History doesn't repeat, it rhymes

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

noxiousdog

History doesn't repeat, it rhymes

Post by noxiousdog »

News from 1930

Found this on the Motley Fool. A guy each day is going to the library and pulling the Wall Street Journal to get a feel for the day to day news and commentary to see how it compares to today's situation.

Very interesting stuff.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Re: History doesn't repeat, it rhymes

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dr. Whitney of G.E. suggests using high-frequency radio tubes for home heating to produce a “fever heat” in the body. G.E. officials say “he has not conducted any experiments ... nor is the idea backed up by any fact.”
:lol:

Who needs central heat when I can just stand in front of a microwave transmitter?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So totally busted by history:
Canadian government carries out aerial bombing raids on schools of porpoises blamed for predation on cod.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

France attempts to eliminate some tipping and restaurant/hotel service charges and taxes to promote tourism.
No tipping!
Stupid & lazy
yossar

Post by yossar »

“Got a sweetheart yet, Tillie?” “Yes, and he's a regular gentleman.” “You don't say so.” “Yes, he took me to a restaurant last night and poured tea into a saucer to cool it; but he didn't blow it like common people do – he fanned it with his hat.”

I don't get it. :(
Dreamcast Krew 4 Life
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

yossar wrote:“Got a sweetheart yet, Tillie?” “Yes, and he's a regular gentleman.” “You don't say so.” “Yes, he took me to a restaurant last night and poured tea into a saucer to cool it; but he didn't blow it like common people do – he fanned it with his hat.”

Yeah, I can't even see where I don't get it.

I'm trying to picture Fozzie or Rip Taylor going "You see. Because he's gentle and he had a hat. This stuff is funny." But I got nothing.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

yossar wrote:“Got a sweetheart yet, Tillie?” “Yes, and he's a regular gentleman.” “You don't say so.” “Yes, he took me to a restaurant last night and poured tea into a saucer to cool it; but he didn't blow it like common people do – he fanned it with his hat.”

You had to be then.

Pouring tea into a saucer to cool it is gauche, even if one uses one's hat to fan it rather than blowing it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Nade wrote:

You had to be then.

Pouring tea into a saucer to cool it is gauche, even if one uses one's hat to fan it rather than blowing it.
I would imagine that fanning with one's hat would be more so.

Doubly even. A har har har.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I think it's funny. I envision a pair of Eliza Doolittle types, pre-makeover. (And it's genteel... not gentle.)
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

“Got a sweetheart yet, Tillie?” “Yes, and he's a regular gentleman.” “You don't say so.” “Yes, he took me to a restaurant last night and poured tea into a saucer to cool it; but he didn't blow it like common people do – he fanned it with his hat.”
I guess the modern tranlation would be something like:

“Got a man yet, Tylee?” “Yeah and he's totally like, really smooth.” “Right?” “Yeah, he took me to a movie last night and in the middle he pulled out his iPhone; but he didn't talk on it like those jackasses do – he just texted and read me some tweets.”

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

And now we're famous.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

noxiousdog wrote:And now we're famous.
That's awesome.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That is awesome indeed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

"Keep yer fork, duke. There's pie!"
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Then again, as the above spam post shows, history does repeat itself sometimes...
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Well this is cool :)
:pop:
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.