Well I'm home from the hospital as mom is the one staying the night with her tonight. Here is the rundown: She was running fever last night, 99.x degrees, and sleeping more than normal. We would normally treat her fever and wait until today to see if it persisted, as it was still a low grade fever, but she was exposed to her cousin who had a throat infection last week at the wedding so to be safe we went to the ER last night. ER ran strep, rsv, and flu test;chest x-ray and echo just as a CYA for the doctor on duty (she was pretty young and knew Karleigh was a heart baby so I figured she didn't want to risk it if she was wrong about it not being heart related). Got nothing and sent us home saying it was likely a virus. This morning when we get up she is burning up, I think it was almost 102, so the little woman and karleigh go to the ER again with my mom (they were supposed to run a lot of post wedding errands with her today anyway). I go off to work figuring more of the same as last night.
This morning's ER visit nets a series of blood tests and urinalysis. High white count and fever lead them to believe it is bacterial (bacterial infections are pretty bad as they can easily spread to the heart), they gave her Roserphrin (probably spelled wrong but a broad spectrum antibiotic). She also has a low platelet count (74.8 for those who actually know what that means). She gets sent off and told to check in with the pediatrician tomorrow. Little woman calls and they bump Wednesday's appointment to today instead. They have begun eating lunch by the time the pediatrician calls her back to schedule for today, so I get a call at work to meet them at the restaurant and head to the peds office. We get there and go through the normal routine, except the low platelet count has him worried it could be ITP
as he has seen another case recently. He calls her cardiologist and consults with him while in the room with us. They agree to have her admitted to monitor the platelet count and get the fever under control, mostly the platelets according to them.
Now the little one is getting IV antibiotics to make sure they clear up the cause of the fever, though it looks like it was improving before they ever got the IV in (that took several tries over an hour and then a break of a few hours followed by another try to succeed) They just got blood for the first time since this morning right before I left about 9pm. Hopefully the platelet count is on its way up and not down. And that is where it stands for now. So it seems like the perfect capstone to this comedy of errors that this weekend has been. I'll start a new thread for that though.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell