concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Xmann »

June 14th my wife, myself, and 7 year old son will be seeing Iron Maiden!! I've missed them so many times that i refused to pass up another chance. I believe my 7 year old is more excited than my wife and I. I got chocked up when he asked me, "Daddy, you think they will play Number of the Beast?"

That's the only show i've actually bought tickets for. However, there are several other shows between now and September i really wanna go see. July is Mayhem Festival. August is Slayer and Megadeth. September is the Uproar Festival. And finally October is Alice in Chain with Mastadon and Red Rocks.

Of those shows, Slayer is #1 on my list followed by Alice in Chains.

What is everyone else seeing this summer/fall?
Last edited by Xmann on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
GungHo

Re: Summer concerts....who you seeing?

Post by GungHo »

Xmann wrote:June 14th my wife, myself, and 7 year old son will be seeing Iron Maiden!! I've missed them so many times that i refused to pass up another chance. I believe my 7 year old is more excited than my wife and I. I got chocked up when he asked me, "Daddy, you think they will play Number of the Beast?"

That's the only show i've actually bought tickets for. However, there are several other shows between now and September i really wanna go see. July is Mayhem Festival. August is Slayer and Megadeth. September is the Uproar Festival. And finally October is Alice in Chain with Mastadon and Red Rocks.

Of those shows, Slayer is #1 on my list followed by Alice in Chains.

What is everyone else seeing this summer/fall?

Haha Me, my step-daughter ,and a buddy are going to see Maiden + Dream Theater(which is who me and my buddy are REALLY interested in seeing..the kid is going for Maiden :lol: ).

Thats actually a week from today now that I think about it.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Nobody this year, I'm afraid. The baby has put a bit of a damper on our annual summer concert plans. :cry:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Thanks to this thread I checked the local (walking distance) venues. Looks like I'll be seeing the Trashcan Sinatras on Sunday!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Brian

Post by Brian »

August is Rush.

July is a free concert with Styx, Kansas, and Foreigner.

This month Tom Petty will be in town but we won't be making that one.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I was really considering the Styx, Kansas, Foreigner show.....but i just can't listen to Styx without Dennis Deyoung :(

They are at Red Rocks and that'll probably be a great show.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Toe

Post by Toe »

I saw Andy Mckee this past Thursday in Nashville. He was pretty awesome.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

No plans yet outside of the Gobshites later this summer and I don't know that they really count anymore. Once I have some money I'll probably actively hunt for music to go see.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Hopefully Sonic Youth in the park near my home. Will probably have to leave the baby and spouse at home for that one.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I think if my son can tolerate Iron Maiden in a couple weeks, i'll get tickets for us to see Alice in Chains. He recently discovered them when we heard Man in the Box on the radio the other day.

Trying to convince him to like Slayer or Megadeth, but they scare him too much and don't think the wife will let me drag him to that concert. Probably will be going solo for that show.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I took my daughter to see Abney Park this weekend in Detroit. It's her favorite band in the world, and i told her that if they were ever within a few hours of us, I would take her to see them. Well, I guess 5 hours can be considered "a few".

As far as other concerts this summer, I hope to be catching Steve Martin, Cheap Trick and Squeeze, Swell Season, and maybe Jethro Tull at Ravina. And maybe a couple of their classical concerts as well.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers are coming to NJ at the end of July. The venue is in a meh part of the state, but I fear that if I don't go see them I'll slip into a severe depression.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jag

Post by Jag »

Already saw Paul McCartney, but that really wasn't summer. Probably take the kids to Rush and seeing Pink Floyd in October. Steve Miller is playing after a baseball game, so I'll probably catch him as well.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dave Matthews Band on Sep 11. They have announced that they are taking next year off from touring.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

In July I'll be seeing Rush and Weezer here in Sarnia.
August I'll be at Lollapalooza in Chicago seeing too many bands to list.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blues Traveler at Red Rocks on the 4th of July. Possibly Rush later in the year.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Grant Park Symphony Orchestra:

6/16 Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
6/30 Music of Poland
7/9 Sibelius Sym. No. 2
7/14 Petrushka
7/241 Planet Earth Live
7/31 Mexican Classical Music
8/6 Mozart and Rossini finales
8/13 Dvorak's Requiem
8/18 Brahms and Bizet
8/20 Mahler Sym. No. 2

There are a few others I might attend as well, but that is my "must" list.

Ravinia

Maybe Jethro Tull and Procol Harum on 6/20
Maybe Cheap Trick and Squeeze on 7/10
Maybe Sting on 7/17 or 18
For sure one or more Chicago Symphony concerts, the exact shows are being discussed.

I'm also bound to see at least one washed-up 70's icon (aside from those at Ravinia) playing the neighborhood fest circuit. Last 2 years, it was Dennis DeYoung doing mostly Styx songs.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not sure. New stuff is added every week and I steer toward things I might want to see and then see if I see them. On my current radar.

6/8 Trashcan Sinatras at the Magic Stick. Though probably not. Allergy season is killing me.
6/10 She Wants Revenge/Psych Furs at the ROMT. Will be a game time decision.
6/11 The Futureheads and The Like at the Magic Stick. A great double bill.
6/18 Mucca Pazza at the Top of the Park kicking off the Ann Arbor Summerfest. I should be up for this. Free show.
6/20 Blues Traveller closes drunk fest... Um Detroit River Fest. Again free show. I've never seen them, so why not.
6/24 The Melvins at Smalls. If I go then I can take them off my to do before they die list.
6/25 The Ruiners are opening for Question Mark and the Mysterions at Alvins. Should be a great time. But probably won't go if I have to go alone.
7/1 Streetlight Manifesto at the Magic Stick. But I may get intimidated by youth from seeing that show.
7/15 Galight Anthem at the Fillmore. Probably not, though. They jumped form a $10 show to a $30 (plus service charges) show this year and they moved to the $9 a beer and pay $10 to $20 for parking venue and I'm pretty sick of that venue.
7/17 Goober and the Peas at Saint Andrews Hall. I need to get tickets soon before they sell out.
7/25 Candlebox at Riverfest in St Claire because why not, the price is right.
8/4 The Big Pink at the Magic Stick. They'll be a gametime decision.
8/5 Juliette Lewis at the Magic Stick.
8/20 Black Crowes at the Filmore. Again cost and venue will probably make me veto this before then.

I'm also awaiting announcements for events at things like Dally in the Alley and Tastefest

There are a lot bands I expect to announce dates yet that haven't. In particular I am hoping to hear announcementss from bands like White Denim, Noah and the Whale, Okkervil River, Band of Skulls, and Eugene McGuiness among many others and remain ever hopeful that bands like Cake or Jesse Dayton will venture this way.

There's something almost every night of every week if I look for it but I haven't the time, energy, or money to see the shows I want to see.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

YellowKing wrote:Nobody this year, I'm afraid. The baby has put a bit of a damper on our annual summer concert plans. :cry:
Welcome to parenthood. It gets better - next year you'll be able to choose from Elmo, Dora and Barney.

I'm seeing Silversun Pickups again in a month or so. Poi Dog Pondering promised they'd be back sometime this summer so I'll go whenever they show up.

And this fall my big ticket item is Roger Waters. My brother snagged 19th row seats. We won't talk about how much we spent on them. :oops:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Exodor wrote:I'm seeing Silversun Pickups again in a month or so. Poi Dog Pondering promised they'd be back sometime this summer so I'll go whenever they show up.

And this fall my big ticket item is Roger Waters. My brother snagged 19th row seats. We won't talk about how much we spent on them. :oops:
I thought about Silversun Pickups and Roger Waters but decided I was priced out of those shows. I also thought about Simon and Garfunkels and Tom Petty and Steely Dan among many others. I just can't warrant their prices for an evening out. Congrats to all these bands for being able to pull down that kind of green. I just can't support it. You want to wonder what's killing "live music" for me it's:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/The-Palace- ... enue/65562" target="_blank

$450 for pretty good seats?
$702 for the really good seats?

And don't forget all the other charges on top of that.

Or you could get the cheapest shitty seats for a mere $70 plus service charges of about half again the price of seats at a venue where you get pay $25 for parking where you get to pay strip club prices for a beer or soda or water if you want one.

Again, more power to ya. But I'd prefer being a foot away from Juliette Lewis going psycho for ten bucks and loving the personality of her performance and music in a venue where I can park next to the bar for free and my only bitch for the evening will be paying $5.00 plus a buck tip for a beer.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I may try to see The Avett Brothers in Savannah on June 11, but that sort of depends where I'm at in my month-long research road trip.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Man, there's a whole lotta nothin' coming to Salt Lake this summer. I might spring for Primus in August, but that's about it.

I'm pretty excited about Legendary Pink Dots coming in October, but that doesn't really count as a "summer" concert.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote:Man, there's a whole lotta nothin' coming to Salt Lake this summer. I might spring for Primus in August, but that's about it.

I'm pretty excited about Legendary Pink Dots coming in October, but that doesn't really count as a "summer" concert.
Primus are playing with Gogol Bordello for much of this tour and they are skipping Detroit. :(

Gogol Bordello are sort of selling out and becoming a rock and roll show and that's sad but I'd still pay go to that show in heart beat. I've never seen a Les Claypool band have less than a stellar performance. GB just end up being a bonus that way.

I've always wanted to see the LPDs. The last time I would have made an opportunity I still missed them. :( That night one of my boys got his face shattered in a freak throwing a guy across the venue accident. They had to stop the show and hall him out in an ambulance. The band had a good sense of humor about the whole thing, so I'm told. The good news is after they bolted his face back together, they let him keep a copy of the xray and he made a print in to a TShirt. I still have one of the those shirts twenty years later.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I wonder how we made it out of our teens and early twenties.
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

Cape Cod has very little in the way of live music venues but we are going to a few local this year as we are trying to cut down the Road Trip budget after going to MusicFest in Steamboat this past January

I
July 3rd Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi Band at the Hyannis Melody Tent(It's her hometown so it always is a good time) The tent is a theater in the round that rotates as they play not a bad seat in the house as it is only about 30 rows deep, we belong to the club so are seats are always right up front
July 16 Kathleen Edwards at the Beachcomber which over looks the Atlantic ocean in Wellfleet,MA always a great show there http://www.thebeachcomber.com/
July 20 Donovan Frankenreiter at the Beachcomber(never heard of him until I got the tickets)
July 30 Umphry McGee at the Hyannis Melody Tent
July 31 Chelsea Handler at the Hyannis Melody Tent

August 4 Built To Spill at the Beachcomber(never heard of them until I got the tickets)
August 14 Counting Crows at the Hyannis Melody Tent
August 20 Rhett Miller at the Beachcomber

October Cross Canadian Ragweed in Chicago as it is supposed to be there last show before their hiatus
Booner

Post by Booner »

Toe wrote:I saw Andy Mckee this past Thursday in Nashville. He was pretty awesome.
I bet. Dude can lay down some tech licks, but they still have tons of emotion....he's a real talent.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

U2 in East Lansing was our only outing on tap for the summer, but it's been postponed due to Bono's back surgery. No new date set.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Crabbs wrote:U2 in East Lansing was our only outing on tap for the summer, but it's been postponed due to Bono's back surgery. No new date set.
You should go check out Miss Pussykatt. She rarely makes it to the east side of the state. :ninja:

http://www.myspace.com/misspussykatt" target="_blank

Z Corn in 5... 4... 3... 2...
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

Maybe Matt Pond PA next week. Possibly Off With Their Heads w/Dear Landlord next weekend. Anything beyond that is too far out to plan for.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Pretty sure i'm gonna buy tickets for Slayer, Megadeth, Testament this Friday.

I watched the Slayer goes to Church video on YouTube last night and had another good laugh.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
disarm

Post by disarm »

i'd like to hit quite a few shows, but the only one i have tickets for so far is Megadeth/Slayer/Testament...should kick total ass Image
Xmann wrote:Pretty sure i'm gonna buy tickets for Slayer, Megadeth, Testament this Friday.

I watched the Slayer goes to Church video on YouTube last night and had another good laugh.
dude...just buy the tickets. you know it's gonna be awesome :twisted:
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Forgot that me and a buddy are going to Queensryche(for like the 30th time lol) in August. As they're playing House of Blues it'll be the first time we've seen em in a more "intimate" setting. Every other time it's been a 15,000 seat arena, which is cool, but Im looking forward to a new vibe.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Booner wrote:
Toe wrote:I saw Andy Mckee this past Thursday in Nashville. He was pretty awesome.
I bet. Dude can lay down some tech licks, but they still have tons of emotion....he's a real talent.
You guys just made me whip out my McKee Pandora station for the first time in awhile.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Rush and Marian Call in August. Maybe Dar Williams in November. I'm not sure what else at this point.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

gbasden wrote:Rush and Marian Call in August. Maybe Dar Williams in November. I'm not sure what else at this point.
I really want to go see Rush at Red Rocks in Aug, but even the nosebleed seats (ha, I guess that's all of them at Red Rocks?) are not cheap. I have trouble paying enough to purchase their entire collected works just to see them for a couple hours. But then I remember that they're playing Moving Pictures in its entirety. Dilemmas!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Zaxxon wrote:
gbasden wrote:Rush and Marian Call in August. Maybe Dar Williams in November. I'm not sure what else at this point.
I really want to go see Rush at Red Rocks in Aug, but even the nosebleed seats (ha, I guess that's all of them at Red Rocks?) are not cheap. I have trouble paying enough to purchase their entire collected works just to see them for a couple hours. But then I remember that they're playing Moving Pictures in its entirety. Dilemmas!
I had the same mental conflict. Then I remembered they were going to do all of Moving Pictures and my willingness to shell out $100 shot right up.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote:Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers are coming to NJ at the end of July. The venue is in a meh part of the state, but I fear that if I don't go see them I'll slip into a severe depression.
What's wrong with Teaneck? Too far? Otherwise, that place isn't in a bad neighborhood by any means.

Oh and thread-wise: I'm seeing The Silversun Pickups with Against Me! -- great bill -- and Pavement in September. That should be pretty awesome. I might fill in some miscellaneous shows, but I'm kinda burned out on shows right now.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If the weather's nice on July 18 we'll see the Boston Pops with Arlo Guthrie (narrated by Alec Baldwin) at Tanglewood. I'm no fan of the Pops but I do like Arlo. He lives in Stockbridge so Tanglewood is practically his back yard, and he performs there every year.

If it gets rained out we'll probably see the BSO one other day that week. They're performing a Mahler symphony (choral, ugh) and an all-Mozart program while we're there.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ironrod wrote:If the weather's nice on July 18 we'll see the Boston Pops with Arlo Guthrie (narrated by Alec Baldwin) at Tanglewood. I'm no fan of the Pops but I do like Arlo. He lives in Stockbridge so Tanglewood is practically his back yard, and he performs there every year.

If it gets rained out we'll probably see the BSO one other day that week. They're performing a Mahler symphony (choral, ugh) and an all-Mozart program while we're there.
He sings funny songs about Moose taking over MA live of the couple of occasions I saw him and about turning his inland property in to an ocean front view.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote:What's wrong with Teaneck? Too far? Otherwise, that place isn't in a bad neighborhood by any means.
Yeah, it's kind of a hike. And it's GA + dinner. That makes me feel...meh. But it's the only chance I'll have to see the quasi-Refreshements and I'd probably be more upset if I didn't. That's why I'm trying to coerce Trent into driving me if I buy him admission. :)
I'm seeing The Silversun Pickups with Against Me! -- great bill -- and Pavement in September. That should be pretty awesome. I might fill in some miscellaneous shows, but I'm kinda burned out on shows right now.
Interesting. I didn't know they were in the area either. I might have to check them out as well. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: OMG Huey Lewis and the news is coming in July. Head explodes!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, it's kind of a hike. And it's GA + dinner. That makes me feel...meh. But it's the only chance I'll have to see the quasi-Refreshements and I'd probably be more upset if I didn't. That's why I'm trying to coerce Trent into driving me if I buy him admission. :)
I wouldn't recommend the food. Honestly, it is poorly done Mexican. There is a place called Pancho's in New Milford (right next door to Teaneck effectively) that has some of the best in the state. I moved from that vicinity 2 years ago and I cry a little inside when I think about it. I've driven up there from the New Brunswick area twice in the past year just to go there.