Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lee

Running

Post by Lee »

Trying to get my weekly running schedule a little more planned out. Looked at books, but most of them seem geared more towards people looking to race or do a marathon, and not so much for a novice such as myself. The internet has helpful too, but it seems more than a few of the sites are trying to get you to buy something.

How much do you run? Just straight distances? Intervals? Track? Road? Warm up/cool down stretching? Active stretching?

For warm up I walk about 5-10 minutes, and then do some stretches. Cool down is the same. I feel like a jogging warm up would sap my energy before I even started my run.

I am doing a 3+2 thing. Run 3 times a week, and 2 days of so other activity (biking or cardio machines). I do intervals once a week but right now I don't really understand the best intervals to be doing. So far I have jogged for about 7 minutes, followed by 4 reps of 2 minute increased speed (about an 8 min pace) followed by 1 minute of walking and then another 7 minutes of cool down.

The other 2 days I run 5k on the neighborhood roads, but I am going really slow, a 10-10:45 minute pace. By the end I am usually pretty dead, especially since I run in a hilly area.

My goal for now is to be able to run a 10k and to get my pace closer to an 8 minute mile.

Advice? General running discussion?
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Running

Post by Zaxxon »

Lee wrote:Trying to get my weekly running schedule a little more planned out. Looked at books, but most of them seem geared more towards people looking to race or do a marathon, and not so much for a novice such as myself. The internet has helpful too, but it seems more than a few of the sites are trying to get you to buy something.
It's true that most of the training schedules you'll find are geared toward someone looking to run a particular race, but you can take these and just ignore the race at the end. Esp since you said you're looking to be able to run a 10k, I'd take a 10k program that looks good to you and play with that. I'm partial to Hal Higdon's training programs. He does sell daily training advice on his site as well as his books, but the training programs themselves are free and available on the site. He's also from Chicago, which is always a good thing. :) I've used his stuff for races of all distances up to marathon, and they've gotten me ready. He also splits his programs for each distance into Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced, so you can start at Novice and then once comfortable you can either kick up the distance and stay on Novice for the next length, or stay at the same distance and kick up to Intermediate.
How much do you run? Just straight distances? Intervals? Track? Road? Warm up/cool down stretching? Active stretching?
Before moving to CO, I ran between 20 and 45 miles/week depending on what I was training for. Since I moved here, I've been running 6 days/week, but much shorter distances, putting my weekly totals in the 15-20 mile range. I'm starting to push this up a bit, but have been spending a lot of time on P90X, so my running time is constrained right now.
For warm up I walk about 5-10 minutes, and then do some stretches. Cool down is the same. I feel like a jogging warm up would sap my energy before I even started my run.

I don't stretch before runs, but do stretch after. I just take it easy for the first mile or so.
I am doing a 3+2 thing. Run 3 times a week, and 2 days of so other activity (biking or cardio machines). I do intervals once a week but right now I don't really understand the best intervals to be doing. So far I have jogged for about 7 minutes, followed by 4 reps of 2 minute increased speed (about an 8 min pace) followed by 1 minute of walking and then another 7 minutes of cool down.
There's a lot of conflicting advice out there on the 'best' intervals, especially if you don't have a particular race goal in mind. My method has always been to do what feels right. Some days I'll run 6- or 7-minute mile repeats with relatively short rests, other days my interval is a tenth of a mile and not that much faster than the recovery pace. The important part is not to be a hero and push it, as you are a lot more likely to injure yourself on speedwork.
The other 2 days I run 5k on the neighborhood roads, but I am going really slow, a 10-10:45 minute pace. By the end I am usually pretty dead, especially since I run in a hilly area.
I've been pleasantly surprised at how P90X has helped me deal with the hills out here. Despite the fact that I've been a pretty 'serious' runner for many years, my legs as a whole were pretty weak. Running works certain leg muscles a ton, and others not so much. I'm on week 4 of P90X, and hills are already significantly less of a problem.

Outside of P90X, the cure to hill trouble is more hills. On one of your interval days, pick a decent-sized hill and run your intervals up the hill, with your recovery being the jog back down. In a couple of weeks things won't be nearly as difficult.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

An 8-minute mile is a pretty ambitious goal. I haven't been that fast since I was skinny little teenager. Then again, I don't work on sprints at all, I suppose if I did, an all-out one-mile flame-out in 8 minutes isn't out of the question, but I look for a sustainable pace over a longer distance. The main reason I run is for weight control, and while intensity does affect the calories burned, duration is a more important factor.

A number of reasons kept my training this summer from being regimented, despite having plenty of time. I've been averaging about 4 runs per week, and in the past two months, none have been under 7 miles long. I had also been working toward a half-marathon, which took place this past Sunday, so now I can probably back off a little (actually, now I have 10 days to make up for neglecting my biking to prepare for a century!)

I typically do some light stretching before I run. I should probably do a little more, my first km or so is typically bad...I feel slow and out of rhythm. When I leave the house I always have a goal in mind, and this first km I always think of excuses to abort the goal. Then I settle down, breathing becomes more regular, my pace picks up, and on some days I actually run beyond my intended goal. I run sidewalks and a path through a park; longer runs (13+ miles) are on a paved bike path that's less monotonous than running laps around a 1/2 mile loop at the park. Paved bike paths are my preferred running surface, sidewalks are too irregular and I occasionally trip and fall on broken concrete. If it were convenient for me to do so, I go run along the lakefront path it's where the highest density of cute women are to be found. Talk about inspiration...

I don't have access to an indoor track near me, but there is one across the street from a friend's house that I'll use occasionally in the winter. If there are one more more cute girls on the track (and there usually are), I don't mind it so much. Otherwise, it really can be dull. OTOH, I run faster, and the rubberized track is kind on the knees.

Post run, I walk for a while, 5-10 minutes, then finish with the same light stretching that I started with.

I made another discovery in recent months that has helped with a regimen of longer runs and oddly enough has helped performance. Unless you plan out a music play list to keep the tempo consistently fast, often your stride will quicken or slack to the beat of the music. I started listening to audiobooks when I run...not only does my pace stay consistent, but my mind can focus on something besides wishing the run was over. It might be worth a shot of you're struggling on longer runs and the issues are more mental than physical.

Back to what I consider a normal, all-purpose running program. Ideally, I would run 4x per week, 2x5k, 1x10k, and 1x10 mile. Since you want to work on speed as well, you'd probably want to replace one of the 5k runs with interval sprints; at least 30 minutes. If you're preparing for an event, such as a 10k, then replace a 5k with a 10k.

If you have an ipod Nano (I think it works with itouch too, check to make sure), a cool training aid is Nike+. A sensor/transponder goes on your shoe (Nike+ shoes have a place under the insole to put them, otherwise, you can get a velcro sleeve that attaches it to your laces) and the transceiver plugs into the ipod. It will track distance, speed, calories burned...and it retains your personal bests and congratulates you when you've surpassed them. The data then syncs to a Nike+ website, where there is performance-tracking tools. You can also set goals and enter challenges (or create them). This is the main reason I've deviated from my all-purpose running program...I'm in a series of monthly challenges (they run from the 1 to the 20th of the month) and total distance in that time is a factor. I couldn't be too competitive because of the disruption it would cause my 1/2 marathon training program, but this is the kind of thing that will keep me motivated to run in October and November when I would typically slack off. Also, at the end of October is Nike's "The Human Race." It's a 10k where people from all over the world compete...and the cool thing is you can run it anywhere. Just run a 10K that day and sync your time. Larger cities have organized events that you can join if you like...the one here last year was at Soldier Field and featured a concert by Fall Out Boy after the race.

All this talk of running makes me want to go....bike! I need to finish my coffee first.
Black Lives Matter
NetGuy

Post by NetGuy »

Definitely focus on stretching and strengthening the stabalizing muscles in your legs and hips, and make sure your strength is equal in both legs. Especially if you're going to be increasing your workload, frequency or distances.

Doing the math I ran about 10,000 miles in the past 10 years without any major injury issues, and no regular stretching or strengthening routine. Suddenly a few months back I had to quit a run early with some HORRIBLE knee pain. Turns out I have an IT band issue as a result of some weak hip stabliazer muscles and a tight IT Band. Running even a mile basically cripples me for a day or two at this point. I'm getting PT for it, but it's not an easily correctable injury and I've been forced to quit running or biking... perhaps forever.

You don't want to be me.
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I started running from nothing about 5 months ago using the Podrunner Intervals podcast. It sounds like you are beyond the First Day to 5K series but you might find the 8K or 10K series helpful. I am just finishing the 8K and have been running local 5Ks all summer. Basically, it is house or techno or electronic or dance music (whatever you call it) of a specified fast BPM and slow BPM. The intervals of walking and running gradually build up to where you are running the complete distance. The good part is that you do not have to worry about the BPM varying and it tells you when to speed up and slow down so you don't need to think about that either. The 8K series has also had running tips from Jenny Hatfield (I guess she has written a book about running) that are helpful. I credit this podcast with me being able to get up to running an 8K now without too much trouble.

Here is a link: http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If you want to improve your sprinting skills try cutting down trees. I never can get them to fall the way I want.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lee

Post by Lee »

Thanks for the links and ideas guys. Very helpful posts. I am making my own mock up plan right now based on books, links, and posts in this thread. I am going to try and do some intervals up a hill here in a few minutes. I also get the impression I need to keep pushing myself to run more than the 5k I have been doing for the last couple of weeks. Sounds like I need to push for a 4 mile run on Saturday.

The problem with a lot of the more advanced plans is that I really can't run every day. Every other day is still hard enough on my shins that I need a least a day to recover.

I don't think 8 minute miles is too ambitious Jeff. For work I need to be able to do a mile and a half in 12 minutes, so I want that to be about my pace for longer runs. Then when it comes to doing my test at work the mile and a half will be easy. My biggest obstacle here is weight though. At just over 200 pounds I really need to lose the weight to get faster.

I bought one of the fancy Garmin watches to work out with a few weeks ago (400CX), so I get excellent feedback on my runs for the most part. Plus its great to just set it to tell me when my 5k is up and I can just run wherever until it tells me to stop. Also really good for setting intervals.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lee wrote:Thanks for the links and ideas guys. Very helpful posts. I am making my own mock up plan right now based on books, links, and posts in this thread. I am going to try and do some intervals up a hill here in a few minutes. I also get the impression I need to keep pushing myself to run more than the 5k I have been doing for the last couple of weeks. Sounds like I need to push for a 4 mile run on Saturday.
The general rule for injury prevention is not to increase your longest run of the week by more than 10% or 1 mile each week, whichever is smaller, as well as to have a 'step-back' week every few weeks where your longest run is a bit shorter to allow your body to recover.
The problem with a lot of the more advanced plans is that I really can't run every day. Every other day is still hard enough on my shins that I need a least a day to recover.
The nice thing about distance running is that you don't have to run every day. It's much more important that you get a good long run in each week than it is to get a ton of separate runs in. Your body will adjust.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Do you guys street run with headphones on? I want to, but figure it probably isn't smart.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lee wrote:Do you guys street run with headphones on? I want to, but figure it probably isn't smart.
I don't run, but I do use headphones on a regular basis at work. I usually only put one in so that I can maintain some semblance of situational awareness. It doesn't work great for artists that like to channel switch in stereo, but I find it rare enough that it doesn't bother me.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lee wrote:Do you guys street run with headphones on? I want to, but figure it probably isn't smart.
I don't run on the street that often, but I don't have a problem using headphones when I do (of course I'm not running on busy streets ever). Run on the opposite side so you can see traffic coming at you, and keep the volume low enough that you can hear sounds around you. There's still a chance that a car coming from behind you is going to swerve across lanes and take you out, but if that's the case, you're really not *that* much safer without headphones, either.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

The only time I don't wear headphones is when I'm racing, when I'm not allowed. I wear them in both ears running, and only in my right ear on the bike so I can still hear traffic noise on the road side (that is pushing unsafe :))

I'm switching from doing a lot of weight lifting to training for another Ironman now. My goal before winter, however, is to run a 5k in under 20 minutes. I'm at about 20:45 right now.

