Demon's Souls

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Re: Demon's Souls

Post by Jag »

I did ditch armor. I'm wearing leather which barely has any endurance penalty.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I've read reviews that say you can lose hours of progress if you die (well, if you die twice). How long does a typical gaming session take in this game? Can you play for 45 minutes and quit without having to do those 45 minutes over again the next time you play? I keep wanting to check this out, but my time on the PS3 is usually limited to late nights after everyone else is off the TV, and thus don't usually do marathon long gaming sessions.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Tscott wrote:I've read reviews that say you can lose hours of progress if you die (well, if you die twice). How long does a typical gaming session take in this game? Can you play for 45 minutes and quit without having to do those 45 minutes over again the next time you play? I keep wanting to check this out, but my time on the PS3 is usually limited to late nights after everyone else is off the TV, and thus don't usually do marathon long gaming sessions.
I have yet to encounter anything that requires more than maybe 30 minutes straight time.
I'm special!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Each section is like 30-40 minutes long. While your in the section you can't pause and if you turn the game off it will start you back at the beginning of the section. I haven't had a single problem with the system.

Played a ton the last couple of days and today I totally kicked butt. Took out 4 demons and I think I'm getting towards the end. Cleared 2 and 3 and have one section left in the other areas. Level 51 so far. I had a hell of a time finishing 3 as I kept on getting invaded with people taking over the boss. It happened like 4-5 times in a row with me getting my butt kicked before I finally got the real boss who is a cakewalk. Actually I've found almost all the bosses now pretty reasonable. The old hero was a total joke beat him on my first try with no problems.

God I love this game. :mrgreen:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Koz

Post by Koz »

I think 30-40 minutes per section is a bit of an underestimate. I've spent far longer on certain levels, though the game is pretty good at opening shortcuts as you progress. Also if you die I believe your corpse will stay where it is forever (or at least a very long time) so you don't need to go retrieve it immediately.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Octavious230 wrote:Each section is like 30-40 minutes long. While your in the section you can't pause and if you turn the game off it will start you back at the beginning of the section. I haven't had a single problem with the system.
I don't think this is true. I'm pretty sure I quit the game in the middle of a section and loaded back at the same point.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jag wrote:
Octavious230 wrote:Each section is like 30-40 minutes long. While your in the section you can't pause and if you turn the game off it will start you back at the beginning of the section. I haven't had a single problem with the system.
I don't think this is true. I'm pretty sure I quit the game in the middle of a section and loaded back at the same point.
Really? Oh damn I just figured that's what would happen so I never tried it lol.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Jag

Post by Jag »

Octavious230 wrote:
Jag wrote:
Really? Oh damn I just figured that's what would happen so I never tried it lol.
Yeah, for the most part monsters don't move around, so if you have cleared an area you can go away or quit safely. The game isn't unfair, just brutal, especially if you are stupid.

Like the time I read the note that said "Ambush ahead!" and walked straight into an ambush.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I was reading up on 3-3 and apparently if anybody tries to invade a game anywhere in 3 they have a chance of being the final boss. So it wasn't just bad luck that I kept on hitting people at the end it was design of the game.

One dumb thing I did today was kill the NPC on 4-2 because he pissed me off. So now I have no vendor in the main area. :doh: :mrgreen: Oh well live and learn heh.

ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Octavious230 wrote:I was reading up on 3-3 and apparently if anybody tries to invade a game anywhere in 3 they have a chance of being the final boss. So it wasn't just bad luck that I kept on hitting people at the end it was design of the game.

One dumb thing I did today was kill the NPC on 4-2 because he pissed me off. So now I have no vendor in the main area. :doh: :mrgreen: Oh well live and learn heh.
You didn't happen to have a friendly Phantom with you at the time, did you? Because I was with a guy who clearly got pissed at that guy in exactly the same spot and commenced to get into a fight with him. Since I was unable to help, I just sorta hung around and watched the fight.

It made me laugh though, cuz I know exactly why you were pissed at him. That's why I had left a note on the ground, "Beware the trap ahead!"
I'm special!
Jag

Post by Jag »

I did 3-3, Old Monk two nights ago. I was actually offline because I'm having horrible lockups in DS that freeze my PS3 and they seem to be less when I'm offline.

The reason people invade the Old Monk fight and take control of the boss is because they get a chance to get his Monk's Head Collar. BTW, Old Monk is probably the easiest boss fight in the game if you have a knockdown weapon like the Meat Cleaver (which is very very easy to get).
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

So far my favorite 2 classes in the game are Temple Knight (Halbreds and Spears are just plain fun!) and Royalty (The early mana regen ring means that you can just spam magic spells to get through the first several areas)

The most interesting issue for me is how each class runs into it's own unique walls in the system. The Temple Knight had to deal with equip burden and stamina running out frequently, the Thief had to learn how to really roll around levels rather than just having a shield absorb damage, the Royalty has to deal with low carrying strength and how to stay away from things that will 1-shot you, etc.

It really helps the classes each feel unique when they all have to deal with their own issues like this.
I'm special!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

ChrisGrenard wrote:
Octavious230 wrote:I was reading up on 3-3 and apparently if anybody tries to invade a game anywhere in 3 they have a chance of being the final boss. So it wasn't just bad luck that I kept on hitting people at the end it was design of the game.

You didn't happen to have a friendly Phantom with you at the time, did you? Because I was with a guy who clearly got pissed at that guy in exactly the same spot and commenced to get into a fight with him. Since I was unable to help, I just sorta hung around and watched the fight.

It made me laugh though, cuz I know exactly why you were pissed at him. That's why I had left a note on the ground, "Beware the trap ahead!"
I never take any phantoms with me though I probably should. I did see a beware trap ahead sign though. Only bummer is that I can't get any heavy arrows until I beat the game and start over again. :doh:

Jag

Post by Jag »

ChrisGrenard wrote:It really helps the classes each feel unique when they all have to deal with their own issues like this.
How far into the game are you (soul level)? I ask because I feel the exact opposite.

There really are NO classes in the game, except at the very early levels. Once you start allocating stat points, you can make any classes into another one very quickly. There are no gear restrictions based on class. It is where you put stat points.

You can also get the starting class gear very easily as well. My current class looks nothing like my Knight I started with. While initially I was in all Plate and had no magic. I'm now running around in Cloth, casting powerful spells, but still capable of going toe to toe in melee if needed.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jag wrote:I did 3-3, Old Monk two nights ago. I was actually offline because I'm having horrible lockups in DS that freeze my PS3 and they seem to be less when I'm offline.

The reason people invade the Old Monk fight and take control of the boss is because they get a chance to get his Monk's Head Collar. BTW, Old Monk is probably the easiest boss fight in the game if you have a knockdown weapon like the Meat Cleaver (which is very very easy to get).
I have the meat clever I used it to beat the double boss on 3-2. It's so damn slow that it really doesn't fit my play style. I'm using a Kilij +6 and a purple shield +2 right now and wearing the Saints armor set which seems pretty good to me. I can deflect most incoming damage and then roll around and slice them to pieces. The bleed damage on the Kilij is nice to use on people that invade. I'm pretty sure I'm going upgrade to the sword of searching but haven't decided yet.

*Edit*
I'm with Jag I'm using a Knight and totally went off in a different direction. I really should start buffing up my dex as a lot of weapons use it as a modifier. What should I do with the demon souls that have upgrades for things I won't use like spells? I was just going to consume them but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something..
Last edited by Octavious on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Around Soul Level 50 with one character, others are at 30.

I do grant that you could make any class into another down the road, no doubt. But that would require a lot of changes to stat point allocation. I've tried to put effort into making sure my class stays somewhat "pure" so far, but I'm sure I'll eventually make a more well rounded character.

Oh, and yeah, that "Trap ahead" sign was probably mine :)

Edit: Also, so far I've discovered the best way to "farm" soul points is to go to world 4-1 or 4-2 (depending on what you're on) and putting down a blue stone. People are always recruiting in those worlds, and they're worth a LOT of Soul Points just by following around a person who's running through it. Plus there's no death penalty for this (unless you get killed by a Black Phantom. But if you see one of those, I recommend you try to get killed by either a cliff or a regular guy if you're afraid of getting killed by it.)
I'm special!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Octavious230 wrote: What should I do with the demon souls that have upgrades for things I won't use like spells? I was just going to consume them but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something..
I use the chart on the Wikito see what each Soul can make. If it can purchase a spell, I will use it for that since you can use them in later games too and you never know what spell you may need. If it can only be used for a weak weapon upgrade (like the Needle of Eternal Agony), I consumed it. Note that if you don't make all the Trophy Weapons, you won't get the achievement (which i don't care about).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really should start trying to join other games. I've only done it once or twice and would be a nice diversion from just trying to beat the game. I was trying to get white on all the maps and I think doing that would help. This has to be the most bizarrely perfect game I've ever played. There's just so many little details and neat things to find and do. :mrgreen:

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jag wrote:
Octavious230 wrote: What should I do with the demon souls that have upgrades for things I won't use like spells? I was just going to consume them but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something..
I use the chart on the Wikito see what each Soul can make. If it can purchase a spell, I will use it for that since you can use them in later games too and you never know what spell you may need. If it can only be used for a weak weapon upgrade (like the Needle of Eternal Agony), I consumed it. Note that if you don't make all the Trophy Weapons, you won't get the achievement (which i don't care about).
Ah k I wasn't sure if the chart had everything on it so I was a bit worried about consuming some of them.

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Amazon's price is now under $40 for this, plus I got $10 promo credit because in a weak moment I pre-ordered SSFIV. So this will be coming my way soon for only $30 (plus the price of SSFIV).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's one of the best gaming purchases that I've ever made so for that cheap it's a total steal. Played a ton last night closed out 4 so now I just have the swamp and 1-4 to close out the game. Decided to try some multiplayer last night and had a blast. Was was trying to help people with the Old Hero and they all kept on dying.

Annoying as I found him to be pretty easy. I did help one guy beat the flamelurker so I think I'll do that again tonight if I have time.

Jag

Post by Jag »

I have 1-4 still and the rest of the swamp after 5-1. I haven't done any multiplayer, so maybe i'll give that a shot. Old Hero was a joke. I mean, he's blind!

The most frustrating thing is a PS3 freezing lockup bug I get at random times that makes me have to reset the PS3. I've had emails with the head of Atlus QA, who was helpful, but couldn't figure out what is causing it. The only thing i can think of is the new HD I put in a few months ago even though everything else runs fine.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm at like 40 hours played and it's never locked up on me once. Every once in a century I'll hit a big frame rate drop that eventually fixes itself but that was only a handful of times. It was always when I fell off something really high and somehow survived. :shrug:

I think I waited to long for the multiplayer since who you can play with is based on your level. At level 54 I can only really help people with the later levels since most people have cleared the lower stuff by the time they get to my level.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think this is the only game in the world that could have me mucking around in a swamp for a hour and have me jumping for joy when I knock a damn ramp over. :mrgreen: I'm so close to the end but I won't be home for a week to finish it. I'm 100 percent sure I'm going to play NG+ as well. I think this may be my fav. game ever. If not it's certainly top 3... I'm now planning on getting the scraping spear for online play and buffing up a hammer as it looks like it's badass MP.

ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

If anybody has Skype and a laptop with a microphone, we should arrange some night to get some similiar-leveled characters together (you have to be within 10 Soul Levels of your companions, I believe) and run through some places together.
I'm special!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

ChrisGrenard wrote:If anybody has Skype and a laptop with a microphone, we should arrange some night to get some similiar-leveled characters together (you have to be within 10 Soul Levels of your companions, I believe) and run through some places together.
Hmm that's something I could probably arrange. I'm level 60 I think right now. I'll be the same next week as I won't be playing this week.

The MP is really fun wish I had started playing it from the start. I think I might make a new character that will just focus on invading other worlds. :ninja:

Jag

Post by Jag »

It's now $32 at Amazon, free shipping AND a $10 game credit. Crazy price for such an amazingly great game.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jag wrote:It's now $32 at Amazon, free shipping AND a $10 game credit. Crazy price for such an amazingly great game.
I'm still pissed that I didn't get the collectors edition. :( Sure I can get all the info from the Wiki but I love a good game guide that I can just sit and read.

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Damn, just missed that price and offer by a couple of days. Oh well, it arrived today and I played for about a half hour just to get a feel of it. So far, so good.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

On 1-1 go run up the red knight. Let me know how it goes. :twisted:

ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Octavious230 wrote:On 1-1 go run up the red knight. Let me know how it goes. :twisted:
Or pay attention to the notes left by others.

And holy hell, that guy one-shotted me for a LONG time.
I'm special!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

ChrisGrenard wrote:
Octavious230 wrote:On 1-1 go run up the red knight. Let me know how it goes. :twisted:
Or pay attention to the notes left by others.

And holy hell, that guy one-shotted me for a LONG time.
I haven't gone back to him in ages. I really should as I should be able to handle him now. Is he the same strength as the ones on 1-3?

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Oh, thaaaaaaaat red knight. I didn't know he was any different than the other dudes I'd been fighting when I attacked him. :(

Anyway I first fiddled with a hunter (came with a bow and a hatchet) for a bit, and then started a priest instead (mace, a larger shield that will actually block, and a healing spell). Got killed by the aforementioned knight and left the game there for now. I was running in offline mode (my PS3 needed an update for me to log on, and I wanted to get straight to the action) so I saw no warnings. I've updated now so next time I'll be online.

Right now I'm lost when I look at my inventory. I can't figure out how to tell what condition my equipment is in, how to equip the items I find or how to tell if I can even use them yet, and so on. I guess I'll be browsing the manual before I play again.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I'm special!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Don't worry about the weapon stats for now. It doesn't matter at this level. Just think basics. Swords slash, hammers blunt, rapiers and spears stab.

It will be so confusing that you will want to quit. Just figure out the symbol system to see what you can equip via your stats. (which you can't adjust until you kill the first boss)

The best weapon hint I got was from the FAQ. There is a Merchant in the upper level of the first level in a room. He sells a spear for 2000 souls. A very very smart purchase since you can stab with your shield raised AND you can attack from a distance. Very helpful way to melee your early levels.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Oops. It was a blue knight that killed me- not the red. I saw the red tonight -- off in the distance. And kept it that way.

So in my first attempt with this character, I made it to that blue knight in one go. Then when I played again, it took me many tries just to get back to that guy. I don't know if I was sucking tonight because I was rushing through the familiar parts, or if my equipment now sucks or something else. Does the number of souls you have have anything to do with how hard you hit?

I played online this time and it's kind of cool seeing the ghosts and how people die and stuff. I don't quite get all the messages- there's one I saw twice that said "sticky white stuff"- it is really telling me something or is it just a risque joke? Also some have like 1000+ rating, while some are 0- and I didn't see many ratings in between.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Here's how messages work (as far as I'm aware):

When you're online all of *your* messages are in the gameworld. So if a guy who plays a lot is online, all of his useful messages will be all over the place.

Meanwhile, if I was the only person online, you'd find a bunch of +0 or +1 messages, since I'm pretty new.

As far as "Sticky White Stuff" that's an item that enchants your weapon. He probably meant that hidden somewhere nearby was one of those items.
I'm special!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Tscott wrote:So in my first attempt with this character, I made it to that blue knight in one go. Then when I played again, it took me many tries just to get back to that guy. I don't know if I was sucking tonight because I was rushing through the familiar parts, or if my equipment now sucks or something else.
That is how the first level will go. The nice thing is once you get close to the end, you will get to open the gate that will let you avoid most of those areas next time you go up. I know the feeling of sometimes getting somewhere the first time and then taking a million times the next time you go. What I eventually realized is all those 'failed' attempts were actually making me a much better DS player so later levels become a breeze because YOU have learned how to play better. One of the cool things about the game.

Even if you don't get any actual experience, you are getting real experience. It's how some players can beat the entire game at Soul Level 1.
Tscott wrote:Does the number of souls you have have anything to do with how hard you hit?
No. Its a fixed amount for each creature, but varies depending on the world tendency (which you shouldn't worry about at all right now). Don't worry about saving souls except to get that spear (which is at the vendor behind the fog the blue knight is in IIRC).
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Woo. Started new character- Temple Knight. Got to the first demon, killed it to revive without dying once. :D
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Can people invade my world at any time now? I haven't had it happen yet, but this morning I was playing a bit more and had to leave the room for a bit. There's no in game pause that I know of, but I was in a "safe" area and I was fine when I returned. Yet later, in retrospect, I thought that I hadn't been too smart because if someone invaded me I would've been toast.