Minecraft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Minecraft

Post by GreenGoo »

Heya. Noticed 1/4 to 3 had a pretty big thread on this. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but if any brave souls want to take the plunge, feel free.

http://www.minecraft.net/" target="_blank

Here's the 1/4 to 3 thread
Daehawk

Re: Minecraft

Post by Daehawk »

I misread it as 'Mindcraft' and came in here all ready to talk about cool old games like Tegel's Mercenaries. :(
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Greyjoy

Post by Greyjoy »

Heh, the overlap between here, Qt3, and Something Awful is amazing.

This game is pretty awesome and totally worth the $13. Dwarf Fortress-esque megaconstructions (complete with ability to fall to your doom while building them, just like your hapless peons in DF) and a surprisingly fun level of exploration, both above and below the ground. And did I mention, infinite-size worlds in the current version?

Well, okay. Not infinite. But octuple the surface area of Earth, which I figure is probably sufficient for most of us. I've got a city under construction on a coastline. Nobody will live there except me unless the backward compatibility of saves is awesome, but hey.

It's still in a pretty alpha stage, though it's fairly stable right now. The creator updates it like crazy and it'll eventually double in price (beta? 'finished'? who knows), so give the demo a swing; it's basically an older version with most of the features and not-so-infinite worlds. Huge maps are still pretty huge.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Kicking around the 'classic' version in-browser. Are there other people/creatures/whatnot in the game?

Edit - I found GOOOOOLLLDDDD..... not that it seems to do me any good. Following the seam led me to a cave with mushroom-like things and some other rocks with stuff inside of them. Time to explore.
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Kelric wrote:Kicking around the 'classic' version in-browser. Are there other people/creatures/whatnot in the game?

Edit - I found GOOOOOLLLDDDD..... not that it seems to do me any good. Following the seam led me to a cave with mushroom-like things and some other rocks with stuff inside of them. Time to explore.
The single player classic version is just for exploring and building. There are no mobs or crafting. There is a multi-player mode as well, but no mobs or crafting. There is also a free test version of the survival mode. You have a health bar and 20 arrows. Arrows can be recovered, but not heath (as far as I can tell). The mobs spawn around you fairly quickly and since you can't build or destroy anything, it is imperative that you find a good defensible position.

-Hrnac
Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Well I took the plunge today. Definitely worth the money. There is going to be a Minecraft succession game starting up soon over at Qt3 which should be fun for those of use who also post there.

-Hrnac
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I fired it up in a browser tonight. Took a 5 second look around and had no idea what the game was or how to play it.

I'll look again after I read a little.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I found this page most helpful.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I bit the bullet and picked this up, and wow. What a unexpectedly fun game, even in it's current state. Toady might have some serious competition. :P And once multiplayer gets added this thing could be epic. Anyone interested in starting a succession game? I hear it's all the rage with the kids.

For anyone on the fence here's a small taste of the initial gameplay:
In my first game I started out near a small, sandy pond with some large hills all around. It's worth mentioning that the terrain generation the game has is magnificent. It's all randomly created every game, and the game is capable of generating new content as you walk, so if you just kept walking in one direction the size of the game world could eventually rise to about 10 times the size of the earth. Partly what makes the game so addictive is the randomness, and the natural features it creates. There's a real joy to exploration that's only made better with each map being completely unique and honeycombed with cave and tunnel systems to explore.

So standing in the open I looked around the area which was mostly populated by pigs, sheep, flowers, and trees. After knocking down a few trees and getting the wool off some sheep I spotted a cave that looked like it might make a good base of operations. It's worth noting at this point that caves are fairly easy to spot because the game's lighting is really well done and the caves are visible during the day as really dark holes in the mountain sides. In retrospect, it's also important to note that monsters can spawn anywhere there isn't light. :P

So I climbed down a ledge and into the small cave. It was pretty dark and seemed to go on deeper, but I picked out a nice spot near the entrance with light from the outside coming in and used some of the wood I gathered to build a work station. As I was tinkering with that and trying to figure out how to make clothes out of the wool I gathered I heard some strange sounds from the back of the cave. On cue, out came two skeleton archers who started riddling me with arrows. I hid around a corner and I thought I might be in luck when the two of them started fighting each other and one was killed, but my plan of making hit and run attacks on the last archer was cut short when he hit me with another arrow and took most of my remaining health.