I run 3 days a week. Typically I'll do intervals on Tuesday, when I'll go basically all out for 1/4 or 1/2 mile (slightly slower for the 1/2 mile), then walk for 30 seconds to a minute. Rinse and repeat 6 to 8 times. Thursday and Sunday I'll do 3 to 6 miles each time. I have 1 year before Ironman, so I'll be increasing my distance starting basically now. I've had injuries related to increasing distance too fast in the past, so I am going to do it slowly. I will stick to 3 days a week running though. Probably 3 running, 3 biking, and 3 swimming. I'm trying to donate plasma while doing this, so that will happen on swim days.

Intervals are the key to getting faster, or at least they have been for me over the past few years. The Garmin should be a big help, since you can monitor your pace throughout the run.

Eating a proper diet helps in more ways than just losing weight, also. If I eat crappy, I won't gain much weight, but I'll be slower than if I'm eating healthy. Once you start running 4 to 5+ miles, protein shakes will help rebuild your leg muscles.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Fishy wrote:My goal before winter, however, is to run a 5k in under 20 minutes. I'm at about 20:45 right now.
You used the word 'another' before 'Ironman'. This tells me that breaking 20 minutes is possible for you. Good luck!
Intervals are the key to getting faster, or at least they have been for me over the past few years. The Garmin should be a big help, since you can monitor your pace throughout the run.
I agree on both points. No matter what distance I'm training for, I try to have one day each week where I'm doing some form of speedwork, usually intervals.
Eating a proper diet helps in more ways than just losing weight, also. If I eat crappy, I won't gain much weight, but I'll be slower than if I'm eating healthy. Once you start running 4 to 5+ miles, protein shakes will help rebuild your leg muscles.
A good diet sure does help--a lot more than most people seem to think. Even more important than the protein shakes, IMO, is a fairly high-carb diet. If you're running more than 20 miles/week or so, withhold carbs at your peril.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Zaxxon wrote:You used the word 'another' before 'Ironman'. This tells me that breaking 20 minutes is possible for you. Good luck!
I suppose I haven't been around here much lately. I finished Ironman Florida in November 2008. I wasn't very fast. I finished in 14 hours 42 minutes and 14 seconds. But finishing is not bad considering that a year before the race I was unable to run even a mile because of patellar tendonitis.

Also, I'm single again now, so I have a ton of time to train. I've been focusing on weight lifting for the past 3 months, but have also dropped from 182 pounds (about my weight at Ironman also) to about 168 pounds. I'll see what my body fat ends up being in 3 more weeks, but I'm hoping it is around 7%.
A good diet sure does help--a lot more than most people seem to think. Even more important than the protein shakes, IMO, is a fairly high-carb diet. If you're running more than 20 miles/week or so, withhold carbs at your peril.
This is also true. I'm going to do more research on proper diet throughout my Ironman training. I'm making use of my ample time to prepare for this next Ironman so I can eat and train properly. But yes, carbs will give you energy to burn during running. Like everything though, it has its saturation point. I'm going to try to get my eating down to a science since I sucked at it last year, but usually that can be generalized down into easier-to-follow guidelines. I just don't know what they are yet.

I just eat following the Abs Diet from Men's Health and try to eat about as much protein as I can get my hands on. I get to hear my blood protein levels twice a week from donating plasma, and it is usually fairly low. If you are building muscle (what I'm trying now) they say to get 1 gram per pound of body weight. I'm guessing that in endurance training, you'll probably want to maintain that level, but increase your carbs and calories. Just a guess though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, both are important. As you move from weight-lifting to endurance training as a focus, the scale will definitely tip toward carbs over protein, though. When running, it's true that you're breaking down muscle, but not nearly to the level that you do while weight-training. What's happening more than breakdown is a depletion of glycogen stores, and the fuel for those is carbs, carbs, carbs.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I mostly run on the sidewalk, but occasionally venture on the street. I wear headphones. I do this when I bike though, which is mostly on the street. I just don't have it cranked to "tune out the universe" volume, and I'm always looking around me. Occasionally, I'll be one of "those idiots" running on the bike path, drifting into the middle of the lane, then not hear a bicycle coming up behind me. But not too often.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote:[A good diet sure does help--a lot more than most people seem to think. Even more important than the protein shakes, IMO, is a fairly high-carb diet. If you're running more than 20 miles/week or so, withhold carbs at your peril.
Yes, yes you can drink more beer when you run. :D

The half-marathon last Sunday earned me almost a 12-pack. :P

Protein is most important 30-60 minutes after the run, when it will be available to help rebuild muscles damaged in the run. I don't like eating on a full stomach, so I'll always have something after, but I'm not diligent enough to ensure that something includes protein (when my run ends up at the bakery, it most certainly does not).
Black Lives Matter
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Jeff V wrote:I don't like eating on a full stomach, so I'll always have something after, but I'm not diligent enough to ensure that something includes protein (when my run ends up at the bakery, it most certainly does not).
I don't like eating on a full stomach either. I typically find that I'm already full.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Fishy wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I don't like eating on a full stomach, so I'll always have something after, but I'm not diligent enough to ensure that something includes protein (when my run ends up at the bakery, it most certainly does not).
I don't like eating on a full stomach either. I typically find that I'm already full.
:doh: I mean running on a full stomach.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Zaxxon wrote:No matter what distance I'm training for, I try to have one day each week where I'm doing some form of speedwork, usually intervals.
What does speedwork consist of besides intervals?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Repeats, tempo runs, short-n-fast, intervals... Most are really forms of intervals.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Do some fartleks.

I just wanted to say the word.

Fartlek (teehee)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just make sure you're not behind the guy doing the farting.
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I find that when running on the road with headphones it is not the cars that are a problem but the dogs. You can't hear them coming and usually they come up from behind and scare the shit out of me. Generally, they stay at least arms length away but I was bitten once.

There is one dog I pass every time I run. When I first started he used to go apeshit the entire time I was passing his property. Now he will sometimes wander out to the edge of the road to look at me as I go by. Assuming he is not busy with something else like licking his balls.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

impressive runs, i cant run much at all due to problematic knee, so it is shocking to me that someone can run marathon and not have knee problems. I can probably run 5 block before starting to feel pain.
If anyone have any suggestions on how to stop pains, that would be good. As young kid, i used to run up to the tree at full speed (it was under light angle) and then jump off about 7 feet high, was a cool for by stander, but shock of those jumps still affecting my knees. Was probably not my smartest decison.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Matrix wrote:impressive runs, i cant run much at all due to problematic knee, so it is shocking to me that someone can run marathon and not have knee problems. I can probably run 5 block before starting to feel pain.
If anyone have any suggestions on how to stop pains, that would be good. As young kid, i used to run up to the tree at full speed (it was under light angle) and then jump off about 7 feet high, was a cool for by stander, but shock of those jumps still affecting my knees. Was probably not my smartest decison.
See a doctor?

About 6-7 years ago, I'd be in pain walking around the block. A half mile walk down a beach once nearly did me in. Not only were my knees in pain, but I had severe lower back pain. Oddly enough, I could ride a bike 100 miles and the only discomfort was a sore ass.

An MRI revealed my kneecaps shifted off center, and the edge of the patella was digging into the soft tissue it was meant to protect. This was caused by the over-development of a muscle that connects to the knee...cause by a steady diet of biking. The PT took a look at it, then asked if I had lower back pain as well. It was all connected. A few sessions with the PT to learn some exercises that strengthened opposing muscles did the trick.

Occasionally, I'll have some knee trouble when running, but that usually happens when my weight gets up. My weight has been good all summer, and I've had no problems with the knees at all. Last summer was the opposite, and I could hardly run at all.
Black Lives Matter
NetGuy

Post by NetGuy »

Matrix wrote:impressive runs, i cant run much at all due to problematic knee, so it is shocking to me that someone can run marathon and not have knee problems. I can probably run 5 block before starting to feel pain.
See a doctor ++. Your knee pain could be anything. As I mentioned above, I have very severe knee pain when I run because of a tight IT band in my leg. After 3 sessions of PT I can already tell it's having a positive effect.

You might have some sort of weak muscle or misaligned tendon that can be cleared up with a little bit of PT work, or you might have something structurally wrong with your knee. Only a doctor can diagnose that for you. Either way it's probably going to get worse rather than better if it's untreated.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've been lucky not to have any major knee injuries in 15 years running, but I've learned one big lesson via several friends: do not mess with knee pain. See a doctor. If you keep pushing it when there's a more serious issue there, you're risking your future ability to do lots of things.
Grey Fox

Post by Grey Fox »

When is a good time to run?
Early morning?
Right after work? (around 5 PM)
After dinner? (I don't think I would like that :P)
At night before going to bed?

And when I say run, I probably mean walk, cause I am so freakin' out of shape :P
GreyFox.me - A blog about Gaming and Me| Latest Article | Latest Comic | Latest Image | Latest Video |
Grey Fox @ CivFanatics
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SolidDread | http://soliddread.deviantart.com
NetGuy

Post by NetGuy »

Whenever you have time.... seriously. Timing isn't terribly important and different people prefer different times. Conventional wisdom will caution you to not work out right before you go to bed since it can interfere with getting to sleep.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I don't like running within 2 hours after eating, therefore I run best in the morning before breakfast. Sometimes though it's hard to go from bed to pavement. Before dinner is my second best time to go...after work (when I'm working). Since I've not been working, early afternoon has been a frequent option, and only twice this summer have I run after dark. When I was working and biking to work, mornings weren't good for running, and I'd be too hungry to run when I got home, so 9 pm or so was my usual time, although I'd flop to early mornings on weekends.

So it doesn't really matter when...just whatever works best.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Jeff V wrote:I don't like running within 2 hours after eating, therefore I run best in the morning before breakfast.
Same, I run an hour or two after eating something small. I seem to run worse on an empty stomach. Since my work schedule fluctuates so much, I just run whenever I get a chance.

Seems winter hit today, 37 degrees, raining, and windy. And it's a run day for me. Except I don't own any sweat pants.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's snowing down here. 30 degrees. Ridiculous. So much for my lunchtime run...
stessier

Post by stessier »

I thought you guys were in Chicago. I'm in WI and it's sunny and 80. This has been a weird summer...
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lee is in the Great White North, and I'm in Colorado.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote:Lee is in the Great White North, and I'm in Colorado.

Ah, all is right in my world then. :)

(Stinks about your weather though!)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's a good day to run here in Chicago today (cloudy and 65), except I was only planning to run once or twice this week -- I'm still hoping to ride a century this Sunday. So far, the weather forecast for the weekend isn't looking too good. I'm not riding 100 miles if it's raining.

I'm still hoping to get motivated to go for a ride this afternoon. I just feel tired and lazy now after having to make an unexpected trip downtown shortly after waking up this morning (I blame caffeine deficiency).
Black Lives Matter
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Dreadnought wrote:When is a good time to run?
Early morning?
Right after work? (around 5 PM)
After dinner? (I don't think I would like that :P)
At night before going to bed?
Yes!

Zaxxon, what is wrong with running in the snow? I'll run outside as long as it is above single digits. This winter might be tougher though since I have way less body fat to keep me warm.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Fishy wrote:Zaxxon, what is wrong with running in the snow? I'll run outside as long as it is above single digits. This winter might be tougher though since I have way less body fat to keep me warm.
It's not so much running in the snow as it is moving from 80 degrees and sunny directly into OMG IT'S COLD, SLIPPERY, and BLINDING mode overnight. I'm not there yet. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote:
Fishy wrote:Zaxxon, what is wrong with running in the snow? I'll run outside as long as it is above single digits. This winter might be tougher though since I have way less body fat to keep me warm.
It's not so much running in the snow as it is moving from 80 degrees and sunny directly into OMG IT'S COLD, SLIPPERY, and BLINDING mode overnight. I'm not there yet. :)
It usually takes me a good month to make the transition to winter. But I too run in single-digit weather come December and January. Oddly enough, that's not as uncomfortable as running in 30-50 degree weather. Above 50, you can dress minimally and be fine once you warm up. Below 30, you don't overheat in heavier clothing. The 30-50 range typically has me rolling up my sleeves and wondering what to do with the gloves once I'm warmed up. Sometimes, I'll start by doing a loop that takes me back to my house and I can just discard the excess outerwear on my front lawn as I run by.
Black Lives Matter