HELP!

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JSHAW

HELP!

Post by JSHAW »

I'm currently as I type this tonight trying to upgrade a processor.
I'm using my wife's pc to send this, mine being the one undergoing the upgrade.

The motherboard is an ASUS A7V133.

The previous processor is a AMD Athlon 1ghz processor.

The processor I'm upgrading to is the same make, only it's a 1.3ghz.

I need help with the CPU core frequency, bus frequency multiplier and the voltage regulator output settings.

By just dropping in the CPU and booting I'm getting a single beep that repeats itself every second. I know I need to change the settings on the motherboard, I just can't figure out what I need to change them to.

If someone can go to the ASUS website, download the PDF manual for this board and help me I'd be willing to send you some pc games that I have available.

THANKS!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm on it; shouldn't the board auto-detect the frequency/multiplier though? Is this a new processor?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Actually, upon looking up the POST codes for that BIOS, 'long beeps in an endless loop' indicates no RAM detected. The other beep codes are one long followed by 3 short (no video), one short beep (no error), and high-frequency beeps during normal operation (CPU overheat).
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

By going into the jumpers that set the CPU core voltage I was able to set them to different setttings, thus NOT getting any beeps when attempting to boot, but can't get into the BIOS to check settings.

The processor is new to this system. I bought it from Newegg.com a few months ago, but haven't got around to installing it until tonight.

I know if I can get the settings right on the motherboard I should be able to get this to boot normally, just haven't been able to get the correct settings straight on the motherboard.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

OK; it looks like you'll have to go off of JumperFree Mode first (JEN switches, toward bottom-right of motherboard if you reference the back-panel connectors as the top-left). Set JEN to cover pins 1 and 2 (it should be over 2 and 3 now for JumperFree mode, the default).

That processor uses a 133 MHz external frequency and a 10.0 multiplier; that would require setting the DSW switches (near top-right of motherboard, should be 5 switches) to 133 MHz, which is switch 3 ON and 1,2,4,5 OFF. Default should be all 5 switches OFF.

Then you'll want to set the core multiplier (DSFID, 6 switches) to 10.0, which corresponds to switches 2,3,4 OFF, 1,5,6 ON.

Finally, voltage should be 1.75V, which requires setting the voltage regulator (VID1, VID2, VID3, VID4, near top-left of motherboard) to VID1 covering 1,2, VID2 covering 2,3, VID3 and VID4 covering 1,2.

Good luck!
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Thanks for your help Zaxxon. I'm trying those settings, but can't get the board to post. Oh well, if I can't get it to work I'll probably have to drop the 1ghz back in. :cry: :lol:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

JSHAW wrote:Thanks for your help Zaxxon. I'm trying those settings, but can't get the board to post. Oh well, if I can't get it to work I'll probably have to drop the 1ghz back in. :cry: :lol:
That stinks. :( Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

My next question would be this; IF the ram was using a lower speed for the 1ghz could going up to the 1.3ghz cause the ram to not function
properly?

The beep I'm getting is a 1 second beep that sounds continuously. All the switches and jumpers are set propertly but I get nada.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

JSHAW wrote:My next question would be this; IF the ram was using a lower speed for the 1ghz could going up to the 1.3ghz cause the ram to not function
properly?

The beep I'm getting is a 1 second beep that sounds continuously. All the switches and jumpers are set propertly but I get nada.
The processor rising to 1.3GHz wouldn't affect the RAM; that'd be the bus speed, and it's possible. The new processor uses a 133MHz bus and 10.0 multiplier; I don't know my AMD specs well enough to recall what the 1.0 GHz processor uses, but I'd try setting the FSB speed down from 133 MHz to 100 MHz, and see if it boots.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Sunday night I stayed up until 330am messing with it so I was pretty tired monday night after work. After falling asleep during 24 last night I knew I wasn't in any shape to look at it any so tonight I'm going to give it another shot.

I'll try lowering the FSB to 100mhz and see what it does.

If I can't get it to boot it looks like I might be upgrading and buying a new INTEL based motherboard, P4 3ghz processor and DDR ram.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm still amazed you have an archaic mobo with jumpers on it. :shock: I think my last 4 or 5 have been jumperless - I've never had a problem putting compatible hardware into them. All have been AMD - there is nothing inherently easier or better with Intel in this regard.

When I used to have to futz with such things, I'd usually check the docs and see what it says about the settings for the CPU I'm trying to use. Also, have you reset your CMOS? IIRC, some motherboards are both jumpered and jumperless - it is possible the jumpers are being overridden by the CMOS setting. Follow the instructions in your manual for clearing the CMOS (usually, taking out the battery and/or temporarily moving a jumper will do the trick).
Black Lives Matter
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

jeff v - I don't really want to get into a INTEL vs. AMD debate.

With my past history of games I play I've never required a system that was "cutting edge".

With the AMD 1ghz processor, 1 gig of ram, ATI 9700 Pro I've been able to get good results with both Doom3 and HL2. Sure it's not going to be as great as someone who might have a high spec'd Alienware or FalconNW, but I've been able to make do with what I've got.

I've been very aware that I need to upgrade to much higher system specs in order to progress to play games without having to worry about tuning down to get the games to play smoothly.

The CMOS suggestion is something I haven't done, it crossed my mind after I was too tired to do it, but I'm glad you mentioned it to remind me to try that. Thanks!