I beat a hasty retreat from the skeleton and didn't stop running until I had crossed over a small pass between two large hills and came to another small valley. Of course by this point I could see the vast cube of the sun starting to get low in the sky and knew I needed to get into some cover before night set in. When night comes the land will be cloaked in darkness... the kind of darkness that spawns monsters who make life difficult for near naked newbies.

At first the crafting was a little obtuse, so I'm afraid I was forced to consult with higher forces (Minecraft Wiki) to learn how to build a few of the basics. The trick to crafting is that you have to arrange the components of an item in the rough shape of what you're making in the crafting window. It's a little cludgy, but once you get the basic idea it only takes a little trial and error to figure out the recipe for something. With my newfound knowledge in hand I set about setting up a new (and hopefully safer) base so I could build some mining equipment. Luckily I found a small cave at the base of a hill that was devoid of undead and only went a little way back into the hill before ending. I quickly crafted a new workbench and used the wood I found to make a wooden mining pick, then set off to look for surface deposits of coal that I could combine with the sticks I made from wood to make torches.

A short jog from my new home was a large cliff face with some visible coal in it that gave me all the coal I needed for a few torches. Right now torches don't quite work like you expect... that is if you hold one it doesn't give off any light. You need to place it on the ground or on a wall in order for it to provide light. So I put together a few torches, dug out my hole a bit more, and placed a few torches on the wall to light up all the corners. Just in time too as darkness began falling soon after I went outside to get a bit more wood. Since at this point I wasn't sure how to build doors and didn't really have the resources for it I simply mounded up dirt at the entrance to my cave to keep anything outside from getting in and cut a small hole with a view of the sky so I could see when it was light out again.

Now I find myself buried in a small hole dug into a hill with only a few torches and a workbench for company. Since I had plenty of time to kill until morning I started burrowing into the earth, both to begin the arduous process of looking for iron deposits underground and getting myself a supply of stone that I could use to craft much better stone tools. Morning found me with a brand new set of stone tools including a stone pick, an axe, a hoe, and a beautiful stone sword.

In the night my mining tunnel had progressed steadily deeper, but I was starting to hear many strange, disconcerting noises through the stone. Surely I was imagining things, but I swore I heard the moan of a zombie down there...
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

GreenGoo wrote:I fired it up in a browser tonight. Took a 5 second look around and had no idea what the game was or how to play it.

I'll look again after I read a little.
Think of the game as playing the movie "I am Legend". You explore during the day and run for cover during the night. Once you get better resources you can venture out at night to hunt mobs, but it is still risky.

-Hrnac
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hrnac wrote:Think of the game as playing the movie "I am Legend". You explore during the day and run for cover during the night. Once you get better resources you can venture out at night to hunt mobs, but it is still risky.

-Hrnac
Huh. My browser version had me holding a cube of something, in a very cubic (poorly resolved) world with what looked like a mini-menu of 8 different cubes along the bottom.

I guess I need to pay more attention, or something.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

GreenGoo wrote:
Hrnac wrote:Think of the game as playing the movie "I am Legend". You explore during the day and run for cover during the night. Once you get better resources you can venture out at night to hunt mobs, but it is still risky.

-Hrnac
Huh. My browser version had me holding a cube of something, in a very cubic (poorly resolved) world with what looked like a mini-menu of 8 different cubes along the bottom.

I guess I need to pay more attention, or something.
that link Lorini posted is a pretty good summary of what to expect. I'd say one of the biggest weaknesses of the game thus far is there's no way (at least that I know of) to see what an item is in game. Once you get a feel for what those objects actually are it start to make much more sense.

The blocky graphics are intentional though. I find I rather like the combination of high resolution with blocky models and small textures. And despite all that I've seen some pretty stunning vistas in game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No, I mean I'm literally holding a cube. And the menu along the bottom are all cubes as well. They sort of look like different terrain types. Kinda. Like a block of land. I say that because in the world view, the terrain appears to be made of blocks. Like lego, except in cubes instead of rectangular shapes, with some doom II looking trees growing out of them.
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

GreenGoo wrote:No, I mean I'm literally holding a cube. And the menu along the bottom are all cubes as well. They sort of look like different terrain types. Kinda. Like a block of land. I say that because in the world view, the terrain appears to be made of blocks. Like lego, except in cubes instead of rectangular shapes, with some doom II looking trees growing out of them.
Those are the different materials. They can be earth, stone, sand, gravel, etc. If you are playing the free version, you only have the ability to build. To build something select one of the block types in the bottom row and then target a square and right click. You can also destroy the terrain by clicking on a given block as well.

