Opera
3%
Other
9%

Total votes: 97

craterus

What Web Browser do you recommend?

Post by craterus »

I have been using firefox for the last couple of years... but since I am re-building my computer thought I would make a poll...

Leaving it so you can re-choose your vote if you change your mind a year from now...
Last edited by craterus on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The direwolf graces the banners of House Stark," Jon pointed out. "I am no Stark, Father." A Game of Thrones
(referral link) Season 24 for GPRO racing manager game - starting the 10th of Feb
The OO GPRO thread - come on over and share some data
Pyperkub

Re: What Web Browser do you recommend?

Post by Pyperkub »

Firefox with adblock.

Yes you can adblock the others, but Google's ToS bother me. I might be persuaded to try a Chromium build, but it sounds like too much work.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't know that I "recommend" it because I really don't care what anyone else uses...but I like Firefox the way I have it tricked out.

I've installed Chrome but never even looked at it yet.

IE is the only one I recommend against, and only because it's a crapware magnet. I hear that MS has improved its defenses with the latest version so maybe my opinion's outdated.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Kraken wrote:IE is the only one I recommend against, and only because it's a crapware magnet. I hear that MS has improved its defenses with the latest version so maybe my opinion's outdated.
Official site for features of that nature, if you're curious.
-mf
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Kraken wrote:IE is the only one I recommend against, and only because it's a crapware magnet. I hear that MS has improved its defenses with the latest version so maybe my opinion's outdated.
Official site for features of that nature, if you're curious.
It stands to reason that they would have cleaned up their act. I made my wife switch to Firefox after cleaning some especially pernicious IE-acquired malware off her machine. I don't think MS can redeem their reputation with me, but I'm glad to read that they're trying.
craterus

Post by craterus »

Thanks for participating in the poll... I was expecting more love for chrome. It will be curious to see a year from now if chrome gains ground on firefox.

Been using IE for a couple of days... it is interesting to see the changes that they made, but will install firefox shortly.
"The direwolf graces the banners of House Stark," Jon pointed out. "I am no Stark, Father." A Game of Thrones
(referral link) Season 24 for GPRO racing manager game - starting the 10th of Feb
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Firefox gets a lot of love because it seems way more customizable. Chrome is a bloated monster. Right now on my system it's using 10 processes and about 310MB of memory. That seems insane to me.

I have no idea why I use (or voted for) Chrome. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
craterus

Post by craterus »

RunningMn9 wrote:Firefox gets a lot of love because it seems way more customizable. Chrome is a bloated monster. Right now on my system it's using 10 processes and about 310MB of memory. That seems insane to me.

I have no idea why I use (or voted for) Chrome. :)
votes should be changable in this poll (will do this for the virus poll as well)... :)
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

I used Firefox for years and I loved the themes and the extensions (noscript and adblock especially), but after a while I got tired of the not-infrequent crashes and the general bloat of the program.

So I downloaded Opera and I've been using it ever since (a couple years now). Unmodified, it's the best browser out there in my opinion. There are a few things I'd change (I'd like to be able to attach the Speed Dial to the Home button; I'd like to be able to modify the Bookmarks menu with drag and drop / right click functionality; I prefer the way adblocker works to the way Opera's content blocker works, etc...) but it's nothing vital.

I tried Chrome but the fact that it added two tasks to the scheduled task manager without my permission (which ended up crashing itself every hour, on the hour, until I changed it) kind of put me off. When I learned that it didn't support actual content blocking, that really put me off.

So, while not perfect, I'm going to stick with Opera for the time being. I could see myself possibly going back to Firefox in the future, though.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Opera

It can block content(right click, choose 'block content"), tabs and mouse gestures built into the system. It's faster and more stable than FF for me, and Chrome is still very clunky in areas like mouse gestures.

It's very rare that I run into a page that won't work with Opera, then it's time for IE.

Someday I think Chrome will be as smooth and slick as Opera, that's the day I'll switch to Chrome. I think there will be advantages to going with Google's browser, but not now.

The only reason I can see with sticking with FF is the ability to customize. That used to be important to me, but now I just need a few things(tabs, mouse gestures) handled well, which is why I've moved on.
Dan256

Post by Dan256 »

I use Opera. I think I've been using Opera ever since Netscape was bought out by AOL, whenever that was...

I tried Firefox when it came out, but I couldn't think of a compelling reason to switch from Opera, I was very comfortable with Opera by then, and I really didn't give Firefox much of a chance, nor have I ever regretted not giving Firefox a chance. Opera works very well for me.

I haven't even bothered looking at Chrome. Google is getting to be a little too big for my tastes. "Gobble" might be a more appropriate name for them. Their motto, "Do no Evil" just makes me all the more suspicious of them.

One of the things I like about Opera is the ability to customize preferences for each site. I run my browser with javascript, cookies, pop-ups, and other add-ons all turned off by default, and I give certain websites additional functionality as needed. Opera makes all of that easy.

For ad blocking, I use a "hosts" file; it seems to block most stuff. I rarely mess with the Opera content blocking because I can put up with the few things that get past the "hosts" file, and if something annoying does get past my "hosts" file it's easy enough to pop into content blocking and get rid of it, but that's rare for me to have to do that.

Love the "Speed Dial" on Opera. Long ago, I customized it for 25 pages, and made a customized button for it on my toolbar. I had to search around on their forums to figure out how to do that, but it was worth the time and effort. (Octopus Overlords has always had a space on my speed dial :wink: )

Not sure why Opera has such a small market share; I presume people can't get over the crappy name. What the hell does Opera have to do with the internet? And who the hell likes opera; that's for fat ladies, isn't it? Firefox is a cool name, Chrome is ok, but Opera? WTF were they thinking?

Anyway. It's a pretty good browser, I'm using it right now even. :P
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Used Firefox for years, but I was one of those people who would have Firefox memory usage occasionally jump to over a gigabyte and I'd have to force shutdown. (All the way up to 3.6, my last commonly used Firefox version.)

Chrome runs beautifully on my systems, and since it has extensions now it's my browser of choice. My girlfriend still prefers Firefox even after giving her Chrome.

So in other words,

Code: Select all

Firefox and Chrome are both great.
I'm special!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Used Firefox from many years and then it started crashing, locking up, and not shutting down, so I tried out Chrome. Haven't had any problems since the switch and it does everything I want (which is very little since I don't use extensions or the like).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

IE is still necessary as many websites go out of their way to disable themselves if you use anything but. So there are no browsers that can REPLACE IE, only ones that can augment it.

My laptop has IE, Chrome, and Firefox. Firefox is probably unneeded and can be uninstalled.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

I switched from Opera to Firefox years ago because I was sick of compatibility problems. A website that doesn't work on Firefox is quite rare in my browsing. Can't remember the last time I had to use IE because Firefox wouldn't work.

I think I must be weird though, I hardly notice flash missing on my iPad, and that is supposedly a huge deal. (That line was just for you Jeff. :P)
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I used to be the biggest Opera fan on the forums. I switched to Chrome shortly after it came out. I still like Opera (and have it loaded on all my main machines), but use Chrome for my day-to-day browsing needs. It's by far the snappiest browser in my experience, I love the tab isolation (it's exceedingly rare for something to cause the whole browser to crash), it has all the extensions that are important to me (including IE tabs, Jeff), and Google has been revving the feature set at a pace that keeps it fun to use.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Most of your free range pages seem to like Firefox best. Most of my customers like IE so much more than Firefox that some of their aps don't even open in Firefox. Firefox is also a huge RAM hog, full of all kinds of leaks, so if you leave a firefox window up for 24 hours you might start suffering degradation of service.

So I use FF and IE.

I haven't really used chrome. I have a number of people in office who expect me to support it. They have all kinds of problems with Chrome and Internet Security (and historically with AVG) and I tell them I didn't set it up and don't support it.

Maybe one day I'll play with it but I find FF to be my preference in spite of its myriad of bad flaws.
craterus

Post by craterus »

crap! opera! I knew i was forgetting something!

I do my best to remember to put "other" in for polls - and this is one of the reasons...
stessier

Post by stessier »

For future reference -

As of today

MS Explorer - 0
Firefox - 27
Chrome - 15
Other - 6

The Explorer one is somewhat surprising. You'd think at least one in 50 would admit to using it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I use it. I just use FireFox first. Some site like IE better. I use IE for them but FF is my default.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have a firefox plugin called IE View that adds "View this page in IE" to my rightclick menu. I only use it when a page won't display properly in FF.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I used Firefox for a while, but it had godawful memory leaks (I've had it take up over 1.5 GB of memory) as well as all kinds of crashes and bugs (like tabs that are set to remember their last location opening up to random web pages instead).

Switched to Chrome, havn't looked back. Yeah, it spawns a dozen processes, but it uses way less memory than Firefox did for me and more importantly doesn't leak a megabyte of memory every minute of use. Doesn't leak anything at all, actually; I can close down Chrome after a day of web browsing and my system will be back to ~400 MB used, instead of the ~800-900 MB after doing the same with Firefox. I have yet to have it crash, either, although I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to keep the tabs persistent (it does it when the computer crashes and restarts, but I can't find the option to do it when I close the browser down manually).
craterus

Post by craterus »

hey if an admin can edit polls (without crashing them) - please add an additional option for opera (horrible oversight on my part)

hey we can edit polls - it just resets them... sorry about my horrible oversight of leaving out opera. Feel free to vote again (sorry).

I am really enjoying some of the comments about the various browsers... thanks everyone!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Zurai wrote:although I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to keep the tabs persistent (it does it when the computer crashes and restarts, but I can't find the option to do it when I close the browser down manually).
Wrench icon ("tools") -> options -> basics tab. On Startup - select "reopen the pages that were open last".
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I use different browsers at home and at work. I use firefox at work most of the time. I use Safari when I have to check pages in Safari (otherwise I never use it because I don't like it much). I use IE on my gaming machine at home (along with Opera). I use Chrome on my wifes laptop. I figure that gets me familiar with them all so I know the quirks and if our web sites pages don't render quite right I'll know about it sooner. If I use firefox for them all then I'd probably not open the others to see how they render the site. If I had to choose one I think it would be firefox but if Google continues to develop Chrome and integrate it with my phone I may switch over to it.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Peacedog wrote:
Zurai wrote:although I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to keep the tabs persistent (it does it when the computer crashes and restarts, but I can't find the option to do it when I close the browser down manually).
Wrench icon ("tools") -> options -> basics tab. On Startup - select "reopen the pages that were open last".
Now I feel silly. Thanks for the help :)
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Zurai wrote:
Peacedog wrote:
Now I feel silly. Thanks for the help :)
When I first started using Chrome, I couldn't figure it out either. I couldn't tell you why; I went looking for it and just sucked at that, apparently.

I'm in transition, browser wise. Opera 10.x doesn't perform so hot on my Win 7 x64 box. Oh, it's still speedy, but it takes up a huge memory footprint. For the first time that I've ever noticed, it's worse than Firefox (much worse, usually 600-700megs versus 250-350 for firefox). I still use Firefox for a number of things (can't play KoL without it), but I still see it occasionally go crazy (and crawl up over a gig).

I'm using Chrome for more and more things. It will probably replace Opera, with Firefox remaining my secondary.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

stessier wrote: The Explorer one is somewhat surprising. You'd think at least one in 50 would admit to using it.
Happy now? :)
I've been using primarily IE for all of my computing life, without any problems....
Unless the horrible malware I've been plagued with on both my Vista and XP machines in recent months can be attributed to using IE. I have no idea if using another browser would have prevented those incidents.

I also have Firefox loaded on my Vista rig, but it's secondary. I only use it when I need to use one of the plug-ins for something specific.

So basically, I'm still using IE simply because I've never felt the need to switch and I'm comfortable with it, but the malware/trojans problems have got me a bit spooked (one of those took me an entire day to fix). And since I'm also comfortable with Firefox, I suppose I should probably just switch over. Would I be less prone to such nightmares if I did?

Honestly, until just a few months ago, I had never had a problem with virii/malware at all for something like 16 years.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

I've been curious about Chrome but until it has enough extensions that I can reasonably mimic my ultra-customized Firefox I'll keep holding off on trying it.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I tend to use Seamonkey for most things - it's light and quick. For pages that are more demanding or require a specific browser I use IE or Netscape.
Jag

Post by Jag »

IE, Firefox and Chrome are all on my work proxy, meaning they can track and block my sites.

For some reason Opera is not on the proxy so it is my work browser of choice. I use the others occasionally just to show some web traffic :ninja:
zeppfrog

Post by zeppfrog »

It's been awhile since this topic began, but Google was still fairly new then, and after using it for about a year now my verdict is coming in, in tons. if you have had google chrome installed and used it for any amount of time, now go to your google chrome folder, (depends on what OS you are using as to where it is installed) in my case xp, at any rate here is what i found there. Incidentally, i wouldnt have even noticed but i was trying to move the folder to see if i could make it work with a new OS install without reinstalling chrome via its slooooow install servers.
Inside the first thing i notice are two install folders, all full of uselessness cause neither would install for me into my new OS. but the real killer was the chrome folder was 940 mb. now you think, hmm, thats kind of big. so i go looking to see where is all that weight. well, it is all in how Google stores your browsing sessions, images, etc. apparently, it gets its speed from downloading and storing the entire internet, but it just isnt that fast. and it is far from that stable. call it crash o matic. My vote remains with firefox.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

zeppfrog wrote:It's been awhile since this topic began, but Google was still fairly new then, and after using it for about a year now my verdict is coming in, in tons. if you have had google chrome installed and used it for any amount of time, now go to your google chrome folder, (depends on what OS you are using as to where it is installed) in my case xp, at any rate here is what i found there. Incidentally, i wouldnt have even noticed but i was trying to move the folder to see if i could make it work with a new OS install without reinstalling chrome via its slooooow install servers.
Inside the first thing i notice are two install folders, all full of uselessness cause neither would install for me into my new OS. but the real killer was the chrome folder was 940 mb. now you think, hmm, thats kind of big. so i go looking to see where is all that weight. well, it is all in how Google stores your browsing sessions, images, etc. apparently, it gets its speed from downloading and storing the entire internet, but it just isnt that fast. and it is far from that stable. call it crash o matic. My vote remains with firefox.
Thread necro-bot???
No sig, must scream, etc.
PLW

Post by PLW »

My vote changed. Since the number of extensions available for Chrome has increased, including one that mimics No-Script, I've switched over.
stessier

Post by stessier »

My company recently switched to IE8 from IE6. Woo-hoo!!

The only thing that doesn't render correctly is the company phone list - which, for some reason, strikes me as incredibly funny every time it happens.
Vegetable Man

Post by Vegetable Man »

Chrome. A few reasons why:

1. Google is constantly updating it (and you can set it to update by itself, no need to do an install process). They've gone from version 5 or 6 at the start of the year, to now I think the betas are up to version 9. They're constantly improving the browser.

2. It's fast. Google is constantly tweaking the JavaScript rendering engine. After constantly increasing the speed all year, they just made another announcement about an improvement that doubled the speed of the JS engine again. For JS heavy sites, Chrome is definitely the fastest for me.

3. I had a bit of revelation a couple months ago when I accidentally browsed to a website written in Japanese and Chrome very subtly recognized it was written Japanese and offered to use Google Translate to translate it to English. That's when I realized Google could start taking a lot of their varying services to improve the browsing experience without having to download new software.

I love Chrome. I still like Firefox for the Firebug extension, but it's just so damn slow on a Mac.
I am but a simple caveman, your world confuses me.
bradcruz

Post by bradcruz »

According to me Mozlia Fire Fox is best Browser. Because It works with most of operating platform Mac OS X,like Linux, and Windows. This graphic browser provide a excellent selection of features. Firefox was the first to have start tabbed browsing. This browser also provide anti-phishing protection,integrated download management, live bookmarking, incremental find using the Firefox toolbar.
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Welcome to 1999. Removed sig.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

bradcruz wrote:According to me Mozlia Fire Fox is best Browser. Because It works with most of operating platform Mac OS X,like Linux, and Windows. This graphic browser provide a excellent selection of features. Firefox was the first to have start tabbed browsing. This browser also provide anti-phishing protection,integrated download management, live bookmarking, incremental find using the Firefox toolbar.
Another bot? Three posts in General Computing, all with software recommendations and one post in PC Gaming with game recommendations, all in stilted English . . . hmmm . . .
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've been using Firefox since it came out, but I think it's gotten way too bloated as it made its way to V4 beta. Right now I'm using Firebox 3.6.13, but I'm getting enough performance issues that I am thinking about going to Chrome permanently.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

I use Safari, which I'm sure surprises no one. Obviously, I mostly use Mac OS X, but if I am on Windows, I use Safari there, too. I like the WebKit rendering engine, and the way Safari integrates with Mac OS (uses the system dictionary, etc). I have Click To Flash installed, which stops the display of most ads, and has the added benefit of allowing me to use the HTML 5 tools in Safari to play videos in compatible sites such as YouTube, so most of the content I'd like to see that would be wrapped in Flash is still displayed to me through Safari's support of H.264.

I use Safari's RSS to track sites where I want to know when an update has occurred. I use Safari's Reader function to read long articles (particularly articles artificially broken into multiple pages) more easily. I also have 1Password, which generates complex, secure passwords and stores them, integrated into Safari. You can do all these things in most other browsers, but I prefer the way Safari handles them.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)