Star Trek DeckBuildingGame Hivemind

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Chaosraven

Star Trek DeckBuildingGame Hivemind

Post by Chaosraven »

Opening a line of discussion for FAQ or issues.

We tried the Klingon Civil War and found it... well... Broken.

The +1 Explore from Ally Ships chained together in a terrifying run, putting one player into the lead in an overwhelming way... the bonus to his Speed and Attack was gross enough to destroy anything he came across, and in the 5 battle events, with the +1 Spd and Att for EACH ally ship?

He actually hit 20+ Spd and 40+ attack with his Maneuvers and Characters.

But the broken part? Sirok, and Sensor Scan, etc.

Putting the Arbiter on the bottom repeatedly... the +1 Explore of the Events and Ally Ships made for a final turn when LM could actually return all but 2 Allies held by the leader, then chain them and take them himself before playing the Arbiter... heck, he could even have put every card from our decks into play other than Setups.

So we were discussing what we could do to fix these issues (the broken Chain of +1 Explore Ally and the Loop of Explore with abilities that put cards on the bottom)

I thought of another... Barclay. +3 EXP when you explore... you could buy every card in Starbase.

Now granted, this only happens when you have run through the Spacedeck once and cleaned out the Influence and Starships.
Last edited by Chaosraven on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Blackhawk

Re: Star Trek DBG

Post by Blackhawk »

DBG - any hints? I'm guessing it is Diabolical Borg Gorillas, but I could be wrong.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Da Board Game?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Isgrimnur

Star Trek DBG

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deck building game.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Heh. Yes, the Deck Building Game.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Star Trek DeckBuildingGame Hivemind

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LM won? :shock:

Can't add much, I've only played twice and never the Civil War variant. It that the team game?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LawBeefaroni wrote:LM won? :shock:
Only due to the breakage. Sort of the same way I built a huge lead. The +1 explore on all the Klingon specific cards creates chains that allow a single player to run through the space deck. Being able to manipulate that deck then becomes the most important/only thing you need to worry about.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Can't add much, I've only played twice and never the Civil War variant. It that the team game?
yeah, i've never tried it either...and i've had the game since it came out. :oops:

I've tried the coop game and found it a bit wonky...but it was only one other player and we both weren't paying a lot of attention to it.

One of these days I'll try the team games. Right now I'm most excited by the original series version coming out. After two games and tons of player input, I'm hoping they have honed the game to a razor's edge when it comes to gameplay.
Covfefe!
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Borg Coop - fun... but we have done it enough to get a decent plan going to rescue Locutus pretty regularly (though JUST barely, regardless of what people tell you.)

Borg Queen - have only tried 2 player and got slaughtered four times in a row.

Team Klingon (actually tried it 1 v 1 v 1) discovered Spacedeck is Broken, hence this thread.

I was considering mixing in events and missions from the Main game, specifically Shuffle Deck type to avoid the Stacking Loop, and to break up the +1 Explore chain.

We also discussed ignoring the Ally Ships +1 Explore.
"Where are you off to?"

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote:Only due to the breakage.

Sort of the same way I built a huge lead.
:P

At least my win was funny and quick after sitting through hours of what seemed like a foregone conclusion. I was ready to concede the game well well before it became apparent to me that I had a chance to win and was still willing to concede right up until I realized I could steal every card in both your decks and all of the klingon ships in single turn based on a single card in my deck.

So yeah, it's broken.
hepcat wrote:I've tried the coop game and found it a bit wonky
I like the coop game better than the basic game because I don't find it wonky. I find that I dislike the race to a ship element of the basic game quite a bit. Mission acquired ships need to be nerfed and nerfed in a big way. The premise for their power is both silly and a fun breaker for me. If the game was a twenty minute game then I don't think I'd care but when a game takes several hours, knowing that the next few hours are determined almost entirely by a fating of an early ship grab and then primarily using that ship grab to advance the game just isn't a mechanic I enjoy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

After a game last Saturday night with some folks who've played quite a bit, I've come to believe that getting a ship doesn't automatically equal a certain win. It would if getting a ship automatically meant no one else could do the same, but there are enough low cost ships in the Next Phase to offset that. One player we had almost won by NOT concentrating on diplomacy cards and going instead for cards that increased his combat and speed, then exploring with the intent of pulling war events or defeating ships.

While I agree they should refine it even more in the next (much anticipated by moi) standalone game in the franchise, I don't think it ruins the head to head game. In any case, I've played a lot of strategy games that have this type of milestone.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

New mechanic for the TOS version - Handheld.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So they're just going to read the rules to Thunderstone and incorporate them from now on?
Covfefe!