The crafting and survival stuff are in the Alpha version which requires one to purchase it, but there is a link to a free survival test version which doesn't allow any building or terrain destruction, but does allow one to fight the various mobs. You start with a bow and 20 arrows. The Tab key shoots the arrows and they can be retrieved if one misses and also gathered from dead skeleton archers.

-Hrnac
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

There was a small update yesterday. Snowballs were added and some other various fixes.

-Hrnac
Koz

Post by Koz »

GreenGoo wrote:No, I mean I'm literally holding a cube. And the menu along the bottom are all cubes as well. They sort of look like different terrain types. Kinda. Like a block of land. I say that because in the world view, the terrain appears to be made of blocks. Like lego, except in cubes instead of rectangular shapes, with some doom II looking trees growing out of them.
Right-click to place the cube on the ground. Left-click to destroy it (or any other cube of land). For the browser version that's pretty much it.
Varity

Post by Varity »

Koz wrote:
Right-click to place the cube on the ground. Left-click to destroy it (or any other cube of land). For the browser version that's pretty much it.
There's also a free survival mode:

See here:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Survival
and here:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Gameplay
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

So has anyone else here picked this up? Anyone up for an OO succession game?

Basically anyone who's interested can sign up. When it's your turn the last person sends you the save file, you play as much or as little as you want with it for 2 real life days, and then send it along to the next person on the list.
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Sign me up for an OO succession game.

-Hrnac
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

What would an OO succession game be? This has my interest piqued.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Decided to try it as looked fun survival game, but in my game i have no tools. Nothing in my inventory, shouldnt i have wood plans or pick axe or something? i cant cut down a tree or anything else, just punch sheep.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote:What would an OO succession game be? This has my interest piqued.
Since there's at least some interest I'll probably start a new thread and kick off a game tomorrow and after two real life days (so probably Saturday night) I'll pass the save game on to the next person on the list and so on.

Early on the goal would be basic survival, finding a good place to start building, gathering resources, etc. From there it's whatever anyone wants to contribute during their time. Expand or build a house, tower, castle, explore, gather resources, build a farm. If we feel like starting a mega project down the line that's something we could discuss. It's basically a common area where each person does whatever he feels like to make his mark on it.

Screenshots and movies of what you build are encouraged.

There's a Qt3 game started up if you want to see it in action:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... hp?t=60296" target="_blank

Also if anyone is curious about what actual gameplay looks like this link usually has a live stream going of someone playing Minecraft:
http://brocraft.net/minecraft.html" target="_blank
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Also it doesn't seem to allow me to chose the specifications for the map, it just give choice, creat world and i kind of jump in, without choice of size difficulty , etc. Also i cant seem to brake anything with my hands. Also it doesnt allow me to generate map , it just say create a world. i am confused
I also dont start in a house, in few recording i have seen, they start in the house.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Matrix wrote:Also it doesn't seem to allow me to chose the specifications for the map, it just give choice, creat world and i kind of jump in, without choice of size difficulty , etc. Also i cant seem to brake anything with my hands. Also it doesnt allow me to generate map , it just say create a world. i am confused
I also dont start in a house, in few recording i have seen, they start in the house.
If you purchased it and are playing Minecraft alpha I'd really recommend reading that link Lorini posted above. The game is still in alpha, so a lot of features and documentation are still missing, but once you get a basic idea of what's going on it gets more interesting.

Whenever you create a new world it's actually generating an entirely new random map, and as you walk around in game in generates new content whenever it needs to.

The older Minecraft Classic started you in a house as I understand it, but in the new version you start with nothing.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

thanks, i actually figured out main problem, it was the lack of pressing the button. I was doing single clicks for each action, while i had to hold the button down instead. Silly me. I figured it out right before night, so now i am walled into one square fully in the dark. lol going to be a long night. I got really nice scenery by the lake.

Cant find coal, well time to go to work hoping that, once i am back i can find some coal. Found some iron, but no coal= no light. A lot of sheep in my area, almost a sheep farm, got all my armor before the first night.
Hoping find some coal soon. I am building house in the rock, though havent run into any caves, so i am pretty safe, kinda, though since they can spawn anywhere where its dark, it could be in my cave.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I will be following this very closely until I figure out if it's something I could get into or not. I'm definitely looking around for something to play, as evidenced by my picking up my ancient copy of dwarf fortress. And this succession thing sounds like fun.

