[NCAA Football] 2012 Off-Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msduncan

Re: [NCAA Football] 2012 Off-Season

Post by msduncan »

Nick Saban is once again the highest paid coach in college football.
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama coach Nick Saban said he received overtures for other jobs after claiming the second national title in three years. Instead of bolting, he has received a raise and contract extension worth $5.62 million a year that he said represents his intention to finish his career in Tuscaloosa.
Rumors were that Dallas tried to get him, and that the Longhorns offered him a substantial amount of money. This is the first time he acknowledged that he was approached. This contract will run through 2020.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

All kidding about his job-hopping aside, if anything could get Saban to leave now, I would imagine it would be the right offer and situation in the NFL. There's no reason to leave Bama for another college job, as he's already at one of the top jobs with an administration that has shown they're willing to pay to keep him the highest paid coach (or at least damn close to it) in the country. He's probably a very proud man, though, and might be willing to take a risk at the pro level to wipe out the memories of Miami. If I were him, though, it would have to be a situation where the team is already close (no rebuilding process), and they're giving me a ton of money.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

ImLawBoy wrote:All kidding about his job-hopping aside, if anything could get Saban to leave now, I would imagine it would be the right offer and situation in the NFL. There's no reason to leave Bama for another college job, as he's already at one of the top jobs with an administration that has shown they're willing to pay to keep him the highest paid coach (or at least damn close to it) in the country. He's probably a very proud man, though, and might be willing to take a risk at the pro level to wipe out the memories of Miami. If I were him, though, it would have to be a situation where the team is already close (no rebuilding process), and they're giving me a ton of money.
Agreed. What we (Bama fans) have working on our side with this scenario is that it is very well known that his wife Terry hated the NFL lifestyle and thrives in the college environment where she can be closer to the school and the community that surrounds it.
It's 34 bowl victories.

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Does this make him the highest paid public official in Alabama? (And if so, by how much?)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The Meal wrote:Does this make him the highest paid public official in Alabama? (And if so, by how much?)
I would guess yes, and it wouldn't even be close.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Skinypupy wrote:
The Meal wrote:Does this make him the highest paid public official in Alabama? (And if so, by how much?)
I would guess yes, and it wouldn't even be close.
I would also guess yes, though my Google Foo is weak in finding a list. I would also agree that it's not even close.

I'd also argue, however, that he's more successful than any state official in Alabama. :ninja:

Edit: And really it's not a fair comparison since the Alabama football program earns close to $90 million per year in revenue. All but about $125,000 or so of his salary comes directly from those earnings. So officially he earns a professor's salary from the State.

That $90 million pays for the program itself as well as pours money into the other athletic programs and the General Scholarship Fund for the main student body.

To buy season tickets I pay $250 in something called Tide Pride fees that allow me the option to buy football tickets. These fees go directly into the General Scholarship Fund. Then I buy my two season tickets for just over $800 total which goes into the athletic bucket.

There is currently a 20,000 person waiting list for Tide Pride, meaning that many people are waiting to pay that so they have the option to buy football tickets.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I would also assume this is the case at most state universities with major football programs. There was an article in the paper a couple years ago about Coach Whit being far and away the highest paid employee in Utah, and that was before his significant Pac 12 raise...which is nowhere near Saban money.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Bobby Petrino placed on Administrative leave.

Discuss.
It's 34 bowl victories.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

msduncan wrote:Bobby Petrino placed on Administrative leave.

Discuss.
Maybe the Atlanta Falcons will take him back?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
PLW

Post by PLW »

Seem pretty consistent with his history of loyalty. Why would anyone to expect him to be different in his personal life? How could a player trust anything this guy told him?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

msduncan wrote:Bobby Petrino placed on Administrative leave.

Discuss.

First, his passenger lady-friend is hot. What the hell is she doing with that old ugly fart?

