OFFICIAL OO STARCRAFT II RELEASE THREAD OMG

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Chaz

OFFICIAL OO STARCRAFT II RELEASE THREAD OMG

Post by Chaz »

Great big thread for Starcraft II (because we didn't have one). Actual impressions start on page 3.

OO Battle.net friends list.
Gaming Trend's equivalent.

For those like me who are total noobs to Starcraft MP, two good videos by Day[9] going over some basics of MP technique:

Back to basics.
Plugging leaks in silver-level play.
The complete list of Day[9] Daily videos. Generally, these are replays of very high-level play, but the guy commentating on them is very entertaining, knowledgeable, and generally explains why something that happened was good or bad. While I know I'll never play at that level, watching with commentary is incredibly educational.

Original post:
I swear there was one. Am I blind?
Last edited by Chaz on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
MonkeyFinger

Re: Where'd the Starcraft II thread go to?

Post by MonkeyFinger »

-mf
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I can't believe that GT would have an SC2 thread and OO (ie: PC Central) doesn't.

Also, I thought there was a link in it to a Youtube video where someone cut together the SC1 storyline using cinematics, mission briefings, and in-game stuff.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There's one here. I actually thought the link above was to ours, until your last post.

I'll look around in a bit, see if I can find it.

Edit: Here ya go.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

But we need one for the release. Particularly since the campaign was not in the beta.
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I swear there was a more recent one.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nope. Time is just flying by. I too thought it was odd we didn't have a SC2 thread pegged at the top of this forum, but I've also heard...not good things about SC2 so maybe that's why.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Well, beta threads evolving into release threads was a topic much discussed when the not released forum went away.

I don't believe there is any specific etiquette with regard to threads like that. Keep posting in that one or create a new one for the release. Each has its benefits and drawbacks. I don't think there is an official policy.

Like I said in the other thread, I'll pick this up when it's discounted (as much as blizzard's stuff gets discounted). I'm interested, but not day 1 interested. There were better RTS's around when Starcraft came out. (mostly) More of the same hasn't really grabbed my attention.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I caved to the hype. I just sold a bunch of DVDs and got $50 in a birthday card, so I pre-ordered the CE for in-store pickup at Best Buy. I am very dumb.

I guess I should just rename this the SC2 release thread.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sounds good to me. For whatever reason, people here haven't been hugely excited, so the ones that are, are probably doing their talking at some other more focused SC2 site.

Forum effect will probably kick in after release and there will be more discussion.

But yeah, OO has been strangely quiet on SC2.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Too quiet.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Chaz

Re: OFFICIAL OO STARCRAFT II RELEASE THREAD OMG

Post by Chaz »

I'm not even all that interested in Starcraft, and I'm only getting it because I have some mad money in my pocket and am a sucker for Blizzard CEs. How did I wind up the OP on the SC2 thread?

This means that tonight I need to call Blizz and get my account back. My WoW account was hijacked months ago, and I haven't had a need for it til now. Hopefully that's not a painful process.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From what I've read, no it's not. But definitely get the autheticator.

Of course waiting until 3 days before one of the most highly anticipated RTS sequels is released is not working in your favor. ;)
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, once I get it back, I'm definitely setting up the iphone authenticator app. Eh, if I don't get it back by Tuesday, I'll live.
tgb

Post by tgb »

They're doing Starcraft II? I hadn't heard.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Sorry, but once you've played a couple dozen RTS games they all seem the same. I would've been a bit excited about this release 10 years ago but now the whole RTS genre just makes me think "Been there, done that"...
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

GreenGoo wrote:There's one here. I actually thought the link above was to ours, until your last post.

I'll look around in a bit, see if I can find it.

Edit: Here ya go.
I linked to the GT post as I too could not find any mention here... and now I see why. I was searching for "starcraft" as one word, never thought to make it two words to see what turned up.

I'm in much the same boat as Apollo, having burned out on RTS games many moons ago. Every now and then I buy another one and end up regretting it... almost pulled the trigger on SC2 as it looks really good and the TV commercials were swaying me but then I came to my senses. :wink:
-mf
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tgb wrote:They're doing Starcraft II? I hadn't heard.
I heard. I don't care, but I heard.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apollo wrote:Sorry, but once you've played a couple dozen RTS games they all seem the same. I would've been a bit excited about this release 10 years ago but now the whole RTS genre just makes me think "Been there, done that"...
I'm usually the same, with the exception of RTS games by Relic (Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40k) who bring something new or compelling to the table every time they do one.

But if there's a company who can equal that ability, it would be Blizzard. I have some Best Buy gift cards and reward zone coupons, so I may bite.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, my interest in fast spammy RTS games has long passed, but I have to acknowledge the greatness that is Blizzard. Hell, I played through the new Command and Conquer game mostly to see the CGI movies in between missions. :)

I am rather surprised that it's being sold at full price everywhere. Even my go-to vendor (Amazon) hasn't dropped the price a single $1, which is odd since they're usually good for $5-10 off. I guess they know it's going to sell a billion copies.

