Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

SI PBEM Game 2 AAR

Post by LordMortis »

Invitations are out.
Zarathud

Re: SI PBEM Game 2 AAR

Post by Zarathud »

"Ah, this Stronghold seems to suit my nefarious purposes. Now where are my minions? My twenty-six legions...

It is time to bind all of Hell under a new infernal Covenant. Bow before my powerful and terrible might now, and my heel shall press ever so less upon your spine for the rest of eternity."

Thus spoke the master, Zarathud, as he sent forth the messenger to the Conclave.
Spoiler:
Goetic Codename for this build: Berith
More details once the turn 1 is officially underway.

My Avatar in this game is based on the Great Duke of Hell Berith in the Goetic Tradition:

A demon who tells things of the past, present and future with true answers; he can also turn all metals into gold, give dignities to men and confirm them. He is depicted as a soldier wearing red clothes, a golden crown, and riding a red horse; according to other grimoires his skin is red too.

By tradition, Berith turns metals into gold for humans. In game, I started with a Charisma build to maximize tribute starting in Turn 1. My public objective is Wrath, which should make my enemies pause before incurring my Vendetta. My goal is to build up Intellect for the bonus ritual slots (and extra order) and Marital Powers. He is Paranoid, which gives a +4 bonus against the Deceit of enemies.

My rivals in this game include Sepiche (Duke/Greed), Ark-Nerd (Duke/Lust), Mortis (Prince/Gluttony), Sraal (Marquis/Lust), and Baphomet (Baron/Lust). That's 2 Princes who will resist my demands, and 3 Lust objectives.

My position is excellent. The Gates of Hell (+2 Prestige) are safe for later conquest, which gives me an opportunity to strike for the Unholy Fountain (+1 Prestige) which gives +2 to Tribute rolls. If Ark-Nerd or Sepiche take it, they will have started a Vendetta and eventual Blood Feud. I also have room to expand in the northern wastes.

Ark-Nerd faces an interesting choice -- pursue his public objective of Lust (Garden of Infernal Delight) or make a play for the Unholy Fountain. Will Sepiche cross his realm to compete with me? If he does, he risks losing two Strongholds within 3 or 4 spaces of his start.

I will start to expand with an eye towards provoking conflict. The others must fear my mighty legions. If I lose in the Bazaar, I will use the tribute to strengthen my existing legion.
Last edited by Zarathud on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not reading spoilers until the game is over is going to kill me.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, it's really painful. Here I thought an AAR thread would be a good idea...
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Woo hoo! I can actually read the spoilers in this thread!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Son of a...still learning the game, still reading the manual.

I'll get in on the next one, hopefully.

LM, the only reason I didn't lose as much sleep as you is that I don't understand some of the game mechanics and it was too late to sit and just read the manual.

This game is the only one where I brought the laptop to bed and played right before sleep time with southpark on in the background. I've never played a computer game in bed before. Not sure if this is progress or regression. Either way, fun game. Different.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote:LM, the only reason I didn't lose as much sleep as you is that I don't understand some of the game mechanics and it was too late to sit and just read the manual.
That was me all last week and weekend. I finally found some time to start experimenting and asking questions coming in to last weekend. I'm still not fully clear. I don't have rituals down at all which I am sure will be the death of me in a people game. I don't fully grasp artifacts and relics and when they get placed where. When are effects universal and when are they on specific legions? But I've got enough to go on I think. I'll be up for the next round of game as well. I figure I could one to three turns of up to three games a day pretty well.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Artifacts can only get attached to legions, and affect only that legion. Relics can only get attached to Places of Power or a ritual slot, and will only start giving their bonuses when in one of those two places.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Here goes nothing...
Spoiler:
Sent in my Avatar, Baphomet. I'm a Baron of Hell, public objective of Lust, with Martial 2, Cunning 2, Intellect 1, Wickedness 1, Charisma 3. I've only tested this guy once, so this could be interesting. Playing solo games I tend to spend a lot of time gathering resources rather than moving against my opponents, mostly because the AI doesn't make a lot of moves either it seems.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Yeah, this is going to be tough not reading the spoilers here, but I shall prevail! I'll write something up tonight to give the viewing public my initial stats/ideas of what I'm going to try to do.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Meet Ark-Nerd! Titan of the Underworld, Lord of the Apocalypse, Chewer of babies! RARR!
Spoiler:
So, here's what I'm going into this game with. No real plan yet, lets see what the board looks like.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Spoiler:
The creatively named Lord Sepiche has joined the competition for the crown of hell. I went with Prince, Charisma 3, Martial 1, Wickedness 1, and Greed. In the other online game I'm in I just learned the hard way the power of destruction magic, so I'm going to try a slightly more low key strategy this time and try to rely on my magic to get me out of any vendettas.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And the game is a foot. I'll post my guy when I find a host clean things up, which probably won't be tonight. Dinner is on and I am probably going to watch football but I'll still process turns as I get them.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A normal sized world is tight. We are stacked on each other. LordMortis is ready for the challenge.
Spoiler:
There is no opening plan. There is one really nice place of power. One that gives plus two tribute but my first real goal is to get a tough preator. Both the melee first and inferno first preators are available. So that's my first mission. I'm a long way off. Also of note is a +4 tribute relic.

Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Ugh.
Spoiler:
What a horrible fucking starting location. Mortis to my SW, Sepiche to the NE and I don't know who to the NW. That is Pandemonium directly below my Legion. If Sepiche wants, he can completely block me off from the Face In The Sand PoP on our second turn. He's a higher rank than me and his Legion is more powerful than mine anyways.

Since this is going to completely change the way I have to play this game with no room to maneuver, I am putting in a turn one bid on the Infernal Engine. It will give my Legion +2 to Melee, Range and Infernal attacks. Costs 4 Souls and 6 Hellfire, I had to bid 5 and 6 due to my Tribute cards. If I land it, it will be assigned to my Legion next turn as I try to get to the PoP. If I get it and can't connect with the PoP, this is going to be an ugly, ugly game for me.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

There be Dragons Here.
Spoiler:
So, I got a pretty good starting spot. I'm basically on my own Island, with my public objective (the mushroom) right next to me and only easily accessible to myself. Which is good, because 2 of the others have Lust objectives as well.
A little to the North is the Unholy Fountain, which grants its owner +1 Prestige per turn AND +2 to tribute rolls. I want it, but I won't be able to reach it before Zarathud and Sepiche. I'll let them fight over it. Instead I'm going to work on securing the other bridges to my Island... the first one is to the West. I can beat Sepiche there if he heads for the fountain...
To the SE on the other side of the river are the lands of Mortis... Unless we get some flyers he's actually pretty far away.
I'm nowhere near Pandemonium, so I guess it won't even be an option for me. Also, the starting turn order has me going last, which is a bummer. I also think I got cheated on my starting Legion, they're not all that great for me being a Prince... 5/4/5 with 9 HP and Level 4. Not terrible but Sepiche has a better Legion and he's only a Marquis.

My orders for the first turn are move my Legion to the West to secure the bridge and Place of Power over there, and to hopefully pick up a Praetor, Furfur. He's pretty good, and I have a perfect use for him if I get him. *One note, after I took this screen shot I decided to send my Legion just south of the mountain in the middle of my island, just in case Sepiche cuts me off I'll have more options.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

The plot thinkens...
Spoiler:
Not really. Still pretty thin gruel.

Turn 1

I got a pretty good start. My high charisma also gave me more tribute at the start of the game, but I am pretty short on souls sadly. I'll try to get a few more next turn and if I get lucky and get a few I'll make a try to get the +4 tribute artifact that's in the bazaar.

In addition there are two weak PoP near me, but I'll only likely get a shot at one. I'm going for the one on my border with Zara that will also give me a +2 to tribute in addition to some prestige. If I get really lucky and get the artifact and the PoP that will give me a total +6 bonus to tribute which should give me a large boost in resources. Even if Zara goes for that one I'm only 2 turns away and I get the regency next turn. That should guarantee that I get the PoP as long as I move in the first phase.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yes, these AARs are much more entertaining to read when you can read the spoilers.

I'll sell secrets for money! :twisted:
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Chaz wrote:Yes, these AARs are much more entertaining to read when you can read the spoilers.

I'll sell secrets for money! :twisted:
I'm Jealous.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

OK I have everyone's turn. They are all in the the ..\My Documents\SoliumInfernumGame\MultiPlayerSaves\OOPBEM2 folder. When I go to end the turn, none of them show up so I can't advance the turn. :? I am shown as the only player with a check mark and it a message window under game status says "Wrong turn: Player name"

I'm off to look things up on their forums, I guess.

Edit: nothing on the forums that I could find.

Edit: I went to go post exactly what I said here on their forums but I have to wait for administrative approval to post on their website. Sorry guys. :(
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I posted on your behalf. -on vic's forums.

edit again: are you using the latest patch?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Updated above to tempt my foes into surrender after reading my grand strategy: do not touch my stuff, or face my wrath.

I have an excellent position on the board, and very pleased that I'm not competing in the 3-way competition of Lust .
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I knew I should have taken Greed!

Edit - And Mortis took my avatar. <shakes fist>
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

LordMortis wrote:OK I have everyone's turn. They are all in the the ..\My Documents\SoliumInfernumGame\MultiPlayerSaves\OOPBEM2 folder. When I go to end the turn, none of them show up so I can't advance the turn. :? I am shown as the only player with a check mark and it a message window under game status says "Wrong turn: Player name"

I'm off to look things up on their forums, I guess.

Edit: nothing on the forums that I could find.

Edit: I went to go post exactly what I said here on their forums but I have to wait for administrative approval to post on their website. Sorry guys. :(
Help is on the way?

http://www.crypticcomet.com/forums/view ... f=11&t=759" target="_blank
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Archinerd wrote:I posted on your behalf. -on vic's forums.

edit again: are you using the latest patch?
I am running 1.4a. Thanx for forwarding the post. I got my confirmation this morning. I'll check by there as soon as my workday settles in a little.

Edit: Helpful forum members. Someone else had the same problem. Said that he had all his players upgraded to 1.4a, resave their turns and resubmit them and everything was OK.

Sorry to make launching the game a pain. :( We almost got a full turn in and everything yesterday.

Kelric wrote:I knew I should have taken Greed!

Edit - And Mortis took my avatar. <shakes fist>
What's greed do again?

It was my avatar. Now I just have to worry about the Stygian Warriors or whatever they're called. I chose the moniker Mortis way back when because it was a persona for comic book that me and some friends were playing around with in high school. Our comic book was called Stygian Shore. So the naming convention is a weakness of mine even if the unit sucks.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I just thought of something. Do you have any previous .trn files from us? I've been overwriting the .trn files in the game I am hosting. The Process Turn screen only sees the latest files from my players even if their previous .trn is still in the folder.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Archinerd wrote:I just thought of something. Do you have any previous .trn files from us? I've been overwriting the .trn files in the game I am hosting. The Process Turn screen only sees the latest files from my players even if their previous .trn is still in the folder.
I do but they all say name(2).trn, I think...

One moment while I check my email.

That is probably the problem. I think firefox sees that the old files exist, doesn't write over them and makes new ones. What a pain. Having never run a game before, I just assumed that was how it was supposed to work. I'll go home during lunch and try and redo everything.

First turn bugs. Once I get in the rhythm It'll all be good.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Problem solved game turn sent to all you aggressive, aggressive devils. I could be in trouble.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Looks good. Turn 2 commences...
Spoiler:
Well I got enough souls now for the relic, but I'm still short on darkness. With luck I'll get it next turn, but if not maybe I'll get lucky and the +1 order relic will turn up. Couple of people grabbed praetors too so I'll have to keep an eye out for praetor vendettas. Those can really catch you flat footed if you don't have a praetor of your own. I also got an event that will raise the cost of all minimum bids in the bazaar, so I might throw that out there after I grab a couple things to try to slow everyone else down as I get more tribute.

For now my legion is marching toward the PoP I mentioned and is in good shape to take it. The other weak PoP near me is likely to get gobbled up in a turn or two before I can get there, but there is another level 4 place of power just north of me that I might be able to at least get close to if I play my cards right, but Zara will likely head toward that one once he realizes he won't get the other place of power.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
I got the Engine and Sepiche is moving in the opposite direction. While this whole sequence leaves me woefully short of resources it does guarantee me one PoP for now. Since that is the only one I am likely to get, it was necessary. I don't see being able to challenge Pandemonium at all as there is even with a unit in support I don't think I will be powerful enough to take the city and leave myself excommunicated. For now I march on the Face In The Sand and maybe, MAYBE, get access to the other PoP east of me (but no way can I control it).
Lars

Post by Lars »

Ok, here's how I'm starting out:
Spoiler:

That's my starting stats. The first thing I did was up my Charisma to 3, as I want to have a decent amount of tribute coming in at the start. I'm also going to try out the perk "Fiendish Energy", which will allow all legions under my control an extra +1 movement, which I'm hoping will come in handy for the early land grab cycle. I would like to have a decent starting legion, but I'm not worried about having too high of a rank, so I settled on Marquis. The only problem was, I didn't have enough points left to take Marquis, so I took Lust as my public objective, which gives me back 3 points so I can just get to Marquis. So, with Lust, I need to control either The Garden of Infernal Delights or The Temple of Lust at the end of the game to win 30 prestige. I'm just going to have to hope one of them is near me when the game starts.

I wasn't worried about putting points into any other stats. I'm hoping my high charisma will allow me the flexibility to raise up the attribute path I'll need once I see what the board looks like. I like having some flexibility, as my starting location and the locations of the places of power will have an effect on what I try to do. Ideally, what I would like to do is grab a PoP or two to get some steady Prestige income, but not get out in to a big lead in Prestige, as I don't wish to draw everyone's attention and ire. I have no idea if this is a valid strategy or not, but I'm thinking I might try going up the Prophecy path, which would give me options on choosing secret objective cards. With a couple secret objectives acquired (and hopefully completed), I could lie in the weeds, not attracting attention, and get a huge Prestige bonus at the end and take the victory. But as I said, the board itself will have a big say in what happens.

