Rich Laporte

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

MindToyGames

Re: Rich Laporte

Post by MindToyGames »

I dealt with him for a bit when I bought some advertising from him for my game site, very nice guy (gave me a discount off their normally crazy rates), very cordial in my 5-6 email exchanges with him. Not to mention that month my sales were triple normal. I miss GG. :)
Derek - Wayward Indie Game Designer/Doer of Many Things/CEO, SimProse Studios
My Steam Developer Clubhouse: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/simprose
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was actually going through my old email archives and found that the first email I sent to Rich was during the weekend of 9/9/2001 -- I thanked him for pointing me towards Dark Age of Camelot.

He replied on the evening on 9/10/2001.

Crazy.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote:I was actually going through my old email archives and found that the first email I sent to Rich was during the weekend of 9/9/2001 -- I thanked him for pointing me towards Dark Age of Camelot.

He replied on the evening on 9/10/2001.

Crazy.
Did he say to stay clear of Manhattan?
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

zinckiwi wrote:Wow... "Value of the Week" sure dates it:
These include: Electronics Boutique, CompUSA, Software Etc., Best Buy, OfficeMax, Staples, Circuit City and others
Absorbed, Dead, Dead, Alive, Alive, Alive, Dead.
And Circuit City is alive in name only. They died in 2009...then someone bought the rights to their name (and it's now an online only retailer AFAIK, no B&M stores)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
These include: Electronics Boutique, CompUSA, Software Etc., Best Buy, OfficeMax, Staples, Circuit City and others
And Circuit City is alive in name only. They died in 2009...then someone bought the rights to their name (and it's now an online only retailer AFAIK, no B&M stores)
Tiger Direct. Who, oddly enough, does have a B&M presence called "CompUSA". I know because I'm going there today to check out a cheap LCD TV.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

That should be:

Absorbed, Dead, Renamed, Alive, Dying, Alive, Dead. :P

Software, Etc. is the predecessor to that lovely PC hating store Gamestop (resulted from the merger of Babbage's and Software, Etc.).

I was just thinking about Rich the other day, wondering if he was still kicking and if he ever recovered. I actually came to this all late, I knew of GG in college, but never went to the forum. A few years ago, I joined OO and GamingTrend, never knowing they were the phoenixes that rose from the ashes. So I have no opinion, other than to say the resulting communities are excellent and friendly places! :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, GamingTrend isn't a phoenix. Rather, it is an offshoot that managed to survive the death of its sister site.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote:Actually, GamingTrend isn't a phoenix. Rather, it is an offshoot that managed to survive the death of its sister site.
Formerly known as Console Gold.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
purge

Post by purge »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Actually, GamingTrend isn't a phoenix. Rather, it is an offshoot that managed to survive the death of its sister site.
Formerly known as Console Gold.
And it was a parent site that Ron Burke took over and became a sister site.

A lot of how CG got hosed by GG falling is where that animosity comes from. I wasn't directly involved, but I remember CG fighting to stay alive after losing its domain registration.

In the end, Ron is fantastic, and I'm glad it survived. I wouldn't mind hearing how Rich is doing, but it's out of curiosity. I'm neither for or against Rich.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm Team Ron!
Odin

Post by Odin »

I don't have anything at all against Ron or GT. I have found, though, that one messageboard is all I can handle, and I like OO.

As for Rich, I'm not angry with him. At the same time, if he were to start up a new website and/or forum, I wouldn't have any particular interest in it, either. Once burned, twice shy, as they say.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

+1
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
purge

Post by purge »

Jag wrote:I'm Team Ron!
I'm hoping the largest billy-goat-gruff records his crossing your bridge and posts it on youtube. :P