Stargate: Universe

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Stargate: Universe

Post by dbt1949 »

I start watching most all of the svfy shows when they first come out. Usually they last for a season at most for me. Stargate Universe is kind of that way for me, altho I did watch most of the second season. Once again the lack of PR has made me miss the beginning of another season.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Odin

Post by Odin »

dbt1949 wrote:I start watching most all of the svfy shows when they first come out. Usually they last for a season at most for me. Stargate Universe is kind of that way for me, altho I did watch most of the second season. Once again the lack of PR has made me miss the beginning of another season.
Yeah, the first episode of season 2.5 came and went and for some reason my TiVo season pass was set to record SGU on some other channel that's only showing first-season repeats, so I missed it. I'll more than likely just record the whole season, hopefully pick up the first episode as a repeat sometime, and then watch them all at once.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

OK, I liked this episode a lot more than the previous. They even managed to dip into that oft used well of sci-fi, time-travel (a 2nd time in 2 seasons for them as well!) but did it in an interesting way. Some excitement, some good moments... I loved Rush's reaction when Col. Young offhandedly mentions he'll be staying with him if there's enough volunteers, etc. I did think it silly that they can "fix" the ship simply by stripping the copy Destiny of assorted fuses and gizmos but it was a decent solution to the problem setup in the previous episode.

Again, I'm sad to see this one go. I still think they spent just a few too many early episodes stuck on a dark ship fretting about power and life support and didn't get to the "good" stuff sooner and thus turned away a lot of folks.
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

Daveman wrote:OK, I liked this episode a lot more than the previous. They even managed to dip into that oft used well of sci-fi, time-travel (a 2nd time in 2 seasons for them as well!) but did it in an interesting way. Some excitement, some good moments... I loved Rush's reaction when Col. Young offhandedly mentions he'll be staying with him if there's enough volunteers, etc. I did think it silly that they can "fix" the ship simply by stripping the copy Destiny of assorted fuses and gizmos but it was a decent solution to the problem setup in the previous episode.

Again, I'm sad to see this one go. I still think they spent just a few too many early episodes stuck on a dark ship fretting about power and life support and didn't get to the "good" stuff sooner and thus turned away a lot of folks.
Well, she's gone, Jim.

And they ended how they began,
Spoiler:
fretting about power and life support with Eli saving everyone's life.
I'm going to be terribly unhappy if something can't come of this. I am aware of the other thread covering this, but I'm disappointed. There were some poignant moments in the last episode, but they really relied on just a few actors to carry it. I really hope the fans out there demand something. Even if it's another direct-to-dvd.
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'd like to get some closure from this show but this is as good a way to end it as any.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Yeah... ending with a cliffhanger, even a fairly poignant one, was a great way to end things :roll:
Spoiler:
Right up till the end credits, I kept holding out hope, once it was clear they were going for the carbon-freeze journey, that the episode would end with them being woken up by a crew from Earth, who finally found a way to dial up Destiny *and* get them back. Wouldn't have come close to wrapping up the show but it would have at least gotten the crew back safely, with the possibility of continuing on with the mission. No such luck.
As of now there's nothing I watch on SyFy, and it'll take something really, really good to get me back.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

It was a cliffhanger of sorts, but at least it wasn't one where the ship was about to be destroyed by hostile aliens. I guess I can be grateful for that. But it still sucks that they got rid of the only show on their channel that I actually looked forward to lately.

In fact, I think it is the last of their serious sci fi shows. Too bad. Maybe someone else will pick up the slack.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If only there was a channel that was devoted to providing science fiction to the masses...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daveman wrote:Yeah... ending with a cliffhanger, even a fairly poignant one, was a great way to end things :roll:
Spoiler:
Right up till the end credits, I kept holding out hope, once it was clear they were going for the carbon-freeze journey, that the episode would end with them being woken up by a crew from Earth, who finally found a way to dial up Destiny *and* get them back. Wouldn't have come close to wrapping up the show but it would have at least gotten the crew back safely, with the possibility of continuing on with the mission. No such luck.
I was lukewarm toward this show right up until the last 5-6 episodes (which I just watched this week). I felt that the characters were finally coming into focus and several story arcs were starting to mesh. I'm going to miss it a lot more than I expected.
Spoiler:
Since it unexpectedly had to end, I like the ambiguity combined with closure. We see the ship power down, implying that Eli's out of time. We see him looking rapturous on the observation deck. Did he fix the chamber? Or is he at peace with making the sacrifice? We don't know.

Since it's my understanding that they didn't know this would be the series finale, it's a pretty safe bet that Eli fixed the chamber. But even that's not certain; the last visit with his mom and Rush's expression of respect both seemed to foreshadow his death. Or did he upload his consciousness into Destiny's mainframe to be with Gin?

Dammit, we'll never know.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Isgrimnur wrote:If only there was a channel that was devoted to providing science fiction to the masses...
That would be amazing!
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

In the beginning this show was a chore to watch just like Battlestar Galactica. Interesting premise and characters but its drama bordered on the tedious. But pretty soon the character conflicts started to really work and while this show was no where near as good as SG1. In my book it started to be way better the BSG. And unlike BSG, I wasn't able to save up 4 or 5 shows and have a weekend marathon. I typically had to get to the show the next day (DVR). And BTW, I still save up 2 or 3 Doctor Whos before I get to them. In any event, I was shocked a few back back when they started pro-moing the "Series" ending finale. I am really going to miss this show.

As far as the actual series finale. It was actually one of the better efforts in my book. Not quite a resolution but considering they are traveling on an eons old spaceship, what really could be a fitting end for the puny humans aboard a literal galactic starship called the Destiny? I was good with how they ended the show. Perhaps we might even get a couple of mini series. (A Universe is far more worthy than Atlantis)

As far as Syfy network - I look at anything on there like a pet fish. Enjoy it while you can because typically, it will not last a long time.
AKA: Dajjer
Davidbld

Post by Davidbld »

Whats up with Hulu and this show?...for a while there was nothing, then all of a sudden they put up like 4 episodes a couple weeks ago, then nothing again. I think there up to ep 15 or 16, how many episodes are there total this final season? Hulu has some strange scheduling sometimes.

Dave
No matter where you go...there you are...
Odin

Post by Odin »

Okay, so I finally finished this series. The ending wasn't bad - certainly better than a lot of canceled series get. The last half-season was pretty good, but still not "wow that was great!!" Which pretty much describes my feelings about the series in general - it was good, even pretty good, and every once in a great while it was great, but mostly not. I'm glad I watched it, I enjoyed watching it, and I suppose I'd continue to watch it if it were still on, but I can't say I'll especially miss it. Of course, I REALLY liked SG-1 and I don't exactly miss it, either, so maybe that's not a significant indicator of quality.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The sad part is that it was improving as it went along. A lot of sf series that we consider classic now got off to weak starts. DS9, anyone?

I don't know if SG:U would have ever risen to that level if given a couple more seasons, but it was on a good path.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Kraken wrote:The sad part is that it was improving as it went along. A lot of sf series that we consider classic now got off to weak starts. DS9, anyone?

I don't know if SG:U would have ever risen to that level if given a couple more seasons, but it was on a good path.
That's a good point. At the rate it was going, I suppose it's plausible that it would have gotten into its groove at some point.

On the other hand, I can't completely agree. For the entire final half-season, the main conflict (beyond their usual lack of supplies) were the drones - a force of automated, apparently self-replicating robot ships that had made it their personal mission to hunt and destroy the Destiny. Which is pretty much exactly like the Replicators from the older SG-1 series (except that the Replicators were worse, because the SG-1 characters had WAY more resources, friends, and scope for the writers to deal with in order to create a credible threat.). That struck me as lame and lazy, and while it's nice to have a recurring enemy, this one wasn't all that interesting and felt more like a plot device than an engaging storyline.

On yet a third hand, the way they used time-travel, which I initially thought was lame (the episode with the 2 Rushs and the 2 Colonel Whats-his-faces was just not, IMO, very good), ended up being pretty cool.

So I can't rule out that the show might have blossomed into an awesome thing, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought SG Universe was a bit better than SG and miles ahead of SG Atlantis. For one thing, it didn't try to emulate the Star Trek Worf syndrome in which one hulking, brutish character who's tough as nails and is blissfully unaware of how to act around humans but yet has a heart of gold is introduced into the cast. For that, it gets my respect.
Covfefe!
Odin

Post by Odin »

hepcat wrote:I thought SG Universe was a bit better than SG and miles ahead of SG Atlantis. For one thing, it didn't try to emulate the Star Trek Worf syndrome in which one hulking, brutish character who's tough as nails and is blissfully unaware of how to act around humans but yet has a heart of gold is introduced into the cast. For that, it gets my respect.
Did you somehow neglect to notice Sgt. Greer? Because he absolutely was that character.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I, for one, miss the show since I liked the attempt at realism with being alone in space without a steady supply of food and water. No food replicators here. Near the end, I thought SG-1 started not to take itself very seriously and verged a bit on parody. I didn't really get into Atlantis since it started always revolving around Rodney or whatever his name may be.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Odin wrote:
hepcat wrote:I thought SG Universe was a bit better than SG and miles ahead of SG Atlantis. For one thing, it didn't try to emulate the Star Trek Worf syndrome in which one hulking, brutish character who's tough as nails and is blissfully unaware of how to act around humans but yet has a heart of gold is introduced into the cast. For that, it gets my respect.
Did you somehow neglect to notice Sgt. Greer? Because he absolutely was that character.
a) he was human
b) they actually explained his gruff manner through an examination of his childhood instead of just saying, "Oh, he's an alien that's why he acts gruff!".

Both SG and SGA had the standard alien Worf clone.
Covfefe!
Odin

Post by Odin »

hepcat wrote:
Odin wrote:
a) he was human
b) they actually explained his gruff manner through an examination of his childhood instead of just saying, "Oh, he's an alien that's why he acts gruff!".

Both SG and SGA had the standard alien Worf clone.
Being genetically modified, you could make the argument that Teal'c wasn't purely human. Ronon Dex was, however, and his background/history were extensively examined. I don't think he was any more "blissfully unaware of how to act around humans" than Greer was. He'd just had an even rougher life.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Ronan character was an alien. He wasn't born on earth. Worf clone. Same with Talcum. I thought they both were just blatant attempts to use the same formula as Star Trek.
Covfefe!
Odin

Post by Odin »

hepcat wrote:The Ronan character was an alien. He wasn't born on earth. Worf clone. Same with Talcum. I thought they both were just blatant attempts to use the same formula as Star Trek.
You wrote:
one hulking, brutish character who's tough as nails and is blissfully unaware of how to act around humans but yet has a heart of gold
That not only doesn't specify whether the character is human or non-human, it doesn't even specify a point of origin. Ronon Dex was human. He was born on another planet, but he was 100% human. He was actually much more similar to Greer than to Worf (or Teal'c, for that matter). Your argument works better with Teal'c, but not Ronon.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sorry, I should've specified "alien" but thought that was implied by calling it the "worf syndrome".

Ronan is an alien. The wiki is very clear on this. He was not born on earth and is from what seems to be a Klingon rip off culture.

To be fair, my beloved Farscape had the same problem. Dargo was obviously the Worf character. so much so that I refused to watch the show at first.
Covfefe!
Odin

Post by Odin »

hepcat wrote:Sorry, I should've specified "alien" but thought that was implied by calling it the "worf syndrome".

Ronan is an alien. The wiki is very clear on this. He was not born on earth and is from what seems to be a Klingon rip off culture.

To be fair, my beloved Farscape had the same problem. Dargo was obviously the Worf character. so much so that I refused to watch the show at first.
I misunderstood. When you said "alien" I thought you were referring to his species, not his immigration status. He's still more similar to Greer than to Worf.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Damn it... I saw this thread float to the first page and thought maybe, just maybe, there was news of some sort... a straight-to-DVD movie or something. *sigh*

As I've said before and has been said recently, it was a decent to good show that was steadily improving. I'm still sad it's gone.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A big if, but...
We already knew former producer Brad Wright, who helped shape the franchise across the runs of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe, had been working on a pitch for a new Stargate show the past year or so with studio MGM. But Hollywood is notoriously slow right up until it’s not, and we haven’t had much news lately. But we can take solace that things are, apparently, still chugging along behind the scenes.
Specifically, Mallozzi noted that fans would get “answers” to the big cliffhanger ending that wrapped the franchise proper, with the final season of Stargate: Universe closing out with the ship jumping off into parts unknown.

He also addressed the question of where the potential project might air, if it eventually makes it to screen. It sounds like that’s still one of the big unknowns with the project, with Mallozzi adding fans would need to subscribe or tune in to whichever streaming service or network pulls the trigger (if one eventually does).
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/stargate- ... ithin-sg-1
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Still haven't seen Universe or finished Atlantis. I don't even think I finished SG-1, though I loved the early seasons. But it's been nine years... I think it's time for Stargate: The Next Generation. Battlestar Galactica style, not something you'd see on CW. Five-season commitment.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Loved SG-1 and Atlantis. Didn't give 2 shits for Universe. Should have kept Atlantis another 4 years or so. You 'might' be able to bring back Atlantis but thats very doubtful. Id love SG-1 back but its too late for that with the actors being too old and some passed on. Still strange to say SG-1 actors are too old. If I dont think on it it doesn't seem that long ago.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m the exact opposite. SG and SG Atlantis didn’t appeal to me because they felt like cheap retreads of previous sci fI shows. The stories always struck me as silly, to boot.

Universe on the other hand felt more mature. They eschewed the sillier aspects (mostly) and concentrated on harder sci fi and the human experience.

I would love to see Universe return. The other ones? Not so much. Although I can see the casting call now for SG and SG Atlantis. Needed: one klingon type character, one Captain Kirk type character, etc..
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think I watched Universe. I don't think I ever saw the earlier shows. I think I saw the movie, though.

Was that the one where they could somehow communicate instantly over thousands of light years by switching bodies because they had magic stones or something? Because that was just dumb.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I remember they had some alien stones that allowed you to link your mind to another in Universe, and I guess that was from the original series. I don’t remember it from the movie though.

I can think of far dumber things, so it didn’t bother me that much.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Both Universe and SG-1 had stones.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

As much as the Stargates explored hard sci-fi and implemented real scientific concepts, they also leaned heavily into science fantasy and "magic as technology". Which makes sense given the whole ancient aliens thing. While the gates nicely circumvent the "space is immeasurably vast" problem, I think there are always going to be elements that don't hold up if you think about them. Unless you're going rigid hard sci-fi, it's a necessary sacrifice for the sake of storytelling. Even something like The Expanse makes some leaps.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I actually enjoy SG-1 because it is less mature. There are plenty of heavy, serious shows out there. These days there are far fewer shows that bring that action movie 'fun' element. The 80s and early 90s were full of them, and while it was too much then, just like there are too many super-serious, convoluted plot-driven serial shows now. They are intriguing and engaging, but they're not really 'fun.' Sometimes it's fun to be able to watch something that's relaxing instead of intense.

Don't get me wrong. I love deep, serious, believable, 'mature' shows as well. But I don't want nothing but. That's the problem with the networks chasing the trends. They tend to focus on one or two things to the exclusion of everything else until everybody gets burned out on it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

One of the things I disliked about SG-1 and Atlantis was the nanobots. I hope they can keep them out of Universe.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I liked the humor of SG1 and Atlantis. They usually, IMO, didn't affect the stories themselves (I could imagine the same stories on a more serious minded show, although there are certainly a few exceptions), but made the show much more entertaining (especially the double acts like Jack and Daniel or Daniel and Vala).

Universe felt completely different. Not just a lot less humor, but also the structure of the show - stories were longer, the universe was a lot emptier, there were few civilizations to be met, etc, and there was also a lot of infighting. I still liked the show, especially over time, but it wasn't as good a series as the first two.