters from pre-existing "Trek" species — from Klingons to Gorn — and can create entirely new alien races. As they progress through the game, players can increase in rank and gain larger vessels and more crew.

"You'll venture through space exploring new civilizations and life-forms," said Emmert. "You'll also beam down to planets and have adventures inside your ship. It's a galactic-wide game. There's going to be tons of space to investigate. We have a great system for exploration, which will allow for almost infinite possibilities."

Cryptic recently announced it had secured the rights to develop and publish "Star Trek Online" from CBS Consumer Products after now-defunct Perpetual Entertainment set the besieged project to kill.

"We had a friendly relationship with them," Emmert said. "As it became apparent they weren't going to continue to function, they decided to sell off the license. We swooped in and grabbed it. We took no assets. There was nothing to be had, to be honest. We're building everything from the ground up."

Players will also be able to battle against other vessels in laser-blasting, missile-firing deep space scuffles reminiscent of "The Wrath of Khan" and the Dominion War in "Deep Space Nine." Because the game will be set a few generations following the last "Trek" film, players shouldn't expect to run into James T. Kirk or Jean-Luc Picard.

"There might be a ship called Enterprise flying around, but it's probably not the same ship anymore," said Emmert. "Most of the characters will have either retired or passed on, but you'll definitely be going to all the places you know and love from 'Star Trek.' Expect to see oldies like Vulcan and Bajor but also fan favorites like Andoria and Qo'noS."

Emmert plans to unveil footage and more details about "Star Trek Online" — which has no release date set — with Leonard Nimoy at a "Star Trek" convention Sunday in Las Vegas at the Gene Roddenberry Theater inside the Las Vegas Hilton. The "Star Trek Online" panel will also be broadcast live at StarTrekOnline.com.

"You're going to see the actual game working and functioning," said Emmert. "This isn't renders. This isn't concept art. Everything that people will see on Sunday is going to be taken right from 'Star Trek Online' as it stands today, so hardened people should know that a release date might be closer than they think."

Cryptic, the developer originally responsible for "City of Heroes" and "City of Villains," is also working on the superhero-themed online game "Champions Online," scheduled for release for Windows PC and Xbox 360 next year. Emmert said "Star Trek Online" would definitely be available for Windows PC and perhaps Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

Other online games based on popular entertainment franchises include "The Lord of the Rings Online," "The Matrix Online," "Pirates of the Caribbean Online" and "Star Wars Galaxies." Sony Online Entertainment is currently developing "DC Universe Online" while MGM Interactive is working on "Stargate Worlds."

So yep, new stuff got released on Sunday just days after the site went online. Screenshots were put up, and the official trailer was launched at the Star Trek convention in Las Vegas. They also have a webcast that explains a lot of stuff.

http://www.startrekonline.com/" target="_blank
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Booner

Post by Booner »

I think the gameplay trailer has it's hooks in me.

No doubt...I'm goin' Klingon. :)
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Slow in coming but...

The last write up says it takes place some 40 years after the movie............ so what time line/universe are we in?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/startrek ... ot;thumb;4
pengo

Post by pengo »

that press release says you can see vulcan but in the movie vulcan gets destroyed....
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sigh
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

pengo wrote:that press release says you can see vulcan but in the movie vulcan gets destroyed....
Thanks for the spoiler.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm a little disappointed in the graphics - though I guess I shouldn't be surprised coming from Cryptic. That cartoon style works well for superheros but not so much for Star Trek.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote:I'm a little disappointed in the graphics - though I guess I shouldn't be surprised coming from Cryptic. That cartoon style works well for superheros but not so much for Star Trek.
Maybe it's based on *this* version of Trek:
Spoiler:
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

HEY! I LIKE that version of Star Trek!!!!

Anyway, my bad... that article says it takes place after NEMESIS, so that answers that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Knowing me Ill be a Klingon as my main.

I like that idea of having multiple ships to choose from as a starting noob. Kinda mixes up the look somewhat.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Arise, thread!

And, it seems, game.

Release is getting near, it's coming out in february and open beta in january. Is anyone going to play this? I think I might try it out, it won't be revolutionary or anything (except arguably having avatar AND ship combat in one game, and being a space MMORPG which is rare itself there days) but the latest stream of articles and previews suggests it might be fun. Besides, I'm bored stiff with LOTRO.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'll probably get it at some point, although I will try to hold out for a sale. I've always liked Star Trek and who doesn't want to command a starship, but what I've seen of the gameplay so far hasn't really blown me away.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Space combat looks like fun from the demo I played at PAX. I'm not sure how the group combat will play like since there will be three different classes of ships. However, I think this will be my favorite part of the game. Ground of planet based combat was not fun in the demo. I really hope they find a way to improve that part of the game.

I'm itching to play the game but I'm not sure its worth $49.99 to play on day one when I KNOW it will come down in price eventually. I've been burned by MMOs in the past and I'd rather feel like I paid a good price then feel like I overpaid.

I will probably wait until March to get this but I know at somepoint I will get it. I hope to play with you guys. :P
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Lagom Lite wrote:it won't be revolutionary or anything (except arguably having avatar AND ship combat in one game)
Well, SWG had this quite a while ago (though it didn't ship with space combat).

Still, it looks like Klingons are some kind of PvP only faction or something. It looks like the PvP is really clunky anyways, so I'm going to wait and see.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

cheeba wrote:
Lagom Lite wrote:it won't be revolutionary or anything (except arguably having avatar AND ship combat in one game)
Well, SWG had this quite a while ago (though it didn't ship with space combat).
Pirates of the Burning Sea. Laugh if you must, but the 2.1D space combat and ridiculous avatar combat are frighteningly similar.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter