Save the Games!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Will you join the Gamers Union Against Rehashed Drivel (G.U.A.R.D.)?

Movin' out! (yes)
14%
I'd rather go sailing (no)
82%
Awaiting orders (undecided)
5%

Total votes: 22

lorax

Save the Games!

Post by lorax »

From the words of the Lorax: “Grow a forest. Protect it from axes that hack.”

It’s now time for the Lorax to save yet another forest – the harvest of new PC games. It’s time to join G.U.A.R.D., the Gamers Union Against Rehashed Drivel. It’s time to take back our hobby from the corporate suits and reinvigorate innovation. How is this so, you may ask?
1. Say no to full price.
2. And no to rehashed sequels.
3. No to intrusive copy protection.
4. Say no to “phone home” software.
5. Just say no to half-done games.

We should make a stand against passing off fantasy-based games as sci-fi. Science has shown no evidence for extraterrestrial beings. Can’t go faster than the speed of light. Therefore, any space-based adventures are now defunct.

Vote with your wallets, and if necessary, follow the trail into the bargain bin for rock-bottom specials. In the words of the Lorax: “Develop a forest of new games. Protect it from corporate suits with no knack.”
Tareeq

Re: Save the Games!

Post by Tareeq »

lorax wrote:We should make a stand against passing off fantasy-based games as sci-fi. Science has shown no evidence for extraterrestrial beings. Can’t go faster than the speed of light. Therefore, any space-based adventures are now defunct.
Oh no, not again.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I'm special!
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

I am getting disappointed with the lack of pickles in Lorax's most recent posts. Anyone else?
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

We should make a stand against passing off fantasy-based games as sci-fi. Science has shown no evidence for extraterrestrial beings. Can’t go faster than the speed of light. Therefore, any space-based adventures are now defunct.
It's called science-FICTION for a reason.

must remember CoC...must remember CoC...
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
It's called science-FICTION for a reason.

must remember CoC...must remember CoC...
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear... And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear is gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
I'm special!
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Just because science hasn't shown evidence of aliens doesn't mean one can't speculate. Ya know, the other term for the literature -- "speculative fiction."

Oh yeah, we already had this conversation a year ago...

As for FTL travel? Sure it's bogus based on what we know. That's why there is the term "hard sci fi" to distinguish it from the less realistic stuff. The "less realistic stuff" including, by the way, masterpieces of the genre such as HG Wells's "The Time Machine" (in which the bogus device of time travel is used to brilliantly explore the future social evolution of mankind) and "The First Men in the Moon" (in which the bogus device of the antigravity material "cavorite" is used to brilliantly depict an insect-like alien society).

Amazingly, people in the past already thought about these things and adjusted labels accordingly.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I'm calling bullshit.

From this thread:
lorax wrote:We should make a stand against passing off fantasy-based games as sci-fi. Science has shown no evidence for extraterrestrial beings. Can’t go faster than the speed of light. Therefore, any space-based adventures are now defunct.
From This Thread
lorax wrote:KotOR2 certainly was not endowed with marvelous graphics nor superb audio, but the storyline is as good as any decent work of Science-Fiction. Ok maybe that’s not saying much, but it is light-years ahead of the competition. Is this a lesson for developers? Should the cRPG focus first on eye-candy and second on story?
I put his anti-bullshit-calling statement in bold... but still. Star Wars is considered Sci-fi? It has Aliens AND lightspeed travel.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Wow, good application of the different size fonts Hiro. Well done.
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
quantum

Post by quantum »

Where's the option for "lynch lorax so the crappy posts end?"
CSL

Post by CSL »

quantum wrote:Where's the option for "lynch lorax so the crappy posts end?"
I'm holding out for a personal attack deleted option.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

CSL, you're getting very, very close to the line again.

I'd also like to see calls for lynching come to an end.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

lynch the frogs! The frogs are taking over Austrailia! They must be stopped! LYNCH THEM ALL!
I'm special!
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

This thread needs a "lorax-reference" warning!
Seriously, my poor old brain got really worn out from running in 'circular-logic' loops way back when. I very nearly commited hari-kirschner or somesuch.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
lorax

Post by lorax »

bluefugue wrote:As for FTL travel? Sure it's bogus based on what we know. That's why there is the term "hard sci fi" to distinguish it from the less realistic stuff.
Sci-fi is only demoted to fantasy once the science shows it defunct. Past works are grandfathered in. Any other interpretation is an apology for disregarding modern physics.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Yawn
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Can you start putting a "personal attack deleted" option in your polls? It seems like it would save people some trouble.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

lightspeed travel
FTL, to be exact. Hyperspace and all that.

Also, all of you think self, and thus are evil.

I think cubic, and I am wisest.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Peacedog wrote:
lightspeed travel
FTL, to be exact. Hyperspace and all that.

Also, all of you think self, and thus are evil.

I think cubic, and I am wisest.
Plus you're totally stealthy, like a gherkin!
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!