Illness Incoming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Illness Incoming

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ah, the double-edged sword of the stabbing pain when I swallow and the lightheadedness of the hydrocodone. Sleeping in 4-hour increments.

On the other hand, I'm getting to watch Game 4 of Rangers-Rays, followed the Apple release event, and wait for the UPS guy deliver Rage to me.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Re: Illness Incoming

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote:On the other hand, I'm getting to watch Game 4 of Rangers-Rays, followed the Apple release event, and wait for the UPS guy deliver Rage to me.
Rage, Rage, or Rage? :P

Hope you get at least a minimal amount of fun out of the forced time off. Feel better soon!

Footnote: I still have my tonsils, and every doc I've ever been to has called them "large" - they haven't caused any problems in my life, but if they ever do really swell up, it'll probably suffocate me.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The 360 version of the second one, as the PC version of the second one seems to be generating plenty of the third one.
Paingod wrote:Footnote: I still have my tonsils, and every doc I've ever been to has called them "large" - they haven't caused any problems in my life, but if they ever do really swell up, it'll probably suffocate me.
Isgrimnur wrote:I saw a new GP in June, who was stunned at the size of them and specifically asked me if they were bothering me.
Here's hoping they stay merely large and don't progress to actively trying to kill you.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just curious - how long is the pain supposed to last? Recovery is always the worst part but that kind of pain would really encourage me not to eat, which just adds to the grumpiness factor. I dread ever having to get this done (although I guess it's a lot better than them killing you and all).

Feel better soon! :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Illness Incoming

Post by Isgrimnur »

The day after, before cutting me loose, the doc gave me a work excuse to be out for a full week. The pain will still be around for another after that.

My pain meds are hydrocodone 10mg every 4 hours. 40 pill bottle with a refill available.

I get up every 4 hours to take the next one. Sleeping dried out the mess at the back of my throat, making swallowing painful. Once I have the pills in me and keep drinking fluids, especially stuff that films up like sugared iced tea, it's bearable, barely.
Isgrimnur

Illness Incoming

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blowing my nose is a delicate procedure, coughing is not recommended, raising my voice would be painful, and burping rattles things best left undisturbed.
stessier

Post by stessier »

How goes the recovery?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Back at work this morning. I've finally been able to sleep through the night for the last two without the pain waking me up to take another one. Yawning is an experience in pain, but swallowing isn't the horror show that it was. I was able to eat restaurant fare without difficulty the last two days.

Now comes trying to get caught back up at work. :grund:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If you can ignore the pain, does your throat feel any different? Just curious.

Good to hear that you're mending.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Illness Incoming

Post by Isgrimnur »

Feeling-wise, no. But when I gargle, I can definitely hear movement coming from place that it didn't before.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Isgrimnur wrote:Feeling-wise, no. But when I gargle, I can definitely hear movement coming from place that it didn't before.
Some newer surgical procedures include the installation of a small alien parasite that feeds on harmful bacteria as a way to prevent post-op infection. That's probably what you're feeling. It's still experimental and is mostly done in the Southwest, specifically in New Mexico and surrounding states.

Nothing to worry about. The parasite usually dies off on its own in 2-3 months.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D

Tonight's the first night that I haven't felt the need to crawl in bed early from fatigue in this back-to-work week of recovery. I quit the pain pills a couple days ago, as the residual pain is now less than 50% thing and getting better every day. And I had my first two beers since pre-surgery as well.

I will still wake up with a dry throat and some pain associated with it, and yawning is still not pleasant, but things are moving along nicely.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Glad to hear you're on the mend. This whole ordeal sounds pretty miserable.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think my older son was 3 when he had his tonsils and adenoids removed. He was seemingly fully recovered in under 48 hours.

When we took him to the ENT for a consult, he looked in the boys mouth and said, "Wow." They (no idea which are which) were flattened from pressing up against each other where they met in the center of my son's throat. He was a much happier boy after they were out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

So - back to normal yet? Inquiring minds.... :mrgreen:
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

stessier wrote:So - back to normal yet? Inquiring minds.... :mrgreen:
One can't return to where they have never been. :lol:

But some people around here are interested if you are feeling better and back to your regular routine.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I actually had a follow up with my surgeon this morning. He indicated that he had no restrictions for me based on what he'd seen. I told him about the pressure that I feel up at the top back of my throat, and he indicated that can occur, but normally resolves itself within 1-2 months after the fact.

So I'm well on the way back to a normal baseline. I'm going to try and work a trip to the gym in this week and see how that feels.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I have a head cold. It sucks. I was going to come whine about it in this thread, but I felt too crappy to search for it. But lo and behold, it appeared right back here on the main page. So here's my whine of the day.

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Isgrim!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: I'm going to try and work a trip to the gym in this week and see how that feels.
That's actually why I asked. I saw you still hadn't logged anything on Fitocracy and was coming in here to raz you but wanted to be sure I had Dr's clearance first. Seeing as I do - get thee to a gym!! :D
Isgrimnur

Illness Incoming

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D I've been stuck in the 240-5 range and really want to get out of it. But being slothful and not exerting control on my diet hasn't been helping.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Isgrimnur wrote::D I've been stuck in the 240-5 range and really want to get out of it. But being slothful and not exerting control on my diet hasn't been helping.
Please continue to be a slacker. I might get enough points to catch you if you do nothing for the rest of the year.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Wife and daughter were sick last week, so I knew I was in for it.

