Demon's Souls

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

DArtagnan

Demon's Souls

Post by DArtagnan »

I have to acknowledge, it's pretty damn fantastic :mrgreen:

It took me the longest time "getting it" - but I think what I like most about it, is that every single thing in the game has been given thought. There's nothing - and I mean NOTHING - superfluous in there.

The more you play, the more it all makes sense.

In the old days, this might not have been such an achievement - because back then we were expecting developers to care about the, pun intended, SOUL of the game.

These days developers are wrapped up in insane budgets and responsibilities - they've more or less completely forgotten what made games truly special, and not just a well produced checklist of popular features.

These developers DIDN'T forget.

Go get a PS3, and then go get this game. Prepare to have the game humiliate you over and over, because you'll be coming back for more until you wear out and need to rest - only to have the cycle start anew.

You have been warned.
Octavious

Re: Demon's Souls

Post by Octavious »

Yes this is one of the best games I've played in years. I'm only a quarter of the way through it and need to get back but haven't had time. I just wish I had bought the version with the strat guide since you can't get it by itself. :grund:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
DArtagnan

Post by DArtagnan »

I got an import version (Korean) - and the manual doesn't exactly make sense to me :)

I've already spoiled it a bit by reading some of the wiki - but I've discovered that you can actually get through much of it by paying careful attention to your environment and the vital messages left behind by other players. A game with this much care put into making the game fair - even if it's extremely unforgiving - deserves to be played without too much outside help. At least, that's what I've decided. I really want to discover this word and see if I can't figure out how to handle certain challenges by myself.

I really think everyone should try this out, as it might just be the best game in years and years.

Of course, that's if you're into this sort of old-school experience - and I imagine some people will be put off by the harsh conditions. I know I nearly gave up several times myself :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For once I agree with you. Demon's Souls is a great game. The difficulty level is harsh at times, but i'm amazed at the overall balance. I played it a lot when it first came out and had to take a break before I burned out on it, but I fully plan on going back to it after the holiday rush of games. I doubt I'll ever really trade it in, it's that good.
He won. Period.
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

DS was pretty much the reason I bought a PS3, and was well worth the purchase. Just an amazing game. Very punishing at first, until you realize that you're meant to die, over and over again, and souls are relatively easy to regain. Makes the game that much more playable.
Stupid & lazy
apezilla

Post by apezilla »

Like Eightball i bought an PS3 for DS only (well throw in a bit valkyria Chronicles). My first console since SNES.

Hated it at first while playing an royal and wrestling with the pad.
But as soon i restarted with an well armored meele class it suddenly became much more fun.
Levels and enemies are well crafted, wish upgrading weapons would be a bit less obscure.

I always thought i gonna regret buying an PS3 for it, but now i hoping for an DS2.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I just bought a PS3 and really want DS. However it's import only atm for me so am hanging on.

managed to pick up Valkyria Chronicles today on sale for £15 which is a real bargain.
apezilla

Post by apezilla »

Reemul wrote:I just bought a PS3 and really want DS. However it's import only atm for me so am hanging on.

managed to pick up Valkyria Chronicles today on sale for £15 which is a real bargain.

I imported the US version for around 45€ from axelmusic.com. It took 9 days to arrive in Germany but the price was OK.

May be an option for you too !.
Koz

Post by Koz »

DArtagnan wrote:Go get a PS3, and then go get this game. Prepare to have the game humiliate you over and over, because you'll be coming back for more until you wear out and need to rest - only to have the cycle start anew.
I was humiliated over and over, but I never came back for more. Honestly I was pretty disappointed with DS. It's more my fault than the game's though, it does what it is designed for very well and it's not the type of game I enjoy.
PRBoricua

Post by PRBoricua »

Having a rough go with this one, picked it up last weekend on the strength of the reviews + word of mouth alone and I guess I "don't get it", so I'm looking for a little help. I created a Thief first, and that went really, really bad as I got my ass handed to me over and over again in the first area before finally quitting and going with a more conventional starting class, which was the Knight. Doing much better now, just defeated Phalanx in B.P, which was cool, but I have to admit I still don't get it.

Kinda confused on what exactly I'm supposed to be doing, I'm kicking ass and chewing gum occasionally but after I defeated the first boss and leveled up, is there somewhere I'm supposed to go next? Back to the Palace? To the next stone, and start in there ... I really want to like this game, but the lack of knowing what I'm doing is really screwin' me up. Maybe I just don't know "how" to play this game, and that's what I need help with?
If you find this post stupid, or unintelligent then I probably agree with you.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

PRBoricua wrote:Having a rough go with this one, picked it up last weekend on the strength of the reviews + word of mouth alone and I guess I "don't get it", so I'm looking for a little help. I created a Thief first, and that went really, really bad as I got my ass handed to me over and over again in the first area before finally quitting and going with a more conventional starting class, which was the Knight. Doing much better now, just defeated Phalanx in B.P, which was cool, but I have to admit I still don't get it.

Kinda confused on what exactly I'm supposed to be doing, I'm kicking ass and chewing gum occasionally but after I defeated the first boss and leveled up, is there somewhere I'm supposed to go next? Back to the Palace? To the next stone, and start in there ... I really want to like this game, but the lack of knowing what I'm doing is really screwin' me up. Maybe I just don't know "how" to play this game, and that's what I need help with?
There's a pretty extensive thread over at gamingtrend that should help.
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index ... ic=36346.0" target="_blank
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

jwalter

Post by jwalter »

Eightball wrote:DS was pretty much the reason I bought a PS3, and was well worth the purchase. Just an amazing game. Very punishing at first, until you realize that you're meant to die, over and over again, and souls are relatively easy to regain. Makes the game that much more playable.
I would agree to o this. The game does come really hard on you, but if you need to stick in there and have some good time out there checking out different things. This would help you as you progress with the game. This was a game that took a long time to get over it, but I do not regret that as I enjoyed every moment of my gaming. I would say that the game was worth the time spent playing it.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

I really want this game....but I have difficulty getting my PS3 online (for some reason, I cannot get a wireless router set up on my pc, no matter what I try). Is the internet a "must-have" for this game?

Chris
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't think it's must have but it certainly adds a lot of flavor to the game. Seeing ghosts of other people running around is really neat but doesn't change the game.

Jag

Post by Jag »

Just picked this up again after a short attempt a few months ago. Got my ass handed to me as a Royal but tried a Knight and was able to power my way through the place (although got roasted trying to sneak into the dragon nest).

I may try another class, but need recommendations. I need to be able to block and take a bit of a beating. How is a priest compared to a Knight?
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I made it up the first stairs back when this first came out. I should probably get back to it someday. Sad. I think I've got around a half-hour into the game. I'd ordered the Deluxe Edition from Amazon back when they were normal-priced. Couldn't wait for it to arrive, so went downtown and picked up a regular edition, which is the one I "played". The DE sits there on my shelf, still unopened. What a waste of money. I do this a lot though.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm convinced this game is psychotic....or it's making me psychotic...

I also hate the fact that I love this game.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Giles Habibula wrote:I made it up the first stairs back when this first came out. I should probably get back to it someday. Sad. I think I've got around a half-hour into the game. I'd ordered the Deluxe Edition from Amazon back when they were normal-priced. Couldn't wait for it to arrive, so went downtown and picked up a regular edition, which is the one I "played". The DE sits there on my shelf, still unopened. What a waste of money. I do this a lot though.
Umm when you go and buy a game for normal price and then it shoots up in value you call that "a waste of money"? That's what I call an investment!
Jag

Post by Jag »

The Tower Knight can go to hell.

Yes, i'm talking about you :evil:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The tower knight isn't that hard once you figure out what you need to do. If he's giving you a ton of trouble there are videos on youtube of people fighting him.

How I beat him
Spoiler:
First make sure you are in human form as you will get hit a few times so being a spirit is going to be rough. When I first enter the area I ran straight ahead and up the stairs and went right clearing out all the soliders. Make a loop around the whole top area clearing everyone out. Then it's time to square off with the big guy. I just ran right at him and locked onto his legs. You need to get behind him and hit his feet until he falls over. When he starts to fall clear out of the way as it will hurt you if he falls on you. Once he falls smash him in the head until he gets up. Rinse and repeat.

Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Canuck wrote:
Giles Habibula wrote:I made it up the first stairs back when this first came out. I should probably get back to it someday. Sad. I think I've got around a half-hour into the game. I'd ordered the Deluxe Edition from Amazon back when they were normal-priced. Couldn't wait for it to arrive, so went downtown and picked up a regular edition, which is the one I "played". The DE sits there on my shelf, still unopened. What a waste of money. I do this a lot though.
Umm when you go and buy a game for normal price and then it shoots up in value you call that "a waste of money"? That's what I call an investment!
It's a waste of money when I can't bring myself to sell it now while it's still worth something. Theoretically, I could have made enough to have got my regular edition basically for free. But see, then I wouldn't have my DE anymore, and I'd miss it. Being a collector has cost me a ton of money over the years, and hasn't made me a dime. But so far, having a huge collection has been worth it....Damned if I know why though. Admittedly, it makes no sense. :?
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Jag

Post by Jag »

Octavious230 wrote:The tower knight isn't that hard once you figure out what you need to do. If he's giving you a ton of trouble there are videos on youtube of people fighting him.

How I beat him
Spoiler:
First make sure you are in human form as you will get hit a few times so being a spirit is going to be rough. When I first enter the area I ran straight ahead and up the stairs and went right clearing out all the soliders. Make a loop around the whole top area clearing everyone out. Then it's time to square off with the big guy. I just ran right at him and locked onto his legs. You need to get behind him and hit his feet until he falls over. When he starts to fall clear out of the way as it will hurt you if he falls on you. Once he falls smash him in the head until he gets up. Rinse and repeat.
I know what do to, I just can't seem to do it. Maybe twitchy controller type games aren't for me. It doesn't seem like i have the split second reaction time it takes to do it.
Koz

Post by Koz »

You can also shoot him with (a lot of) arrows from up on the battlements. Just duck behind the wall when he shoots his spear thing and then pop back up and shoot him in the head. Takes a while but it's real easy and you won't get hurt once you get the rhythm down. Just make sure you bring a lot of arrows.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Koz wrote:You can also shoot him with (a lot of) arrows from up on the battlements. Just duck behind the wall when he shoots his spear thing and then pop back up and shoot him in the head. Takes a while but it's real easy and you won't get hurt once you get the rhythm down. Just make sure you bring a lot of arrows.
What's alot. 100? What about enchanting my bow? Would that help?
apezilla

Post by apezilla »

Jag wrote:
Koz wrote:You can also shoot him with (a lot of) arrows from up on the battlements. Just duck behind the wall when he shoots his spear thing and then pop back up and shoot him in the head. Takes a while but it's real easy and you won't get hurt once you get the rhythm down. Just make sure you bring a lot of arrows.
You should have found an component bow by now, upgrading it makes a big difference. I think i had an +3 or more when dealing with the tower knight.
Jag

Post by Jag »

This game just keeps getting better and better. I had to stop in 3-1 last night because my nerves were so frazzled. While going melee is fun, I needed to incorporate ranged into my strategy as well. So with the short bow, soul arrow and armored to the teeth, I've been able to clear an entire level (sans boss) without a single death.

So far my biggest challenge is how to spend souls. I think I'm just going to burn most of my soldiers souls at once and just uber level my stats, saving some for weapon upgrades when I have the stones.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Jag wrote:
I think it's like 30 or 40, but I went through about 70 with missing and getting the rhythm down.

I don't remember what bow I used but I didn't go to any other levels first.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I now hate Flamelurker more than Tower Knight. Notwithstanding the fact that I wanted to go for the compound longbow and spent no less than 3 full nights dying to the rolling silver skeletons. I swear I'm shaking when I turn this game of (or when it locks up, which it does alot).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Soul arrow makes the flamelurker a breeze. Otherwise he's a major pain in the ass. I really need to get back to that damn game..

Jag

Post by Jag »

Flamelurker dead. I love cheesing the landscape. :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

In a game that hard you take what you can get. Started playing again today after a long break and didn't get much of anywhere. :tjg:

Jag

Post by Jag »

Dragon God dead. I love this game!

I realized why I don't care about dying in DS. When you are in a new area, basically you are learning the landscape, the enemies, the tricks,etc. You try to go as far as you can until you die. If you make it to the boss, great, it will take substantially less time the next time you have to go back. Everytime you go back, it goes faster and faster until you are flying through places you used to crawl behind your big shield. That's an accomplishment.

The other reason I don't care about dying is the souls you get from most of the enemies are are a pittance compared to the big boss souls. So I lost 5k souls running to the boss, I'll get 30k when I kill him. I just wouldn't run around with the souls earned from a boss kill. Which leads to the next clever mechanic. Forcing you to spend the souls, is like getting XP, you have to spend them on some form of advancement (spells, stats, gear, etc) otherwise the risk of losing it is too much.

The uniqueness of DS is another place it wins. Compare DS to a traditional RPG like Dragon Age and then against an MMO like WoW. In DA you go through an area, kill the bosses and almost never return, that area is done. In WoW, you farm the same crap over and over and over hoping for a drop or farming for badges, rep, etc. DS forces you to run the area enough times until you learn and master it. Too little and you probably won't make it. But by the time you master it, it is time to move onto the next level.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I HATED the dragon god. I'm amazed that I didn't give up after getting killed a billion times by that guy. :grund:

Jag

Post by Jag »

Octavious230 wrote:I HATED the dragon god. I'm amazed that I didn't give up after getting killed a billion times by that guy. :grund:
I admit I read the walkthrough first, which makes the fight laughable....
Spoiler:
Run right, fire harpoon and pin one wing, repeat on left side. Run down near his head and shoot a few arrows into his horn...fight over.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My problem was I kept on getting burned to a crisp when trying to run to the second gun. It took me like 20-30 tries... Killing him after shooting the second gun was easy as I just used the bow.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I'm TRYING to get back into this one. Let me explain:

I sold my 60GB noisy PS3 for $300 and bought a slim PS3 to replace it. Apparently you can't transfer Demon Souls save games over like most other games, so I'm totally starting over.

You can imagine having to start from scratch. The first run through I played a knight because I love the look of the full plate armor. Instinctively I started over with a knight as well... but I wonder.... should I try a different class or something this time?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Interesting question. What I learned is there ultimately is no class, just what you start with. Class is just a different selection of attributes and gear. The attributes can be adjusted as you go up and you can easily get the starting gear for most classes pretty early on. Another clever thing about DS.

For example, I initially started with a Royal except I kept getting killed in melee (mostly b/c i didn't know how to play). I then restarted as a Knight and plowed my way through a good part of the early game with no problem. I was a tanking terror!

Then I starting getting creamed again because I used no magic or ranged and I could barely dodge. So I put away the heavy armor, put more pts into magic and now I have a good hyrbid of magic and melee.

I don't currently use a single item from the starting Knight. At Soul Level 32, I'm wearing Rogue armor, using a spear and shield and bows/magic for ranged. In other words, I don't really think it matters what you start with since you can easily design yourself to mimic any other class in the game.

The best hint I can give is if you go melee is to buy a spear from the merchant in 1-1. You thrust with your shield raised and hit from further away. Makes a huge difference. Just a bit slower than a sword.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

On my original playthrough -- I got through several bosses with just the long sword. I got really good at timing and dodging. So I guess I need to see how it goes. I'm certainly zipping through the levels faster this time through.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Royal is generally the easiest class to start with because they get Soul Arrow right off the bat.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Jag wrote:Interesting question. What I learned is there ultimately is no class, just what you start with. Class is just a different selection of attributes and gear. The attributes can be adjusted as you go up and you can easily get the starting gear for most classes pretty early on. Another clever thing about DS.

For example, I initially started with a Royal except I kept getting killed in melee (mostly b/c i didn't know how to play). I then restarted as a Knight and plowed my way through a good part of the early game with no problem. I was a tanking terror!

Then I starting getting creamed again because I used no magic or ranged and I could barely dodge. So I put away the heavy armor, put more pts into magic and now I have a good hyrbid of magic and melee.

I don't currently use a single item from the starting Knight. At Soul Level 32, I'm wearing Rogue armor, using a spear and shield and bows/magic for ranged. In other words, I don't really think it matters what you start with since you can easily design yourself to mimic any other class in the game.

The best hint I can give is if you go melee is to buy a spear from the merchant in 1-1. You thrust with your shield raised and hit from further away. Makes a huge difference. Just a bit slower than a sword.
IMO, the game is easier if you ditch armor earlier on. Granted, I got to the huge tower boss dude without much in the way of ranged ability (I didn't have that many arrows and shit for a bow I couldn't upgrade). I found plinking him unpossible. People at Qt3 urged me to remove my armor (uhhh. . . I can't remember the class I started as. But it had heavy armor), and I Found then I was able to dodge his attacks and circle around in melee to hit his heels or whatever it was you did. Before that I was finding the game increasingly frustrating. I haven't picked it up in awhile, but iirc I was still going sans heavy armor. The plan was to get enough endurance (I think?) to eventually put it back on but I was leveling more important combat stats.