Arsenal vs. Manchester United

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pointer

Arsenal vs. Manchester United

Post by Pointer »

4.05pm GMT - Old Trafford. Game of the Season So Far.

If you have ANY interest in football whatsoever make sure you watch this game today. My team (Arsenal) are going for 50 games unbeaten in the Premiership whilst if Man Utd lose they are all but out of the title race.

I have to go the gym to work off all my nervous energy and take my mind off the game.

Pointer
B Dog

Post by B Dog »

Unfortunately, Fox Sports World will be showing the Birmingham City v. Southamptom match on tape delay this afternoon.

They've saved the Gooners and the Red Devils for pay-per-view--greedy sons o' bitches. :x

Guess I'll need to follow this one online, maybe find a radio feed.

Is there anyway we can get them both to lose? :wink:
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

SPOILERS
Well we (Arsenal) lost. I am absolutely gutted. The penalty was never a penalty, Sol Campbell clearly got his leg out of the way and never touched Rooney. The second goal is insignificant as it would never have happened if it was 0-0. United get away with this time after time.

Anyway, we are still 2 points clear at the top of the league, so not too much to complain about. I am a bit worried about our recent form, especially in Europe but we have shown before that we can bounce back.

Come on Arsenal!!!!!!

Pointer
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I have a huge interest in football.

Which is why I'm suffering through the Detroit Lions and the New York Giants while waiting for my beloved Patriots to try to keep their winning streak alive against the Jets.

That's football.

Not your European-pansy-style-soccer-crap. :P
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

I knew somebody would bring this up.

Which sport do you actually use your feet to kick the ball? Association Football (also known as "Soccer" in the United States of America). In American Football the ball (if you can call it that as it is not even spherical) is mainly touched with the hands and only kicked for punts, kick offs, field goals and PATs. Why it is called football I can never understand.

Pointer
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Hey, someone has to be the obnoxious American in this conversation. :wink:
Vegetable Man

Post by Vegetable Man »

Pointer wrote:I knew somebody would bring this up.

Which sport do you actually use your feet to kick the ball? Association Football (also known as "Soccer" in the United States of America). In American Football the ball (if you can call it that as it is not even spherical) is mainly touched with the hands and only kicked for punts, kick offs, field goals and PATs. Why it is called football I can never understand.

Pointer
Yeah, I'm American and can't even figure that one out. Sucks to hear Arsenal lost, mainly because I'll hafta deal with a disgruntled boss tomorrow. Damnit! I'm more of a Liverpool guy, myself. Though, I haven't been following EPL much this year, mostly cuz I've been taking time to rediscover my appreciation for the best sport of all(baseball, if you didn't know).
daedalus

Post by daedalus »

Yeah, I logged in this afternoon to find this out as well. Colour me disappointed. :(

Apparently, though, this is not exactly an isolated incident with Mike Riley. Meh.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

Football is my favorite sport to watch. I spent a lot of my growing-up years in England (Air Force brat), so I got really into the sport. My dad was (and still is) a huge Newcastle United fan, and I'd have to say I am as well. What sucks, though, is that I have no way to watch any games right now. The cost of digital cable is too rich for my blood at the moment, so I've been forced to follow everything over the internet. Which sucks.

Of course, a good friend of mine has digital cable, so whenever I'm over at her house I tend to hijack the TV and see what's going on in the ol' Premier League.
JayG

Post by JayG »

Why is the second goal irrevelent? If the Arse had any bottle they could have fought back, like most big teams do during big matches.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Watched this yesterday (at 10am here, wicked hangover but I struggled through thanks to ham, eggs, and Jack Daniels).

Sorry about the loss, Pointer. That penalty, while I'm no expert on the game, was pretty bad. I was thinking if that guy didn't take a dive, he probably could have kept going and still got a shot on goal. I guess he decided to dive assuming there would be serious contact.

Kind of killed what was a good match up to that point. It seemed like they were letting them play a chippy game too.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

JayG wrote:Why is the second goal irrevelent? If the Arse had any bottle they could have fought back, like most big teams do during big matches.
First of all, the second goal was insignificant as there was only 4 minutes to go at that point and Arsenal weren't going to score anyway, Man Utd defended quite well.

Secondly, it's "Arsenal" not "the Arse". Have some respect for the team top of the league and champions. As for having no bottle, no other team in the history of british football has gone 49 games unbeaten: that's bottle.

I don't know if you watched the game at all but Arsenal fought back well after the United first goal and in the 10 minutes after Man Utd scored have 70% possession and were looking dangerous.

Some people.

Pointer