New Egyptian Unrest: Tunisia Part II?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: New Egyptian Unrest: Tunisia Part II?

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote:When the dust settles, I wouldn't be surprised to see Obama planning a visit for a sequel to his 2009 Cairo address to the Muslim world. Play that card right, and this could be a decent new beginning for U.S. interests in the region.
Dude, it will just be another misstep as he continues to fuck up of the ENTIRE world. He's the father of all lies!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Mubarak holding a press conference today (in a few hours?), this after the armed forces made a statement that they would defend the will of the people of Egypt.

He may be resigning.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's sounding an awful lot like the military plans to take power, at least temporarily:
Gen. Hassan al-Roueini, military commander for the Cairo area, also appeared in Tahrir Square and told the demonstrators, “All your demands will be met today.” Some in the crowd held up their hands in V-for-victory signs, shouting “the people want the end of the regime” and “Allahu akbar,” or “God is great,” a victory cry used by secular and religious people alike.

The moves marked a decisive turn in an uprising that has brought hundreds of thousands into the streets in the most sweeping revolt in the country’s history. So far, the military has stayed largely on the sidelines, but Thursday’s statement suggested it worried that the country was sliding into chaos. The military called the communiqué on state TV “the first statement of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces,” strongly suggestive that it had arranged to take power in Egypt.

The statement, read by a spokesman, said that the council was in permanent session to explore “what measures and arrangements could be made to safeguard the nation, its achievements and the ambitions of its great people.”

Wael Ghonim, a Google executive and protest organizer whose anti-torture Facebook page helped spark the movement, wrote on his Twitter feed Thursday evening: “Mission accomplished. Thanks to all the brave young Egyptians.”
From the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/11/world ... pt.html?hp" target="_blank. Boldening mine.

Interesting. Would force Mubarak from power (though his VP, who has a military background, could stay on). Creates the possiblity of a democratic transition....but once militaries take power, they tend to be reluctant to give it away.

I dunno. From this it sounds like the most likely possibility is a change in faces but not of substance - a new military government.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

NPR (at least my station) has the BBC live in Cairo. Apparently he's already 30 minutes late.

Suleiman is the VP who was just recently given the job, coming straight from the armed forces.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Still waiting on Mubarak.

http://twitter.com/search/#reasonsmubarakislate
Changing Facebook relationship status to "It's Complicated."

Still working on enunciation with Geoffrey Rush.

waiting for Chris Matthews to stop talking

Still loading gold into the Maybach.

Meeting the cast of 'Jersey Shore.'
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He's on the mic now.

Wishy washy so far, not committing to resign, calling for accountability, just called himself "The President of the Republic..."

Might not resign.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just committed to step down if not elected in September.

Uh oh.

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Yeah, definitely not sounding like he's stepping down.
Just committed to step down if not elected in September.
I thought he said that he was committed to not running in September. Might be a case of an unclear translation (I'm watching Al Jazeera English).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Have a ticker open in another window, DOW jumped down ~30 points when he said that.

Anyway, this is the same thing he said before this all started. I don't think it is going to work.

He's promising inquiries into the deaths of protestors, etc. The usual BS.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

AWS260 wrote: I thought he said that he was committed to not running in September. Might be a case of an unclear translation (I'm watching Al Jazeera English).
BBC translation here and possibly my paraphrasing. Either way, it's what he was promising earlier.

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Al Jazeera is simultaneously showing the crowd chanting in Tahrir Square. They've clearly stopped listening to him.

Summary from the NYT live blog:
Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak just said in a televised address to his nation that he intends to remain in office until a new president is elected in September.

When he promised to oversee a peaceful transition of power until September, crowds of protesters erupted in unhappiness if Cairo's Tahrir Square. As he continued to speak, the protesters in Tahrir Square broke into loud chants of: "Leave! Leave! Leave!"

