[WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Conclusion

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Lagom Lite

[WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Conclusion

Post by Lagom Lite »

Let's try this again. :)

I've tweaked the rules to approach a more traditional WW. I haven't changed a lot though, since the ruleset did work out pretty well last time.

The major differences are:
* the baddies have no conversion power (because conversions sucks and aren't fun)
* the baddies have a baddie forum and there are three of them
* Gollum is boosted, and propped to play a balance game between good and evil

Full changelog in the third post. If you didn't read or participate in the first Fellowship game, I've linked to it in my sig.
Last edited by Lagom Lite on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 18 times in total.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Re: [WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - discussion, early signu

Post by Lagom Lite »

Fellowship of the Ring II

Many Meetings

Frodo woke and found himself lying in bed. At first he thought that he had slept late, after a long unpleasant dream that still hovered on the edge of memory. Or perhaps he had been ill? But the ceiling looked strange; it was flat, and it had dark beams richly carved. He lay a little while longer looking at the patches of sunlight on the wall, and listening to the sound of a waterfall.

”Where am I, and what is the time?” he said aloud to the ceiling.

”In the House of Elrond, and it is ten o’clock in the morning,” said a voice. ”It is the morning of October the twenty-fourth, if you want to know.”

”Gandalf!” cried Frodo, sitting up. There was the old wizard, sitting in a chair by the open window.

”Yes,” he said, ”I am here. And you are lucky to be here, too, after all the absurd things you have done since you left home.”

THE FELLOWSHIP

HOBBITS

Frodo

Starts with the One Ring. Immune to corruption. If Frodo controls the Ring at the start of the 7th Chapter, he must immediately pass it on to another (uncorrupted) Hobbit or to Gollum. Failure to do so causes the Servants of the Eye to win. Frodo is the only Hobbit that may re-possess the One Ring without succumbing to darkness.

3 Hobbits
Hobbits are unusually resilient to corruption. If they get control of the One Ring, they will resist corruption for one single Journey/Chapter cycle. Before the end of the following Journey/Chapter, they must pass the Ring to another player or become corrupted. They may never possess the Ring again or they will be instantly corrupted, with one exception: if they are passed the Ring in Chapter 7, they will not be corrupted. Instead, they will win the game with the Fellowship.

FREE PEOPLE

Aragorn

Aragorn may protect one player each Journey. Aragorn may not protect the same player two Journeys in a row. Protected players are immune to Hunts by Servants of the Eye. Aragorn will know which actions he managed to disrupt, if any (Kill, Capture). Aragorn will not disrupt an action that would otherwise fail. Aragorn may not protect Captured or Imprisoned players.

Gandalf
Gandalf may determine the nature of one player once per Journey. Frodo and the Hobbits will scan as Hobbits. Aragorn, Gandalf, Boromir and Warriors of the Free People will scan as Free People. Corrupted players, Uruk-Hai, Saruman and the Witch-King will scan as Servants of the Eye. Gollum will scan as Gollum.

Boromir
Boromir wants to bring the One Ring to his father Denethor, Steward of Gondor. He wins with the Servants of the Eye, not with the Fellowship. Each Journey, he may scan for Frodo. Boromir is misguided, but not corrupted, and counts as a Warrior of the Free People for the purpose of scans and ability to Hunt Some Orc.

3 Warriors of the Free People
Warriors of the Free People have a sacred task to protect the Ringbearer at any cost. They have no special power by themselves, but as long as at least one of the Free People (including Aragorn, Gandalf and Boromir) is alive the Fellowship has the ability to Hunt some Orc.

SERVANTS OF THE EYE

The Servants of the Eye have access to a secret forum in which to plot and coordinate. Register at http://ooww.freeforums.org/ and send me a PM to gain access to Spoiler and Servant forums.

Uruk-Hai
The Uruk-Hai are given command by Saruman to seek out and capture the Hobbits, alive and unspoiled, for they carry an Elvish weapon. Each Journey, the Uruk-Hai may Hunt one player. If target player is Free People, that player is killed. If target player is a Hobbit, Frodo or Gollum, that player is captured. Hunting may be disrupted by Aragorn. The Uruk-Hai is told if and what kind of action was disrupted by Aragorn (Kill, Capture).

Saruman
As a one-time ability, Saruman may choose to Imprison a player. He may do this at any time. Imprisoned players are removed from the game just as if they were Captured and are prohibited from using any special powers such as protections or scans. Any player, even Free People or Servants may be Imprisoned. Upon Saruman's death, Imprisoned players are freed. Imprisoned players may not be freed in any other way.
* If the Uruk-Hai is slain, Saruman inherits the capture/kill power.

Witch-King
Once each Journey, the Nazghul Witch-King of Angmar may search for the One Ring by targeting a player. The Witch-King will determine whether that player holds the One Ring or not. This action may not be disrupted by Aragorn.
* If both the Uruk-Hai and Saruman are slain, the Witch-King inherits the capture/kill power.

GOLLUM

Gollum
Gollum wants the Ring for himself, and he is accustomed enough to its wiles that he can withstand the desire to return it to its Lord. Gollum is immune to corruption (as we know it) and will hold the Ring without becoming a Servant of the Eye.
* As a one-time ability, Gollum and Steal the Ring from a player. If the target player is not a Ringbearer, the ability is wasted. Gollum cannot Steal the Ring from a Captured or Imprisoned player. Gollum may never pass the Ring to another player.
* As a one-time ability, Gollum may Guide a player. Guiding revives the player who was Appointed as Scout in the previous Chapter.
* Guiding or Stealing may only be used during Journeys. Neither action can be disrupted by Aragorn.

PASSAGE OF TIME

The goal of the game is getting through 7 days ("Chapters") of travel.

The ”Night” cycle is referred to as the ”Journey”.
The ”Day” cycle is referred to as a ”Chapter”.
The game starts with the first Journey, through Caradhras to the Doors of Durin.

Prologue: Rivendell. (Sign-ups, roles are handed out.)
Journey 1: Caradhras
Chapter 1: The Doors of Durin
Journey 2: Balin’s Tomb
Chapter 2: The Mines of Moria
Journey 3: The Bridge of Khazad-Dum
Chapter 3: Lothlorien
Journey 4: The Great River Anduin
Chapter 4: Rohan
Journey 5: Helm’s Deep
Chapter 5: Fangorn Forest
Journey 6: Isengard
Chapter 6: Minas Tirith
Journey 7: The Black Gate of Mordor
Chapter 7: The Cracks of Doom

Journey sequence of events:

Gollum guides.
Gollum steals.
Boromir scans
Gandalf scans.
Witch-King searches.
Aragorn protects.
Servants of the Eye hunts.

Chapter sequence of events:

Broadcast:
Which faction (Fellowship, Servants of the Eye, Gollum) controls the One Ring.
Which players are Captured.
Which players are Imprisoned.
Remaining players.
Display ”You may Hunt some Orc” if ”Hunt some Orc” is legal.

CHAPTERS

At the start of each Chapter, it will be broadcast which of the three factions control the One Ring (Fellowship, Servants of the Eye or Gollum). Note that simply capturing the Ring isn’t enough for the Servants of the Eye to win, they need to bring it to their Dark Lord. Gollum needs to possess the Ring at the end of the 7th Journey in order to win.

During a Chapter, the Fellowship must vote to Appoint ”(player name)” as Scout, alternatively ”Hunt some Orc” within ”accuse” tags. A majority vote is needed. Once a majority is reached, voting is closed. Captured players may not be Appointed as Scout, may not vote nor post in the game thread.

Being Appointed as Scout is a dangerous task, and will lead to the death of the player appointed (it’s the same as a standard lynch). The player’s faction is revealed (Free People, Hobbit, Servant of the Eye or Gollum). Corrupted Free People and corrupted Hobbits die as Servants of the Eye.

LET THE RINGBEARER DECIDE

A time limit is imposed on Chapters. If the time limit is exceeded, the player who currently has the Ringbearer's vote will be Appointed as Scout. If the time limit is exceeded without an active vote from the Ringbearer, the Ringbearer will be Appointed as Scout.

