Rich Laporte

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

DillonBarba

Rich Laporte

Post by DillonBarba »

Do any of you know his whereabouts?
or whats happened to him?
Exodor

Re: Rich Laporte

Post by Exodor »

Uh oh.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

alt
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

He's still around, but the last time I saw him was on The Screensavers.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

:pop:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

In Revelations, the LaPorte bots follow the crokinole bots, right?
Black Lives Matter.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

DillonBarba wrote:Do any of you know his whereabouts?
I don't but I do harbor the same curiosities.

I admire(d?) the man for his genuine spirit, though wouldn't want to use him as a role model for web development execution. There are a wide range of opinions on the man from folks who prioritize these things differently. At one point it seemed as if some folks were interested in creating a Rich is bad bandwagon, though that wasn't exactly allowed to pass without comment. My only direct interactions with him were brief personal conversations and "professionally" as a moderator for his web forum (which was an aspect of his web page which he had delegated), so my own opinions have lessened intensity due to a comparatively isolated professional experience compared to those for whom had a more direct line to the man. I was rather heavily invested in the online community which had him at the top of its totem but mine was a far from unique experience in that regard (and obviously folks from that subset are going to have a wide range of opinions and justifications for those opinions).

So not so much a can of worms being opened here as one may think. My opinion is that there are relatively few people who have strong opinions on Rich which are as justifiable in terms of the strength with which they share (or shared) those opinions. There were some background activities occurring for which most of us have only heard one side of the story (I've probably heard as much of the full story as anyone as my marginal professional involvement with Rich did bring me into direct contact with many folks who had stronger professional ties), and one would hope the emotional responses to those actions had long since worked their way out of folks' systems.

My interest remains firmly as a curiosity for a person that kicked off a project which has had a strong impact on my life. I rather doubt that this curiosity will ever be satisfied.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I just want to know what Rich thinks about crokinole.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Don't know but I wish him well. I hope he's still gaming and that he found whatever it was he was looking for.

Though it would be pretty funny if he was using an alt and actively participating here or at GT. :ninja:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

The Meal wrote:
DillonBarba wrote:Do any of you know his whereabouts?
I don't but I do harbor the same curiosities.

I admire(d?) the man for his genuine spirit, though wouldn't want to use him as a role model for web development execution. There are a wide range of opinions on the man from folks who prioritize these things differently. At one point it seemed as if some folks were interested in creating a Rich is bad bandwagon, though that wasn't exactly allowed to pass without comment. My only direct interactions with him were brief personal conversations and "professionally" as a moderator for his web forum (which was an aspect of his web page which he had delegated), so my own opinions have lessened intensity due to a comparatively isolated professional experience compared to those for whom had a more direct line to the man. I was rather heavily invested in the online community which had him at the top of its totem but mine was a far from unique experience in that regard (and obviously folks from that subset are going to have a wide range of opinions and justifications for those opinions).

So not so much a can of worms being opened here as one may think. My opinion is that there are relatively few people who have strong opinions on Rich which are as justifiable in terms of the strength with which they share (or shared) those opinions. There were some background activities occurring for which most of us have only heard one side of the story (I've probably heard as much of the full story as anyone as my marginal professional involvement with Rich did bring me into direct contact with many folks who had stronger professional ties), and one would hope the emotional responses to those actions had long since worked their way out of folks' systems.

My interest remains firmly as a curiosity for a person that kicked off a project which has had a strong impact on my life. I rather doubt that this curiosity will ever be satisfied.
So to answer your question DillonBarba in 5 words....

No, and I liked him
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've never harbored any grudges. In the end the community was greater than one individual.

On a smaller scale I understand the pressures of running an online site. Back in the mid-to-late 90s I had a horror DVD review site. It started off small but as it gained an audience the stress of making sure it was updated daily was pretty overwhelming. And at that time I was just a college student with a lot of free time on my hands. I finally just walked away from it cold turkey.

The internet is a strange double-edged world. One in which you can meet and socialize with people you'd never socialize with in real life. But at the same time that anonymity makes it easier than real life to just drop off the grid when it becomes too much.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote:I've never harbored any grudges.
Pretty much this. I was pretty taken aback. And a bit :shock: that I didn't really have contact with a lot of people I talked to online outside of the outlet but that was my own damned fault. I felt bad for the likes of Andy who likely also didn't have any warning. Rich didn't owe me anything but if I worked on hard on site content, I'd be pissed as all hell.

I wish Rich well. I swore he popped up somewhere on some site or another to briefly apologize.

I'm glad that he could fade into obscurity, which is presumably his desire. There are a lot of strange stalkerlike people out there and Rich was a minor Internet celebrity.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I was a lurker at GoneGold until the last year or so, but I must have missed whatever controversy there was.

I remember it as a great site for talking about computer games. And it passed on to OO, which is a great site for talking about you lot.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Since we're kinda on the topic of Gone Gold, does anyone remember the forum poster "simon"?

He was a super nice guy, use to post pictures of his cute kid, and I did some game trades with him, I think?

Anyway, I was wondering if he ever migrated over here?
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

JSHAW wrote:Since we're kinda on the topic of Gone Gold, does anyone remember the forum poster "simon"?

He was a super nice guy, use to post pictures of his cute kid, and I did some game trades with him, I think?

Anyway, I was wondering if he ever migrated over here?
Yep, he was around in the early days posting under that name.

Last post was back in July of 2007.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I've still got my Gone Gold t-shirt! I'll always be grateful to Rich for starting up that website, even if the community fractured when it went down so unexpectedly. It took me something like three weeks to find this place, and I was really worried I wouldn't be able to find the community again, believe it or not.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I ate him. He's in my belly now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote:I've never harbored any grudges. In the end the community was greater than one individual.
Yep, but this is also the reason there are grudges. The dickish way he pulled the plug on GG was a blatant refusal to accept that the community he helped spawn grew bigger than himself. I can get that the site grew beyond his interest and ability to manage, but there are other ways he could have abdicated gracefully.

I met Rich personally a few times; cordial and aloof would describe those meetings. He seemed decidedly not interested in seeing GG become any bigger than it had already become. I think what probably started as a hobby and diversion simply became work, and not the type of work he enjoyed.

It's remarkable that the community was as indestructible as it was. It would probably make good material to some sociologist interested in the dynamics of virtual communities. That it did reconstitute itself probably lessens LaPorte's villainy. I don't think I personally would have ever held him accountable -- until I knew what happened. At the time of the resurrection, I didn't really know why GG vanished.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

wonderpug wrote:I just want to know what Rich thinks about crokinole.
I lik...I mean, he likes it...allegedly.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote:
YellowKing wrote:I've never harbored any grudges. In the end the community was greater than one individual.
Yep, but this is also the reason there are grudges. The dickish way he pulled the plug on GG was a blatant refusal to accept that the community he helped spawn grew bigger than himself. I can get that the site grew beyond his interest and ability to manage, but there are other ways he could have abdicated gracefully.

I met Rich personally a few times; cordial and aloof would describe those meetings. He seemed decidedly not interested in seeing GG become any bigger than it had already become. I think what probably started as a hobby and diversion simply became work, and not the type of work he enjoyed.

It's remarkable that the community was as indestructible as it was. It would probably make good material to some sociologist interested in the dynamics of virtual communities. That it did reconstitute itself probably lessens LaPorte's villainy. I don't think I personally would have ever held him accountable -- until I knew what happened. At the time of the resurrection, I didn't really know why GG vanished.
I think what he did to get GG going was a great thing, I loved that site in it's prime. It got to be too much for him, or life got too much, whatever the case. It was his site and his to shut/wind down as he wanted. He didn't owe us anything, really. There may have been personal issues that went on but they didn't involve me so I'm not obliged to take a side.