Second: "Petrino told the police that the accident was caused by wind and the sun"

Yes, the wind, the sun and the reach-around hand job you were getting.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

If Bobby Petrino is having an affair...well, that's between him and his family and the young lady and her fiance. It is what it is, but I won't judge.

BUT....it appears as if Bobby *hired* this girl to serve in some coaching capacity on the Arky football team, in a job position that was apparently created for her. The school is required to publicly list the job opening, but it appears she was already hired at the point the listing went up. Then there's the fact that Bobby lied to his AD and the rest of the athletic department about all this, including her hiring.

That could be problematic for him. If there's any sort of "morals clause" in his contract, Arkansas may be within their rights to dismiss him for cause and not pay any sort of buyout on his large contract.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Based on the language I have seen so far, he is expecting to be fired (and I bet he will be).
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

triggercut wrote: If there's any sort of "morals clause" in his contract, Arkansas may be within their rights to dismiss him for cause and not pay any sort of buyout on his large contract.

According to this article on ESPN.com, he:
"had a clause in it that would allow Arkansas to dismiss Petrino for "engaging in conduct, as solely determined by the university, which is clearly contrary to the character and responsibilities of a person occupying the position of head football coach or which negatively or adversely affects the reputation of the (university's) athletics programs in any way."

Bobby is a peach, isn't he?
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

FWIW, if nothing else too unseemly comes out of this, I think he survives it. Arky is poised to have a top 10 team next year, maybe a top 5 squad. Changing coaches right now would be a killer for them, so unless something really bad comes out of this (like an NCAA investigation on the hiring of woman he was having an affair with, or some sort of EEOC thing based on her hiring) I think he'll keep his job.

The problem for Arky will be how this affects recruiting going forward. There are always whispers that Nick Saban will up and leave Alabama, and I'm sure opposing SEC recruiters try to use that for leverage...but Nick and his recruiting coaches can point to Saban having been there for years and the fact that he seems to be entrenched now, and I don't think that line works much any more. There's no evidence behind those rumors, in other words. With Petrino, you've got a guy who is perceived by opposing teams and their recruiters as a narcissistic, lying scumbag, and with this you get fresh confirmation of that notion. NEVER underestimate the power of Moms in recruiting decisions for young football players, and Bobby Petrino's latest foolishness is not going to play well in living rooms.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

triggercut wrote:With Petrino, you've got a guy who is perceived by opposing teams and their recruiters as a narcissistic, lying scumbag...
Doesn't this describe every football coach in the SEC? :mrgreen:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

A few rumors trickling out of Fayetteville that Petrino may resign next week and take a small severance settlement in lieu of being fired for cause and getting no money.

We'll see. Same rumormongers had Dorial Green Beckham signing with the Hawgs....;)
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote:
triggercut wrote:With Petrino, you've got a guy who is perceived by opposing teams and their recruiters as a narcissistic, lying scumbag...
Nah. Domination and winning describe SEC coaches.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

triggercut wrote:A few rumors trickling out of Fayetteville that Petrino may resign next week and take a small severance settlement in lieu of being fired for cause and getting no money.

We'll see. Same rumormongers had Dorial Green Beckham signing with the Hawgs....;)
If this is true, it will be a major setback to Arkansas football. You simply can't find major big-time coaches this time of year. Alabama could only find Shula when we found ourselves without a coach after Price went to his hotel room with strippers/prostitutes in the spring.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
LOL. For some schools that only includes non-conference lightweights, of course...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

msduncan wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
Are you talking about the ones they stole from the Big Ten? :ninja:
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote:
msduncan wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
LOL. For some schools that only includes non-conference lightweights, of course...
For some, definitely. I'm proud of Alabama scheduling tougher out of conference games the last 5 years. Clemson, Penn State, Virginia Tech, Michigan.... Makes the season more exciting in my book.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
msduncan wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
For some, definitely. I'm proud of Alabama scheduling tougher out of conference games the last 5 years. Clemson, Penn State, Virginia Tech, Michigan.... Makes the season more exciting in my book.
Mine too. Ucla has always played a pretty tough non-conference schedule and it gives us some quality early games to get up for.

Or to decide the team will be mediocre again...

Epic 4g/Tapatalk

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

http://outkickthecoverage.com/arkansas- ... etrino.php" target="_blank

Good take from Clay Travis, and I agree that this is what Arky seems to be doing. They're waiting for any more "bimbo eruptions", and/or any more bad details with the state police. If this is as bad as it gets from here on out, I think Petrino survives...

...but I think this damages him a bit in the short term in recruiting.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

From that same article:
If only Arkansas had some prior notice that Petrino might be untrustworthy. Then the school wouldn't have been so blindsided by a motorcycle landing in a woody ditch.

:lol:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote:
msduncan wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
msduncan wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
Mine too. Ucla has always played a pretty tough non-conference schedule and it gives us some quality early games to get up for.

Or to decide the team will be mediocre again...
Totally agree, I like big non-conference matchups. We just bought out our games against Utah State in 2014, and the thinking is that we will fill it with a home and home against a B10 school.

It's still crazy to think that 2 years ago we were looking at home schedules of UNLV, CSU, New Mexico, Wyoming, etc., and now we're talking about doing matching home games with Big 10 schools. :wub:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sporting News did a less than flattering article about Urban's tenure at Florida. Lots of it seems rather speculative and unsubstantiated, but it's still a pretty interesting read.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Petrino OUT per Joe Schad at ESPN.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

triggercut wrote:Petrino OUT per Joe Schad at ESPN.

It's a shame they didn't do it immediately. They are already tainted by the widespread belief that they were trying desperately to find a way to keeo a winning, but despicable, coach.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

And the wording is "fired" with the implication that it's for cause and no buyout.

When they decided to get serious, they got serious.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Wow.

- 4300 texts and 300 phone calls (even on game days) between Petrino and Dorrell over the past 7 months.

- $20,000 from Petrino to Dorrell

- 159 applicants for her new job.

Her fiance has got to be loving life right about now.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Qantaga wrote:Wow.

- 4300 texts and 300 phone calls (even on game days) between Petrino and Dorrell over the past 7 months.

- $20,000 from Petrino to Dorrell

- 159 applicants for her new job.

Her fiance has got to be loving life right about now.
Fiance? That's just a serious boyfriend! :D What about Petrino's wife and kids of how many years?!

What a dick (not you, ol Scarface).

Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fiance? That's just a serious boyfriend! :D What about Petrino's wife and kids of how many years?!

You're absolutely right.

Although, I think this is a blessing for his wife and kids, to get him out of their home.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Qantaga wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fiance? That's just a serious boyfriend! :D What about Petrino's wife and kids of how many years?!

You're absolutely right.

Although, I think this is a blessing for his wife and kids, to get him out of their home.
I don't know... it sounds to me like he was spending plenty of time out of the home as it is.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Arky fans are truly something to behold:

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

triggercut wrote:Arky fans are truly something to behold:
I've rewritten this post about a half billion times, because it's going to be taken the wrong way, so try and read it as intended.

Making no judgement in either case, (I don't care about Patrino at all; I haven't cared about the other incident for a decade), why is this form of adultery any different than the last famous guy from Arkansas?

Again, I just am wondering the difference if there is one.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

noxiousdog wrote:
triggercut wrote:Arky fans are truly something to behold:
I've rewritten this post about a half billion times, because it's going to be taken the wrong way, so try and read it as intended.

Making no judgement in either case, (I don't care about Patrino at all; I haven't cared about the other incident for a decade), why is this form of adultery any different than the last famous guy from Arkansas?

Again, I just am wondering the difference if there is one.
As it so often is in these cases, it isn't the actual act itself....

...it's the coverup.

It seems like you've made the choice not to read anything related to this.

Let's say you're the person running a publicly-funded, state-run institution. Your institution posts a job availability notice to fill a position, as required by state law. 160 people apply. One of the persons with input on the final hiring decision--perhaps the person with the most input on that hiring decision, in fact--hires a young woman to fill the position. You then discover that, in violation of institution rules and explicit regulation, that the person hired and the person who did the hiring have had a sexual relationship, one that has lasted for 6 months. That's bad. It's really bad because the institution's regulations state that such a relationship between supervisor and subordinate must be immediately disclosed, and in any hiring/employment/promotion decision, the supervisory person in the relationship must recuse themselves from that determination. At the worst, you are exposed to EEOC lawsuits from the other finalists for the position. At the least, you're in some severe civil liability here if any of those finalists would like to sue. You find out that the supervisor in this case has lied to you at every point in this situation, has made you and your institution look bad by his lying, and with all said and done, you're still not sure whether you've heard the whole truth of things. You also discover that this supervisor made a $20,000 financial gift to the person he was in a sexual relationship with, and it is unclear whether or not that was directly from your institution's funds...but it sure looks bad. What also looks bad is the use of your institution's cell phones to make 4,500 text messages--including picture texts which it is now being disclosed include some pretty improper pictures--from the supervisor to the employee he's had a sexual relationship with and whom he just hired.

...and there's more! Apparently a whole bunch of other texts to at least one other girl.

And so it should be mentioned that this supervisor is married and has a family. It should also be mentioned that a major part of what this supervisor does for a living is go into the living rooms of families and convince parents that his institution is the best place to send their teenaged son to help him grow into a good man and solid human being.

Finally, you face this stark fact. This person who has lied to you repeatedly and exercised horrible judgment throughout this situation is locked into your institution for 10 years or more. If you want to at some point in the future terminate his employment, it will cost you $8m to buy his contract out. Or...you can fire him right then and there and by the contract your institution and this supervisor entered into he has no recourse. You have cause, and there is no severance or buyout needed. His employment is terminated and you no longer bear any financial responsibility to him.

And so, presented with all that if you're not firing Bobby Petrino and I'm YOUR boss...I'm firing you.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Qantaga wrote:

It's a shame they didn't do it immediately. They are already tainted by the widespread belief that they were trying desperately to find a way to keeo a winning, but despicable, coach.
Actually, I think they did fire him rather quickly. I believe they took the appropriate amount of time to get the needed information, without making a knee jerk reaction, and did the right thing. Remember, the repercussions of this action are far reaching and they needed to do their due diligence. The accident took place on the 1st. It wasnt until the 5th that information regarding his "passenger" came out. From that moment, it took them less than a week to fire him. I really have no problem with that and dont see desperation on Arkansas's part. I do see the media loving their ability to once again foster that perception and ride it for all its worth though. Understand, I have absolutely no attachment to Arkansas in anyway at all, Im from Michigan and could care less if all those "A" letter southern schools were burned to the ground and made into parking lots. :wink: I just think that the media loves fanning the flames far too much and hammering a school for taking less than a week to get it right is a bit ridiculous.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

rshetts2 wrote:
Qantaga wrote:

Actually, I think they did fire him rather quickly. I believe they took the appropriate amount of time to get the needed information, without making a knee jerk reaction, and did the right thing. Remember, the repercussions of this action are far reaching and they needed to do their due diligence. The accident took place on the 1st. It wasnt until the 5th that information regarding his "passenger" came out. From that moment, it took them less than a week to fire him. I really have no problem with that and dont see desperation on Arkansas's part. I do see the media loving their ability to once again foster that perception and ride it for all its worth though. Understand, I have absolutely no attachment to Arkansas in anyway at all, Im from Michigan and could care less if all those "A" letter southern schools were burned to the ground and made into parking lots. :wink: I just think that the media loves fanning the flames far too much and hammering a school for taking less than a week to get it right is a bit ridiculous.
I agree with that. Given how unreliable the information coming in was, and given the huge phone log that had to be gone through, it seems like they were doing their diligence here. I think once Arky discovered the $20,000 payment and the thousands of texts they acted pretty quickly.