2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Networking type of question

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Networking type of question

Post by ImLawBoy »

OK, I finally did what I should have done long ago. I've had a router sitting around forever, but I never had it hooked up. When I would bring my work laptop home, I'd disconnect my DSL line from my home PC and connect it to my laptop, and then switch back when I was done with work. I finally realized how pointless this is, so I just hooked up the router, and now I can have both computers hooked up at the same time. Yay me! I've made it through 1990s home networking 101!

Now, though, I keep getting a window popping up on my home PC prompting me to connect to my ISP. It's not an unusal window - it's the same one I always used to use to connect to my ISP before hooking up the router. It's not needed now, though, so I just cancel it out and continue with my business (or bidness, if you prefer).

Finally, I'll get to my question. How do I make this window stop popping up? It's kind of annoying, and I don't like being annoyed. I'm running Windows XP, and if you need any other system info, just let me know.

Thanks!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

Does your DSL use PPPoE? If so, you installed some software for that, right? Look around through Add/Remove programs and see if you find anything that looks like it might be related. WinPOET maybe? You could also check the DSL install disk and see if there's an uninstaller.
(HBZ)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Make sure your IE is setup to connect via network and not via modem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I bet HBZ has it right.

I'm not using IE, so I don't think that's causing the problem. I'll check it anyway, though.

Thanks for the help.
That's my purse! I don't know you!