Eador:Genesis

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Qantaga

Re: Eador:Genesis

Post by Qantaga »

dbemont wrote: Lots of little details remain a bit unclear to me, but that is to be expected without an English manual. One thing in particular -- ranks and levels of units:
* Units keep leveling up, and I see this when I right click for details. My pikeman is a level 4.
* But in the unit recruitment screen, there are also ranks, and I gather these are different from levels. I have a couple level 4 slingers sitting in rank 2 on the screen. Not sure if that affects them in any way?
* But to complicate it still further, when I mouse over these units, they are all labeled rank 1, even the units placed in levels 2,3,4. This rank 1 label is confirmed if I right click on any of the units.
Not sure at all what to make of that.

The way I believe it works:

- In the unit recruitment (hiring) screen, you have four ranks of available hiring slots. These ranks are not related to the individual unit experience ranks (levels). They are the ranks of the actual unit itself. For example, a slinger is a rank 1 unit (regardless of its experience level).
- New ranks on the recruitment screen open up as a hero improves their command rating.
- A rank 1 unit (like the slinger) can be placed in any of the hiring rank levels 1, 2, 3, or 4 when they are being hired. If they are placed in a rank 2 slot, they are not any more powerful than they would be if you placed them in a rank 1 slot, it is just an available hiring, if you have no rank 2 units available for hire. Then, they will earn experience ranks (more hit points, damage, morale, etc.) as they perform and level up in battle.
-As tgb mentions, you will eventually be able to recruit higher rank units. When you recruit a rank 2 unit, it is not able to go into a rank 1 recruitment slot. It must be placed in a rank 2, 3, or 4 spot. Rank 3 units can go in a rank 3 or 4 spot. Rank 4 units can only go in rank 4 spots.

Spells work in a similar manner.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Thanks, Qantaga, that makes perfect sense.

Finished the tutorial shard and started what appears to be the real game. Quite an eye opener. Quite a bit more going on, and suddenly money is an issue.

I was glad to see that it is possible to start over without replaying the tutorial.

btw, I see that the beta has been delayed a week.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

The dev has said there will be multiple saves in Masters of the Broken World. :D

I'm still enjoying Genesis quite a bit. One quibble I do have, though, is that I have beaten a rival hero (out in the field, not in his capital) about 10 times now (in the early stages of a new shard) and he's right back each time on the very next turn. :(

I know that heroes can be rezzed, but the computer nation must have a lot more gold than I do to be able to rez repeatedly. It's frustrating because I can't even go back to the castle to get new troops, repairs, equipment, etc. without him retaking a province or two. You'd think there would be some delay in being able to rez, or at least his economy shouldn't be able to support multiple, consecutive rezzes.

Still in all, I'm enjoying it and keeping my fingers crossed for the new beta.
tgb

Post by tgb »

What level are you playing at? I usually have to wait 2 turns to rez someone.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

tgb wrote:What level are you playing at? I usually have to wait 2 turns to rez someone.

I'm pretty sure I'm at the middle setting (skilled or competent, whichever one equated to normal).

I usually have to wait, too, plus pay 250+ gold and 50 or so shards, which is why I'm getting a bit tired of having to beat the same hero (shiny knight-looking dude) over and over. It just seems he'd have to retreat and regroup eventually.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Others may already know this, but just in case:

The hint.txt file in the the text subfolder has some nice info in English.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

dbemont wrote:Others may already know this, but just in case:

The hint.txt file in the the text subfolder has some nice info in English.

Nice find. I did not know about that. Thanks!
Benhur

Post by Benhur »

Picked this one up yesterday and I'm enjoying it. A question though, and since there is no manual maybe somene here might know the answer. I have taken a neighboring province, and though it contains iron, it is colored red (so is the text). I'm assuming I don't have access to the iron but I don't know why. The people have gone from restless to quiet, so I don't think it's an unhappiness issue. I've also build a mine in the province but still no love. Does anyone know how I can get access to the iron??
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Benhur wrote:Does anyone know how I can get access to the iron??
I read on Qt3 that in those cases the resource is guarded and killing any guards in the province should give you access.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Sepiche wrote:
Benhur wrote:Does anyone know how I can get access to the iron??
I read on Qt3 that in those cases the resource is guarded and killing any guards in the province should give you access.
I think you first have to scout and find the specific location, and defeat those guards.

I've put this on the shelf for now in the optimistic feeling that I'll be getting into the beta for the new version, and I don't want to burn myself out. If it turns out I was wrong, I can always go back to it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

There is no manual in English for Eador: Genesis, but there is a translated manual.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

If anybody else has sound/mouse issues, try exiting Steam before you play. Now to actually play the game....
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Greybriar wrote:There is no manual in English for Eador: Genesis, but there is a translated manual.
Thanks! That is very helpful! (Although some of the translations are unintentionally hilarious)

The more I play this game, the more it looks to me like a truly elite level game, right up there with the very best.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

dbemont wrote:
Greybriar wrote:There is no manual in English for Eador: Genesis, but there is a translated manual.
Thanks! That is very helpful! (Although some of the translations are unintentionally hilarious)

The more I play this game, the more it looks to me like a truly elite level game, right up there with the very best.
You're welcome.

In case anyone is interested, I just learned of this YouTube video which shows the basics of setting up and playing a game of Eador: Genesis.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

Hello again,

Between Thanksgiving and Martin Luther King Day is one of the biggest stretches of time for me to play games. I bought 1/2 price Kings Bounty North expansion and the Civ 5 Gods and Kings expansion and played those until 10 days ago when I bought Eador...

For the past 10 days, I have played nothing else but Eador. I have probably put 30-40 hours and have conquered 6 shards (5 plus tutorial, 3 tiny and 2 small), level 2 in difficulty in my current campaign game and I have to say its the best complete game I have played in a long time, right up there with Kings Bounty and Civ series. (I tried level 3 and only made it through two shards, starting a third before trying an easier level. I could probably try level 3 now, but I would like to finish the campaign on level 2 difficulty first)

A few observations, most that make this game great...

1. So far, there is always something new on each shard I try to conquer. New units to unlock, New buildings to unlock, and New random events. I have yet to fight dragons and medusas, and I have had my butt kicked by Trolls several times.
2. There are real differences on hero development and each hero can win. I have won with Mage and Necromancy, Warrior and buffs, Scouts with armor-piercing and max range damage, and next time I am going to try a Commander.
3. It has that "one more turn" element.
4. If the shard is getting a bit tedious with all the combat, the quick battle resolution does just fine.
5. The beginning game element, so far, is always interesting. Tough choices on exploration, leveling and conquest have to be tempered with safety. The fact that re-loading the game one turn back hurts your end game score is IMO a masterful plan that keeps the game challenging.
6. Necromancy is very powerful early on.
7. Archers and mage army units are hard to keep alive. I find myself lately allowing the Mage and Scout hero units do range damage and my army consists mostly of fighter units.
8. Mage heroes really do burn though gems like mad. Sometimes it is difficult to fight every turn with a mage hero if you run out.
9. Extra heroes are worth spending money on so that they can explore crowded areas or unlock more areas to search and fight monsters.
10. Quests are available and you can choose the general category of rewards.

I STRONGLY recommend this game, especially for under $5.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I've been toying with different strategies before getting serious (with the Beta, I hope :horse: ), and I find the Scout hero to be the best early game because of the importance of, ummmm, scouting. He's tough to keep alive, and I have to resurrect a couple of times, but it's worth it.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

tgb wrote:I've been toying with different strategies before getting serious (with the Beta, I hope :horse: ), and I find the Scout hero to be the best early game because of the importance of, ummmm, scouting. He's tough to keep alive, and I have to resurrect a couple of times, but it's worth it.
I've had my best luck, so far, with the Commander. If you can level the Mage up a bit and get into the second circle of spells like Fireball, you can really move right along. But lots of buildings to pay for before you get there.
Malacheye wrote:its the best complete game I have played in a long time, right up there with Kings Bounty and Civ series.
Yeah, I hate to jinx it before I have played a while longer, but those were my thoughts exactly. I had this level of reaction to the first couple Civs, the original Master of Orion, Master of Magic, and Wizardry. But it has been a long time since a game just jumped out at me as truly great.

Really hoping I get into the beta!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I knew I shouldn't have come back into this thread. I just failed my Forum Effect saving throw... there goes another few bucks.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I too think the game is really good. Maybe not great -- but I haven't really explored as many options as Malacheye. My approach is exactly the opposite of his, though -- I'm trying to play as little of it as possible. I've played enough to realize that it is going to be a great game, and I want to wait for the updated graphics version out early next year. I definitely got my $4 worth out of it earlier (played about 8 hours worth) so I'm not unhappy that I bought this version, but I agree with what tgb said earlier -- I don't want to burn myself out on it now.
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

More reactions...

I now love the commander. He gets access to level 2 troops more quickly than the other heroes, and until he makes level 10 and can choose the option of warlord, allowing him to wear highest level armor, I just keep him back casting a few spells and getting a couple of killing blows when necessary.

I finished the past three shards with him as my primary and a scout as my secondary to do the exploring. I didnt have to reload once and only lost one battle in which he needed to be resurrected.

Some of the random events need to be tweaked a bit...

First of all, its difficult to know sometimes how gold/gem spending on them is really going to effect the event's outcome. Also, many times when you get to know a random event's outcome, you can play better and predict better... Secondly, it's frustrating when your hero is in the province of the event and its a group of monsters terrorizing the town and you dont always have the option to stomp them out with your hero's army. The only option at times is to spend gobs of gold on some random party of adventurers with no guarantee they will succeed.

Finally after 8 or nine shards i have access to almost all of the tier 2 recruits, but only just barely a building with tier 2 spells. You can always find spell scrolls as rewards for exploring buildings, but you cant put them in your library. You may only use the spell once until after you have been given the research for that building by conquering the shard that gives the plan for it. That sort of makes mages really great for the first 4-5 shards and then not as good until many of the buildings with level 2 spells are unlocked.

I think I should do a tougher difficulty now that I know a bit more.

More to come later...
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I've been sucked in. This game is everything that I hoped King's Bounty would be.

Edit to make this less cryptic. This is the game that I hoped King's Bounty, Disciples II, Warlock, and Conquest of Elysium would be. My only fear is that the AI is going to be passive (I'm only on my first real shard - 3rd level of difficulty). I'm going to be traveling and miss most of the Steam sale but now I don't care.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I tried some first steps yesterday but didn't have to courage to continue past the first steps of the campaign. I quit because I quickly got tired of the graphics.

Graphics are normally not a problem, this time I was just very impatient so I quit and played some nba2k13 ^^.

I'm hoping that I can play some more soon and I give it a fair chance.

What I'm reading sounds amazing so far ^^
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
T

Post by T »

Madmarcus wrote:...My only fear is that the AI is going to be passive ...
There have been some very positive comments on the QT3 forum about the AI. Saying it is very competent on both the tactical and strategic layer. It does not sound like it is passive, to the contrary it seems you need to be on your toes at all times.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Butterknife wrote:I too think the game is really good. Maybe not great -- but I haven't really explored as many options as Malacheye. My approach is exactly the opposite of his, though -- I'm trying to play as little of it as possible. I've played enough to realize that it is going to be a great game, and I want to wait for the updated graphics version out early next year. I definitely got my $4 worth out of it earlier (played about 8 hours worth) so I'm not unhappy that I bought this version, but I agree with what tgb said earlier -- I don't want to burn myself out on it now.
Same, I liked what I played, but going to avoid joining the beta or playing anymore of the old version as I fear I'd be burnt out on the game when the new one is released
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

IceBear wrote:Same, I liked what I played, but going to avoid joining the beta or playing anymore of the old version as I fear I'd be burnt out on the game when the new one is released
The developer confirmed that the new game is basically a remake of the original with much nicer graphics and some gameplay tweaks and fixes (including adding in a more traditional game save system). They said the new version would also be available on GOG. Once I saw that and all the glowing reports, I decided to hold off until the new version is released so it would be a fresh experience. I'm sure the price will be reasonable on GOG and no DRM is a huge plus in my view. Really looking forward to getting and playing it when it's released.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I guess I might be the odd man out. I have no problem with the graphics now. Plus I appreciate that it runs well on my integrated graphics tablet computer.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:I guess I might be the odd man out. I have no problem with the graphics now. Plus I appreciate that it runs well on my integrated graphics tablet computer.
Oh, I don't mind the graphics but interface improvements, English manual, etc are what I am waiting for.. Since the new one is out relatively soon and I have a ton of other games I am choosing to wait for the new version
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Tomorrow (seriously) we are starting to send out keys for the beta-version of Eador. And as we said earlier, this process will probably take a lot of time so some of you will receive the mail later than others. Thanks for understanding!

