Longhorn: 2gig Ram!!??

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Greg Wak

Longhorn: 2gig Ram!!??

Post by Greg Wak »

I got the latest issue of CGM today. In the tech section article on how much ram is enough they mention that Longhorn is rumored to need 2gig of ram to run. I have not heard or seen anything about this. Can it possably be true?
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

What's the ETA for Longhorn? 2006? 2007? by then 2 gigs of RAM may be standard.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
magic

Post by magic »

May 2006.

Given a standard everyday home use (non gaming) dell/gateway/whatever comes with 512MB now, that seems steep. Given that the upgrade to 2GB can approach $300+ means that adds a whole crapload of price overhead on PC's. I don't think that's likely.

Also, there are leaked builds of the OS floating around the internets, and they don't need 2GB to run. And these builds are pre-optimization...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm sure it isn't going to require that much - no way does MS release a product with such a limited audience.

Now, maybe, HOPEFULLY it makes better use of memory so that there's a practical reason to upgrade to 2GB. Currently, more memory (above 512) allows more applications to be multitasked but has little effect on actual performance.
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

Might be a situation similar to today, where 512 is decent, but the system runs on 256, and even 128 just fine, although in the latter case much better with only limited multitasks going, and only on non gaming PC's. So a full gaming rig, multi-tasking machine, such as in CGW, should have about 2Gb. Sounds right to me.
is_dead