[Portal 2 announced]Portal mystery

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: [Portal 2 announced]Portal mystery

Post by Zarathud »

The "harmless" vids were funny until the first time they looked...threatening.
Spoiler:
You know, the first time the vid shows a ton of turrets "dropping" all around you. After watching the turrets get crushed into the wall, and fall out of the elevator shaft, I was just dreading the walls moving and the turrets just dropping out of the sky.
Tomorrow (er, today) is going to be very difficult at the office.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Anyone up for some co-op tonight? I need to play it from the beginning.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Depending on the time I am down. But I heard there are spoilers to the single player game, anyone know of this for sure?
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I'm up to I believe the 4th set of levels in the co-op campaign and if there are spoilers so far I haven't noticed them.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Just finished single player. Marvelous game.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Chris and I just finished co-op. Very fun. The last few tests require insane coordination to pull off.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Co-op is a frickin' blast! Me and Archinerd got through the first 4 worlds last night and it was just awesome. What a difference having 2 minds thinking about the problem make.

Highlight of the night: there's a chute which rapidly ejects cubes and spheres when I press a button. Archinerd goes to catch one and steps in front of the chute. Wham! The force of the cubes tosses him into the goo, killing him. "I'll try it from the side this time." Laughed my ass off.

Also, you really need a mic for co-op. I couldn't imagine planning this stuff without one.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

BTW, I'm the one that told miltonite that there were spoilers in the co-op. I was going by this Rock Paper Shotgun: Wot I Think review of Portal 2.
After about the first hour, everything in Portal 2 is a spoiler. Even the co-op.
He even says it again in even stronger words later in the review. As I haven't played co-op yet, only single player, I'm only guessing that the spoiler is
Spoiler:
Who may be giving the tests. Are there different hosts for different areas, or is GLaDOS with you the whole way?
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Lordnine wrote:Chris and I just finished co-op. Very fun. The last few tests require insane coordination to pull off.
Read: Lordnine dropped me into deadly goo a bunch of times. ;)

Coop was a lot of fun, had some *very* minor campaign spoilers, but nothing you would really catch if you weren't looking for it.

Overall the game is certainly a 9.5/10. The *only* problems with it are the length (leaves you wanting much, much more) and a bit of story dragging in the middle. That's about it for complaints from me.
I'm special!
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

cheeba wrote:Also, you really need a mic for co-op. I couldn't imagine planning this stuff without one.
Even with mics *and* putting down markers on the map *and* seeing through your partner's eyes it can still be hard to plan things out.
I'm special!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Yeah, good times cheeba. I'm looking forward to making our way through more of it tonight. And while you may have enjoyed knocking me into the sludge water, my favorite moment of the night was when we accidentally coordinated our jumps to solve the level. It was just a whim on my part, but after we made it I realized we would have died had I not done it.

Another fun detail in co-op. It keeps track of how many steps each of you have taken, making something very mundane into a fun little contest.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Archinerd wrote:Yeah, good times cheeba. I'm looking forward to making our way through more of it tonight. And while you may have enjoyed knocking me into the sludge water, my favorite moment of the night was when we accidentally coordinated our jumps to solve the level. It was just a whim on my part, but after we made it I realized we would have died had I not done it.
Ah yes, that was brilliant! I had no idea and bam, we solved the puzzle accidentally, lol.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Archinerd wrote:Another fun detail in co-op. It keeps track of how many steps each of you have taken, making something very mundane into a fun little contest.
While the original didn't have co-op, this is a carry-over from the Challenge maps. Being able to complete a map in the fewest steps was one of the challenges.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

theohall wrote:
Archinerd wrote:Another fun detail in co-op. It keeps track of how many steps each of you have taken, making something very mundane into a fun little contest.
While the original didn't have co-op, this is a carry-over from the Challenge maps. Being able to complete a map in the fewest steps was one of the challenges.
:shock:
I never played the challenge maps in the original! I guess I've got a bit more Portal to hold me over while we wait for Portal 3.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I finished the SP campaign last night in just a bit over 8 hours and had a blast.

I can completely see why some people will say Portal was better, but the cast and writing in the new one really stood out for me. Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons were both brilliant. I also liked that there were enough new items to interact with that I never felt tired of something. In the first one it almost felt like they were so pressed for content that they beat all the different items into the ground.

Personal highlights (paraphrasing):
Spoiler:
Cave Johnson: "Small problem... control group C you will not be being injected with mantis DNA as planned. You will instead be fighting an army of mantis-men. So pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line!"
----
Wheatley: "Oh, you fell! Do you see a portal gun down there? ... Are you alive?? Should have asked that first... yes, are you alive?"
----
AI: "SPAAACE!!"
Wheatley: "Yeah, that's right mate, we're in space."
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Damn, I was gonna wait for a sale, but the forum effect is growing and I would like something new to play this weekend.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Damn, I was gonna wait for a sale, but the forum effect is growing and I would like something new to play this weekend.
I would get it now so that you could easily find someone who has not yet played co-op to play with. God that's a crappy sentence. Either way, I would think playing co-op with someone who has already played it would suck if you haven't played it yet. Well it might not suck but it definitely wouldn't be as fun.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Bought it at Best Buy tonight for $50 - $15 in reward zone coupons = $35 and got a $10 BB gift card with the purchase. W00t!

Also here's a bonus for people who despise physical media but may find it on sale that way - the game fully integrates with Steam so when you pop in the CD it uses Steam for activation and everything else. The only thing the CD does is provide the actual install source for the media vs having to d/l it through Steam. The physical box doesn't even come with a manual.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Finished the single player campaign tonight. It's by far my favorite Valve title although I do think there were some minor pacing issues in its second act.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Archinerd and I finished co-op last night. Thought "world" 5 was easier than 4. Still, awesome experience. They need more co-op! I thought co-op gameplay was better than single-player.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Sepiche wrote:I finished the SP campaign last night in just a bit over 8 hours and had a blast.

I can completely see why some people will say Portal was better, but the cast and writing in the new one really stood out for me. Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons were both brilliant. I also liked that there were enough new items to interact with that I never felt tired of something. In the first one it almost felt like they were so pressed for content that they beat all the different items into the ground.

Spoiler:
Cave Johnson: "Small problem... control group C you will not be being injected with mantis DNA as planned. You will instead be fighting an army of mantis-men. So pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line!"
----
Wheatley: "Oh, you fell! Do you see a portal gun down there? ... Are you alive?? Should have asked that first... yes, are you alive?"
----
Spoiler:
I came up with a solution that works out best for one of both of us.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ibdoomed wrote:
Sepiche wrote:I finished the SP campaign last night in just a bit over 8 hours and had a blast.

Spoiler:
----
----
Spoiler:
I came up with a solution that works out best for one of both of us.
Spoiler:
The whole Cave Johnson lemonade rant was epic.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Just got the game last night and I'm dying to go home to play some more. I think I'm on chapter 5 or so. Damn why do I have to be working today. I could do something constructive like playing Portal 2.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm on chapter 7 at the moment. A few times I've found myself frustrated and cursing some kind of dexterity thing they're asking you to do. Then I usually figure out the step I was missing and realize the thing I was trying to do was wrong all along. The writing has been awesome all along. I do miss GlaDOs pretending to be pleasant though. That was one of my favorite bits from the first one. I can't wait to try the co-op after I finish the SP.

Getting it was kind of a pain. I switched my $35 Amazon order to a Best Buy store pickup order because they were effectively offering another $20 in gift cards ($10 immediately, another $10 in reward zone points). On Mon, got the email saying to pick up on Tuesday.

Tuesday, I go in, and they can't find the game anywhere, though they spent 30 minutes looking. The customer service girl apologized profusely and took my number down to call if they found it or got more in. I decided to give them until Wed night to find it, because the price difference between that order and the other options was now pretty large. I was annoyed though. On Wed afternoon they apparently found the box that had been misplaced, and I was able to go get it. The girl also gave me another $10 gift card for the inconvenience, which was nice.

So for $35 out of pocket, I got the game and $30 in gift cards. Not too shabby, I suppose, but man, was I pissed on Tuesday.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Oh my cephalopod! LordMortis and crew earn many demerits for not mentioning the fact that Aperture Labs is based in upper Michigan!

GLaDOS doesn't have any yooper accent. It must have been programmed out of her. The "GL" in the front of the name just screams "Great Lakes".

You have all been voluntarily volunteered into the next testing cycle.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Last edited by killbot737 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler much?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Spoiler much?
Context much?
Spoiler:
I don't know what you think I'm giving away. I haven't finished the game yet, so if the fact that it's based in Michigan is a giant giveaway I'm sorry. I live here and I thought it was fun that for once a game was located here. EH?
There is no hug button. Sad!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm pretty far into the game, and I don't recall seeing anything referring to what you are referencing. If it's supposedly common knowledge and not a critical element, I apologize, but it was something of which I was not aware.
Koz

Post by Koz »

It's displayed as a newspaper headline maybe halfway through the game.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Finished the single player. 9.9 hours, according to Steam's achievements page.

Holy shit, that just happened. Awesome ending. And the new song is growing on me, too.

- Ash
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

killbot737 wrote:Oh my cephalopod! LordMortis and crew earn many demerits for not mentioning the fact that Aperture Labs is based in upper Michigan!
Hmm...a jab at the Michigan-based Stardock, perhaps (prior to their sale of Impulse to Gamestop, at any rate)? Valve is to Black Mesa as Stardock is to Aperture? Does that make Brad Wardell Cave Johnson?

- Ash
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Just to reiterate, yeah co-op is friggin' great. Most fun Ive had in a MP game in...well, in a long time.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

GungHo wrote:Just to reiterate, yeah co-op is friggin' great. Most fun Ive had in a MP game in...well, in a long time.
I would have to agree. Last night me and TScott got up to level 4 and had a blast doing it. It would totally suck if one person played through before though.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Yeah, it's pretty fun and rewarding playing co-op with someone. When one of us gets stumped the other seems to have a good idea of how to do it. We were both sort of stumped for a bit a couple of times, but before too long one of us would have an ah-ha moment and we'd both wonder why we didn't see the solution before. It was a pretty memorable experience and I can't wait to finish out the campaign, though I'll be sad when it's done.

The only complaint I've got about Portal 2 is I couldn't get the voice chat to work. I thought I enabled it, and mapped the talk button to my usual "mouse-4" but it didn't work. So after completing the intro area without voice chat, miltonite and I hopped on Vent and used that to communicate instead. I'd hate to know how it would have gone if we had no voice communication at all...
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

For some reason voice chat will default to "disabled" under some circumstances (I think if you re-bind the key). I was wondering why Archinerd wasn't talking so I chatted to him and he said he couldn't hear me. So I looked in my audio options and there it was, set to disabled, even though I hadn't made any changes since the previous day when it worked fine.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

It didn't bother me, I would actually rather use vent because we could still talk during the loading screens.

Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

This web comic reminds me of something:

http://abstrusegoose.com/359" target="_blank

For about the past week in the morning while I'm struggling to wake up I conclude that it would be easiest to drop a blue on the wall and an orange on the bed. I'd be up and moving with hardly any effort. Never seems to pan out, though.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

The Potatoe made me do it.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

There will be DLC and it will be free. Yes.

As much as I love this game, I think there was a little too much hand holding in the single player campaign. I look forward to seeing something more challenging and that may integrate the game elements together a bit more than they were in single player.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was watching some of the E3 videos from the game page at Steam, and I honestly felt that the stuff they were showing then was about two levels harder than most of the stuff the game asked us to do in terms of timing and precision. I look forward to having to stretch myself to get stuff done in a more elegant, choreographed manner.