Mr. Mubarak, who said that he would not "listen to diktats coming from abroad," also refused to immediately lift the emergency law that has been in continuous effect since 1981, promising only to clear the way for ending the state of emergency once stability and security is restored.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bloomberg
Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak will hand over authority to Vice-President Omar Suleiman and announce five constitutional amendments, according to Dubai- based Al Arabiya TV.
The handover to the vice president will be in line with the constitution, according to Mubarak, Al Arabiya reported. He will confirm that he won't run for a second term and that he will pave the way for holding clean elections, Al Arabiya said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:Bloomberg
Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak will hand over authority to Vice-President Omar Suleiman and announce five constitutional amendments, according to Dubai- based Al Arabiya TV.
The handover to the vice president will be in line with the constitution, according to Mubarak, Al Arabiya reported. He will confirm that he won't run for a second term and that he will pave the way for holding clean elections, Al Arabiya said.
According to a story time stamped before his speech.
Bloomberg wrote:By Nayla Razzouk - Feb 10, 2011 2:30 PM CT

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, NY Times has the "breaking news" that he's "clinging to office" and that the crowds are "furious." He's almost taunting them now - I can't see him lasting for six months unless the military strongly backs him, and it doesn't seem like they're inclined to do that.

I wonder what happens with the military's semi-veiled promises / threats, though.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: He's almost taunting them now - I can't see him lasting for six months unless the military strongly backs him, and it doesn't seem like they're inclined to do that.
His speech was totally condescending. "I know what it was like to be a crazy youth..."

I watched the American Experience on Nixon over the weekend. While it's a much different situation, Mubarak's apparent ignorance of reality is similar.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm just confused - why give this speech if it doesn't seem like anything of substance is changing? Sounds like he just got people's hopes up and then basically spit in their eyes. That's just going to strengthen their resolve.
Black Lives Matter.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Someone rescue the major historical monuments, because these people are about to go ape shit like never before.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote:I'm just confused - why give this speech if it doesn't seem like anything of substance is changing? Sounds like he just got people's hopes up and then basically spit in their eyes. That's just going to strengthen their resolve.
He made some very small concessions and tried to drop some additional bones ("we will set up an inquiry into kilings", "there will be a commission to review the constitution"). He may really be that out of touch and thought he could talk everyone down. He did use a lot of nationalist and historical imagery. He even likened himself to the father of Egypt.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Arcanis wrote:Someone rescue the major historical monuments, because these people are about to go ape shit like never before.
Some in the crowd at Tahrir Square warned that turning over power to Suleiman would not appease demonstrators, unless the vice president promised to step down after elections are held. "If he takes over, that will be a big issue," said lawyer Marwan Alashaal, 32. "This city is going to be swimming in blood."

If Mubarak did not step down, Alashaal added, demonstrators would march toward the presidential palace Friday. "We will destroy it completely and clash with the presidential forces," he said.
You're not kidding.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enlarge Image

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Arcanis wrote:Someone rescue the major historical monuments, because these people are about to go ape shit like never before.
Quick, call Carmen Sandiego!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I almost wonder if he's hoping to spark massive riots that would justify a massive crackdown.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm pretty sure if he opens fire on the Egyptian citizens there, our CIA sleepers and embedded special forces are going to unleash trouble. Unlike Saddam's attack against the Kurds in 1988, today the world is watching in real time.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm pretty sure if he opens fire on the Egyptian citizens there, our CIA sleepers and embedded special forces are going to unleash trouble. Unlike Saddam's attack against the Kurds in 1988, today the world is watching in real time.
Saudi Arabia, UAE, Jordan and the rest of our Middle East allies are watching too. They are likely relieved with Mubarak's decision today.

This one has to be all on the Egyptians.

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

74-year-old man to young people: "Get off my lawn."
Egypt's vice president, Omar Suleiman, speaking on state television minutes ago, called on protesters to end their demonstrations and stop listening to foreign media reports on the unrest in the country. "Young people of Egypt and its heroes, go back home and to work," he said.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I heard that last bit about "stop listening to satellite tv" while driving in the car. My first thought was - oh sure, that'll work.

This is not going to end well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fuckin' media. Root of all woe.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

There are apparently more, but inconsistent, signals that Mubarak is leaving:
CAIRO —The Egyptian military appeared to assert its leadership Friday amid growing indications that President Hosni Mubarak was yielding all power. A Western official said that Mr. Mubarak had left the capital, though that could not be independently confirmed.

The Associated Press, citing a local official, said that Mr. Mubarak had flown to the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheik, about 250 miles from Cairo, where he maintains a residence.

Angry protesters, who had swarmed by the thousands into the streets here Friday morning, were hardly mollified by the news of Mr. Mubarak’s exit and an accompanying statement by the Supreme Council of the Egyptian Armed Forces over state television and radio indicating that the military, not Mr. Mubarak, was in effective control of the country. They said they would not believe he was gone until he had formally relinquished his title as president, and until his handpicked successor, Vice President Omar Suleiman, had been ousted as well.

It was unclear whether the military would take meaningful steps toward democracy or embark on a new military dictatorship. Many protesters were calling for the ouster of Mr. Mubarak’s Western diplomats said that officials of the Egyptian government were scrambling to assure that a muddled speech Mr. Mubarak made on Thursday night that enraged protesters had in fact signaled his irrevocable hand over of presidential authority.

“The government of Egypt says absolutely, it is done, it is over,” a Western diplomat said, suggesting that the Egyptian military and government officials had expected Mr. Mubarak to make his exit clear last night, but that the president failed to deliver those lines. “That is not what anybody heard.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/12/world ... ml?_r=1&hp" target="_blank

He hasn't actually stepped down, however. It sounds like the military is pushing him out, but that he's pridefully attempting to cling to what he can.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wasn't sure if this has been brought up, but I wonder if there's reasonable doubt as to the majority wanting his ouster. From all I've read, he's been holding onto power in a way that screams "dictator", but I have to wonder if what we're seeing is just the vocal protestors. Filling a square with thousands of people looks impressive, and to someone from abroad watching it unfold in the media, certainly appears to be a majority of the population. But in a country with a population of around 80 million, even 80 thousand isn't an overwhelming majority.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

No, there's really no reasonable doubt on that. You can see this in part from the total lack of pro-Mubarak action on the streets (aside from the violence of a week or so ago, and there's pretty good evidence that that was thugs paid by the regime). It's not *impossible* that there are tens of millions of pro-Mubarak supporters sitting at home...but that doesn't seem at all likely.

Also - it's all but impossible to be a dictator for more than 5, 10 years and have majority support from the population. Since the job description is essentially repression, violence, and corruption, that tends not to translate into being the life of the party.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Wasn't sure if this has been brought up, but I wonder if there's reasonable doubt as to the majority wanting his ouster. From all I've read, he's been holding onto power in a way that screams "dictator", but I have to wonder if what we're seeing is just the vocal protestors. Filling a square with thousands of people looks impressive, and to someone from abroad watching it unfold in the media, certainly appears to be a majority of the population. But in a country with a population of around 80 million, even 80 thousand isn't an overwhelming majority.

There also have been nationwide strikes in addition to smaller protests in other cities so I think there's alot of support for his ouster. 30 years of rule by brutal secret police probably has kept folks at home out of fear but still hoping for Mubarak's ouster.

Of course if Egypt decends into anarchy after Mubarak leaves, I'm sure there's going to be a segment of folks wishing for the "good ole bad old days".
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Odin

Post by Odin »

Annnnd.... he's gone.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Odin wrote:Annnnd.... he's gone.
The Article wrote:Suleiman said the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces will "run the affairs of the country."
Tens of thousands of anti-government protesters exploded in cheers on the streets of Cairo after the announcement.

"Egypt is Free!" they chanted.
"The Military is in charge" and "Egypt is free" do not seem to be statements that reconcile.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

coopasonic wrote:"The Military is in charge" and "Egypt is free" do not seem to be statements that reconcile.
They don't seem to, no. Whether they end up doing so will depend entirely on how the military proceeds. Up until this point (and I'm referring specifically to the recent period of civil unrest, not the last 30 years), they seem to me (from my chair here in NY) like they (the Egyptian military) have been behaving pretty respectably for a force that's been working under a dictatorship for longer than most of its members have been alive.
Enough

Post by Enough »

I started this thread on Jan. 25th and he is already gone. This has been really amazing to watch.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
tgb

Post by tgb »

Turning control of a country over to the military rarely, if ever, ends well.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

tgb wrote:Turning control of a country over to the military rarely, if ever, ends well.
We fund them and train them. Now the US might have a say in this.

Just catching up, I was in a meeting. Still paralleling Nixon in a weird, alternative universe kind of way.

MYT
Enough

Post by Enough »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
tgb wrote:Turning control of a country over to the military rarely, if ever, ends well.

Just catching up, I was in a meeting. Still paralleling Nixon in a weird, alternative universe kind of way.
LB is not a crook.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Odin

Post by Odin »

Certainly can't argue with that. I'm still holding out hope that Egypt can end up with a populist government, though I suppose the chances of a mid-east populist government that ISN'T radically Islamic and hostile to the US would probably be too much to ask.

While I'm hoping for stuff, I might as well tack on the desire to see this unrest spill over into Libya and knock old Uncle Moammar out of power as well.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I'm surprised how fast everything unfolded....
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.