I only lament the missed opportunity for him to evolve GoneGold as there was no shortage of willing talent willing to help (as GT aptly demonstrates). Heck, I think Roll Call could have been made into a book. But in the end it was his decision and I don't begrudge him any of it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
croman

Post by croman »

I have a hard time holding a grudge against someone that did so much. I do miss the site however.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I didn't really mind so much his shutting down of the site. It was the POOF it's gone! that kind of upset me. I was going thru withdrawals until I found the then Console Gold.
Unless somebody brings it up I don't give the whole GG thing any thought.

Just sounds like something my stepson would do. :tjg:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I have a Gone gold t-shirt.

I hope Rich is doing well.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

That is a name from the past! I hope he's doing well.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I wouldn't be here without him so I appreciate what he did. I was not happy at the time but in a sense he was a guy ahead of his time.
Black Lives Matter
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

LordMortis wrote:I wish Rich well. I swore he popped up somewhere on some site or another to briefly apologize.
He popped up at one point on some gaming news site about two years after GG was shut down but didn't apologize for anything, IIRC. He also went after the ConsoleGold guys at the same time after months and months of no contact (they abandoned the name and became Gaming Trend shortly after). So even then he wasn't really being nice about things.

But in the end that was his choice and none of us knew/know what was going on behind the scenes. Right after he shut down GoneGold I was emailing back and forth with Bill Harris about it and Bill told me some things about how the site had been running while he was doing the front page that really surprised me, namely that Rich's involvement had been relatively minimal for some time. Bill was basically running the site, including finding advertising and so on, not just writing content. So while Rich shutting things down seemed sudden at the time, the reality was that he was already pretty disconnected because of his real life stuff.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I got an email from Rich in 2005:

Hello Jay,

Thank you for your kind thoughts and wishes. I completely understand any
frustrations felt and thank you for accepting my apology.

Stay Safe,
~Rich

----- Original Message -----
To: <richard@gonegold.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 8:59 PM
Subject: Last Call

> Hey Rich,
>
> Glad to hear you are doing better, I had feared the worst. I guess you
> could put me in the "Sure i was a little disappointed when I couldn't log
> on to my favorite Gone Gold, but there's more to life than a gaming site
> on the internet" crowd.
>
> I wouldn't let the fanatics get to you. Hell, they were screaming for Sid
> Miers's blood when CivIV shipped a day later than announced. It's a GAME,
> folks.
>
> Anyway, just wanted to wish you the best in all things.
>
> Jay M.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

I hold no grudge but am curious to hear how he's doing/what he's up to now.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Heck, I think Roll Call could have been made into a book.
Does someone have all the Roll Calls?
I sure would like to read them again.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

[Andy] I might have them somewhere - I'll do some searching and report back if I find them.. [/Andy]
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

Cool, I would definitely like to read them all again as well.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

freelunch wrote:[Andy] I might have them somewhere - I'll do some searching and report back if I find them.. [/Andy]
Were you Gonegold's "Andy from Australia"?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've always thought the Roll Calls could be put together into a fantastic book.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Dave Allen wrote:Were you Gonegold's "Andy from Australia"?
that was me. I used to have the site archived as it was before the server disappeared but after searching today I'm not sure I still have it - it isn't anywhere obvious :(
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There are a few here and there at arhive.org.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
zinckiwi

Post by zinckiwi »

Wow... "Value of the Week" sure dates it:
These include: Electronics Boutique, CompUSA, Software Etc., Best Buy, OfficeMax, Staples, Circuit City and others
Absorbed, Dead, Dead, Alive, Alive, Alive, Dead.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Bring back Egghead!
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Bring back TinyFuzz!
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Scoop20906

Rich Laporte

Post by Scoop20906 »

Sigh
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

SpaceLord wrote:Bring back TinyFuzz!
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MYT