The first turn is in, and here is the map; the most interesting part, for me:

....... at the top right of the map is the Garden of Infernal Delights, which I need to control at the end of the game to get my public objective. The problem is, there are 2 other players with the same objective, and one of them already borders the Garden: Ark-Nerd. Not good for me. It looks like I can make it to the Garden in 2 turns, however, Ark-Nerd will be ahead of me in the turn order, and can cut me off on the 2nd turn. So, I'm going to move my starting Legion 3 squares directly northeast. From there, I can either take a shot at the Garden, or head to the north and take the Iron Staircase with that legion, which would give me a +1 Prestige. I'm hoping that Ark-Nerd doesn't realize the speed of my legion, and thinks he's safe with the Garden, and moves north instead.

For my second order, I'm going to bid on these guys:

With the mountains around me, the flying will come in handy, and I need to start working on grabbing land to my south and west. There is another Place of Power I could get to in that direction. Wish me luck!
Lars

Post by Lars »

Here's how the diplomacy screen looks as of Turn 2:

Just so everyone is clear (including myself), the leaders are:

Srraal = Lars
Sepiche = Sepiche
Duke Zarathud = Zarathud
Baphomet = Kelric
Mortis = LordMortis
Ark-Nerd = Archinerd
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kudos to Lars for using a hosting provider for images which isn't blocked by my employer (yet?)!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
So Lars is a speedy bitch eh? Good thing I changed which way my Legion was moving... otherwise he'd beat me to the mushrooms. Can't have that, so this turn I'm going to cut him off at the bridge - I bet he tries to stop my Legion with a Ritual, but I'm going to hope it fails. I also won the auction for my Praetor, but before I put him to use I'm going to build up a little wealth.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Turn 3 is out. And I sit on the most crappy resource shortage ever. I fear Seppiche found what he was looking for already.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Treachery!
Spoiler:
Sepiche decides to compete for the Unholy Fountain, while Ark-Nerd predictably pursues his public goal. My guess is that Sepiche picked up the Praetor who boosts Infernal. The fool must know that I'm not going to accept his possession of my pretty fountain. I need to have somewhere to wash off the blood on my hands....

Sraal needed the Darkwing Legion I had my eye on to aggressively expand in the north, and outbid me in the bazzar. Worst of all is that the Hell Ballista was also purchased this turn -- removing my second expansion option for a +2 Range/Melee/Infernal plus double damage. Perhaps it was Baphomet preparing for an assault on Hell's capital. I will need to bide my time before striking.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
With the bridge blocked off, I'm now sending my Legion to capture the Iron Staircase before my rivals do. I have also decided to insult my dear friend and neighbor Mortis. He lives across the river, as all filth do. Hopefully he rolls over and takes it and grants me a nice bonus to prestige... but if he doesn't then hopefully I can send Furfur over to settle the matter.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
Sepiche took the Unholy Fountain, giving me clear access to Sandy Face. Archinerd captured the bridge to secure the Gardens of Infernal Delight (just off-screen), which is a place I need for my public objective of Lust. Oh well. He does open the way for me to try and get access to the Iron Staircase, though he can probably take it before I do. I have to hope he thinks I will take Sandy Face and so he goes to capture the Gardens next turn.

I'm going to skip capturing Sandy Face and make a run for the Staircase while I still can. That, and get resources. I desperately need resources.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Spoiler:
I don't have much to say but I feel like I should be spoilering something :ninja:

I did make a bit on a relic this turn. I think it was called Bellit. If offers +4 tribute to your tribute rolls. I know in a multiplayer game you can not control every aspect of the game like you attempt to do against the computer, but I am still going to start the same way. Control the spice and control the universe.

I am getting none of the little fire symbols as tribute and it's costing me already. I was hoping to be able to do one of the following by now 1) Get one of the two main preators, the melee first guy or (preferably) the inferno first guys 2) upgrade my intelligence 3) upgrade my charisma. Barring that I had hoped be able to bid on the Mind Burn manuscript before someone laps it up. No flames is killing me.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote:Turn 3 is out. And I sit on the most crappy resource shortage ever. I fear Seppiche found what he was looking for already.
You bastard! I was looking for an extra "P" for my name and you seem to have beaten me to it!
Zarathud wrote: Treachery!
Dare I guess I might the the treacherous one in question? I personally didn't really want that PoP, but my people... they demanded it, and I'm not the type of demon to let down my people. And by "my people" I mean "my sycophantic flagellants".