Illness Incoming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Illness Incoming

Post by Isgrimnur »

Note to self. Next time the miniature wargame GM tells you that if he'd known how bad he'd feel that day, he would have canceled, thank him for his time, offer to reschedule and beat a hasty retreat.

The incubation period was under 48 hours. Sore throat this morning, gotten worse through work and the evening, now feels like swallowing glass. I informed my boss today from what is hopefully a safe distance that I would likely be missing some work this week.

:hawk:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Re: Illness Incoming

Post by stessier »

We've had a rash of flu and strep in my plant over the last month or so. There are like 7 divisions in the plant, and it has only been ours that has been effected. No one knows why - perhaps we are just friendlier than the rest?

Feel better soon!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thanks. I went to bed at 1 a.m. I then proceeded to wake up every 1-2 hours until managing the motivation to crawl out of bed at 5 p.m. ...yay...
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Isgrimnur wrote:Thanks. I went to bed at 1 a.m. I then proceeded to wake up every 1-2 hours until managing the motivation to crawl out of bed at 5 p.m. ...yay...
Go back to bed.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That is in my very near future. This has been some of the longest seven hours of my life.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Why in the blue hell are you posting on here instead of going to see a doctor? Are you becoming Daehawk? :twisted:
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not even close. :P It's a cold. I don't feel like being charged against my health fund for a full-priced office visit to be told to stay hydrated and get plenty of rest.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

You get colds where it feels like you're swallowing glass? Damn dude.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My tonsils are permanently swollen from too many bouts of infection. They're the first on the firing line. And yet the docs won't take them out.

They're feeling better this evening. Now it's all just head congestion and a sore nose from blowing it, with the occasional coughing fit.

And now I'm headed to bed.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote:My tonsils are permanently swollen from too many bouts of infection. They're the first on the firing line. And yet the docs won't take them out.

They're feeling better this evening. Now it's all just head congestion and a sore nose from blowing it, with the occasional coughing fit.

And now I'm headed to bed.
Doctors don't do tonsils anymore. My 21 year old daughter gets sick all the time, swollen tonsils etc., but the doctors just say it will be better in a couple days and send her home.
Black Lives Matter
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Your tonsils may be part of your immune system. The perspective now is that there's more potential for harm in removing them unnecessarily than in leaving them except in really dire cases.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

silverjon wrote:Your tonsils may be part of your immune system. The perspective now is that there's more potential for harm in removing them unnecessarily than in leaving them except in really dire cases.
I know that's the reason but tell that to my daughter......... :D
Black Lives Matter
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

I had my tonsils removed at age 7 after having three tonsil infections in three months. I have not had a sore throat since.

Fuck tonsils.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fuck tonsils.

I saw a new GP in June, who was stunned at the size of them and specifically asked me if they were bothering me. I told him that they weren't.

I was back in his office in July with tonsillitis. Cue 10 days of antibiotics, 3 pills a day.

I was back in his office two weeks ago for another round and swollen nodes under my jaw. Another bout of drugs, thankfully 2 per day. And a referral to an ENT. This bout created tonsil stones. Sharp, painful accretions at the back of the throat. I don't recommend Googling them.

I had my ENT visit on Tuesday. He took one look at them and told me I had two choices and stopped. Didn't say the words, didn't explain what the options were, just looked at me. I told him I was done with them and I wanted them out. Surgery is scheduled for the morning of the 30th, 6 a.m.

Today, they feel like I've golf balls at the back of my throat, 4 days after finishing the last round of drugs. I'll likely spend part of tomorrow at an urgent care clinic, getting yet another course of antibiotics to keep me attempting to carve them out of the back of my throat with a pocket knife.

Seriously. Fuck tonsils.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

OK, so I'm just OO surfing around till I do my OO homework and I stumble across
Isgrimnur wrote:Fuck tonsils... Seriously. Fuck tonsils.
What is a newbie to do? I'm trying to be cool, funny, cute, happy, upbeat, fair, kind, friendly... remembering that there is at least one mom here on the board. (dbt I need a halo smile please)
The urge to comment to Fuck tonsils feels like how the vampires reacted in the last episode for True Blood with all the vampires being pulled to the sun protection thingy (can't find a good visual link).

I'm actually questioning the calm, calculated, considerate responses to this tonsils thing.
Sorry you are not feeling well Isgrimnur, I'm just taken back by all the compassion and tonsil talk without pictures or wise remarks.

UGH! the 1st edit was my removal of an addition of an appreciation comment for the True Blood searches that caused me to watch a few interviews with Alex. And the second edit was to let you know that I removed that addition BUT wanted to let you all know why there were two changes that actually never happened.
Feels like Vizzini on The Princess Bride, the scene with the battle of the wits.
Last edited by KKBlue on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

How did I miss this?

Miniatures? Illness?

There's only one possibility.

They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

When my tonsils piss me off that much, it's time to self-sterilize with Brandy. Take that, tonsils!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Good luck! Insist they give you tetracaine lollipops ;).
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm waiting to hear the test results back to find out if I have Lyme diesase. I was out hiking in the woods two weeks ago, and just this Tuesday I found a bulls-eye rash developing on my stomach, and today I started with the flu-like symptoms. Should know by Monday if I have it for sure or not.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had my tonsils out when I was 5 in kindergarten circa 1974. It was Easter. I remember because my dad brought me a Easter basket and a bunny. I don't know if I stayed the night or not. I remember my mom having a migraine and throwing up in the bathroom. The kid in the bed beside me had been burned real bad with a steam iron. I think one of his parents did it to him on purpose but Im not sure. He had sheets tented over him and the curtain was always drawn. What times.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

KKBlue wrote:What is a newbie to do? I'm trying to be cool, funny, cute, happy, upbeat, fair, kind, friendly... remembering that there is at least one mom here on the board.
That mom raise MHS and Brian, aka Metalhed. I'm pretty sure you were safe with whatever comment you wished to make. She can take it. Just don't piss her off, I doubt I would get the blame but I'm not really willing to risk it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Remus West wrote:
KKBlue wrote:What is a newbie to do? I'm trying to be cool, funny, cute, happy, upbeat, fair, kind, friendly... remembering that there is at least one mom here on the board.
... I'm pretty sure you were safe with whatever comment you wished to make...
My timing is way off now... maybe some other time. I'm not good at retelling stories out loud either. My comment has been on my mind thought. When I was baking (making cookies for a picnic tomorrow) I was thinking about my post and wondering why I jumped into the gutter so fast and pigeonholed you men into wanting women to keep their tonsils for oral sex reasons. I've been told by doctors that my tonsils are big and beefy, then I read fuck tonsils and seems like my thoughts escalated from that point. I always wondered if there was a difference in feeling vs no tonsils (please don't answer that here, it's not meant to be a dangling carrot for this topic). So I guess that reading the comments and causal flow of the thread, I was surprised that no one had mentioned the importance of a sexual partner having tonsils and promptly posted a reply.

Of course rereading the topic, I am sorry for even posting... perhaps this is why lurkers stay quite, this way they don't have to back peddle. I apologize for doubting that you mature men could sustain a thread and keep it suitable for work. Guess I'm just that comfortable with you all and was surprised that I opened up the raunch door and took a step forward before anyone else.

Oh, and Remus said it was OK to speak freely :P
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

pfft. I'm not worried now. You had no reason to worry before, she is not going to ground either one of us for that story. 8-)

Anyway, I'd let you know on the whole tonsils there versus gone for oral sex except I don't know who did or did not have theirs.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I'd think tonsils are too far back to make a difference. Rather, gag reflex would trigger before you'd be able to notice anything.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Gah! Now I've got it. 101 degree fever, swollen tonsils and lymph nodes and swallowing feeling like consuming broken glass. It's an OO pandemic!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

...with a six month incubation period. :lol:

No worries, KK. Its very rare that something on the forums gets me bent out of shape. These threads have a way of taking on a life of their own, which is part of the charm of the board.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote:...with a six month incubation period. :lol:
Your reach is long and mighty, sir!
Isgrimnur

Illness Incoming

Post by Isgrimnur »

I finished my 3rd round of antibiotics on Monday. And I can already tell that, while they knocked the infection down, it is one again not out, as I can feel the swelling.

So I imagine I will be in pain tomorrow morning and working the phones yet again to have my doc prescribe me the FOURTH round of antibiotics leading up my surgery in a week.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fourth round of antibiotics started on Friday.

Baylor Medical called to get me to pay my portion of the bill. $1,366.81 paid for my surgery on credit. I have now hit, as far as Aetna is concerned, my out of pocket maximum of $3,000 dollars on medical expenses this year. $500 of that came from the company as part of my benefits.

Oh, as to the other aspect of this thread's conversation, I can tell you honestly that my gag reflect doesn't trigger until you get to the tonsils. :)
Isgrimnur

Illness Incoming

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tonsil are gone, man! And who knew that Jell-O could be that painful?
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Looks like you are trying to force-levitate your feet.

Recover quickly!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Or possibly phone home.

Good luck.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Are you familiar with Bill Cosby's sketch on getting them out? If not, look it up. (What else are you gonna do? :P) Thought it was hysterical when I was 10.

In the meantime - enjoy!

Enlarge Image
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

stessier wrote:Are you familiar with Bill Cosby's sketch on getting them out? If not, look it up. (What else are you gonna do? :P) Thought it was hysterical when I was 10.
I thought it was hilarious a week ago.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
UnicornPoint

Post by UnicornPoint »

Hope you feel better soon! As I was 4 when I had mine removed, I'm a little fuzzy on the recovery time :)
Odin

Post by Odin »

Feel better soon, Isgrimnur!
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Feel better soon. My brother had his out when he was older. The recovery time is much longer when you are older. Kids bounce back quicker. Hopefully having them out will put an end to your sore throats.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thanks, everyone. Discharged this morning. They even gave me a flu shot before discharge. Work note for out a week, plenty of hydrocodone and antibiotics. And the folks to keep me fed and hydrated.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Careful with the hydrocodone, Dr. House. Hope your recovery goes well.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Sectoid wrote:Feel better soon. My brother had his out when he was older. The recovery time is much longer when you are older. Kids bounce back quicker. Hopefully having them out will put an end to your sore throats.
And your mutant throat-teeth!!