Where do I put stamp on a postcard?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dedewhale

Where do I put stamp on a postcard?

Post by dedewhale »

I have not sent a postcard in years. Where do I put the stamp? Front, back? I am guessing the back in the upper right corner, right?
Jeff V

Re: Where do I put stamp on a postcard?

Post by Jeff V »

On the side that you write on? Possibly over the square that might say something like "postage required"?

I haven't sent or received one in decades, but I know I've never seen them addressed and post marked on the picture side. The picture on the card is usually of some significance.
Black Lives Matter
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

OK, thanks. this one had some upc bar code in the upper right corner and writing on the left side so I got confused...there was not empty box which I thought they usually had.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Top right corner on the address side.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Write on the left, address and post mark on the right. It's been over twenty years since I sent or received a postcard. I really should 1) take a vacation and 2) get the physical addresses of people. Post carding was great fun. And they gave you an excuse to sit down and take stock of your day/time over coffee or before bed and encouraged you remember the time you were having.

Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you
Email was bad enough to kill the letter, add texting and we lose more and more the long term us all of the time.

Makes me also wonder how much people go back and review and make albums with all of their digital photos and their camera phones and such.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote:Makes me also wonder how much people go back and review and make albums with all of their digital photos and their camera phones and such.
My wife bugs me to print pictures for her scrapbooking regularly. We don't make albums anymore,we make scrapbooks. Postcards go in there too.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:Write on the left, address and post mark on the right. It's been over twenty years since I sent or received a postcard. I really should 1) take a vacation and 2) get the physical addresses of people. Post carding was great fun. And they gave you an excuse to sit down and take stock of your day/time over coffee or before bed and encouraged you remember the time you were having.
Except now you can take a more personal photo with your camera phone and instantly post it to Facebook to share with all of your friends, updating your status with details about the good time you are having RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND!!!!!11!! Then you don't have to wait until you're hungover and trying to recollect what it was you did or saw; much less why you thought it was a good idea to send a picture of a monkey wearing a hat to someone on the other side of the world.

Post cards are inefficient and obsolete.
Makes me also wonder how much people go back and review and make albums with all of their digital photos and their camera phones and such.
I never collected pictures before I bought my first digital camera, so I'd say more than I would otherwise. When my girlfriend is bummed about me not being there, she pours over the thousands of pictures taken during my previous visits as well as the pictures I've accumulated in other adventures (I left her with copies of all my digital photography).
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:Except now you can take a more personal photo with your camera phone and instantly post it to Facebook to share with all of your friends, updating your status with details about the good time you are having RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND!!!!!11!! Then you don't have to wait until you're hungover and trying to recollect what it was you did or saw; much less why you thought it was a good idea to send a picture of a monkey wearing a hat to someone on the other side of the world.

Post cards are inefficient and obsolete.
And how much deliberation do you put in to Facebook and how much lasting personality do your facebook friends take out of it? It might be my lack of skills but I can remember postcards twenty or twenty five years ago. I couldn't tell you a facebook nor even an OO post (which is oddly enough more intimate and personal the FB for me. FB is simply more local for lack of a better term) from two years ago.

But to each their own. I miss the craft of letter and post card writing and I lament that the excuse for it is gone. I'm much to young to be this fucking old.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Added post cards to list of things jeffv hates/dislikes/has no use for.

I was surprised to note his advocacy of facebook as I thought he railed against social sites a while back. unfortunately it's either not on the list or was removed at some point.

edit: ah, never mind. there's an update on his stance on facebook in the list dated 5/14/10.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote:Added post cards to list of things jeffv hates/dislikes/has no use for.

I was surprised to note his advocacy of facebook as I thought he railed against social sites a while back. unfortunately it's either not on the list or was removed at some point.

edit: ah, never mind. there's an update on his stance on facebook in the list dated 5/14/10.
So you know a lot of people who still use post cards? At least two of us here have not seen nor used them in decades. I don't know anyone who still does. They were only useful in the past for mocking people "hah, hah, I'm here, you're not!" and for years now that's been more easily achieved by a simple SMS message. Now you can reinforce it with pictures that aren't lame stock images.

BTW, I did buy some post cards on my last trip to the Philippines. It was in a book format, not that I ever plan to send them out, but because it contained pictures I didn't get (or better than I took) of the Imelda Marcos mansion we had just toured. They have a use, dropping them in a mail box isn't among them.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: They were only useful in the past for mocking people "hah, hah, I'm here, you're not!"
honestly jeff, you need to get some new friends if that was the only reason they were sending you post cards. :lol:
Covfefe!
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Having once worked in a mailroom I can attest to the fact that we, at least, loved postcards. Yes, we read, enjoyed and discussed whatever was written on them and critiqued whatever the photo was. Bright spots in the oceans of junk mail and bills.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote:
Jeff V wrote: They were only useful in the past for mocking people "hah, hah, I'm here, you're not!"
honestly jeff, you need to get some new friends if that was the only reason they were sending you post cards. :lol:
It was the only the reason I ever sent them, and it was always the underlying message of one received.

I remember now, I did get one about 5 years ago. It was from an ex-girlfriend who was giving a paper at Oxford University. What do you suppose her reason for sending it might have been? I haven't even seen her in 15 years, mind you.

I once got a post card from a friend who went to Hong Kong. Since we had already been in contact via email, and besides, he was home before the post card arrived, it didn't really serve much purpose. Back in the '80's, I might have gotten one or two from friends in Hawaii on their honeymoon.

Post cards were more commonly sent and received in the 70's and early 80's, but they we never of any consequence. Usually it was a challenge to decipher the actual message between lousy handwriting and incomplete sentences. I remember when stamp machines carried lower-priced post card stamps -- do they even make such things anymore?

Really, technology has long ago rendered them obsolete. Stop being such an Amish, will ya?!
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

I send postcards sometimes when traveling. I'd say I've sent 3-4 postcards in the last 2 years. People like getting mail, and it doesn't require much effort to send one (versus the extreme effort required in finding paper AND an envelope, yes.)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Right after college one of my friends went out to San Francisco to live with another college friend of ours that had moved out there for graduate school. While having an outdoor bbq one afternoon, the host took a picture of our mutual friend who was staying with him. Unfortunately, the picture was of an overweight, heavily tattooed guy with his shirt unbuttoned and drunkenly laying in a hammock.

Our friend then took that photo, drew a line down the back of the picture and made it look like a postcard. He then wrote in the message area "Love for Sale! Young, beautiful and ready for action!", placed a stamp on it, and dropped it in a mailbox.

Surprisingly, the U.S. postal system accepted and delivered it to me.

...our mailman wouldn't look me in the eyes after that though.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:Really, technology has long ago rendered them obsolete. Stop being such an Amish, will ya?!
Just as photographs made painting obsolete. There is something to different approaches to communication. I lament that I've let this one slip away and I lament that I don't travel in such a way as to utilize the tool and that I have don't have so much in the way of relationships for which I would send or receive post cards.

http://www.nickbantock.com/Gryphon/Grif ... abine.html" target="_blank

(Wow. I had no idea this guy took a little trilogy and milked it into an entire product line.)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Your argument does not compute. I don't think anyone ever said photographs are substitute for artistic painting, but photography is much more practical for most of the population. When was the last time you said, "hey, that's a nice view!" and whipped out your easel. canvas and oils?

Postcards are obsolete because technology not only replaces their function, but replaces is better. A picture taken through your eyes is far more personal than an aerial view of an island or resort, or the aforementioned monkey, or some other off-the-shelf token of someone else's imagination. If anyone really wants to look at such pictures, they can find them in ample supply on the internet.

It's not as if post cards are a superior relic of yore being replaced by mere convenience. They are being replaced by something much better. In the time it takes to write a few post cards, I can upload a whole photo spread to Picasa. Instead trying to find something meaningful to say in a short paragraph that fits on a postcard, I can write a daily blog that I can share not only with friends and family, but anyone who might find it of interest.

I do not miss staring at racks of postcards, searching in vain for something that is both relevant and interesting. I do not miss searching for a mailbox or post office in BFE when there are other things I could be doing. I do not miss having to wait until I get home for a response from the recipient (if, indeed, any is forthcoming). Post cards are a staple item in antique stores, and AFAIC, that is where they all belong now.
Black Lives Matter
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

My parents still send me postcards when they travel, and I send postcards to my friends when I travel (and they back to me). They love getting them, and I enjoy writing them, they are a fun way to spend a few minutes one morning.

And I'm a 'youngin' still by this sites standards (27). :P

Jeff, you simply don't seem to appreciate that just because you don't find it enjoyable, others still might. And yes, I could could take a picture, with my phone, send it, with text, immediately to a bunch of friends all at once. But that, to me, is the more distant, impersonal thing to do. Taking time to write a short letter (I use pretty much all the available whitespace), my friends really seem to like that, and I really enjoy reading their postcards.
Last edited by Jiffy on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jiffy wrote: And I'm a 'youngin' still by this sites standards (27). :P
Are you Amish? :shock:
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote:
It's not as if post cards are a superior relic of yore being replaced by mere convenience. They are being replaced by something much better. In the time it takes to write a few post cards, I can upload a whole photo spread to Picasa. Instead trying to find something meaningful to say in a short paragraph that fits on a postcard, I can write a daily blog that I can share not only with friends and family, but anyone who might find it of interest.
When you send a postcard, it's not about you. Or if it is, you're doing it wrong. It's about taking the time to send a quick personal note to someone. Sure you can do it via email now, or put up a blog or checkin on 4square or update your status on Facebook or whatever. But sometimes a bit of something different is a nice gesture.

You seem to have bad experiences with postcards. I've always enjoyed receiving them and in my experience, not that I send a whole lot, people I send them to generally feel the same way.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote:
Jiffy wrote: And I'm a 'youngin' still by this sites standards (27). :P
Are you Amish? :shock:
Are you everyone?
Covfefe!
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Actually, I was just working on editing this year's post card. Instead of Christmas cards, we send out spring greetings and the picture usually reflects something going on in our lives. This year it's a silhouette of Micky Mouse ears that I shoveled out on the drive way. We are going on a super long overdue vacation... and it's to Disney.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:Right after college one of my friends went out to San Francisco to live with another college friend of ours that had moved out there for graduate school. While having an outdoor bbq one afternoon, the host took a picture of our mutual friend who was staying with him. Unfortunately, the picture was of an overweight, heavily tattooed guy with his shirt unbuttoned and drunkenly laying in a hammock.
Mine weren't that bad, but I did have a buddy move out to Colorado while I was in college and he'd send me a postcard every few weeks detailing some ridiculous activity or making reference to some joke we shared. I just found them last week and seeing them made me laugh. I'm sure in another 15 years people will be using a Google cache to scroll through old Facebook posts to remember the salad days of their youth.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:It's not as if post cards are a superior relic of yore being replaced by mere convenience. They are being replaced by something much better. In the time it takes to write a few post cards, I can upload a whole photo spread to Picasa.
Which is sort of my point. There is a deliberation going on almost by necessity that is almost non existent in an SMS or even most emails. I miss that care, that presentation. Both in sending and receiving post cards.
Instead trying to find something meaningful to say in a short paragraph that fits on a postcard, I can write a daily blog that I can share not only with friends and family, but anyone who might find it of interest.
Instead of not reading your friends and families blog or about the generic tales of anyone you might find of interest, you know that someone found something meaningful to say that fits on a postcard.
I do not miss staring at racks
Yeah, right... Oh wait...
of postcards, searching in vain for something that is both relevant and interesting.
I only miss it in that I miss people I would send cards to/get cards from... and the traveling that would make the need felt to send cards.

Post cards are a staple item in antique stores, and AFAIC, that is where they all belong now.
Let me guess. You never enjoy going to podunk down and perusing an antique store for no real reason either. It's all good, though. You may not like post cards. Me, I am much more likely to keep a post card and come back to it years later and smile than I am to keep an SMS or for that matter appreciate the effort or remember the effort for more than a week... Except for the time chaosraven sat in the parking lot of the Filmore and texted me every 30 seconds until I turned my phone off. I remember that well because I wasn't really pleased his effort. I'm also more likely to sit down and digest the effort that goes into a post card than I am an SMS.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Like MHS said, people like getting mail. Electronic communication doesn't have the same impact.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:I just found them last week and seeing them made me laugh.
That's how I think of postcards. I just don't see texts and drunk dials and emails full of pictures and blogs ever doing that. When was the last time you sat down with all your saved copies of Rich and Tiny Fuzzs' exploits written generically to the world? Or even cracked open and reread an email he sent you during some correspondence? How many texts have you saved (versus how many received for that matter?)

I've got hundreds of postcards that I only ever get back to when I'm cleaning... and elect not to throw them away again. This would seem to go hand in hand with Jeff's thunk. Only every time I go through them they take me to another place. A personal place. And piece of my histoi petit. And so I keep them and add the few and getting smaller new pieces of personality that are worth saving to the box and put the box away until the next cleaning time years down the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6P0SitRwy8" target="_blank
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think somewhere between Jeff's belief that postcards are for Luddite losers and LM's life as a 19th century noblewoman lies the answer.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

c
LordMortis wrote:Instead of not reading your friends and families blog or about the generic tales of anyone you might find of interest, you know that someone found something meaningful to say that fits on a postcard.
"Yo, Aruba's great. Chix are amazing. Weather is gorgeous. Wish you were here."

