[Portal 2 announced]Portal mystery

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

cheeba

Re: [Portal 2 announced]Portal mystery

Post by cheeba »

:lol:

Btw, anyone looking for a co-op partner for this? I probably won't be able to pick it up until the beginning or middle of next week.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Timer counting down to 9am PST Friday.

Looking like it'll release on Friday.

I'm amazed there aren't more people excited and talking about it here :P.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So did the alternate reality game reveal anything new? Or was it just all a Portal 2 teaser?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

cheeba wrote:Timer counting down to 9am PST Friday.

Hmmm, do I cancel my PS3 pre-order so I can play this early...

I was planning on playing it on the PC anyway, but wanted to support the cross-platform deal they have going with the PS3. Plus Amazon will give me a $20 credit when the order ships.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Well who knows if it's going to release early or not. It could be they're releasing some Portal 1 levels or something. We'll see tomorrow I guess.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Release time is tied to people playing games in that indie bundle:
http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/" target="_blank

The more people play the faster GladOS reboots. :)
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

cheeba wrote:Timer counting down to 9am PST Friday.

:) It's a marketing gimmick to sell Potato Sack indie bundles on Steam. Play enough of those indie games and Portal 2 will be released early.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Sepiche wrote:Release time is tied to people playing games in that indie bundle:

The more people play the faster GladOS reboots. :)
I am sorry none of those game appeal to me so I can not help push the release date up. Feel free to go on without me.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Audiosurf doesn't appeal to you?! Aw man, it rocks. I can't stop playing the new (old, fan-made) Portal song, lol.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Well, I'm sticking with my pre-order + Amazon credit. If it gets released early, enjoy. I'll be playing on Tuesday.

BTW, I already owned 11 out of the 13 games in that Potato Sack pack, and really have enjoyed a lot of them. Audiosurf is great. Defense Grid is the best tower defense I've ever played. Cogs and Toki Tori are both great, well polished puzzle games. The Ball is an interesting take on FPS games, and slightly reminiscent of Portal in gameplay- you get a unique weapon that you need to use to solve puzzles and get through levels. And one of these days, I'm going to muster up the courage to finish Amnesia.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Hm.

The tater count is currently dropping...
theohall

Post by theohall »

Shinjin wrote:Hm.

The tater count is currently dropping...
I'm betting when the tater count hits zero, they release the game, which right now is Midnight ET.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Only half on topic but if you haven't yet I highly recommend playing the new potato sack content. I got into it late but have been really impressed with the amount of effort put into the games.

Amnesia: Whole new campaign with a unique storyline and characters. Pretty minimal connection to the portal universe but highly recommended.

The Ball: This one is awesome and actually takes place within Aperture Science complete with Glados mocking you and the portal turrets. If it wasn't for the fact that you are pushing a giant crushing ball instead of a portal gun you would swear it was the same game.

Defense Grid: Two new levels with fully recorded audio; the 2nd of which takes place in an Aperture Science styled level and features Glados commenting on your progress. Many of her comments are hilarious and the AI general who helped you in the main game spends time defending you to her.

Wonderful End of the World: Nothing special but it is a new level built entirely from companion cubes with a variant of the Still Alive song playing in the background.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Everyone is too scared to play Amnesia. :lol: It's has the lowest CPUs.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Their viral campaign for this is absolutely epic. They have apparently enlisted the help of a few select players who have released some odd information here and there. Apparently there's some connections with the g-man. Possible tie in with an announcement of Ep 3? We'll see!
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

cheeba wrote:Their viral campaign for this is absolutely epic. They have apparently enlisted the help of a few select players who have released some odd information here and there. Apparently there's some connections with the g-man. Possible tie in with an announcement of Ep 3? We'll see!
Those would be the "Nine" active test subjects on the countdown page, I'm assuming.

I'll give them full points for effort and ingenuity on this. I am disappointed, though, that the whole end result looks like it's going to be a pre-dawn release on a Tuesday. That's useless to those of us in the working world. For this to seem like a worthwhile gift to me, the game needed to release either on Friday (after the first round of hype) or in time to get a substantial chunk of playing time on Sunday at the latest. This is really much ado about nothing, for me. And given how marvelously well done all the ado is, I find it a little sad.

- Ash
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Asharak wrote:
I'll give them full points for effort and ingenuity on this. I am disappointed, though, that the whole end result looks like it's going to be a pre-dawn release on a Tuesday. That's useless to those of us in the working world.
By pure chance, I'm off tomorrow. I'm hoping there's a preload.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

You've been able to pre-load for over a week. :)
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Hmm, time for an impressions thread?
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

This will be the first time during my unemployment that I'll be getting a game first thing in the morning and then immediately playing it for most of the day. I may wind up doing this for LA Noire and Brink as well. I'll be sure to spoil the hell out of it without tags by early afternoon. :twisted:

(not really, I'm not a monster)
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lordnine wrote:You've been able to pre-load for over a week. :)
Yeah, but I just bought it today. :P

0.2% Complete...

MYT
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

It's playable as of about 12:27am EST.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

...except it took about 25 mins to decrypt and now that it's decrypted, I and many others can't complete installation because their servers can't handle the load.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I preloaded and it's making me re-download it. :cry:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pre-load has slowed to a crawl. Going to let it run overnight and hopefully do some thinking with portals tomorrow.

MYT
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I got it installed and played about 30 mins of it and it is everything I expected. I can;t wait to get home after judo tomorrow and play another hour or so. And the worst part is that I will be gone Thursday-Sunday. So I will get very little portal time this week. They should have released it early and made me a happy camper. But then again I would have probably not gone into work and cut my 2 weeks notice a bit short. Thanks Valve for helping me convince people I actually care about "professionalism".
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm loving it so far. The humor is clever and my buddy is funny. I find myself doing a little light roll playing just to see how annoyed I can make him.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Yeah I just had to keep trying and finally got through the Steam servers to complete installation. Loving it so far. Can't wait to try co-op, but I need some damn sleep.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Well into Chapter 6 at this point, the game is excellent thus far. I'll avoid saying anything else as it gets into spoiler territory. Need to sleep now, been at the game for nearly 3 hours already.
I'm special!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Got up to just after the beginning of chapter 3 last night and I'm also greatly enjoying it. I'm loving Stephen Merchant's role. It actually had me laughing out loud at some of the jokes last night which is pretty rare for me. Hopefully be able to get back on and play some coop tomorrow night.

"CATCH ME! CATCH ME! CATCH ME! CATCH ME!"

:lol:
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Has anyone done co-op yet and if so; How does it work out?

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Game gets thumbs up from me as well although maybe not as much as some people...I seem to be the only person I know who didnt call into work sick today to play it. :P
Jow

Post by Jow »

ironically, i did call off today but not for portal 2. haven't picked it up yet and with 3 other games on my plate right now I'm prolly gonna wait for a sale.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

PS3 version arrived on my doorstep 2 hours ago. Connecting my PS3 account to Steam was painless. Played it longer than I intended on the PS3, because I just couldn't put it down. Just now took a break and entered my code into Steam to activate the PC version and it's installing now.

Major props for both the game I have experienced so far, and for this unprecedented cross platform compatibility.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Superb game. The story drags a bit in act 2, but past that it's excellent in design and fun.
I'm special!
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

miltonite wrote:Has anyone done co-op yet and if so; How does it work out?
Very fun. Been playing it with my girlfriend. We've only finished the first series of tests and just started the 2nd. Working together so far has been FUN. I'm sure playing with people online would be cool if you have voice chat or they weren't dicks.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Wow, great game. Valve has done it again. Not as groundbreaking as the first one, of course, but still great. Now for some co-op!
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

My only 2 problems with this game:
1) GLaDOS is a mean debbie downer. You would think after all this time she would let the whole "you killed me" thing go. All the insults are quite funny as well.
2) Too many loading screens. I hope later there are a few less but the game has to load after every test chamber, I wish the game would load a little more then that at a time.

Bonus problem:
3) This game is too addictive, I am struggling to put it down and get to bed so I can get up in the morning and go to work.

If anyone wants to hit up some multiplayer let me know if you see me on steam. We can use vent or TS to talk if there isn't a built in VIOP.

cheeba

Post by cheeba »

miltonite wrote:If anyone wants to hit up some multiplayer let me know if you see me on steam. We can use vent or TS to talk if there isn't a built in VIOP.
It's built in. Might want to check settings as I think it's default is at auto-talk. Personally I like push-to-talk, which is default C.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

miltonite wrote:My only 2 problems with this game:
1) GLaDOS is a mean debbie downer. You would think after all this time she would let the whole "you killed me" thing go. All the insults are quite funny as well.
2) Too many loading screens. I hope later there are a few less but the game has to load after every test chamber, I wish the game would load a little more then that at a time.

Bonus problem:
3) This game is too addictive, I am struggling to put it down and get to bed so I can get up in the morning and go to work.

If anyone wants to hit up some multiplayer let me know if you see me on steam. We can use vent or TS to talk if there isn't a built in VIOP.
#3 is my problem as well. It's oh, ya know, 1am and I have to get up in 5 hours. Stupid, addictive, great games.

But yeah, it's another great one from Valve.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup