Demon's Souls

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Re: Demon's Souls

Post by Jag »

I know the Geckos to get the stones, but I killed all the 2 bosses and wasn't able to get the stones before the Geckos vanished.

For the str ring Thomas gives you, you need the Jade Hairpin from Ostrava in 1. If Ostrava died and you left the area without picking up his stuff, you lose the hairpin and the key to an optional boss.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Jag wrote:I know the Geckos to get the stones, but I killed all the 2 bosses and wasn't able to get the stones before the Geckos vanished.

For the str ring Thomas gives you, you need the Jade Hairpin from Ostrava in 1. If Ostrava died and you left the area without picking up his stuff, you lose the hairpin and the key to an optional boss.
No, that Hairpin comes from when you cut down the corpses on the first tower. Ostrava is *just* the key.

Edit: Oh, and a spyglass. He has a spyglass. It's not all that useful, but here's what you can do with it.
I'm special!
Jag

Post by Jag »

ChrisGrenard wrote:
Jag wrote:I know the Geckos to get the stones, but I killed all the 2 bosses and wasn't able to get the stones before the Geckos vanished.

No, that Hairpin comes from when you cut down the corpses on the first tower. Ostrava is *just* the key.

Edit: Oh, and a spyglass. He has a spyglass. It's not all that useful, but here's what you can do with it.
Yep. I got those confused. That Fragrant Ring is useful for non-Royalty classes.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Twice tonight I made the perilous journey to the bottom of 2-2. Twice I've fought the demon down to less than 25% HP. Twice I've eventually gotten backed into a corner and died.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Soul arrow kicks the flamelurkers ass. I actually learned the spell just to beat him and didn't really use it again as I tried to stay pure melee and bow.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I'm using Soul Ray, it takes a good chunk off his bar each hit. I just get unlucky before getting him dead. The second time he jumped on me and I was pinned to the scenery and couldn't move to get out of the way.

I'm currently watching(and rewatching) youtube videos on getting down using the shortcut. I made it down safely on my first attempt. Then died twice trying to recreate it.

My second time I reached the end, I took the long way down. Those giant bear bugs take annoyingly long to kill, as I've got no damage over time spells at the moment.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I ignored the Bear Bugs. I also used the videos to find the sweet spot for Flamelurker and used the Thief Ring to plink him with arrows.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Flamelurker is dead. I lost a whole bunch of souls though, as it took me two attempts to safely make it down what I'm calling The Leap of Faith Chasm.

As for ignoring the Bear Bugs going the long way, I think there's one or two in those narrow tunnels that you can't avoid.

Right now I've got a +6 Winged Spear as my main weapon, and my upgrade options are A) making it a +1 Moon weapon, or B) making it +7 and then into a Scraping Spear, or C) keep upgrading up til +10 on the normal path, or D) leave it as is and pick a better weapon to find/upgrade. My Magic isn't too high right now as I'm also leveling up Int, End and Vit, so I don't know if I'd see the benefits of a Moon weapon until NG+ (if I continue that far with this character). The Scraping Spear has the cool weapon degrading thing going for it, but its damage is mostly based on Dex, which I haven't put any points into- not to mention I'd need to add points to Dex to meet the requirements of the weapon.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Scraping Spear is considered the ultimate asshole weapon of the game, especially in PVP.

Personally, I'd hold onto it as-is, and maybe get a new Winged Spear and start it on either the Crushing or Sharp paths to boost either DEX or STR damage.
I'm special!
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Yeah. I'm going to keep it as is for now. I'm almost through 4-1 and finding some interesting blades to experiment with, including a +1 Crescent Falcon which does killer damage for my character and regenerates mana to boot.

But, I'm not currently using melee anyway. Fire Spray and running backwards rules on this level. At least when you've got room to run backwards (watch those cliffs!).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

ChrisGrenard wrote:Scraping Spear is considered the ultimate asshole weapon of the game, especially in PVP.

Personally, I'd hold onto it as-is, and maybe get a new Winged Spear and start it on either the Crushing or Sharp paths to boost either DEX or STR damage.
I made mine a scraping spear for MP. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Not really related but when I was finishing my first run some guy invaded me on 1-4 with a katana and tried to just hack me to death. I beat the living crap out of him with my sword of searching and shield. If you're that high of a level you would think you would know better. He didn't even try to block a single shot. I think he hit me like twice. :mrgreen:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Yes. 4-1 and 2-3 are done. And now with an archdemon slain, I can finally venture into 1-3. Now I've got to decide: Firestorm or Fireball?
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

<Insert incredible string of explitives here>

It's been a rough morning with DS.
I'm special!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Cleared all of two and 1-1 and 1-2 in NG+ so far. I hate hate hate the spider it's the most annoying boss. I totally kicked the Tower Knights ass. Knocked him down and took him out in 3 shots. :mrgreen:

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

ChrisGrenard wrote:<Insert incredible string of explitives here>

It's been a rough morning with DS.
Oh, do tell.

As for me, after a successful morning, I'm having some troubles tonight. I ventured into 1-3 and I've been having a ton of fun, but then I followed a shortcut indicated by someone's message and found myself next to one of those fireball guys and he's killed me twice now. The first time I managed to get back and retrieve my souls, before he killed me again. I stopped playing for now. I need to rethink my strategy before I go back and potentially lose all those souls I've worked hard to twice collect.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I forgot to mention that I got killed by the boss on 2-1 and have a bloodspot with 70,000 souls. I'm going to be really pissed if I don't get back there and reclaim in.

ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I've lost 170,000 souls today, among 2 different characters. Thus the string of expletives.
I'm special!
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Woot. I got my 45,000+ souls back this morning. And killed that stupid Fat Minister that killed me twice -allowing me to finally open a major shortcut in this level. Don't know what my problem was with him, as I've handled others like him just fine.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Tscott wrote:Woot. I got my 45,000+ souls back this morning. And killed that stupid Fat Minister that killed me twice -allowing me to finally open a major shortcut in this level. Don't know what my problem was with him, as I've handled others like him just fine.
Is that area's World Tendancy shifting towards black? That'll make things a LOT harder on you.
I'm special!
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I don't think I've done anything to shift to black. I just didn't handle him right. Usually, I try to get an obstacle between the Fat Minister and myself to help block their fire spells. This time there was nothing to use and I was on a narrow straight stairway with nowhere to run. When I finally beat him, I had managed to jump over the stairway railing and had more room to strafe him as I pelted him with Fire Spray.

But speaking of world tenancy, I just remembered I should head back to world 2, as it should be pure white after beating all the bosses.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Ok. Why am I just now find this out? "Whenever you play online, your world tendencies will shift towards an invisible unpublished global server tendency setting. Because this will make it hard to keep pure black or white states if desired, it is strongly recommended to play in offline mode when you need to carefully control your world tendencies."

I should have more than enough going for me to have Pure White in world 2: I killed the first two bosses for +1 each, and killed the archdemon for +3. But I don't have Pure White Tendency. And the only thing I can find to explain it is the quote above. I never died in body form in the world, I didn't kill any NPCs, I never was invaded by black phantoms.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Well, RDR didn't seem to overtake my obsession with Demon's Souls. I finished 1-3 today. Finally. The thing that took me so long with this one, was I was looking everywhere for how to rescue 'Y' the Witch so I could get access to all possible spells. Finally resorted to a walkthrough, as I wouldn't have found it any other way. (I didn't think I needed to go back to 1-2 for anything, and then the hat trick.)

I've got Firestorm now. It's fun to use, but takes up a lot of slots and a lot of MP. But the boss in 1-3 was a pushover with that spell- as long as I had Spice to replenish my MP.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Ok. Can someone PLEASE explain how to manipulate World Tenancy? Or what I'm doing wrong? I've started a new character, I beat 2-3 while offline (2-1 and 2-2 where done earlier while online) and I figured if I was already towards the white, I'd be at Pure White by killing the archdemon. I wasn't. I reloaded the level just in case. I still wasn't.

Ok, maybe I can get it to turn black. The Talisman of Beasts is what I really want anyway- and that requires pure black. So I suicide. Use an ephemeral eye to revive. Suicide again, and again. Eight times. I check my World Tenancy- world two looks just like all the others (maybe even brighter). From reading this page I figured dying 8 times should be enough to bring a World from pure white to pure black- and I wasn't at pure white to begin with!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm pretty sure you have to return to the nexus afterwards before it will change. I never bothered trying to move the world in any particular direction though. Also I think you move the tendency more if you kill the boss in soul form. Still need to go to the Nexus afterwards to have the alignment change too.

Jag

Post by Jag »

Yeah, I think you have to return to the Nexus after the 8 deaths to get it pure black. I had the same issue, I used like 10 ephemerals.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Thanks guys. I started the game up tonight and found world 2 in pure black. The Talisman of Beasts is now mine! Heheheh. I'm having fun with this character and not worrying too much about a specific build. I hope I not spreading my points too far, as I've been raising stats to be able to wield the Meat Cleaver, Scraping Spear and Talisman of Beasts.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I had a good night with this game last night, despite getting invaded and killed for the first time (I forgot I had recently revived when I entered 4-2 to just get a couple thousand more souls I needed for the next soul level).

Finished off 3-1, 1-3, 5-1 and the Old King in 1-1. I'm loving the Meat Cleaver, as it's taking down bosses with just a few hits, but when you miss with the Meat Cleaver you're left very vulnerable for a long time so I'm going to work on upgrading a faster blessed weapon too. One that doesn't eat up all my stamina in two swings.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Done with 3-2, 3-3, 4-2, 4-3. So all that's left is 1-4, 5-2 and 5-3 (and the endgame).

I working on 5-2 now; what a pain. I'm wandering lost through the entire swamp. I finally find the 'village' area, and I wander lost around there for a while too. Then I finally find a narrow walkway that leads up- promising. But on my way up, I'm attacked by a couple of those mosquito type things, my guy takes a half step forward when he swings to attack and falls back into the swamp. Then I found a slug nest thingy I missed before, but accidentally fall off a ledge to my death there. Bah. At least I didn't have very many souls on me at the time, and I collected enough faintstone to upgrade my Blessed weapon to +2.

One other misstep I encountered: I was going to buy some Large Hardstone from the vendor in 2-2, but forgot about the flying bug thingies. So I was attacked as I was browsing the store, and quickly exited and swung my Meat Cleaver in defence. The vendor got slightly nicked by the AOE damage, and wouldn't stop attacking me- even attacked me in 2-1. So I guess I'm farming for stones if I want to upgrade any other basic weapons.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

So is everyone playing RDR now? I'm talking to myself. :)

Blue Dragon is proving to be a problem. And I accidentally hit Biorr with a poison cloud while fighting it (I was trying to aim with my bow, but I hadn't two-handed yet, so I wound up casting a spell with my left hand instead). He ignored it for a while, but once he got enough damage he got pissed at me and I had to kill him. Oops. I was overburdened with his equipment once he went down, so I had to switch rings to carry it all and returned to the Nexus after wasting a ton of arrows.

I may try running past him when I play tonight just to finish my first playthrough. I've only got a +4 bow anyway, and the vendor is dead that sells the upgrade stones I need to get it to +7 to make a Lava Bow.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I had 2 more worlds to finish, but the game locks up my PS3 constantly now and I have no patience to keep resetting it. I would have loved to finish the game, but even getting a new disc from Atlus didn't fix my issues, so I am done with it which is unfortunate since it was the only game I was playing on the PS3.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Sounds like a PS3 problem rather than a game problem. It certainly isn't a disc problem anyways. Perhaps a save game problem?
Baron Of Hell

Post by Baron Of Hell »

The sever will be shut down in Mar 2011. Plenty of time to hack your way to the end.
PSN ID: Baron-Of-Hell
Steam: Baron_Of_Hell
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

So, the game will be fine for single-player, right? You just won't get the notes from other players or getting invaded?
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Baron Of Hell

Post by Baron Of Hell »

Yep or be able to summon someone for help.
PSN ID: Baron-Of-Hell
Steam: Baron_Of_Hell
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Correct playing single player will work fine... Seeing the ghosts of other players running around and seeing tips everywhere was part of the charm for me though. I'd give MP a shot before trying to avoid it.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

$20 on Gamestop now, free shipping.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Best 20 bucks you will ever spend. Easily one of the most original and fun games I've ever played. I really need to go back and finish my second game.

Elbino

Post by Elbino »

I would like to say that I played this for a while today and beat the first boss (Phalanx). I haven't had this sort of initial impression of a game since maybe even the first Civ game. Everything about this game says polish and fun. Mainly fun. I died 30 or 40 times I'm sure and never once thought of quitting. I had a great time with the boss, getting a little closer to a win each time. The shortcuts come at just the right times too.
I can't wait to explore the depth. Even just barely scratching the surface, it's great.
OO, GWJ, QT3
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

As if in response to the reviving of this thread, Demon's Souls (PS3) with accompanying soundtrack CD (?!) is $15 on Amazon.
Octavious

Demon's Souls

Post by Octavious »

Great now I will have to bust the game out again!!!