Diablo 3 Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jaskerr

Diablo 3 Impressions

Post by jaskerr »

It's out in UK and Asia, so this isn't too early. Plus now you have 7 hours to get this to page 2 so we can have some real impressions.
noxiousdog

Re: Diablo 3 Impressions

Post by noxiousdog »

My favorite part is where you click your mouse and then can pick up some loot.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Well i went to bed at 10.30pm (uk time) and woke up again at 1am so am now downstairs having played 30 mins.

Added lots of people to my friends list then played, no problems getting in took 30 seconds to log in then played like it wasn't online at all, no lag at all.

Didn't do the Beta at all and the 30 mins I have played so far has been great. Found some creature hidden in an obscue location and dropped a good starter weapon for my Barb, a magical + super dooper killing sword with lightning etc etc.

Feels just like Diablo imo, quite dark everywhere going to hell. Love the Barbarian his voive and attitude is very arrogant.

Now to bed again as I will be up at 6am with the kids.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

noxiousdog wrote:My favorite part is where you click your mouse and then can pick up some loot.
Goddamnit, SPOILER TAGS, m*****f*****! :evil:

- Ash
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I especially like the dice game behind the shed in the first town. Picked up 30 geld.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Played for about an hour or so before work. Never played the beta, so this was my first encounter with the game. It feels very familiar so far, and pretty low-powered initially. I barely found any magical loot, but tons of junk.

I get the distinct impression that this game will also be divided into acts in the exact same way as Diablo 2 (ie. grassy area, desert, jungle, hell), but I have nothing to back that up with. It's just a feeling, and I hope I'm wrong.
Insert witty comment here.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Up to the first big boss and really enjoying it. Barbarian is fun but i'm wondering if he plays a bit simple but maybe for first playthrough that's for the best.

Could do with a pick up only decent items rather than all that crap that drops.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I'm stuck on the character creation screen, waiting for the game to actually create it.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

In. Feel free to join me. noxiousdog#1532
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Just 1 orange drop an dit was a crossbow, prefect for my barbarian.

My best gear has been made by the Blacksmith so far.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

How is the clicking and loot pick uping?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Got level 3 while my wife was in the shower, woohoo! Rockin' a magic sword!

I woke up at 4AM CDT and was thinking about getting up and playing but decided sleep was more important.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I got to play for a bit this morning. I clicked on some enemies and they died, and then I was able to click on loot to pick it up. Some of the loot was better than the loot I already had, and this made me happy. I then clicked on places I wanted my character to walk to. Side note: I'm not sure if anyone else has found this yet but sometimes if you click on people they talk to you!

Thumbs up!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

wonderpug wrote:I got to play for a bit this morning. I clicked on some enemies and they died, and then I was able to click on loot to pick it up. Some of the loot was better than the loot I already had, and this made me happy. I then clicked on places I wanted my character to walk to. Side note: I'm not sure if anyone else has found this yet but sometimes if you click on people they talk to you!

Thumbs up!
So this is like Angry Birds then?
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote:How is the clicking and loot pick uping?
Only mildly annoying. The gold/health orb pick up is ok (it's proximity based so just walk near it and you pick it up). The items are as ever, lots of accidental pickups filling up your inventory and the occasional multi-click when you're trying to pick up a decent item. Between that and the music, I got that old Diablo feeling going. :lol: It's all bearable though. Gone is the need to hit alt to pick stuff up all the time.

The blacksmith/crafting dynamic brings MMORPG grinding into play. Not a bad thing, should help give the game longevity. That "just a little bit more" feel is there. It also acts as a sink for items and gold, probably keeping the economy somewhat in check.

I played for about 2 hours, did all the quest stuff, read all the log stuff, cleared all the maps I got to and managed to hit level 9.

I did a media blackout on this one and it's everything I hoped, more Diablo with a slightly different feel. Still not sure about the skill/rune/whatever system but it's working for me so far.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Hmmm....looks like if you want to get some of the achievements you might need to make sure you talk to everyone and explore between main quests. I noticed there were some Conversation ones and I've think I've progressed too far to speak to Leah or Deckard Cain about the topics needed for the achievement or to read the journals.
Bob

Post by Bob »

The only item I was able to get this morning was an error +37.

Then I had to go to work. Where am I now. Not playing Diablo 3.
Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?
Jag

Post by Jag »

IceBear wrote:Hmmm....looks like if you want to get some of the achievements you might need to make sure you talk to everyone and explore between main quests. I noticed there were some Conversation ones and I've think I've progressed too far to speak to Leah or Deckard Cain about the topics needed for the achievement or to read the journals.
Good to know.

Sorry I bolted in the middle of our chat. Wife busted me playing instead of getting ready for work!

She mumbled something about having too many children in the house. 8-)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag wrote:
IceBear wrote:Hmmm....looks like if you want to get some of the achievements you might need to make sure you talk to everyone and explore between main quests. I noticed there were some Conversation ones and I've think I've progressed too far to speak to Leah or Deckard Cain about the topics needed for the achievement or to read the journals.
Good to know.

Sorry I bolted in the middle of our chat. Wife busted me playing instead of getting ready for work!

She mumbled something about having too many children in the house. 8-)
Did you remind her who pays the bills? :P
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

GreenGoo wrote:Did you remind her who pays the bills? :P
Not if she doesn't make him go to work instead of playing D3 he won't be. :P
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Jag

Post by Jag »

Well until this month we both did, but she just quit her job to spend more time with the kids. She's a litigator who's going to try to career change to a housewife. I'd be entertained if I wasn't caught in the middle. :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote:She's a litigator who's going to try to career change to a housewife. I'd be entertained if I wasn't caught in the middle. :)
That sounds like a sitcom premise. I'd like to sit in on her first mediation.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If you have a Templar follower, be very careful.
Joystiq wrote:Having fun with Diablo 3? If you hope to keep having fun, you might want to avoid the game-breaking bug discovered by fellow players. According to many posts on the Blizzard forums, equipping a Templar follower with a different shield may result in the game desynchronizing from Blizzard's servers. Users are also reporting that they are unable to log back into Diablo 3 – specifically encountering timeout error 3006 – even after restarting the game.

As noted by Eurogamer, the issue may be restricted to the Demon Hunter class. Blizzard is currently looking into the problem. In the meantime, regardless of your class, you should probably avoid swapping equipment with the Templar follower.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag wrote:Well until this month we both did, but she just quit her job to spend more time with the kids. She's a litigator who's going to try to career change to a housewife. I'd be entertained if I wasn't caught in the middle. :)
scenario a) We both make a craptonload of money, we can afford me playing diablo a little.
scenario b) I make all the money, I can stay home and play diablo a little if I want.

And as an aside, your kids are like 8 and 10 or something, is that right? I think I'm going to follow your wife's example and wait until my kids are in high school to quit work and become a stay at home dad. :D
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Getting disconnect error 3007 about every 5-10 minutes, having to re-log in every time and fight my way back to where I was. Very frustrating.
naednek

Post by naednek »

whooo hooooo two threads to follow!

I'm getting today, but have to go do my nephew's high school grad & dinner. I hope to be able to play at 9pm tonight. Can't wait to get past the beta levels. I'm sick of it already.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

wonderpug wrote:I got to play for a bit this morning. I clicked on some enemies and they died, and then I was able to click on loot to pick it up. Some of the loot was better than the loot I already had, and this made me happy. I then clicked on places I wanted my character to walk to. Side note: I'm not sure if anyone else has found this yet but sometimes if you click on people they talk to you!

Thumbs up!
Strangely enough, that's kind of like my work day.

So far the gameplay's familiar but isn't that part of why we returned? It's why I transferred some of my virtual loot to purchase a game that let's me get more virtual loot. Win-win.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I have an authenticator tied to my account. I needed it the first time I logged in, but it hasn't asked for it since. With SC2 I needed to authenticate everytime I logged in. Is this working as designed or is something up?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

IceBear wrote:I have an authenticator tied to my account. I needed it the first time I logged in, but it hasn't asked for it since. With SC2 I needed to authenticate everytime I logged in. Is this working as designed or is something up?
I set up an authenticator for the first yesterday. There is a checkbox that basically asks if you want to use the authenticator every time you log in. It defaulted to off for me. I didn't really understand it since I thought the authenticator was supposed to protect your account and it can't do that if it isn't used, but....

Maybe try that IceBear? Log into your Battlenet account view the web/browser and see if that box is checked for you or not?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

cross posted from other thread:

Wife text: "The eagle has landed"

:D
Jag

Post by Jag »

IceBear wrote:I have an authenticator tied to my account. I needed it the first time I logged in, but it hasn't asked for it since. With SC2 I needed to authenticate everytime I logged in. Is this working as designed or is something up?
Same thing with WoW. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I play on multiple machines and a single authenticator input can last a few days. Like GG said it's probably an option somewhere.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that if you don't check the "authenticate every time option" it only asks for it once in a while provided you're logging in from the same location. If you try to login from elsewhere it will definitely ask.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I just figured that out. I think it defaults to only having you authenticate once per week, but under the security options in your Battlenet account you can toggle it to check the authenticator every time you log in.

EDIT: I see that GG has already hit this. FWIW, something changed as I've had the authenticator for 2+ years now and up until last week (or whenever the beta ended) I had to use it every time I was logging into the D3 beta.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ok, my only real experience was with SC2 and it did it everytime, which was annoying. I fugured that Blizzard modified it somehow to make it better, but just wanted to be sure in case I was open for account theft. Thanks guys
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

IceBear wrote:Ok, my only real experience was with SC2 and it did it everytime, which was annoying. I fugured that Blizzard modified it somehow to make it better, but just wanted to be sure in case I was open for account theft. Thanks guys
They finally got that fixed in SC2 btw, the authenticator request acts just like it does in WoW and D3. Glad everyone is getting authenticators, would suck to lose all your stuff! And who knows if Blizzard would even restore anything for you?
Black Lives Matter
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Got to the end of Act 1 with my friends just a little bit ago. The Act 1 boss was actually pretty fun -- it involves more than just standing there wailing away on it, like all the D2 bosses were.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yay! Orange belt for my wizard
Freddybear

Post by Freddybear »

I was going along just fine until lunch time. Rather than quit, I just hit escape to pause the game on the menu.
Bad idea. Came back to a network disconnect message, got bounced/logged out, and now my character won't start. Something about how it can't find everything it needs.

Oh well, now I can try a different character. :)

Edit - it seems that there are some "server issues" (read crashes) which Blizz is trying to fix. Maybe there's still hope for Medea the Wizardess.
Last edited by Freddybear on Tue May 15, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Freddybear wrote:I was going along just fine until lunch time. Rather than quit, I just hit escape to pause the game on the menu.
Pretty sure this doesn't actually pause it. Better off just going to town and leaving it up if you don't want to quit.

MYT
Freddybear

Post by Freddybear »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Freddybear wrote:I was going along just fine until lunch time. Rather than quit, I just hit escape to pause the game on the menu.
Pretty sure this doesn't actually pause it. Better off just going to town and leaving it up if you don't want to quit.
Yeah, I'll do that next time. But on the blizz forum there's a message about server "issues" that they're working on. So maybe it'll be OK.