HUNT SOME ORC

Voting to ”Hunt some Orc” unlocks all captured players (but not Imprisoned players, see below) and ends the Chapter without a lynch. ”Hunt some Orc” is a legal vote only if any uncorrupted Free People remain AND there is at least one Captured Hobbit, Frodo or Gollum currently. Whether ”Hunt some Orc” is legal or not is displayed at the beginning of each Chapter.

CAPTURED OR IMPRISONED

Frodo, Gollum or the Hobbits may become Captured by the Servants. Until freed, a Captured player is forbidden to post or vote and may not be Appointed as Scout (lynched). If the Captured player is a Ringbearer, that player keeps the Ring until he is released. Possession of the One Ring is always considered to be with the Servants of the Eye faction in this case. If the Ringbearer is freed by Hunt Some Orc, however, and still uncorrupted the possession of the Ring goes back to whatever faction the Ringbearer has (Fellowship or Gollum). If all Servants are killed while players are captured, those players are not automatically freed. Goblins and orcs are considered to have run off with the little ones until the Fellowship have successfully Hunted some Orc.

Through the course of the game, a player may become Imprisoned by Saruman. Imprisoned players are removed from the game just as if they were Captured and are prohibited from using any special powers such as protections or scans. Imprisoned players may not be freed by Hunting Some Orc. The only way to release an Imprisoned player is to slay Saruman.

HEY, GANDALF, CATCH

Frodo and Hobbit Ringbearers may Pass the Ring to another player at any time by sending a PM to the Moderator specifying which player the Ring is to be given. The recipient of the Ring will be told the player name of the player who sent the Ring to him. Be careful about to whom you Pass the Ring! Only Hobbits can carry it without succumbing to darkness.
* Any Free People who are passed the Ring will be Corrupted immediately and ally with the Servants of the Eye.
* Any Hobbit other than Frodo or Gollum who is passed the Ring for a second time, or holds on to the Ring for more than one Journey/Chapter cycle, will be Corrupted immediately and ally with the Servants of the Eye.
* Corrupted players immediately gain access to the Servant secret forum. They lose whatever powers they used to have. Their victory condition change to that of the Servants of the Eye.
* The Ring may never be passed to a Captured, Imprisoned or dead player.
* If a Ringbearer is killed, he must immediately pass the Ring.

VICTORY CONDITIONS

The Fellowship wins if:
At the start of the 7th Chapter: The Ringbearer must pass the Ring to another, uncorrupted Hobbit (even if this Hobbit has previously held the Ring) or to Gollum for the Fellowship to destroy the Ring and win. Any other action results in a win for the Servants of the Eye. The targeted Hobbit is not corrupted even if he has held the Ring before, and will win the game with the Fellowship.

The Servants of the Eye wins if:
At the end of the 7th Journey: If the Servants of the Eye controls the One Ring, the Servants of the Eye wins.
At the start of the 7th Chapter: If the Ringbearer fails to pass the Ring on to another Hobbit or to Gollum, the Servants of the Eye wins.

Gollum wins if:
At the end of the 7th Journey: If Gollum controls the One Ring, he will win by running off with it to his secret lair, keeping it hidden for another few hundred years. If Gollum is passed the Ring at the start of the 7th Chapter, however, the Fellowship will win instead.
Last edited by Lagom Lite on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Changes from the first game:

* New role: Saruman. As a one-time ability, at any time, Saruman may choose to Imprison a player. Imprisoned players are treated like Captured players, except that any player, even Free People or Servants may become Imprisoned. Upon Saruman's death, Imprisoned players are freed. Imprisoned players may not be freed in any other way. If the Uruk-Hai is slain, Saruman inherits the capture/kill power.

* The Witch-King may no longer convert players. If both the Uruk-Hai and Saruman are slain, the Witch-King inherits the capture/kill power.

* The Servants of the Eye have access to a secret forum in which to plot and coordinate.

* Any Fellowship Ringbearer, not just Frodo, must pass the Ring in Chapter 7 to win.

* Aragorn may self-protect. He only protects against the Servant hunt (kill/capture).

* A Ringbearer facing death decides to whom the Ring is passed - no random redistribution.

* "Let The Ringbearer Decide" - a time limit is imposed on Chapters. If the time limit is exceeded, the player who currently has the Ringbearer's vote will be Appointed as Scout. If the time limit is exceeded without an active vote from the Ringbearer, the Ringbearer will be Appointed as Scout.

* Boromir may now scan for Frodo once per Journey.

* Gollum has a new special ability! Instead of searching for the Ring each Journey, he may try to steal the Ring as a one-time ability. In addition, he has the one-time ability of Guiding: During a Journey, Gollum may cancel the previous Chapter's Scout casualty.
Last edited by Lagom Lite on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

14 players.

1. Grundbegriff
2. redrun
3. theohall
4. Qantaga
5. bb2112
6. rhsetts2
7. Remus West
8. RMC
9. tru1cy
10. triggercut
11. Mr Bubbles
12. coopasonic
13. pr0ner
14. Newcastle
Last edited by Lagom Lite on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:04 am, edited 9 times in total.
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Oh, and feel free to comment and discuss. I know I'm out of sequence here so no rush to get this started.
Is there anyone in hell?

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

The road goes ever In and In,
Down from the forum where it began.
redrun

Post by redrun »

Grundbegriff wrote:The road goes ever In and In,
Down from the forum where it began.
It's a dangerous business, going out your door.
You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet,
there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

IN please.

I've read through the rule changes. I like the passing of the evil power. Imprisionment will be powerful, but I think it will balance - last game folks only wanted to hunt orc, but the more players left, the easier it is for Saurman for hide.
Sufficient I am to the day.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Speak friend, and enter.

Friend!
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

"Here is the Mirror of Galadriel," she said. "I have brought you here so that you may look IN it, if you will."
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Very interesting set of rules. I'm looking forward to it.

That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Sounds like fun Ill give it a go.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Someone has to get bb2112 killed. IN.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Remus West wrote:Someone has to get bb2112 killed. IN.
:shock:
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

bb2112 wrote:
In fairness, I meant someone other than yourself. :P
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
theohall

Re: Re: [WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - discussion, early s

Post by theohall »

Remus West wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
In fairness, I meant someone other than yourself. :P
 Remus West 

Don't even know if he is the Seer and already trying to kill him. ;)
RMC

Post by RMC »

In
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

in
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

In!
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

So, four more players and we're off!

A question to you all: What do you think of Gollum's Guiding ability? Too weird? Do you think it would be possible for Gollum to find a good use for it (given his status as his own faction)?

I could change it to something else. I don't mind him having a really powerful ability either, since he's all on his own and odds are against him anyway. If you think Gollum's ability should be changed, please suggest an alternative power.
Is there anyone in hell?

stessier

Post by stessier »

[Biased]

Death to anyone with furry feet!!!! Yessssss.

[/biased]
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

stessier wrote:[Biased]

Death to anyone with furry feet!!!! Yessssss.

[/biased]
:lol:

Thanks for the suggestion - that might be too powerful. ;)

Won't you join the game btw?
Is there anyone in hell?

Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

I was trying to resist, but what the heck count me in.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Mr Bubbles wrote:I was trying to resist, but what the heck count me in.
Same and I'll add that I totally don't understand the rules.

In!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

in.
Hodor.
redrun

Post by redrun »

Lagom Lite wrote:So, four more players and we're off!

A question to you all: What do you think of Gollum's Guiding ability? Too weird? Do you think it would be possible for Gollum to find a good use for it (given his status as his own faction)?

I could change it to something else. I don't mind him having a really powerful ability either, since he's all on his own and odds are against him anyway. If you think Gollum's ability should be changed, please suggest an alternative power.
Evil has little reason to leave Gollum alive, and strong reason to want him dead.
The only scanner is Gandolf, who is likely to want Gollum around.

So, Gollum can't publicly use the ability to bargain for his life. I'm don't see why he would ever use it (am I missing something?).

An alternative ability. He doesn't want anything that makes him look different than a hobbit - so no immunity to other folks actions (imprision, capture). He's a survivor - very hard to kill. Oxford would like to get a picture of him to use with the definition of sneaky. He made it through Moria on his own. He's very hobbit like.

