Limbo

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Limbo

Post by Zaxxon »

Limbo is an indie game available on PC, XBLA and PS3. I put this topic in PC Games because that's where I found it. :) I picked this up yesterday on Steam's daily deal for $2.50 (still $2.50 for 2 more hours!) and have had a blast so far.

You play a boy who wakes up in Limbo, and there' nothing else in the way of story given to you at the start. It's a simple 2D platformer that is essentially just a series of puzzles. It's got me hooked for a few reasons:

-The atmosphere is great. The visual style is simple but compelling. There's little in the way of music, but at just the right moment, an eerie background track pops in. There's a film grain feel to the game and it just works, IMO.

-Intriguing and fair puzzle design. I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through the game, and have enjoyed the puzzles so far. There's nothing really earth-shatteringly new here, but the puzzles are clever and the clues needed to solve them are always right in front of you, if sometimes only in retrospect. I haven't hit any sequences that required crazy-fifteen-year-old dexterity, either.

-The checkpoint system is perfect. You'll die. A lot. But you never lose more than 30 seconds or so of time, and it's usually more like 5-10 seconds.

If you enjoy platformers and see this while the game is still $2.50, it's a no-brainer. At the regular price of $10 I think it's still a good pick-up.
naednek

Re: Limbo

Post by naednek »

I picked it up thanks to your post on FB.

It's neat, I don't know what my character is supposed to due do to lack of narrative, but I just play for the ride. The spider creeps me out.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

naednek wrote:It's neat, I don't know what my character is supposed to due do to lack of narrative, but I just play for the ride.
I kind of like that aspect. Adds to the creepiness.
The spider creeps me out.
Yes.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

<angelofcheapgaming> 45 minutes left! </angelofcheapgaming>
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Finished it tonight; total gameplay time was 5 hours. Fun ride!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Despite being possibly the only OOer interested in this game, I'll share this theory on what the world of Limbo is really like.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I also liked the game! If the rumors about an iOS port being in the works are true, I'll very happily buy it a second time.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I liked the game quite a lot but I was let down by the complete lack of narrative. The developers basically said at one point that there was no deeper meaning behind anything, at least none that they intended. That really killed a lot of the enjoyment for me. Still, it was well made and had great visuals.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lordnine wrote:I liked the game quite a lot but I was let down by the complete lack of narrative. The developers basically said at one point that there was no deeper meaning behind anything, at least none that they intended. That really killed a lot of the enjoyment for me. Still, it was well made and had great visuals.
It's hard to imagine a creative process that resulted in Limbo's game world not having some underlying meaning or purpose. It's not like it's a tower built out of lego. The art direction, the name, some of the game mechanics...hard to imagine a team making this game out of parts, rather than making the parts to fit the game/overall design, so to speak.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Finished it on xbla years ago (first Xmas sale). Very fun.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I just finished this game. I liked it until the scary stuff went away fairly early in the game and just left me with mechanical puzzles. It reminded me of Braid, but not as challenging and fun. The last 5 puzzles were nice and devious, though, and I liked how the motors sounded louder and more complex as I neared the end.

I looked for an explanation of the ending and it seems there's no consensus. I have my own idea of what happened, and I kind of like my idea, but I'm torn between that and wishing the game just gave me an unambiguous ending.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hipolito wrote:I just finished this game. I liked it until the scary stuff went away fairly early in the game and just left me with mechanical puzzles. It reminded me of Braid, but not as challenging and fun. The last 5 puzzles were nice and devious, though, and I liked how the motors sounded louder and more complex as I neared the end.

I looked for an explanation of the ending and it seems there's no consensus. I have my own idea of what happened, and I kind of like my idea, but I'm torn between that and wishing the game just gave me an unambiguous ending.
It probably wouldn't be called Limbo then :grin:

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I actually liked limbo a little more than braid, but didn't finish either of them. With limbo there is the possiblity I will play some more. Braid is less likely.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I eventually got to the point in Braid where the timing was just too touchy and frustrating.

I have Limbo but haven't tried it yet. It's in my small queue of short games to run when I need a break from more epic RPG/strategy titles.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote:I actually liked limbo a little more than braid, but didn't finish either of them. With limbo there is the possiblity I will play some more. Braid is less likely.
Well I took another swing at this a couple of days ago when I was bored. It seemed like I was farther along than I thought, but still a ways back. Chapter 18 I think? Anyway, I completed a pile of puzzles then got stuck and after banging my head against it for about 30 minutes I quit.

Loaded it up when I got home from work tonight and after about 30 seconds of looking at the puzzle saw the solution jumped out at me. In Limbo knowing the solution is only 1/2 the battle, then you need to actually make the physics work (which can be easy or hard). So after a number of tries I get past it and blast past the next 4 or 5 puzzles then gott stuck again. I quit out and see that I'm apparently on the second last chapter.

Now I'm motivated to finish. 3-4 years later apparently.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And done.

The game was pretty much the exact right amount of difficulty to the puzzles to keep me interested while keeping frustration minimal.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I don't know if anyone is still interested in this game, but right now it's FREE on Steam, for how long I do not know.

UPDATE: It will be free till Wednesday, June 22nd 1pm EDT
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Steam cards just dropped on this game, and as it sometimes does, it triggered me to try out a game I've always meant to.

Beautiful, depressing, horrific, glorious gaming.

I think there are a few games out there using the same look/feel of this, or I have played a bit (maybe a trial) on PS4.

Sooooo dark, on multiple levels, sheesh. I kinda hope my toon is not supposed to be a kid because....oof! The brutality of the deaths and his surroundings is....daaaaaaaark.

Anyway, it's got its hooks in me good, and when I get super stuck, I pull up a Youtuber's walkthrough. The problem with that is now I will play a bit forward, and go back to watch how this chowderhead got through what I just did. It's amusing because some of the "traps" in the game are pretty nasty (and thus hilarious when you are watching someone else get blasted by them when you know what's coming! :D).

Great game though, wow. Many of the puzzles are flat out ingenious, and it makes me wonder how in the world someone even came up with some of them.