Occupy Wallstreet people are Nucking Futs!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Little Raven

Re: Occupy Wallstreet people are Nucking Futs!

Post by Little Raven »

Linking arms is now considered an act of violence by police.
The videos taken by protesters, journalists and casual observers show UC Berkeley police and Alameda County sheriff's deputies in riot gear ordering students with linked arms to leave a grassy area outside the campus administration building Wednesday. When the students didn't move, police lowered their face shields and began hitting the protesters with batons.

University police say the students, who chanted "You're beating students" during the incident, were not innocent bystanders, and that the human fence they tried to build around seven tents amounted to a violent stance against police.

"The individuals who linked arms and actively resisted, that in itself is an act of violence," UC police Capt. Margo Bennett said. "I understand that many students may not think that, but linking arms in a human chain when ordered to step aside is not a nonviolent protest."
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sigh.
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

And this is the point where all the "partyers" will give up and go home. I'll be interested in seeing what happens to the movement and popular opinion now that they are dealing with real resistence.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Covenant72 wrote:And this is the point where all the "partyers" will give up and go home. I'll be interested in seeing what happens to the movement and popular opinion now that they are dealing with real resistence.
I'm more interested in finding out who authorized beating people with sticks for the crime of non-compliance. We both have something we're curious about!
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Civil Disobediance relies on these sorts of things happening, so the public at large will pay attention and force change. If nobody cares, then change can't happen.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

New ruling on OWS in New York.

Go get em, NYPD.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Violence does not mean what you think it means, Mr. Policeman.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Zarathud wrote:Violence does not mean what you think it means, Mr. Policeman.

The protesters who don't think things will turn violent are the ones who have never picked up a history book or read a newspaper.

Cops ask protesters to leave, protesters don't, cops react accordingly. Let the games begin.
They all know the rules. :|
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wonkette is suggesting that the various crackdowns nationwide were coordinate by Homeland Security. That certainly makes me...uncomfortable.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

"Hey man, watch the hair. And the $120 jeans. Hold on a sec while my buddy takes a pic on his iPhone!"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

$iljanus wrote:Image

"Hey man, watch the hair. And the $120 jeans. Hold on a sec while my buddy takes a pic on his iPhone!"
:?:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:Wonkette is suggesting that the various crackdowns nationwide were coordinate by Homeland Security. That certainly makes me...uncomfortable.
It's great practice.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

$iljanus wrote:Image

Guess that disabuses the myth that the protesters are unwashed, jobless, hippies.

Ale
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Alefroth wrote: Guess that disabuses the myth that the protesters are unwashed, jobless, hippies.

Ale
It would if I could understand where the caption comes from.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:
Alefroth wrote: Guess that disabuses the myth that the protesters are unwashed, jobless, hippies.

Ale
I'm with GG, that guy looks like an unwashed, jobless hippie.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

coopasonic wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

Ale
Looks more like someone living at home with their parents, or at least on their dime.

However, those are the people most affected by the actions of the 1% in this case. It's their futures that are being bankrupted by the 1% using their money to influence politics and regulation to benefit the 1%.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Now this is just making it way too easy for the police:

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Enough

Post by Enough »

Actually someone did a survey recently and found more OWS folks have jobs than Tea Partiers. And based on the age range of our local Tea sample being skewed heavily to ancient I'm not surprised.

Edit: and now I give you Twitter Tweet forensics on OWS and Tea Party postings.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

coopasonic wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

Ale
Is that what GG is saying?

Ale
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Pyperkub wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

Ale
Looks more like someone living at home with their parents, or at least on their dime.
How in the world do you come to that conclusion?

Ale
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Alefroth wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

Ale

Ale
It's his nephew.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Occupy Boston got a court injunction preventing the police from evicting them, at least until a Dec. 1 hearing.
While the city maintained in court that it had no current plans to evict the protesters, Judge Frances A. McIntyre said she was, for now, ruling in favor of the protesters to protect their right to express their views on public property.

“The abridgement of First Amendment rights is an irreparable crime,’’ McIntyre said. “The potential for irreparable harm to the plaintiff is very real.’’