On first scan by Gandolf, he scans as hobbit? Gandolf can scan again if he chooses, and will find the truth on closer examination?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

quit giving me the big puppy dog eyes stare!!!!
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

redrun wrote:Evil has little reason to leave Gollum alive, and strong reason to want him dead.
But evil can't actually kill Gollum, they can only capture/imprison him. It would be up to the Fellowship to risk letting him loose.

Alright, the roster is full. I'll start up shortly.

Qantaga, could you hand me the keys to the ooww.forum please?
Is there anyone in hell?

Qantaga

Re: [WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - signups closed

Post by Qantaga »

Keys sent.
Lagom Lite

[WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Prologue

Post by Lagom Lite »

Prologue - Rivendell

Next day Frodo woke early, feeling refreshed and well. He walked along the terraces above the loud-flowing Bruinen and watched the pale, cool sun rise above the far mountains, and shine down, slanting through the thin silver mist; the dew upon the yellow leaves was glimmering, and the woven nets of gossamer twinkled on every bush. Sam walked beside him, saying nothing, but sniffing the air, and looking every now and again with wonder in his eyes at the great heights in the East. The snow was white upon their peaks.

”I do not understand all this,” said Boromir. ”Why do you speak ever of hiding and destroying? Why should we not think that the Great Ring has come into our hands to serve us in the very hour of need?”

”You cannot wield it,” said Aragorn. ”None of us can.”

”What strength have we for the finding of the Fire in which it was made?” said Boromir. ”That is the path of despair, or folly I would say.”

”Despair, or folly?” said Gandalf. ”It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not. It is wisdom to recognize necessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false hope. Well, let folly be our cloak, a veil before the eyes of the Enemy! For he is very wise, and weighs all things to a nicety in the scales of his malice. But the only measure that he knows is desire, desire for power; and so he judges all hearts. Into this heart the thought will not enter that any will refuse it, that having the Ring we may seek to destroy it. If we seek this, we shall put him out of reckoning.”

”At least for a while,” said Elrond. ”The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere.”

Frodo glanced at all the faces, but they were not turned to him. All the Council sat with downcast eyes, as if in deep thought. A great dread fell on him, as if he was awaiting the pronouncement of some doom that he had long foreseen and vainly hoped might after all never be spoken. An overwhelming longing to rest and remain at peace by Bilbo’s side in Rivendell filled all his heart. At last with an effort he spoke, and wondered to hear his own words, as if some other will was using his small voice.

”I will take the Ring,” he said, ”though I do not know the way.”

Any player may, at any time, ask the moderator to clarify a rule by sending me a PM or by coloring the question red in the game thread. Feel free to PM me your thoughts and your plans, I will enjoy reading them.

Roles are randomized and sent out. The first Journey will begin as soon as everyone has received their role.

Good luck!
Is there anyone in hell?

rshetts2

Re: [WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Prologue

Post by rshetts2 »

alrighty then, checking in, ready to roll.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Servants of the Eye, I've put up your baddie forum at http://ooww.freeforums.org/ . Please let me know if there are any problems or you find that you lack access.

I've put up a spoiler forum for those of you who (irretrievably) die, and to those of you who are lurking in this thread. PM me if you want access.
Is there anyone in hell?

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lagom Lite wrote:Servants of the Eye, I've put up your baddie forum at http://ooww.freeforums.org/ . Please let me know if there are any problems or you find that you lack access.
For the sake of simplicity, post your issues accessing the baddie forum here. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
theohall

Post by theohall »

coopasonic wrote:
Lagom Lite wrote:Servants of the Eye, I've put up your baddie forum at http://ooww.freeforums.org/ . Please let me know if there are any problems or you find that you lack access.
For the sake of simplicity, post your issues accessing the baddie forum here. :)
I don't see anything there except the old forum. ;)
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am still at a convention, and flying Friday, but will be on as much as I can.

Sorry about the EZmate to begin.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
redrun

Post by redrun »

Lagom Lite wrote:Prologue - Rivendell

Next day Frodo woke early, feeling refreshed and well. He walked along the terraces above the loud-flowing Bruinen and watched the pale, cool sun rise above the far mountains, and shine down, slanting through the thin silver mist; the dew upon the yellow leaves was glimmering, and the woven nets of gossamer twinkled on every bush. Sam walked beside him, saying nothing, but sniffing the air, and looking every now and again with wonder in his eyes at the great heights in the East. The snow was white upon their peaks.

”I do not understand all this,” said Boromir. ”Why do you speak ever of hiding and destroying? Why should we not think that the Great Ring has come into our hands to serve us in the very hour of need?”

”You cannot wield it,” said Aragorn. ”None of us can.”

”What strength have we for the finding of the Fire in which it was made?” said Boromir. ”That is the path of despair, or folly I would say.”

”Despair, or folly?” said Gandalf. ”It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not. It is wisdom to recognize necessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false hope. Well, let folly be our cloak, a veil before the eyes of the Enemy! For he is very wise, and weighs all things to a nicety in the scales of his malice. But the only measure that he knows is desire, desire for power; and so he judges all hearts. Into this heart the thought will not enter that any will refuse it, that having the Ring we may seek to destroy it. If we seek this, we shall put him out of reckoning.”

”At least for a while,” said Elrond. ”The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere.”
Elves. :roll:

Do their eyes only see greatness in battle prowess? For evil may be powerful, but it shall never be great.

The ring must be destroyed, and those with the strength to carry out this task shall show greatness that even the elves must acknowledge.
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

theohall wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
I don't see anything there except the old forum. ;)
I see what you did there!
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Is it to soon to vote for bb2112?
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

"The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true."

(Checking in).
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Remus West wrote:Is it to soon to vote for bb2112?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Did anybody else just get a chill? And, um, are Remus's eyes supposed to glow like that?
Lagom Lite

[WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Journey 1

Post by Lagom Lite »

Journey 1 – Caradhras

It was a cold grey day near the end of December. The East Wind was streaming through the bare branches of the trees, and seething in the dark pines on the hills. Ragged clouds were hurrying overhead, dark and low. As the cheerless shadows of the early evening began to fall the Company made ready to set out. They were to start at dusk, for Elrond counselled them to journey under cover of night as often as they could, until they were far from Rivendell. With that the Fellowship left safety.

On the third morning of travel Caradhras rose before them, a mighty peak, tipped with snow like silver, but with sheer naked sides, dull red as if stained with blood. Laboriously they climbed a sharp slope and halted for a moment at the top. Grundbegriff felt a soft touch on his face. He put out his arm and saw the dim white flakes of snow settling on his sleeve.

They went on. But before long the snow was falling fast, filling all the air, and swirling into redrun’s eyes. The dark bent shapes of theohall and Qantaga only a pace or two ahead could hardly be seen.

”I don’t like this at all”, panted bb2112 just behind.

rshetts2 halted. Snow was thick on his hood and shoulders; it was already ankle-deep about his boots.

”This is what I feared,” said Remus West. ”What do you say now, RMC?”

”That I feared it too,” RMC answered, ”but less than other things.”

”I wonder if this is a contrivance of the Enemy”, said tru1cy.

”His arm has grown long indeed,” said triggercut, ”if he can draw snow down from the North to trouble us here three hundred leagues away.”

”Caradhras was called the Cruel, and had an ill name,” said Mr Bubbles, ”long years ago, when rumour of Sauron had not been heard in these lands.”

”It matters little who is the enemy, if we cannot beat off his attack,” said coopasonic.

”But what can we do?” cried pr0ner miserably. He was leaning on Newcastle and Grundbegriff, and he was shivering.

”Either stop where we are, or go back,” said redrun. ”It is no good going on. We will have to take another way.”

Players:
1. Grundbegriff
2. redrun
3. theohall
4. Qantaga
5. bb2112
6. rhsetts2
7. Remus West
8. RMC
9. tru1cy
10. triggercut
11. Mr Bubbles
12. coopasonic
13. pr0ner
14. Newcastle

Gollum, will you guide a player?
Gollum, will you steal from a player?

Boromir, will you scan a player?
Gandalf, will you scan a player?

Witch-King, will you scan a player?
Aragorn, will you protect a player?
Servants of the Eye, will you hunt a player?

Is there anyone in hell?