I've never received a more meaningful post card than that. I've sent out far more elaborate SMS messages and emails, however, that were far more personal. I also tend to send more of them. Just about anywhere these days, I can instantly send a message when I see something I'd like to share with a particular person, something I want them to see, or something I know they would like. And I might get instant feedback and dialog. How can a postcard possibly be more personal than that?
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:LM's life as a 19th century noblewoman
I don't doubt that letter and post card writing is very chick thing. Don't care. I'm a lesbian at heart and have been for as long as I can remember.

OTOH, I hate Thank You cards. I never send them and getting them makes me feel uncomfortable (probably because I never send them).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote:

I've never received a more meaningful post card than that.
Again, this is tragic for reasons I don't think you're grasping. :wink:
I don't doubt that letter and post card writing is very chick thing. Don't care. I'm a lesbian at heart and have been for as long as I can remember.
I'm just bustin' your chops. The world needs a little reminder of the civility of a bygone era every now and again.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

silverjon wrote:Like MHS said, people like getting mail. Electronic communication doesn't have the same impact.
That is a myth spread by the purveyors of junk of mail.

Since I am now employed by the company that prints much of that junk mail, I must publicly agree 1000%. But personally, the only thing that would compare would be Xmas cards (in most cases, another silly ritual where there is some vague, pre-printed holiday platitude signed by a family or individual out of rote obligation). They all accompany junk mail....er..."revenue mail" as one coworker called it, into the recycle bin.

When people take the time to send me an email with pictures they just took, it does get saved. I can't say the same thing about any post card I've ever received, because I don't have any of them. I have an infinite capacity to store digital photos and email; not so with things that just add to the already overwhelming amount of clutter.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think we've officially reached the point where Jeff refuses to admit that others view the word differently than him, and others refuse to admit that they're not going to convince Jeff otherwise. I might as well close the thread at this point. ;)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn't think it was getting out of hand. :?
Covfefe!
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

People don't like getting junk mail. That's ridiculous. But receiving a personal letter or postcard or parcel is typically a pleasant experience.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Odin

Post by Odin »

hepcat wrote:I didn't think it was getting out of hand. :?
He's kidding. He's not really closing the thread.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: But personally, the only thing that would compare would be Xmas cards (in most cases, another silly ritual where there is some vague, pre-printed holiday platitude signed by a family or individual out of rote obligation).
What's very sad and inconsistent is that I don't get in to Christmas cards either. I'm a finicky bitch. I don't send them and no matter how personal they are, the only ones that get kept are ones that have a photo on them. I don't save and rarely send birthday card either. None of that seems to mean as much as "I was just thinking of you because..." nor even "I'm here and you're not."
When people take the time to send me an email with pictures they just took, it does get saved. I can't say the same thing about any post card I've ever received, because I don't have any of them. I have an infinite capacity to store digital photos and email; not so with things that just add to the already overwhelming amount of clutter.
I save pretty much every email and therefore digital photos in the emails. Because they store so nicely, I never go back to them and I don't decide what's important, what stays in the inbox of things to keep.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Odin wrote:
d'oh! :oops:
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Odin wrote:
This. Hence the winky face.

Don't make me break out the mad face. :evil:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Uh oh.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote:
Jeff V wrote:

I've never received a more meaningful post card than that.
Again, this is tragic for reasons I don't think you're grasping. :wink:
No, it's not. Post cards are the 1940s equivalent of an SMS message. It's a trivial message on the back of a stock photo; and technology has made this easier and better to accomplish. If people really wanted to communicate anything more than "hey, I'm all the way out here and I'm thinking of you!", they would send a letter, which is also obsolete. The only time I wrote anything like a letter long-hand was on greeting cards sent to my fiancée; mostly because it has more impact when used as evidence for the immigration hearing (this on the advice of an immigration attorney). Prior to her, I think the last time I wrote anything significant long-hand was letters to a girlfriend who spent a summer in Texas around 1979 or 1980.

I am no more thrilled about getting a piece of mail addressed to me that is not a bill or junk mail than I am an email or SMS or PM that fits the same criteria. "Constant Contact" might be the name of a spamming service, but it also describes how technology impacts my interaction with the people in my life who I would bother sending something like a postcard to. I am already communicating in multiple streams -- SMS, email, phone calls, Facebook, blogs, forums, photo spreads -- I got my girlfriend a HD movie camera for Valentine's Day, so I imagine YouTube will be added to that list. A post card adds nothing; my level of communication if anything increases when I am not at home, so they are already getting plenty of noise from me.
Black Lives Matter