“It’s beside the point, Your Honor, if the City of Boston has or has not done something yet,’’ Cooper said. “There is an imminent threat of the impairment of civil rights in the middle of the night.’’
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Alefroth wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

Ale

Ale
Sheer baseless speculation, what else?

Epic 4g/Tapatalk
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

New York had some call to action day after they evicted on tuesday. Now they are occupying subways too, since 1% is clearly riding those subways....

If this goes a little longer and into spring, since it just starting to get cold, this can get really nasty. I can see how at some points gangs will see it to their advantage to "support" a movement and use it as shroud, and violent crime will skyrocket. What annoys me is the people are complaying about jobs, yet college educated employment is 4.5% nation wide and if we look in Europe they are way way worse off. Spain, Greece, Itally they screwed bad. And here we have ignorant bunch running around crying me a river. I can see why in Arab countries they revolted, the standards of living there was autracious. But in US? really?! maybe government will just print out those jobs. I think protesters just have nothing to compare too, they should visit Russia just for giggles. yes life is not a picnic, but forgive all my college debt.... give us jobs.... ummm, i don't think government has that kind of magic powers. Welcome to global economy. We should note that our average standards of living are amazingly higher than any time before and yet we have this ignorance who find a way to blame "1%" excuse and make it a tangible by finding scape goat.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lol.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I am hoping for a wicked ass blizzard to hit the north soon. Then we will see how dedicated they are.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Rip wrote:I am hoping for a wicked ass blizzard to hit the north soon. Then we will see how dedicated they are.
Pretty damn dedicated considering they are already standing up to lightsabers!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Whoda guessed that OWS would start to focus on people who took out way too much debt in college and now think they have the right not to pay it back?

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011 ... s.facebook" target="_blank

Applebaum -- along with many of the protesters -- sees it differently. The notion of "good debt" is a lie, he says. "In the last 30 years, we've turned education into a commodity," he says. "We used to fund higher education through a series of grants and scholarships and savings. We've lied to a generation of Americans by telling them it's quote-unquote 'good debt.' We've sold them a bill of goods."
You know it. I've been saying that for years, even while I was still in college. So you bought the lie. I did too. What do you want done about it?

By the time I pay off my debt, I will have paid the government double what I borrowed
No shit Sherlock. By the time I pay off my house I will have paid the banks 2.5 times what I borrowed. That's how it works. Maybe you or your parents should have considered this before taking the loans.

If we start giving away higher education and room and board to pursue it, I'm quitting my job tomorrow, walking away from my mortgage, and going back to school.

It's like they want me to become teapartier, just to say "why don't you just fuck off"? I think the last bit of empathy I had for this group has worn down to the knuckle. Everything they put in front of me is beginning to get under my skin.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for those paying back student loans either, but you seem to have a particular dislike for them, LM. Which is fine, I guess, just noteworthy. I'm not sure why you think the OWS movement should be judged by the people who's situations are they ones you hate, but we all have our prejudices.

Of course I live in a country with heavily subsidized universities, so while there is a bill for attending university (and it is substantial) it's not normally as much as a mortgage, so my perspective is probably skewed.

The various protests around Canada are all about to get a simultaneous boot off the properties they are occupying, as the various governments with jurisdiction in each city announce they intend to put an end to the protests, or at least evict the protesters.

Might be interesting, but more likely just anti-climatic.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Fox News says in response to UC Davis pepper-spraying,
Pepper spray, that just burns your eyes, right?” O’Reilly asked Kelly.

“Right,” Kelly said. “I mean, its like a derivative of actual pepper. It’s a food product, essentially.”
Now that I know it's food grade, I can't wait for Friday night when some friends and I are going to pepper-spray our eyes for kicks.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

"that just burns the eyes, right?"

Lol. Who the hell thinks burning their eyeballs is a harmless action? There's a reason it fucking hurts, even if full recovery is possible.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I haven't been following the Occupy Edmonton movement much, but the park they've occupied is actually privately owned. The company tolerated them for over a month, I believe, but has now served them with an eviction notice. Local police have said they're not going to remove the protestors.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I think we can turn to Jean Chretien for a few choice words on pepper spray and protestors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWf2LLaHkM0" target="_blank
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote:I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for those paying back student loans either, but you seem to have a particular dislike for them, LM. Which is fine, I guess, just noteworthy. I'm not sure why you think the OWS movement should be judged by the people who's situations are they ones you hate, but we all have our prejudices.

Of course I live in a country with heavily subsidized universities, so while there is a bill for attending university (and it is substantial) it's not normally as much as a mortgage, so my perspective is probably skewed.

The various protests around Canada are all about to get a simultaneous boot off the properties they are occupying, as the various governments with jurisdiction in each city announce they intend to put an end to the protests, or at least evict the protesters.

Might be interesting, but more likely just anti-climatic.
Day or Rage started out with the big complaint that they weren't getting press. I sympathized with that. The message before press happened was Wallstreet is corrupt and the shortsighted pursuit of a corrupt wallstreet sleeping with Congress is destroying this country and we need to change. I empathize with that. OWS quickly splintered in to those beefs... and drum circles... and people complaining about their mortgages... and people complaining about paying for higher education and having too much debt before they've even started life. This complaint came to forefront. So much so that our Federal government moved toward increasing the hand outs of more free college money, something Obama has already been doing like crazy. And as time goes on the press OWS wanted is focusing more on this message. And the people who back OWS support this press and this message and this press, so that's what is reaching me, what they hold up as example of the change we need politically in this country makes blood boil and I am very much reactionary in my opinion. I found myself getting more and more liberal as grow older. But the political environment of the last three years has reversed all of that, even as I despise the republican party (of no).

In short and less rambling mode, the "I don't want to pay back my loan" crowd are the only ones that have shown to be effective at all and they've been effective in ways that I don't like. They want to be rewarded for their gullibility and short sighted approach to life. Much like the people they are protesting. And they're winning. And while they're winning, they still cry "victim."...

OK maybe that wasn't less rambling... This does appear to be the hill I'll die on.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

I don't really disagree too much, but it's telling that universities are the largest shareholders on wall street. Well, except California Teachers.
Universities are a racket, and we just keep feeding them unprepared and inappropriate freshmen.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh, yeah, pepper spray is harmless. Except to all those pasty, white kids with asthma:
My own purpose here is to focus on the dangers of a high level of capsaicin exposure. But as pointed out in the 2004 paper, Health Hazards of Pepper Spray, written by health researchers at the University of North Carolina and Duke University, the sprays contain other risky materials:
Depending on brand, an OC spray may contain water, alcohols, or organic solvents as liquid carriers; and nitrogen, carbon dioxide, or halogenated hydrocarbons (such as Freon, tetrachloroethylene, and methylene chloride) as propellants to discharge the canister contents.(3) Inhalation of high doses of some of these chemicals can produce adverse cardiac, respiratory, and neurologic effects, including arrhythmias and sudden death.
The more worrisome effects have to do with inhalation – and by some reports, California university police officers deliberately put OC spray down protestors throats. Capsaicins inflame the airways, causing swelling and restriction. And this means that pepper sprays pose a genuine risk to people with asthma and other respiratory conditions.

And by genuine risk, I mean a known risk, a no-surprise any police department should know this risk, easy enough to find in the scientific literature. To cite just three examples here:

1) Pepper Spray Induced Respiratory Failure Treated with Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation

2) Assessing the incapacitative effects of pepper spray during resistive encounters with the police.

3) The Human Health Effects of Pepper Spray.

That second paper is from a law enforcement journal. And the summary for that last paper notes: Studies of the effects of capsaicin on human physiology, anecdotal experience with field use of pepper spray, and controlled exposure of correctional officers in training have shown adverse effects on the lungs, larynx, middle airway, protective reflexes, and skin. Behavioral and mental health effects also may occur if pepper spray is used abusively.

Pepper spray use has been suspected of contributing to a number of deaths that occurred in police custody. In mid-1990s, the U.S. Department of Justice cited nearly 70 fatalities linked to pepper-spray use, following on a 1995 report compiled by the American Civil Liberties Union of California. The ACLU report cited 26 suspicious deaths; it’s important to note that most involved pre-existing conditions such as asthma. But it’s also important to note a troubling pattern.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Combustible Lemur wrote:Universities are a racket, and we just keep feeding them unprepared and inappropriate freshmen.
I don't know if they are but it sure seems like they are. I figure in Michigan universities are a lot like the health care system. You never see how much they cost because a resident takes 50% right off the top. Then if you actually belong in college, you get free money for doing well on the ACT. Then you apply for financial aid based on need. Then you begin going to the Fed for subsidy and tax breaks and credits. Then if you can demonstrate need you can a chunk of your loan forgiven. Then the universities beg for money from the alumni.

And yet the teachers at the universities make very little and the universities play games to keep them from making money according to their work the way WalMart would.

As to feeding on freshman, that's a cultural thing that needs to change. That needs to start with parents and secondary schooling. Nothing to be done for the suckers who have gone through the system. We paid our dues, we took our chances and quite frankly we got a lot for the money we put in out of pocket, or we should have anyway.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

LordMortis wrote:In short and less rambling mode, the "I don't want to pay back my loan" crowd are the only ones that have shown to be effective at all and they've been effective in ways that I don't like. They want to be rewarded for their gullibility and short sighted approach to life. Much like the people they are protesting. And they're winning. And while they're winning, they still cry "victim."...

OK maybe that wasn't less rambling... This does appear to be the hill I'll die on.
Getting pepper sprayed in the face is a strange definition of "winning." And what specific new legislation has passed in response to OWS? Or to increase the "crazy" student loan give-aways? I just don't see the facts justifying your reactions.

I don't understand the vilification of unemployed college graduates. Why does having expectations for your future after going to college make you gullible and short-sighted? They're collectively not CHOOSING to be unemployed or living at home. That's the bad economy at work.

In my view, the cry is "I cannot find a job to earn money to pay back my loan." U.S. education policy has assumed employment demand for the college educated.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

According to the DOL, if you're over 25, there's a > 95% demand for college graduates. So I guess they just need to wait four years...? :wink:

Even so, I worked at the same company for 4.5 years of schooling, graduated right after the dot com bust, and spent another 4 years there, never making more than $11/hour. I got the work experience to make myself a valuable commodity by working in jobs that I was "over-educated" for until such time as I could get my first "big boy" job four years ago at the age of 31.

Yes, the economy is bad, and there are a lot of career fields, especially those that rely on government money, that are seeing the retrenchment that my industry weathered in 2000. And I do have sympathy for them, but I don't see these protesters being willing to sign up for WPA-style jobs even if the government offered them as a dual-targeted solution to unemployment and addressing infrastructure needs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Zarathud wrote: I don't understand the vilification of unemployed college graduates. Why does having expectations for your future after going to college make you gullible and short-sighted? They're collectively not CHOOSING to be unemployed or living at home. That's the bad economy at work.

In my view, the cry is "I cannot find a job to earn money to pay back my loan." U.S. education policy has assumed employment demand for the college educated.
Or are they not willing to take jobs that are available? Did they not get a marketable degree? Are they not willing to relocate? Is it very regional?

Conventional wisdom has always said that in a downturn, the old and expensive get laid off for the young and cheap.

Is this one of the other things that is different this time?

I don't know, but I'm skeptical that overall there aren't jobs available for college grads. They might not be at the pay they want. Might not be the job they want. But in a 95% employment (college grads) situation, I find it difficult to believe it's impossible to find a job.

I know we did some interviews recently, and were horrified at the prospect of hiring what was available. Luckily we got a competent person just before we settled on the least bad candidate. Granted it's a more technical field, and I'm not generalizing, but I'd like to see some real data/research either way.

Regardless, how many months is this going on, and we still don't know what they are protesting. What is it that would satisfy them and let them go home?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog