[Portal 2 announced]Portal mystery

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Shinjin

Re: [Portal 2 announced]Portal mystery

Post by Shinjin »

I don't know, the timing I could do without in a puzzle game. It's akin to jumping puzzles that just make you do crap over and over until you get it just so. The mental feat of solving the puzzle has been accomplished, but the game mechanics just abuse and frustrate until you get it right.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

As far as I remember there were only 2 puzzles, I think, in multiplayer that really required precise timing. And once you got those small parts down the rest of those puzzles were easy. I do not recall any of the puzzles in SP to reacquire much timing of dexterity. Most of them were set up the portals then run/fly through them.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

In case anyone's interested, Amazon has it on sale for $30. I got mine. For science.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Defiant wrote:In case anyone's interested, Amazon has it on sale for $30. I got mine. For science.
You can also get the PC version from Best Buy for $30 through saturday if you don't want to wait on shipping from Amazon...picked my copy up earlier in the week and will dig into it this weekend 8-)
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Finished it yesterday. A worthy sequel, and I enjoyed the new mechanisms. I'll have to hook up my mic and try out the co-op soon, if I can find someone who hasn't played it yet.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just finished co-op. Great fun. Took to sessions of about 2 hours each. So if I have any complaints it's the length. A few times I think we just got lucky and hit the right portals accidentally.

My favorites were the timing ones, especially after a failure or two, where the thrill of good teamwork really shines.

FWIW, in most cases where there's some twitch/timing required, only one player has to do it. Being the FPS junkie that I am, my friend got to try them first and then if they were too hard, I put my "skills" to use. I think I only had to step in for two or three of them.

No story spoilers that I noticed. There are some tie-ins that you can make inferences from if you've already played SP but I can't think of any actual spoilers. Some gameplay spoilers as you get different puzzles to work out.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Hmm, I see on steam that they've posted a beta of the tool to make levels. I wonder what sort of crazy insane levels could be made?
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

In case anyone missed it the Portal 2 Co-op DLC was released yesterday. It's a full new co-op campaign with 9 new levels and even a new final cutscene. Depending on how good you and your teammate work together it's about 2-4 hours long and very fun.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Lordnine wrote:In case anyone missed it the Portal 2 Co-op DLC was released yesterday. It's a full new co-op campaign with 9 new levels and even a new final cutscene. Depending on how good you and your teammate work together it's about 2-4 hours long and very fun.
I'd bet on repeat playthrough it's only about 40 minutes, but still... that end cutscene was awesome.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Repeat playthrough sure but it took us almost 3 hours.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The level designer has been released. There are over 3000 new levels that have been released so far.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I know this was posted in the Steam Deals thread, but in case there's anyone out there that missed it, Portal and Portal 2 are on Ridicu-Sale on Steam right now. I picked up Portal 2, so I'm only a year behind on this one--much better than the 2 years it took me to try Portal 1.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I messed around with the new level editor and the workshop a bit last night. It's not too bad, but I was underwhelmed overall.

I think by far the biggest weakness of it is that there's no option for coop. Leading up to the release of the tools, for some reason I thought the whole point of them was to have more maps that could be played coop, at least as an option. But sadly no.

The editor itself is fairly easy to use and you can do a straight forward test room pretty quickly, but nothing too outrageous.

Personally I think the half hour I spent with it will probably be about it unless the ability to design coop levels is added down the line.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just finished the campaign over lunch. Holy crap, that may have been better than Portal 1. I did not think they'd be able to pull off a full-sized sequel that didn't feel rehashed, but they did.

The voice acting and story went a long way.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Just wwait until you find a friend that has not played 2player yet. That is just as much, if not more, fun.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

miltonite wrote:Just wwait until you find a friend that has not played 2player yet. That is just as much, if not more, fun.
Something tells me my odds are slim.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

You might get lucky here. It just wouldn't be fun with someone that has already done it.

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The 2nd set of Co-op missions that was released as free DLC also continues the main story-line in a funny way. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I still need to do the second set of missions. Freezer and I went through the first, but I never worked up the effort to attempt to reschedule the next set. And now I want to.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Zaxxon wrote:
miltonite wrote:Just wwait until you find a friend that has not played 2player yet. That is just as much, if not more, fun.
I never did the co-op, but I'm not sure I really have much time for it right now and the time difference could be an issue...might be able to work something out if you're interested though...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

disarm wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
I never did the co-op, but I'm not sure I really have much time for it right now and the time difference could be an issue...might be able to work something out if you're interested though...
If we can work it out I'd be interested. My best time to play is after the little one hits the sack, around 8-10 Mountain time, which could be a little late for you.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

You know, I never played the co-op either. Of course, I'm also the worst MP buddy ever in terms of scheduling stuff.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Isgrimnur wrote:I still need to do the second set of missions. Freezer and I went through the first, but I never worked up the effort to attempt to reschedule the next set. And now I want to.
Yes, we definitely still need to do that. I may not have unpacked my mic yet, so I'll look for that this weekend if you'd like to try to play in the next few weeks or so.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Zaxxon wrote:
disarm wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
If we can work it out I'd be interested. My best time to play is after the little one hits the sack, around 8-10 Mountain time, which could be a little late for you.
Hmm...that's only 10-midnight EST, so I might be able to swing that at least on the weekends, maybe an occassional weekday for an hour or two if we get started around 10E/8M.

I know it's totally dependent on the skill/intelligence of the people playing, but can anyone give a rough estimate of the amount of time it takes to get through the co-op?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

disarm wrote:
I know it's totally dependent on the skill/intelligence of the people playing, but can anyone give a rough estimate of the amount of time it takes to get through the co-op?
I would estimate anywhere between 3-6 hours.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

disarm wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
disarm wrote:I never did the co-op, but I'm not sure I really have much time for it right now and the time difference could be an issue...might be able to work something out if you're interested though...
Hmm...that's only 10-midnight EST, so I might be able to swing that at least on the weekends, maybe an occassional weekday for an hour or two if we get started around 10E/8M.
I'm up for trying.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Zaxxon wrote:
disarm wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
disarm wrote:I never did the co-op, but I'm not sure I really have much time for it right now and the time difference could be an issue...might be able to work something out if you're interested though...
I'm up for trying.
Sounds good to me. I'll send you some better contact info via PM so that we can get in touch a little easier 8-)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Cool.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, it is decidedly meta that I have had Want You Gone stuck in my head for so long that I am now singing Want You Gone... to Want You Gone.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I still need to do the second set of missions. Freezer and I went through the first, but I never worked up the effort to attempt to reschedule the next set. And now I want to.
Yes, we definitely still need to do that. I may not have unpacked my mic yet, so I'll look for that this weekend if you'd like to try to play in the next few weeks or so.
Sounds good. As I will be a veritable shut-in starting next month, interpersonal contact would be a good thing.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

BREAKING NEWS -- PORTAL 2 $ 4.99 BOTH PORTAL 1 AND 2 $6.24 RUN RUN RUN. TODAY ONLY
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

... and done!

I have no idea how long this has been in my library (Steam says 12/19 2011) -- OK so I was a wee bit slow.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Damn, son.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:46 pmDamn, son.
Exactly. I finally played it because my 11yo son wanted both games so I figured I would play them along with him. We started and finished Portal at about the same time. He slacked on Portal 2. Waiting for him to finish so we can play co-op.

Heck now I am considering finishing Half-Life 2. :o
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 am
disarm wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
Speaking of the little one, she's now 10.6, and sitting next to me playing Portal with her younger sister. They are entirely sucked in.

1) This is very meta and cool.
2) We are officially the olds now.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My 16 year old has been playing the Borderlands series and telling me all the jokes / funny parts that she's picking up on. It's wild. She just heard about Portal and also wants to try it, so I'm sure I'll be hearing about how funny they are soon enough. :D

(and yes, we're old and yes, it's cool)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:40 pm 2) We are officially the olds now.
My 6 year old was watching a minecraft video yesterday, and noticed that the zombie pigmen in the nether were attacking the player.
She said that the video must be from the olden days because they don't do that anymore.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

coopasonic wrote:... and done!

I have no idea how long this has been in my library (Steam says 12/19 2011) -- OK so I was a wee bit slow.
3 years later, add me to the "done!" crew finally!

I started on pc, but stopped for some reason, then started again on the Xbox, but got stuck trying to go to the wrong area, then got going again and finally finished.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.