Anyone still play City of Heroes/Villains?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Aganazer

Anyone still play City of Heroes/Villains?

Post by Aganazer »

I don't know why I never tried this game before. I'm having a blast. It feels so polished after playing AoC for a couple months. Do any OO'ers still play?
Guy Incognito

Re: Anyone still play City of Heroes/Villains?

Post by Guy Incognito »

Few months ago I reactivated but had to shut off the subscription for a couple months.

New baby and all, lack of time or something...

:P
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I've been playing off and on lately. Got my Mastermind to 49.2. Getting from 40 to fifty is the biggest f*ing grind in the history of grinding. Except for the original SWG Jedi grind. :) I did take advantage of the double XP weekend to get from 45 to 48. That was really nice.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I've been playing from time to time - I moved my main characters to Freedom since its the only server that maintains a decent population and is easy to group on. I have a 50, a 30ish (28-29?) and a few 15 or less. I have a blast when I play, but I get tired of people who just want to PL or grind influence to build bases. I'd like to get with a group that was badge hunting and going through all of the task forces and using Ourobos to time travel and pick up all the older badge missions.

My main is ElectroGenX (electrogenics is biological generation of electricity, like an electric eel)) and that is my chat handle as well - feel free to add me to global friends list if you are on Freedom and I'll see you when I'm on. I may have a few lower levels lingering on Victory and no presence on the other servers.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Tao

Post by Tao »

I resubbed a short while back and have been playing fairly regularly. Another board member also recently resubbed and we've been running some duo's as well. I am on Virtue which seems to have a pretty decent population and a good player base. I rarely have trouble getting into a group.
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

killbot737 wrote:Getting from 40 to fifty is the biggest f*ing grind in the history of grinding.
+1, although I hear it's become easier than it was.

I got my Blaster to 50 way back before CoV came out, and it was an insane grind.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

40's aren't too bad now - you'll probably be turning down a ton of invites from people who want you to bridge so they can PL low levels and grind influence for their SG. Actually adventuring through those levels might be harder, but there is a ton of content - I rarely had difficulty filling out a full team if I sent tells that I was putting together a mission group. We still farmed a few missions, because you can run out of decent ones when you max. You might be surprised by how many people will group if you specifically state that you are going after badges or missions, hunting arch villains, etc.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's your chance -- the game is going free to play later this year.
Q: What content will Free players receive?

A: A free player can achieve maximum character level (Level 50) in the game and can choose from among eight Archetypes (classes). Free players can create up to two characters (total) and play as Heroes in Paragon City™ or Villains in the Rogue Isles™. Free players can join in most Task Forces, Strike Forces, Trials, and raids. However, certain content and rewards are reserved for VIP players only.
Free players are restricted from certain systems within the game (alignment change, Day Jobs, Mission Architect, and so on), and they will not receive any live support unless they upgrade to VIP player status. They can still access self-help support. View the free player benefits in the Freedom player choice side-by-side comparison.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I wonder how their FtP model will interact with discontinued paid accounts. I was a subscriber for like ... 3.5 years but stopped playing a long time ago. I had exactly one level 50 - a Burn Tanker from back when you could round up 50 MOBs and pile them on to kill them. I'd run missions with 8 people and kill everything myself - getting people from level 1 to 26 in 3 hours. A tad overpowered.

I loved my Dark/Robotics Mastermind, though. Loved him good. I think he made it to ~45 before I quit.

*Edit Below*
Hm. Comparison Chart of account types. It looks like I'd keep my ~40 months of Veteran Rewards and access to a lot of content, but have limited Auction capabilities and only as many character slots as I purchased - meaning 2. I wonder if they let you choose which characters to keep and which get archived. I wouldn't mind playing my Mastermind again, but he was in one of the lower slots for the server I was on.

I kind of think this is the correct 'Free to Play' model - Paid players get the whole game that they're used to, and Free players get a partial game. I've recently been playing Pirates of the Burning Seas and their FtP model is weak - you get 100% of the game's useful content for one month's subscription with no need to reapply. Everything else is basically cosmetic as far as I can tell.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was wondering the same. The FAQ suggests:
Returning Players Become Premium Players

We honor your commitment and experience! If you used to play City of Heroes, you will automatically become a Premium Player. New free players can become Premium Players by buying any amount of Paragon Points.

Get everything that Free players get.
Retain nearly everything you already purchased or unlocked, including Super Boosters, expansions, and directly purchased character slots.
Retain all the Veteran Rewards you earned.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

killbot737 wrote:I've been playing off and on lately. Got my Mastermind to 49.2. Getting from 40 to fifty is the biggest f*ing grind in the history of grinding.
Not even close. Try playing Lineage 2 sometime. You'll grind an entire day on a single group of mobs in a dungeon -- and I mean 8+ hours -- for 5% of a level in experience. And you'll pray that no one comes along and kills you for your room, because then you'll lose 4% of that.

And that's not even mentioning the grinding for gear...

No Western MMO even approaches the level of grinding that Lineage 2 embodies. Trust me, that's a good thing.
Texian

Post by Texian »

I still play for a couple of hours every day mostly with MM's named Factory Girl on both Virtue and Pinnacle servers. My Global is @Silver Rogue if anyone wants to contact me online.

My character Texas Terror is still the leader of the OO sponsored SG on Virtue - The Wanderers - and pays the dues monthly to keep the SG alive for anyone who is interested. The base has all the most wanted good features and a few TP's in place.

I tried to break away from CoH several times but I always return to it. By far, it is my favorite of all the MMO's I've played. I love my characters there the best and the game play fits my style so much better than most.

Lastly, CoH is going to a F2P Hybrid model later this year.
http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/freedo ... rview.html" target="_blank
Retired yet still Loving life as it ebbs to its inevitable conclusion.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I played some in the last free weekend anniversary, and it was still fun, so I paid up for 3 months, and bought the steampunk kit. Then the F2P announcement came, and that makes me happy. because I like the game, but not enough to regularly spend money on it. My only 50 is an assault rifle/electric blaster. Never mind that I have 4+ years of paid subscription.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Smoove_B wrote:I was wondering the same. The FAQ suggests:
Returning Players Become Premium Players

We honor your commitment and experience! If you used to play City of Heroes, you will automatically become a Premium Player. New free players can become Premium Players by buying any amount of Paragon Points.

Get everything that Free players get.
Retain nearly everything you already purchased or unlocked, including Super Boosters, expansions, and directly purchased character slots.
Retain all the Veteran Rewards you earned.
Then I'm in. But what possible motivation would there be for me to ever pay?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymann wrote:Then I'm in. But what possible motivation would there be for me to ever pay?
Not much, honestly.

I'm excited to get a lot of my stuff back, too. Perhaps they figure that if they can draw you back with almost everything you had, you'd be far more willing to pay something than if they set you back to square one. Good marketing - a rarity.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Well, according to this, only people who pay the subscription fee can send whispers/tells or post in the forums, among other things.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I went to their site and found a lot of descriptions, but when does the play for free actually start?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They haven't exactly said, just "later this year". I'd imagine they'd probably want to push for September or early October -- before their launch is lost in the Xmas gaming insanity that occurs around November.
Texian

Post by Texian »

The VIP (paid subscribers) head start begins on September 13.
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=271034" target="_blank

CoH Freedom will probably open to the general public for F2P within 2 weeks after that.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

OK - I resubbed. The deadline is the 13th. I guess I'll check out what's going on and maybe move stuf around before dropping down to previous levels.
Texian

Post by Texian »

I played the subscriber Beta for a few weeks. The changes are really significant especially in the first 15 levels. And, of course, the new Paragon Market is a wholly new concept for CoH with lots of good stuff for sale. The Beta seems to have most of the kinks worked out. There are still some minor issues, though, so don't be surprised during head start period to see a couple of patches applied before this thing goes fully live. All in all I give it an 8 out of 10 for all they've tried to get done in one Free major update.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I am eagerly anticipating the Freedom update and plan to fire it up soon as it goes live. :horse:
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Played them both off and on in the past. I guess it's been 5 years or more since I last played. Knowing my time memory its been closer to 10 year lol. I can't recall any of my characters except my last one,..a Mastermind,. decked out in skulls and orange if I recall right. I was a robot one. Love robots. I remember summoning them then upgrading one of them. Fun times. I always ended up quitting because none of the friends I had played it and I was never in a guild. It got boring fast because of that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Is there incentive for me to register my unused key before the 13th? Like is the $10 I paid for the client down the drain after that?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Texian

Post by Texian »

Sudy Nym wrote:Is there incentive for me to register my unused key before the 13th? Like is the $10 I paid for the client down the drain after that?
No incentive to use key early. The basic game client is on sale now and will still be sold for $9.99 after the 13th.

Also, for those who are interested, The Wanderers Super Group on Virtue is still alive. My character Texas Terror has faithfully paid the monthly fee to keep the Base open. There are many, many characters as members that I will soon need to decide to keep on or dismiss to make room for any new characters that want to join.

Please let me know via in-game CoH Email (@silver rogue) if you absolutely do not want your character dismissed from the Wanderers....or if you want an invite to join.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Cylus you should have a PM
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Thanks Tao - email sent
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Looks like the new Episode is live. I'm trying to get it to finish launching and it seems backlogged.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

No luck getting on last night. It has the "loading" bar displayed and never goes anywhere. It worked great before the patch. I guess I'll try again tonight.

Anybody have experience with the new release?

Edit: Still can't get it to work. I played with the compatibility settings to no avail. I have verified all files and checked all the event logs. I have also looked at the nclauncher logs and the coh logs. No errors and play for me. I put a ticket in and will canel account if no good response within 24 hours.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I fired up the game about 10pmish MST last night and actually had a much better pipe downloading the new content than I did on Tuesday just downloading and patching the game. Sorry to hear about your Technical issues Cylus, hopefully they can get it straightened out. Sounds like you have something corrupted and may need a full reinstall which would suck.

Anyone playing on Virtue if not what server are folks playing on?
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Everything is working OK as of this weekend. I was able to get in on safe mode and then tweak graphics as high as I wanted. So, I went looking for the application Data folder (the only thing that would have persisted across a re-install) and deleted it - Problem Solved!

I respecced my Elec/Elec/Elec blaster main to get 3 more skills since the Fitness Pool is now inherent. I actually had to make a couple of tough choices for slots as opposed to having leftovers. While I was at it, I switched out Leaping for Teleportation so I could get the new long-range teleport skill. I have a rocket board and jump pack, so I figured I didn't really need to buy into leaping as a travel power. I'm kind of missing the combat jumping and acrobatics defenses, though. The build is still a lot of fun and I used one of my powers to get my 3rd hold. I only have about 90% of the damage of a fire or energy blaster and have less AoE - but I have a lot of fun with the energy drains and holds. I can turn a battle by running in to the tank's snarl and firing off a power sink - tends to ruin all of their advanced attacks and can even drop all of their defense toggles. i.e business as usual; even after all of the changes.

I was running last night with just me and a tanker. I'm now set for +1, x2 and he was set for +2, x6 :shock: ; which he apparently solos. We did real well running a few missions in Cimora. It helps that we are RL friends and have played together a lot in the past. Plus, we were on skype.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Started a new Dual-pistiol/Time Manipulation Corrupter and really liking the way the powersets play. Dual pistol isnt super powerful but the animations are really fun. I love when that last mob takes off running with a sliver of health and my character whips out both pistols spins and fires and the bullet curves around the building to finish them off :lol: Sort of old school western meets Trigun meets the Fraternity (Wanted).

Did my first Sewer Trial last night, not having played in awhile alot of the content is new for me. I highly recommend this for anyone who resubbed recently. The battles are a bit chaotic but really fun and you need to plan your attack priorities for Boss/Minion. The big draw is apparently the rewards (4 SO enhancements for a full run) and the insane XP. I joined the group at level 10 and we did two full runs and I left just shy of level 15. Takes maybe 40 minutes for a full run with a decent group. Apparently there is some advantage for higher level characers to run it as well, even malefactored down in level, as we had two 30+ folks that joined us.

Anyone else playing on semi-regular basis? I have 2 40ish toons and a slew of 10-20, would love to do some grouping.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Which server? I'm on Freedom (mostly) and Victory - but I could start a new toon or transfer one of a matching level range.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is it play for free yet?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Al my characters are currently on Virtue but Im not locked in to playing there and would be willing to move to another server if folks are more established elsewhere.

Rumor has it the free to play will officially launch in the next week or so. Active accounts have already been migrated and they are slowly migrating inactive accounts, there is post on the official forums but it's a tad confusing.
Texian

Post by Texian »

All inactive accounts are slowly being converted to free or premium accounts.
There is no time table for when this will be done for your account.
Login to your account to check status.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Texian wrote:All inactive accounts are slowly being converted to free or premium accounts.
There is no time table for when this will be done for your account.
Login to your account to check status.
Thanks, I will check it out.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Texian

Post by Texian »

A Quick Update:
My inacitve accounts were reactivated today as Premium accounts. Premium are the free accounts for VIP subscribers.
They are planning to open up FTP to the general public/new subscribers next week. A large publish is scheduled for Tuesday, 9/27. Indications are the FTP will be available to all when that publish goes live Tuesday afternoon (PDT).

Premium accts have access to 2 default character slots on any server (except Exalted - VIP only server) and can be Villain, Hero or Praetorian.
Free accts default to a single character slot but otherwise same as Premium.
There are other restrictions but most can be lifted and additional character slots obtained with in-game purchases at the Paragon Market.

For those who want to try the game, enjoy the Free account - it's much better than a Free trial and there are no time limits on how long you play for Free.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Forgot COH had a global chat. I rolled a couple of new toons on Freedom and will be either there or on my controller main on Virtue if anyone wants to group up for a bit. My handle is @neuromancer
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sweet, reactivated my 2 old accounts for free play. What can you do with tokens?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter