Solium Infernum - PBEM the Third

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Solium Infernum - PBEM the Third

Post by El Guapo »

I posted about this in the first SI AAR thread, but I thought I'd bring it into a new thread, especially since ideally this would turn into an AAR eventually as well. Having finished Dragon Age last week I finally turned to figure out how to play SI. Now I kind of sort of know how (poorly), so I'm up for a PBEM game. Who else is in?

Zarathud PM'd me earlier. So right now our line up is:

me
Zarathud
ZOD
Toxo
Sepiche
NickAragua

Incidentally, I'm going to preemptively call for a separate forum for SI PBEM games.
Last edited by El Guapo on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Re: Solium Infernum - PBEM the Third

Post by Chaz »

Wish I could join, but I'm in three already and am having trouble keeping the different games straight as is. A fourth would just confuse the hell out of me.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
ZOD

Post by ZOD »

I'll join, I'm currently in (just) one, and I really want some more SI time than I'm getting.

Plus I'm dead last in the other game :)
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm in 2, both of which seem to be stalled. I'm tempted to jump into this one, but I'll be tied up with my Home Shows for the next 3 weeks so it will have to wait. :cry:
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Cool, I've added Zod, before whom I shall not kneel. So where do people find SI games (other than here, obviously)?
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If you haven't started and aren't full before I get a new PC then I'm in but I wouldn't want you to wait on me. I'm still waiting for confirmation that my machine has been ordered from Dell. But I might run up Best Buy today and see if they have anything comparable at comparable prices post Christmas. If they do then Dell might lose from having been too slow.
ZOD

Post by ZOD »

We could try asking at the cryptic comet forums.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I'm in if I have a day or three to get an intarweb connection that doesn't involve stealing a neighbor's unsecured wireless signal. Now I just hope they aren't logging my keystrokes...
Toxo

Post by Toxo »

I'd be in for this as our one other game is a bit stalled.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

This is tempting, but I'm going to have to pass, I have a feeling that the 4 games I am are all going to suddenly be very active very soon...

I look forward to reading the spoiler tags.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Cool - I've added Toxo. I think I'll wait a couple more days for people here to sign up, then post on the Cryptic Comet forums.
Black Lives Matter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Sorry, been busy with the holidays. I'm in!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'll jump in - I'll grab the game once I've got a handle on how to play the demo (should be within a day or two).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ok, great - looks like we have our lineup, per above. Zarathud has already PM'd me his e-mail address; the rest of you (ZOD, Toxo, Sepiche, & NickAragua) should PM me to let me know which e-mail address you would like me to use.

Tonight I'll look through the "setting up the game" materials, but it doesn't seem too complicated. I'm moving tomorrow, but I should be able to get the game set up later this week (probably Wednesday night or Thursday) if that works for people.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ok, I've got everyone's e-mail address right now except for Sepiche's.

Also, does anyone have any preference as to the map we use? I was thinking the mountain one - Dante's Peak, IIRC - but I'm fine with whatever.
Black Lives Matter.
ZOD

Post by ZOD »

Sounds fine to me.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Sure. That map would help to keep the different games clear for those in another PBEM game.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Toxo

Post by Toxo »

Fine with me.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I have no idea so it's also fine with me.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ok, cool. It looks like I won't have an internet connection tonight, so I'll fire the game up either tomorrow evening or Friday morning.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hey, so invites are out. I set up the game, and it generated invite files for me to send out. I e-mailed them to each of you a few minutes ago. I'm not sure how it works - how you use them to join the game, but hopefully it should be intuitive. Post here if there are any problems.

The game name is MountainUnderlords. Normal map size, uncommon PoPs, normal game length - the default set up, basically (with the mountain map).
Black Lives Matter.
ZOD

Post by ZOD »

You put the files in the MultiplayerGames - NewGames start folder. Then run the game and pick 'MountainUnderlords' in the multiplayer games ection, and load up your avatar.

Once you pick the avatar, it creates a new folder in the MultiplayerGames folder called 'MountainUnderlords.' The .trn file in that folder is what you send to the game host every round. The gamehost will generate a game file every turn he sends back out, and it's copied back into the MultiplayerGames-MountainUnderlords folder.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ok, not too complicated (though I would think that there would be an easier way to automate this). Anywho, just need turn replies from Sepiche and NickAragua.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just waiting on Sepiche now.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

First turn is out! I'll post some spoilered screen shots of my start when I have a chance - probably tomorrow morning.
Black Lives Matter.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I wish I knew what the hell (pun intended) is happening with the first pbem game.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This thread shall document the rise of Slutalia, Duchess of Sluts, to the rulership of Hell:
Spoiler:

Slutalia's thing, clearly, is sleeping her way to the top, and generally being a tremendous slut. The basic build is designed to get as much tribute as quickly as possible - tribute being the way you get the equivalent of money in the game. Charisma of 3 lets her start drawing four tribute cards and keeping three of them, whereas lower charisma only lets you keep one or two. She also has the "infernal cardinal" perk, which gives her a bonus to tribute cards (basically, the cards I will draw will probably be better.

Here's my starting location (as of the start of turn 2):

Not terrible, but not great either. The Iron Staircase is in easy reach to my northwest, so I am grabbing it. It's only +1 prestige/turn, but that'll do for now. I've marked Pandemonium, as well as the direction of the Temple of Lust, which I need for my Lust public objective. The good news is that there is only one other Fiend with the Lust objective - NickAragua - so less competition for the Temple. The bad news is that the Temple is within easy striking distance of NickAragua's territory. Nick seems to have a prime starting location - two +2 prestige PoPs within easy reach, and he's already taken one of them (the Temple of the Damned). Also, based on the public military scores I did not think that he would be able to take the Temple within one turn - he's probably got a good martial skill, and either made a combat card to take the Temple or has a perk that adds his martial score to his legion's combat abilities.

More problematic is that my starting legion is a tad disappointing - 3 ranged, 3 melee, 8 infernal. The infernal score is great, but unfortunately infernal is the last combat round, so any opponents can beat up on my low ranged and melee scores before I can get an infernal shot in. So that's something that will need to be addressed. The good news is that this Praetor is available on the bazaar:

Xaphan not only adds an additional +3 infernal, but also inverts the combat order so that infernal comes first, then ranged and melee. So that would both boost the infernal score more and solve my legion's main combat problem. What's more is that there is also an artifact available that gives +4 infernal and doubles any infernal damage caused. So if I can get both of those my legion will suddenly be very "boss" (as the kids like to say).

Of course, there's also this on the bazaar:

That gives the owner an additional order per turn, in addition to the two that everyone starts with. Naturally getting to do 50% more things than others is a big boost. So while the infernal upgrades would probably be more useful in the short term, I think I am going to fast track to see if I can get the book. Of course, following a couple tribute collections I am one freaking soul short :grund: . We'll see if anyone snatches it up after this turn. If not, I should be able to get at least one soul from my next tribute - fingers crossed.

Anyways, for now I'm taking the staircase, and then I'll see about possibly grabbing the Citadel of Wrath up north, and ideally the Temple of Lust if I can. I suspect that I'll be having at least a couple vendettas with NickAragua.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Reserved until I have time to edit and post the first turn images and my grand strategery.

Our Villian's Gallery:
Zarathud Objective: Gluttony (consume 30 souls)
Zord, Prince of Hell Objective: Gluttony (consume 30 souls)
Lord of Aragua, Lord of Hell Objective: Lust (own Temple)
Slutalia, Duke of Hell Objective: Lust (own Temple)
Paschetti, Prince of Hell Objective: Envy (successfully use deceipt to steal, bribe)
Sepiche, Prince of Hell Objective: Greed (hold 50 tribute cards)

Spoiler:
Space reserved for the weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Weeping - Aragua lucks out in having a public objective and the Temple of Lust nearby.

Gnashing of Teeth - Lots of excellent items at the Bazaar: the Infernal Engine (bonus v. PoPs), Walking Fortress (damage resistance), and the game-changing Book of Enoch (+1 order)

I start as Regent, as it should be. Lots of interesting PoPs around, but it's rather tight around this area. I pull an interesting event for later use and decide that step #1 to dominating Hell is piety -- namely, paying my respects to the nearby Black Altar of Despair.

I expect there to be a rush on the bazaar quickly this game. The rush will be for the Book of Enoch, which allows +1 order. Getting that relic so soon would be like winning the lottery -- it just takes 9 souls and 11 darkness.
Last edited by Zarathud on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just need Sepiche's turn 2 order to process.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Turn #3 is out!
Spoiler:
Nothing too dramatic from what I can tell. Someone bought the first Praetor of the game. A couple of my rivals seized +1 prestige PoPs, as did I. Turns out that the Infernal Engine, which was bought last turn and which gives a decent bonus to all combat ratings, was bought by Sepiche and attached to his legion. I am somewhat concerned that his uber legion could easily stomp all over my legion at this point if he so chose, so he might be thinking about sending some demands my way. I think I'd have to concede to his demands for the moment and try to use the interim to build up a better combat ability. But hopefully it won't come to that.

In other frustrating news, I have built up enough resources to buy the Book of Enoch (the +1 order relic mentioned in my last post), only to find that I can't yet bid for it since I can't fit all of my resources into the bid. :grund:

You can only use 8 tribute cards in any bid, and if you can't do that - i.e. the item requires 12 souls and you have 12 tribute cards with 1 soul each - then you have to spend a turn consolidating cards first. In other words, putting those cards together to form 1 card with 12 souls on it.

Anyways, so fingers crossed that no one plucks it this turn; if not I can put together a strong bid for it and I'll go first since I'll be the regent. And hopefully Sepiche leaves me alone long enough for me to pick it up and put together enough resources to buy the combat abilities that I need...
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Not a bad start, although I have a few concerns.
Spoiler:
My dude is a Wrath 3, Charisma 1, master archer / melee master with the 'lust' objective. So, he's basically built for battle, battle, battle. In addition to being natural badasses, I can make combat cards for my units, making them unpredictably awesome (for the opponents). In any case, I'll need vendettas and lots of them. My starting position was pretty good, within three turns, I'll have captured the Temple of Lust and Temple of the Damned.

So, my plan is simple: Capture my "Lust" objective (Temple of Lust). Then, I'm thinking of either trying for another landmark, or blazing a path so I have a hex or two next to the Infernal Conclave - in case things go bad for me prestige wise, I want to have the option of a military victory. After that, it's going to be all RARGH RARGH KILL KILL KILL BLARGH CHOKE COUGH SPIT.

My main concerns are my complete lack of resources, and the fact that everyone's buying up relics and artifacts (and some jerkface even bought a praetor!). Maybe I should have gone with Wrath 2 / Charisma 2 so I could actually have some decent tribute. My minions are useless, and I suspect the other players will not be providing me with very good loot either.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Updated above to provide information about the players.
Spoiler:
While I took the Black Altar, there's a buying spree going on. A Praetor was purchased on turn 1. The Infernal Engine (x2 vs. PoPs) and the Wheel of the Broken (+5 melee) were also purchased.

Faust's Contract (+1 diabolism, i.e., economy) just came up. The Book of Enoch is still available. I'm going to bid on a different item taking the long-term view and then look for an available Praetor if I still can't buy the Book or the Contract. If I lose, I can always boost Charisma instead. Still, my build of 3 Cha / 1 Int would have been better ready if those items turned up a few turns later.

The only other problem is how quickly the mid-range Places of Power (PoPs) may get taken over. There are a few +1s, then the rest are strong. I also have some territory to cover before I get to a third PoP, so I need to move it or lose it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Turn #4 is out.

Nick's building himself an early lead, as he seizes the Temple of Lust, bolstering his prestige and bringing himself up to a +3 prestige (I believe no one else is above +1 right now). But the game is young!

Meanwhile:
Spoiler:
I have finally put together a strong bid for the Book of Enoch (the +1 order relic), so I expect to have that next turn especially since I threw in some extra resources. So with those three orders I should be able to compile resources pretty quickly to buy my other needs - more combat abilities for my main legion. Otherwise nothing too dramatic - Nick has a lead, but that's probably convenient for now - focus people's attention on him. I'll turn to him once I can, you know, fight and stuff.

I realize that I have inadvertently boxed Zord in a bit, though fortunately his unit can mountainwalk so hopefully he won't come after me.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just waiting on Zod's turn
Black Lives Matter.
ZOD

Post by ZOD »

The last thing I got from you (turn 4) was Thursday 4:00 and I sent it back.

Do you need it again, or did I not get five?

*nevermind, I see I didn't send it back -- it's in the mail.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Latest turn is out.
Spoiler:
The first phase of my daemonic plan is complete!

I HAVE A BOOK!!! An, um, evil book. That I will NEVER RETURN TO THE LIBRARY!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Seriously though, I'm very happy about this, since I now have +1 orders per turn (once I assign it to a slot). That means I can do 50% more actions than anyone else right now (unless they have already increased a key attribute to 4, which is expensive so probably hasn't happened yet). More resource collection, more movement, etc.

Now I need to turn my attention to building up my combat abilities, so that I can start demanding stuff of people (since I don't think I can get to any more open PoPs right now, and I only own one weak one. That means getting the Praetor I mentioned above (+3 infernal, and infernal attacks first). That also means getting this nice artifact:

+4 infernal, and more importantly it doubles all infernal damage caused. So if I can combine this I can have a 15 infernal unit that deals double damage. So, if my legion faced another legion with a good but normal infernal score (say, 8), they would cause 15 - 8 = 7 x 2 = 14 damage. And first, thanks to the praetor.

So my plan right now is to save up and acquire that Praetor and artifact, attach them to my legion, and then start making some demands (and hopefully take away at least one PoP, ideally the Temple of Lust).

We'll see. I'll also keep my eyes open for things to demand in the interim - I wonder if I'll have the time to save up for both of these before stuff starts happening.

In the meantime no new action this turn.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Unfortunately, it looks like I can't upload screenshots here, and I'm too lazy to set up an image repository. However, here's a verbal summary.
Spoiler:
So, in two turns, I will be taking over another Place of Power, for a total prestige of something like +5. Paschetti really screwed himself by taking the "-1 movement to all units" perk (I can't think of any other reason his guys have a movement of one, since I don't think the wheel of pain does that), so by the time he gets to the PoP I'm about to take over, it'll be mine, and he'll have to spend turns trying to declare vendettas or whatever. With 3 PoPs, it'll be time to settle in and build up resources a little. Maybe I'll make some demands of the weaker demons for some extra resources.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

And then Satan created the hedgehog. Did you ever try to pick up one of them buggers? Owch!
Spoiler:
I think I find myself in an interesting position this turn. I have to decide whether to play for a quick risk or take the long view. Much depends on what people decide to do this turn and whether I can get just the right resources for one of two different plays afterwards. I'll fill in the 2 options later once I know the others have moved.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's out!
Spoiler:
Nothing dramatic to report this turn. Unfortunately the more time passes the more I slip behind, since I have the second lowest prestige gain (ahead only of Zord, I think). But there's quite the three way contest developing for the Temple of Wrath. NickAragua has knocked it down to 7/12 HP. Presumably he can knock it down to 2/12 next turn, at which point my dude will be next to the Temple. I don't think I can beat him to taking it, but I can start demanding and force him either into a vendetta (where I can take the Temple) or at least get some tribute/prestige.

Also, I now have enough resources to bid for my infernal-first praetor, so I expect to have him on board next turn. I already have enough hellfire for the infernal artifact that I'm planning on pairing with it, so it's just a matter of building my souls up again, so I should have both within a couple turns.

I've decided to demand NickA this turn rather than wait for next. If I have my timing right, if he rejects my demand then I'll be able to claim vendetta and carry it out when I move before him, which will allow me to capture the PoP and win my vendetta in a single turn (in theory, anyhow)
Last edited by El Guapo on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The gamble fails! My Slaves have been killed in combat with the City of Dis! I lost the "combat advantage" phase which led to a "non-zero" bonus to one of the City's combat stats: +2 to Infernal -- just enough to kill my Legion. If combat had cycled back to Ranged, I would have won:

Bring me another Slave, this one has been well-used. And clean up this bloody mess.