New SecuROM v7 CP - installs Windows Services.

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

FFG909

New SecuROM v7 CP - installs Windows Services.

Post by FFG909 »

I just installed Act of War, and noticed it uses SecuROM v7.0. Worse, it installs a permanent "Windows Service" that stays running on your computer.

It consumes a steady 2MB of Ram, and is required to be running to play the game, if you disable the service, it kills the ability to play the game.

Thoughts? I'd rather have Starforce than a constant process running, and consuming system resources and ram.
Goldchamp

Post by Goldchamp »

Glad i read this right after i cut the box open lol!.This beter be a damn good game
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

How is this any different than Starforce, EXCEPT THAT IT DOESN'T HIDE THAT IT'S ON YOUR SYSTEM AND IS ACTIVELY RUNNING? Why wouldn't a hidden sytem driver consume memory as opposed to a system service?

Aren't you the shill for StarForce? Why don't you explain to us exactly how much better it is than SecuRom?

Ooo, I'm so scared. FFG909 is going to sic the Russian mafia on me. ooo...
There is no hug button. Sad!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Okay.This is not good. Does this mean that Starforce is okay now? :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
FFG909

Post by FFG909 »

I'll let you figure that out Killbot, your a self professed computer exspurt, aren't you?

Sorry, I just don't buy into the anti-starforce bangwagoning that goes on around here, because I know the truth and don't buy the fabricated scaremongering. Personally, I think the anti-SF people just make themselves look like a bunch of laughable tools.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FFG909 wrote:I'll let you figure that out Killbot, your a self professed computer exspurt, aren't you?

Sorry, I just don't buy into the anti-starforce bangwagoning that goes on around here, because I know the truth and don't buy the fabricated scaremongering. Personally, I think the anti-SF people just make themselves look like a bunch of laughable tools.
Now that is irony!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
quantum

Post by quantum »

FFG909 wrote:Sorry, I just don't buy into the anti-starforce bangwagoning that goes on around here...
That's probably because you're losing money due to it.
FFG909 wrote:I'll let you figure that out Killbot, your a self professed computer exspurt, aren't you?
Christ almighty. We don't even have to *try* to make you look like an idiot.

Final note: Windows Services != device drivers. It's clear you're not anywhere near proficient enough in computing to understand the difference, and why one (HINT: the former) is significantly 'safer' than another (HINT: the latter).
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

He's just a Starforce fanboy because they game him some product to review and made him feel like a real player. I'm sure if whoever makes Securom threw him a bone, he'd be a fanboy of theirs as well.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I've always been interested, but is it worth getting a Tool album?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

quantum wrote:Final note: Windows Services != device drivers. It's clear you're not anywhere near proficient enough in computing to understand the difference, and why one (HINT: the former) is significantly 'safer' than another (HINT: the latter).
I beg to differ!! ;)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

You are more fun with each passing day.

suggested reading material for you

(btw, the title of your website explains a lot)
FFG909

Post by FFG909 »

LOL you guys are great. Feeding right into my machine.

PS: Incase you can't tell, I thrive on getting kiddies riled up. :lol:
RodeoRanch

Post by RodeoRanch »

FFG909 wrote:LOL you guys are great. Feeding right into my machine.

Oh, so you're an admitted troll. How very classy. :roll:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Yes, because we had no idea you were a troll until you pointed it out.
FFG909

Post by FFG909 »

Well, whos more the troll?

The couple of Starforce whiney babies on this forum, or the majority that have no trouble with it, that just ignore your trolling about it?

Think about that. <takes a gander over the thousands of threads hijacked by the Starforce Squad>
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

FFG909 wrote:Well, whos more the troll?
You?

What do I win?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

The couple of Starforce whiney babies on this forum, or the majority that have no trouble with it, that just ignore your trolling about it?

Think about that. <takes a gander over the thousands of threads hijacked by the Starforce Squad>
Dude, is this TSS? Seriously, I am asking, because this guy is a fucking tool in the exact vein of TSS. Ooh, Rincewind used bad words, make FFG8548438484884 cry...

Give us all a break man.
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

As mentioned in the other thread......if you don't see a single post with 3000 lines, it's not TSS.
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
gellar

Post by gellar »

RunningMn9 wrote:
You?

What do I win?
Winnar.

Though I have no prize to give... still, Winnar.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Eduardo X wrote:I've always been interested, but is it worth getting a Tool album?
I like Tool, at least their first two albums. That was way back when they were on MTV with the twitchy puppet videos. Those were freaky as hell. I liked the fact that the songs weren't all screaming through guitar thrash sessions but still had a weird edge to them..
There is no hug button. Sad!
quantum

Post by quantum »

So now that the FFG1804234547 fellow has come out and said he's here to troll, can the mods do something about him? Like, ban?

I hate to ask for it, but this forum doesn't have killfiles.
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

Xbox Live: JTJ66
CSL

Post by CSL »

/edited to remove attack
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

What I see is people I've known for years here having trouble all because of an overreaching copy protection scheme. Then there's you and your tag-team buddy tals, here less than two weeks, trying to tell us its no problem at all.

I think I'll trust the people I know, thank you.
(HBZ)
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

If anyone would like to discuss the merits of starforce, securom, or other copy protection schemes, feel free. But lets try to do it in an adult manner. There's no need for namecalling, baiting, or other juvenile behavior. If you think someone is trolling, the best course of action is to ignore them and/or contact a mod.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I think this is much better than starforce.

A windows service protection scheme isn't hidden and can be turned off or removed when that user wants to. It also doesn't interfere with any other computer functions, if it did, you could simply shut it off as above.

However, unless I'm mistaken, they both don't clue the user in to the fact that this software was installed on their system right?

Informing the user is a start to making these sort of protection schemes more acceptable. I would actually be a lot more accepting of starforce if it clearly stated it was installing itself, gave you the option to not install it, and could be removed from the windows uninstall menu.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

EvilHomer3k wrote:If anyone would like to discuss the merits of starforce, securom, or other copy protection schemes, feel free. But lets try to do it in an adult manner. There's no need for namecalling, baiting, or other juvenile behavior. If you think someone is trolling, the best course of action is to ignore them and/or contact a mod.
What he said. As a reminder, we do not allow personal attacks, even in response to someone else's attack. For everybody - please re-read the section of the CoC headed "Self-Moderation." A reminder:
While we try to maintain a friendly and open atmosphere, please remember that you may encounter ideas or statements with which you disagree - perhaps even violently. Feel free to discuss this with your fellow posters, but please respect their right to hold and state differing opinions.
If someone posts something you disagree with, feel free to respond intelligently. If you cannot do so, quietly ignore them. You are not justified in turning a discussion into an adolescent name-calling contest. That includes all of the petty insults, digs, name-calling, and picture-posting intended only to aggravate and intensify this disagreement, as has been put forward by both sides.

As to trolling - making posts with the sole intention of stirring up angst and discord amongst the community is not welcome, either by new posters, or by established posters in response to them.

As of right now, these threads are on short leashes - any further insults or similar in any of them will result in editing or locking.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

My comment is the usual one; this protection is as useless as the former ones. The CASUAL pirate can easily copy this one while the legitimate user has to install the protection software. I see them as less disturbing compared to Steam, but as useless for a protection. Well, at least, the protection on Half Life 2 is not really crackable by the casual gamer. The one on Act of War is.
FFG909

Post by FFG909 »

Also I just noticed the latest SafeDisc protection installs a hidden device now too. Its called "Secdrv" and is under hidden devices, right next to Starforce hidden devices.

Also, the biggest thing keeping everyone and their brother burning Act of War is it ships on Dual Layer DVD9 format. As far as i've read, dual layer burners are far from mainstream. Pretty smart move on their part, I believe the majority of people that downloaded Act of War, simply won't be able to burn it (but i'm sure virtual drive would work). For the $30-39 price tag for the game, and the 100+page manual and tech tree foldouts, might as well buy it.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

FFG909 wrote:Also I just noticed the latest SafeDisc protection installs a hidden device now too. Its called "Secdrv" and is under hidden devices, right next to Starforce hidden devices.
Nope, secdrv is nothing new. Secdrv has been around forever and is even installed as part of Windows XP. There has even been a windows update to upgrade it.
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

Dual layer won't be a restriction for long. I just had to buy a new CD drive so I bought one that burns DVDs as well. My short list was all 16x dual layer burners. Not much point in getting anything less since they were in the $50-$75 range. As people upgrade that's what they're going to get, particularly if their GAMES are going to render their existing drives obsolete. And at that price every Dell, Compaq, E-Machines, etc. will have them as standard equipment shortly.
(HBZ)
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

Blackhawk wrote:

Now that is irony!
Damn man u know your not a popular person when even blackhawk (who is a nice guy all around) )scores on ya.

Killbot:

I dont really see a difference im sure SF takes up some resources as well. It is worth noting that a service has significantly less control over your PC than a driver however. as far as i know SD does not mess with any other programs or attempt to tell you what you can and cant install on your own PC. Thats the part of SF that messes with my head.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.