Fingers crossed that OO will get a few in the beta.
Elbino

Post by Elbino »

This game is like crack. I've only played it for 4 or 5 hours, but I'll certainly play a lot more the first chance I get. It's like the best of MoM with the best of the new Kings Bounty games thrown in with the hero building of Torchlight\Diablo thrown in for good measure. I haven't even scratched the surface. That's my only concern, that nothing will hold my interest after the initial goodness. Currently I don't see any reason to think that that will be the case though.
OO, GWJ, QT3
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Elbino wrote:This game is like crack. I've only played it for 4 or 5 hours, but I'll certainly play a lot more the first chance I get. It's like the best of MoM with the best of the new Kings Bounty games thrown in with the hero building of Torchlight\Diablo thrown in for good measure. I haven't even scratched the surface. That's my only concern, that nothing will hold my interest after the initial goodness. Currently I don't see any reason to think that that will be the case though.
I thought I'd play a few minutes before I left for work this morning. I was late to work. :(

Best one-more-turn vibe I've gotten in quite awhile. This is what I hoped Elemental would be. I'm still playing on a pathetically easy difficulty, but now that I'm getting the hang of things I'll probably bump it up next game. And I'm playing sandbox mode - guess I should give the campaign a shot...
T

Post by T »

I don't mind the graphics, as long as I can tell what's what I'm good. Dom3 is one of my favorites and it has some of the worst graphics in a game, although I personally like it. I hesitate to play this game as i got sucked in one night and got to sleep much later than I wanted to. This is possibly as good as Dom3. It actually feels a lot like it too.
tgb

Post by tgb »

T wrote:I don't mind the graphics, as long as I can tell what's what I'm good. Dom3 is one of my favorites and it has some of the worst graphics in a game, although I personally like it. I hesitate to play this game as i got sucked in one night and got to sleep much later than I wanted to. This is possibly as good as Dom3. It actually feels a lot like it too.
Considering that the single player in Dom 3 is weak by most accounts, I would consider this better.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Stuie wrote:
Elbino wrote: And I'm playing sandbox mode - guess I should give the campaign a shot...
Quite a different game. In the campaign the ability to build buildings comes slowly, as you move from shard to shard. You and your opponents stay at pretty low level spells and units, for quite some time. In the "regular" one shard game, you can build right up to very high buildings allowing very high level units and spells and guards -- and the building up involves pretty intricate strategy. I have enjoyed the game both ways.
Warfran

Post by Warfran »

Madmarcus wrote:I guess I might be the odd man out. I have no problem with the graphics now. Plus I appreciate that it runs well on my integrated graphics tablet computer.
Yeah same here, I really like the graphics a lot, it has that HoMM 2/3 charm that I still love + the game itself kicks butt.
But the remake coming out next year Masters of the Broken World takes the graphics to another level indeed.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I don't know if its the ai or just brutally hard but I'm getting killed.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Madmarcus wrote:I don't know if its the ai or just brutally hard but I'm getting killed.
Definitely a game to start out on at the lowest difficulty level. And, until you get a sense of the strength of opponent units, there's going to be a lot of crash and burn, due to getting into battle that are over your head. (Although the link in the thread to the translated manual will help somewhat in this regard.) The way you fight tactical battles makes a huge difference -- use of terrain and noticing opponents; magic, melee, and ranged resistances can turn a battle. IMO, the scout and mage heroes are more difficult to use as your main heroes when you are starting out.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Necrmancer heroes rock if you can get some "evil" recruitment stations build quickly.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Qantaga wrote:
Tomorrow (seriously) we are starting to send out keys for the beta-version of Eador. And as we said earlier, this process will probably take a lot of time so some of you will receive the mail later than others. Thanks for understanding!

I think I'm in. I haven't been notified officially (no one has), but I can access the private beta forum.
Warfran

Post by Warfran »

tgb wrote:
Qantaga wrote:

I think I'm in. I haven't been notified officially (no one has), but I can access the private beta forum.
Congrats, make sure you keep us posted on what you think, if there isn't a NDA anyways
tgb

Post by tgb »

No one knows what's going on. Now the beta forum has disappeared again, and there has been no work from the developer since the 18th, when he posted that keys would start going out on the 19h.