Pillars of Eternity from Obsidian

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Pillars of Eternity from Obsidian

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kickstarter
Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!
$20 gets you in the door with your own Steam copy in ~April 2014.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Re: Project Eternity from Obsidian

Post by El Guapo »

I want to know who did the $10,000 backing.
Black Lives Matter.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Backed
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:Kickstarter
Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.
Those games are from my personal golden age of PC gaming for me. How can I not throw some money their way?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Backed at $35.
Insert witty comment here.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Isgrimnur wrote:
I could be dead by then.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The dude with the SPEEDY t-shirt is really trying to sell it with his thong desktop.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote:Those games are from my personal golden age of PC gaming for me. How can I not throw some money their way?
I felt the same way.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

tgb wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
I could be dead by then.
Yeah, that's my reaction.

Plus, I'm trying to picture me selling my wife on this. "Oh yeah, it was $20. What did I get? Well technically nothing right now, but I might get a good game out of this in two years."
Black Lives Matter.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Backed!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

El Guapo wrote:
tgb wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
I could be dead by then.
Yeah, that's my reaction.

Plus, I'm trying to picture me selling my wife on this. "Oh yeah, it was $20. What did I get? Well technically nothing right now, but I might get a good game out of this in two years."
It'll probably be a $40 or $50 game when it comes out, so you could try to tell her you'll be saving $20 or $30 by investing now.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

El Guapo wrote:Plus, I'm trying to picture me selling my wife on this. "Oh yeah, it was $20. What did I get? Well technically nothing right now, but I might get a good game out of this in two years."
I'll have to wait to budget this one in a little. I have just about every title they show as having worked on, so interest is high.
Black Lives Matter

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

A second and third backer have joined the 10k level.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

In for $10,000. I'm going to make them play Axes & Allies so that it lasts for 10 hours.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Peacedog wrote:A second and third backer have joined the 10k level.
You know - if I had gobs of money laying around and wanted to meet developers - that might be a feasible way.
Black Lives Matter

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Paingod wrote:
Peacedog wrote:A second and third backer have joined the 10k level.
You know - if I had gobs of money laying around and wanted to meet developers - that might be a feasible way.
If I won the lottery I would aggressively back a number of projects, I imagine. Never mind the rewards.

The arguments about Kickstarter have always been off base. Kickstarter is patronage, but in a medium where it can be aimed at many people at once and nobody has to foot a huge bill if they don't want. Yes, yes, there are rewards and such thrown in to entice backing. That makes perfect sense since the audience is not the God-king and his vassals, but rather largely the everyman (and women) and the occasional really-well-off-er.

I derive quite a bit of utility from donating to Kickstarter projects. I would not have backed as much as I have at this point without rewards only because while I have disposable income to use, it's limited. If I had more, I would back more regardless of offered rewards.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I'm with Peacedog. I'll take a good look at this one later and definitely chip in something. As I've said before, I prefer to put a lot of my disposable income into supporting the arts in various ways, and Kickstarter facilitates that.

Not in this case since the reward itself is limited to two people per $10k contribution, but several big-money backer levels I've seen are designed for groups (or a generous host), where the creator will come to your gaming group, or play a show at your house, or privately screen their film for your friends.

$5k is a lot for one person. $100 each for 50 people who want to have a big party with Amanda Palmer might be manageable. (The backer rewards for Amanda Palmer's Kickstarter were awesome.)
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

What Peacedog said. I'm in for this one.

And holy shit--almost $500k on day one? This game is going to hit every stretch goal imaginable.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm in. $20 for an Obsidian RPG where they have full creative control sounds like a great deal to this gamer.
Last edited by Sepiche on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

I'm in on it. If I win the lottery I'm paying for development of a sequel to this and a sequel to Wasteland 2. :lol:

By the way, this GameBanshee interview makes it even more clear just exactly what they have in mind - 2d isometric, not fully voiced, etc.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$17,193,792
TRENDING TOWARD
Scary.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Sepiche wrote:I'm in. $20 for an Oblivion RPG where they have full creative control sounds like a great deal to this gamer.
You may want to proofread that. ;)
Blackhawk wrote:
$17,193,792
TRENDING TOWARD
Scary.
And not at all realistic. This is likely going to end up somewhere between 3 and 4 million, perhaps as high as 5 if we're lucky. The first day is always the most active for high-profile games like this. Having said that, the first 24 hours are still far, far from over, and they're already up to nearly 80% funding. :)
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm in!

I'm hoping for at least a cameo by Morte.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
naednek

Post by naednek »

You silly people. Just by looking at the name it's a scam. The game is never going to come out and they are going to money grab ya. You fools!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I'd like some better pledges though.

For now I want to give them more money but the more expensive pledges don't appeal to me or are too costly.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

naednek wrote:You silly people. Just by looking at the name it's a scam. The game is never going to come out and they are going to money grab ya. You fools!
You're just jealous that you missed out on Vaporware. Once that one comes in, we'll all be laughing at you. :P
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Backed. Never done as many "pre-orders" before Kickstarter. :D
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

This is the first Kickstarter I've truly been tempted by. Thinking about the $35 option.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

TiLT wrote:You may want to proofread that. ;)
I was tired. :P
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

EzeKieL wrote:I'd like some better pledges though.

For now I want to give them more money but the more expensive pledges don't appeal to me or are too costly.
Well, you can give them more money and still pick a lesser reward option. I do agree that the perks don't really grab me, so I just went for the early bird special.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Funded in under 24 hours. 31 days to go... they better have some stretch goals lined up. :P
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

They have!

We need to raise $1.1 million to fund an experienced team to do this right. We are asking for more than a lot of the other Kickstarter projects and that’s because we are not only making a game, we are creating a whole new world. That means a new RPG system, entirely new art, new characters and animation and whole lot of lore and dialogue. We’ve also designed the game to have a flexible budget and scope, so if we reach our target budget goal, we have a list great stuff we can add into the mix through stretch goals. And, additional money we raise will go straight into the game to add new levels, companions, NPCs, features, and even entirely new parts of the world which will add hours and hours to the adventure.

Curious what it'll be..
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

At the rate they're going, I'd be surprised if they don't end up with the sequel funded.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Stretch goals.
1.1 million, Base Goal – Achieved!
Base game includes three races, five classes, and five companions. We have ideas for these, but we want to hear your opinions on what you'd like to see. Stay tuned to Kickstarter, our website, and our forums to join in on the conversation.

1.4 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!
Expands your options for character creation and adds a companion of the new class.

1.6 million, a Mac Version of Project Eternity and The Story Grows!
We've listened and we’ll make a Mac version of the game at this tier. We're also going to add a new major storyline along with new quests, locations, NPCs, and unique loot (special histories everyone?).

1.8 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!
The options grow for your main character and the roster of your motley crew expands with the addition of a new companion from the selected class.

2.0 million, Player House!
Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax".

2.2 million, a new Region, a new Faction and another new Companion! And, dare we say it... ? LINUX!
Great news, everyone! For the Tarball Knights of Gzippia out there, we'll be adding Linux support!
Also, the world of Project Eternity grows in a major way with the inclusion of a whole new faction and the territory it holds. This adds new NPCs, quests, magic items, and hours of gameplay. And yes, you got it, another companion.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We're gonna need more than that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote:We're gonna need more than that.
Seriously. They just covered the second 1/30 of the project.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Blackhawk wrote:At the rate they're going, I'd be surprised if they don't end up with the sequel funded.
Not going to happen. Using money gathered through Kickstarter for this game to fund another game would seriously piss off the funders. No, they're going to have to use the entire budget on developing this game, then the post-release profits to get the next one going. They'll probably Kickstart that one too, but that's still a way ahead of us.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

also:
We've been listening to your feedback, and have the following announcements:

DRM Free: We are looking into it! Please check back for updates.
Digital Only Tiers are coming!
PayPal is coming asap. Please be patient!
New $5k Tier. We are looking into a new $5k tier since it sold out so quickly! We are looking into equivalent alternatives.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

So one of the 10k guys did back out Friday. I think he backed to 3 or 5k (at the time, it looked like it might have been 3k, but it's not possible to say definitively). Last I counted it was 32 or 33 backers at the 1k level or higher, which is impressive.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

By the way they hit stretch goal #1 late last night/early this morning and are almost half way to stretch goal #2 as I post this.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.