Spent all day Saturday lying on the couch huddled in multiple blankets, alternating between chills and burning up. 101 fever. I then had to go into work Saturday night from 8pm - 4:30am for a server migration I couldn't get out of.

Slept three hours, woke up Sunday feeling only marginally better. Spent most of the day sleeping and trying to ignore the pain when I swallowed.

Monday I worked from home, hoping to give myself one more day of rest and avoid spreading the plague to my office. Had a good day and showed remarkable improvement. By last night I was feeling pretty good and ready to go back to work.

At 3:00am I wake up with severe stomach cramps. Spent the next 5 hours alternating between both ends, if you know what I mean. Ugh.

Only bright side is that I have been able to catch up on my Fall TV. However, I'd gladly skip an entire season of television watching to avoid the decision of which orifice I need to expel from first to minimize chaos.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hooray! Meeting my out of pocket maximum means today's trip to the doctor for a sinus infection was free. :horse:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Allergies suck. Last night's issues were sufficient to mask the onset of a severe sore throat and lots of drainage today. Today has been miserable.

At least maintenance finally showed up to fix my broken toilet and I got my HDD sent off for RMA. Lunch at Fuddruckers was decent as well.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Went to see an opthamologist today for the first time in 7 years. My eyeglass Rx was desperately out of date because my eyes are getting better. Yep, I'm substantially less nearsighted than I was last time. At this rate I'll have natural 20/20 vision by the time I turn 130.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, a sore throat that started on Tuesday afternoon and hung with me through Wednesday has settled into a nice chest cold with wheezy bits, keeping me from taking the planned trip to the folks for Thanksgiving.

The fiancee is preforming the planned dinner with her mother, while I hide away in the office and try to stay out of the tension. If things go badly, at least there's plenty of alcohol in the house.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I woke up sneezing in the middle of the night. So bad no Thanksgiving with relatives. Not all bad I guess.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My wife has spent most of this week fighting a severe head cold. I started developing a sore throat last night.

This morning, I sent her this:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Arise!

A sore throat from last night persisted through this morning. As much as I wanted to blame it on the heater being on due to the cold weather, that isn't it.

A store trip has me nicely stocked with soup, pudding, and cough drops. Returning from the trip and addressing dog destruction on my return had me overheating.

Starting to snot up this afternoon. I'm going to blame being around all the people at the gaming convention.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh yeah...con crud is serious. I keep a gigantic bottle of hand sanitizer on me for the gaming convention I attend in the summer and I'm borderline OCD with monitoring what I touch and keeping my hands away from my face. Godspeed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote:Oh yeah...con crud is serious.
Con crud is the stuff I'm always daring Archinerd to eat. And he does!
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The lemonade I drank last night gave me a small ache in my throat with every swallow. By the time I went to bed, I was coughing on occasion. Today has gotten gradually worse with the soreness of the throat and the coughing. Told the boss I'd give him what I could from home for the next two days, but that I'd be taking some sick time.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Note to self: Don't invite Izzy to play PUBG right now for fear of giving computer a virus.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You do that, and I have to drop out of school.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have been fighting off a cold (started with possible strep throat) for the last week. Today I lost my voice. :(
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I hope you find it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:06 pm I have been fighting off a cold (started with possible strep throat) for the last week. Today I lost my voice. :(
Oh, so you're just getting started! Welcome to the growing club.

I'm more than 2 months into this. Still hacking up my lungs several times per day, and they seem to regenerate overnight, which is good I guess. Lots of sinus congestion. Kids manage to ooze twice their body weight in snot each and every day. The other night, my 4 year old started yelling at his cough because it was keeping him up hours on end. My wife is getting despondent...she wants to switch to overnight shift and remove the 4 year old from school (permanently) in an attempt to get him, and possibly the rest of us since he's the suspected disease vector, better. My wife and I have been suffering sinus headaches, and this plague has caused each of us to miss a couple of days of work over the past 2 months. About 6 weeks ago, she took the kids to the doctor and is doing so again on Monday. These being cold symptoms (lack of fever suggestions we're not suffering any systemic infections), there's not a lot he can do about it. Last time he suggested OTC allergy meds but that had no effect. It's unlikely all 4 of us would suddenly be allergic to the same thing anyway.
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

I work for the hospital that is having these issues. Lots of sick people this year.
Linky to Article on Flu

One of my offices is in the Elyria Hospital, so I am avoiding people like the plague while at that office. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:40 am My wife is getting despondent...she wants to switch to overnight shift and remove the 4 year old from school (permanently) in an attempt to get him, and possibly the rest of us since he's the suspected disease vector, better.
Out of school permanently? I know your wife is prone to dramatics, but that's quite the overreaction!
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Woke up this morning jittery from the drugs but well enough to come to work. Damn it.