I'm interested...just not release day / full price interested.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I played in the Beta and its pretty much everything I dislike about a multiplayer real time strategy game. That said I fully expect to enjoy the single player campaign. DoWII will remain my go-to multiplayer RTS.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Lordnine wrote:That said I fully expect to enjoy the single player campaign.
Yeah, I'm hoping for a good story with the single player part. Multiplayer doesn't hold that much interest for me.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Debris

Post by Debris »

Even though I'm dying for something new to play right now, I'm giving this one a pass. I'm not a big fan of RTS, although I do play them once in a while, and this seems like the same old, same old from Blizzard.

It's almost as if they keep releasing the same games over and over again... :ninja:
ScubaV

Post by ScubaV »

An article and video on SC2 single-player for the uninformed:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010 ... raft-2.ars" target="_blank
" target="_blank
You are a noob. I pwn noobs.
naednek

Post by naednek »

ScubaV wrote:An article and video on SC2 single-player for the uninformed:

" target="_blank
wow, can't wait for single player!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Apollo wrote:Sorry, but once you've played a couple dozen RTS games they all seem the same. I would've been a bit excited about this release 10 years ago but now the whole RTS genre just makes me think "Been there, done that"...
My feelings exactly.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

naednek wrote:

" target="_blank
The video is part of the Beginner's Guide at the official site.
-mf
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

naednek wrote:

" target="_blank
Hate to say it but same here. I can get through about 3 missions on RTS games and then it all blends into one.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

I recall in the original that you could not pause and give orders (ala Company of Heroes). Has this changed with this new one?
naednek

Post by naednek »

Tampa_Gamer wrote:I recall in the original that you could not pause and give orders (ala Company of Heroes). Has this changed with this new one?

doubt it. after all it is a Real Time Strategy Game, not Semi-Real Time Strategy Game :P
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Hooray, got my bnet account back. It was fairly painless. Tried calling throughout last night, but for four hours, the automated thing said their hold queue was full and to try later. They opened up at 10am EST today, so I called about fifteen minutes after that, and the wait time was still about 45 minutes. Yow.

The guy was cheerful for it being 7am PST. Got my name, email, and secret question answer, and that was all the info I was asked for. He said that the authenticator that was on there after teh haxoring had been removed, so he sent me the password reset email. I spent a while on hold while I escalated and waited for an answer back from the un-banning people, and said since it was taking so long (due to the breach happening several months ago?), he'd email me when they got back to him.

A few hours later, I hadn't heard back, but did the password reset and added an authenticator. Now I seem to have my account back and it shows my WoW account as frozen. I guess that's good? Would the status show as banned? Either way, I will now be able to play SC2 on Tuesday. Woo.

Of course, there's a good chance I'll be too tired to play. Crunch time at work is no fun. :(
Odin

Post by Odin »

Meh. I remember enjoying the original Starcraft, but not enough to get any of the expansions and I'm long past the point where Blizzard RTS games interest me. Particularly after Warcraft 3, which I never even came close to finishing.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm going to a midnight opening myself. I might even go to the Fry's one, but that Fry's is not known for a ton of parking and I'm too old to be waiting for hours.

I really enjoy RTS's and I had a good time in the beta. I like Dawn of War for the factions, SupCom for the tactics and Starcraft II for the interaction between the races. I'm very excited about Starcraft II!
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'd go to a midnight opening only because I'm at work during the entire time the Best Buy my copy's preordered at is open, except they're not having one, and I likely won't be able to get a CE at the Gamestop near me that is open at midnight. I'd only be going to avoid having to take a long lunch to get it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Anybody else doing Blizzard's digital download option? They let you pre-load so on release day all you have to do is launch the installer and pay/activate. I figured I'd go that route and save myself a trip to the store after work, especially since I don't ever see myself re-selling or trading the game. Just crossing my fingers the activation servers don't crash and burn.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I am still conflicted. I play SC single player exclusively and I don't want to pay $180 for a complete game.

I suppose I could wait 2 years until the "Complete Pack" gets released.
There is no hug button. Sad!
naednek

Post by naednek »

killbot737 wrote:I am still conflicted. I play SC single player exclusively and I don't want to pay $180 for a complete game.

I suppose I could wait 2 years until the "Complete Pack" gets released.
I'm not conflicted because each release equals what is considered to be a full game. People have the misconception that it's going to be mini packs that adds up to a full game. As that's been said many times before, that's not the case.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Have they said how many missions are in this first release?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Preordered because Blizzard makes great games. Hate that you can't give orders while paused though. That means I will play until gets too hard. About 6 missions.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
naednek

Post by naednek »

From the FAQ
http://us.starcraft2.com/faq.xml" target="_blank
How long is each of the campaigns?

StarCraft II's terran campaign will consist of approximately 26 to 30 missions, and each expansion set will include a similar number of missions. This means that the complete StarCraft II Trilogy will include as many as 90 single-player missions. This allows us to create a truly epic story experience with a great variety of unique missions and gameplay types.
Seems more is being offered than other RTS games out there. And you'll know that each mission will be balanced and basically near perfect just from their history.