The flip side is I'm a cheap bastard so it would have to be really interesting to get me to spend the bucks.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

I have been playing it a bit today, well worth 13$. Even in this stage its really fun. I have built myself a green house farm in the middle of the lake with glass all around the fields to prevent sheep and pigs to walk on it, plus the only way to access it is through under water passage with torches all around it. Could be safe house in the worst case scenario. I haven't gone deep into tunnels yet, and hence, i only seen a small bit of iron ore, made myself a sword just in case i run into baddies, that's pretty much my whole extent of iron ore findings. My cave is now has a front porch with glass surrounding, that gives me a good view if any mobs are coming at night and great view during the day. So far i have been pretty lucky and yet to run into mobs, though i have a suspicion that with iron sword i should be at least ok for a quick fight. I have been digging in the back of my cave, but it seems i picked a wrong mountain, as i gone pretty far down and yet to see anything useful aside from some coal i found early on. Coal has been plentiful, hence a lot glass production. My next project will be forest planting, at yet to be determined location. I got 30 seedlings and not afraid to use them.

It seems more then enough features to play around with, though i would like to see more use for bread. At the moment meat is just way easier way to get health, i am farming for fun, but time efficiency meat is hands down easier to get in the amount that's needed for surviving, unless i am waging a war on the whole mob population, health is not an issue. Maybe different uses for wheat will come along, or it will affect differently. Also shovel tool seem to be pretty useless as i even by hand digging earth is pretty fast, and shovel just adds a little of speed. Wood seem to be overabundant, maybe more uses it for it, and make it more scarce. Right now i can cut 1 tree and it will last me at least few days and nights.

No major gripes, i like graphic, dynamic is great, and over all great project. It seems guy is making good money with this project, and therefore working full speed ahead, i am looking forward to more updates, i looked at his blog and the updates are coming fast and furious.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Awesome. The new version up today changes it so animals only spawn on grass (to fix the pig in cave problem) and apparently you can make boats now!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Man, I missed the client release, since I hadn't checked back in a while! I think Minecraft is shaping up to be a real contender in the time-waster/dwarf fortress replacer category!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I look at the screenshots and the little I saw when I loaded it up in a browser and I just can't reconcile that with what you guys are describing.

It looked like a tech demo from 1985 with no game to be seen anywhere. Eventually I'll take another look. Probably. Maybe.
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

GreenGoo wrote:I look at the screenshots and the little I saw when I loaded it up in a browser and I just can't reconcile that with what you guys are describing.

It looked like a tech demo from 1985 with no game to be seen anywhere. Eventually I'll take another look. Probably. Maybe.
The Minecraft is not strong with the Goo. :(

-Hrnac
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I just don't get "it" yet, that's all.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I purchased this as a filler game for my laptop (which is admittedly old) but it says it can't run due to an OpenGL problem. I don't mind supporting the game even if this will really cut back on my play time.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Sepiche wrote:Awesome. The new version up today changes it so animals only spawn on grass (to fix the pig in cave problem) and apparently you can make boats now!
I kind of like the pigs and sheep in caves. I have a nice little fortress with a ton of trees right outside that I keep sealed up most of the time. The critters are nice to have corralled up in there. He hasn't written in cube critter poop yet! Maybe I can burn it in the furnace like peat? I should email him about that. :)
There is no hug button. Sad!
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Played the classic game for a bit... And by bit I mean an hour or two... Buiilt a 3 story building with a bridge that went from one end of the island to the other where I was going to build another 3 story building.

It was at this point I decided I was better off not playing anymore before I got picky about the design of things and redid it all from scratch.
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Lee

Post by Lee »

So the classic browser game isn't a full demonstration of the real game? Doesn't seem to be any inventory and you can just build as you see fit.

Edit: Wow his Twitter says 30,000 copies sold!
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Koz

Post by Koz »

No, the classic is just exploration plus building with blocks. The paid version has crafting and lot more updates to the game world as well as monsters that try and kill you (adding a sort of challenge to it).
Lee

Post by Lee »

Koz wrote:No, the classic is just exploration plus building with blocks. The paid version has crafting and lot more updates to the game world as well as monsters that try and kill you (adding a sort of challenge to it).
Thanks. Was just reading the Qt3 thread, I think I may buy this. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I would say he needs a demo because the browser game doesn't really give you an idea, but with it selling so well already, I guess he doesn't need one.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

GreenGoo wrote:I just don't get "it" yet, that's all.
Well it did take you four years to get into Dwarf Fortress. ;)
Lee

Post by Lee »

Boughten. Built a little shelter once dark came around, now trying to figure out how to build stuff. Haven't seen any badies, just sheep and pigs.

Strangely addicting.