School shooting (elementary) in CT

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: School shooting (elementary) in CT

Post by Unagi »

Exodor wrote:
Exodor wrote:NBC now reporting the shooter's parent found dead in their home.

WTF
Now updated: shooter's mother is the deceased and she worked at the school.

They IDed the shooter but I can't be fucked to give that piece of shit any more exposure than he's already going to get. :x
Report I heard (a little more detail?) said that his mother was a kindergarden teacher at the school, and that her classroom was targeted.
Rip

Post by Rip »

rshetts2 wrote::( So sad. So angry. How do people get so screwed up that they can massacre innocent children?

I understand and even agree with your "warning" Lawbeefaroni, still its hard to discuss this without talking guns. Its the 800 pound gorilla in the room.
There is an R&P thread now.

So go there and have at it.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Sounds like he lived with his dad in Hoboken. Father found dead at the home. (That info is now confirmed as incorrect.)

Mother was a kindergarten teacher. Her classroom was targeted and she is among the dead.

Idiot's facebook page looks so...normal.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Mandeville

Post by Mandeville »

Heard on the local radio: A third grade student at the school told her father that the address system clicked on and there was “a lot of cursing”. The teacher stopped what she was doing and directed the students to a corner then locked the door.

So it seems like someone turned on the PA system at some point to warn the school that there was danger and begin lockdown. If the mother was the kindergarten teacher and she wasn’t in school that means the kindergarten class had a sub.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Trent Steel wrote:I cannot imagine going to pick up my kids (heard they have them at a local firehouse) and not knowing if they are dead or alive.

Can. Not.
Or even worse standing there and watching many come but not yours. The anguish of those moments of waiting and feeling the bottom fall out in unbearable panicky despair.

If there is a hell it couldn't be much worse than being one of those parents looking for a child that isn't coming.

:( :( :( :( :(
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm physically nauseated.

Can you imagine the level of fear when this mother saw her son (and I'm guessing she knew her son) all dressed in black come into her classroom? He probably told her that he already killed 'dad'.

My god. this is so unbelievably horrible.
triggercut wrote:Sounds like he lived with his dad in Hoboken. Father found dead at the home. (That info is now confirmed as incorrect.)
really, I wonder what the confusion was on that? Was someone not found dead in a home? or, was it not his father?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Unagi wrote:I'm physically nauseated.

Can you imagine the level of fear when this mother saw her son (and I'm guessing she knew her son) all dressed in black come into her classroom? He probably told her that he already killed 'dad'.

triggercut wrote:Sounds like he lived with his dad in Hoboken. Father found dead at the home. (That info is now confirmed as incorrect.)
really, I wonder what the confusion was on that? Was someone not found dead in a home? or, was it not his father?
Starting to sound like he killed her at home. My guess is killed her then went after the kids based on believing she cared more about them than him.

Some messed up shit, and hard to believe there were not signs of instability leading up to this.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Rip wrote:Starting to sound like he killed her at home. My guess is killed her then went after the kids based on believing she cared more about them than him.

Some messed up shit, and hard to believe there were not signs of instability leading up to this.
Suspect lived with dad in NJ. Killed dad, drove to CT to his mom's school, killed mom and kids in her class.

Goddammit.

The talking head on NBC almost lost it just now. He just said "Kindergarteners..." and had to turn his head and be silent for a minute. :(
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Yeah, seeing Lester Holt on NBC News just break up now brings it home.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Rip wrote:
Unagi wrote:I'm physically nauseated.

Starting to sound like he killed her at home. My guess is killed her then went after the kids based on believing she cared more about them than him.

Father's death was apparently mis-information. Someone confused reports about him living with his father in Hoboken and a parent being among those shot.

The parent killed was the mother at the school where she was a kindergarten teacher. Feds confirm her class was the focus of the shooting of children.

Who were probably about 5 years old.

I cannot process that.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't want to process that. First year of real school. I remember last year how excited my daughter was to start school.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My son is 5.

and amazing.

I can't even approach in my mind what these parents are going through. And nothing will help.

Fuck.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

NBC now clarifying that a "family member" of the shooter was killed at the family member's home in Newtown. Sounds like it could've been the father, but that's not being released yet.

Suspect had an apartment in Hoboken and lived there.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

These interviews with little children just piss me off. Leave those poor kids alone. :x
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Exodor wrote:These interviews with little children just piss me off. Leave those poor kids alone. :x
Seriously if I was there and someone tried to interview my kid there would be "issues".
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Second person in custody is the suspect's brother.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote:
Exodor wrote:These interviews with little children just piss me off. Leave those poor kids alone. :x
Seriously if I was there and someone tried to interview my kid there would be "issues".
I thought they needed parent/guardian permission, at least verbally, if the kids are under 18. Maybe not, and if not, it seems kind of predatory.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

In one way I agree with you but in another I think it may help them to verbalize how they feel and allow them to be get involved not just feel like victims themselves.

If you can't protect them all the time best to prepare and educate them to the dangers and the emotions that they may find themselves thrown into.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I volunteered as a helper in my kids' kindergarten classes. Have you ever seen a classroom full of 5-year-olds?? They're ADORABLE. I can't imagine how anybody could even think of trying to hurt them, much less actually going through with it. It's baffling to me.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The way the news teams try to report stuff the nanosecond something happens now I wouldn't doubt that they were just asking random kids questions without permission. Could be wrong... But it wouldn't surprise me.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

First grade teacher Kaitlin Roig, 29, locked her 14 students in a classroom bathroom and listened to "tons of shooting" until police came to help.

"It was horrific," Roig said. "I thought we were going to die."

She said that the terrified kids were saying, "I just want Christmas…I don't want to die. I just want to have Christmas."

Fuck man I'm done. I can't read anymore.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jesus, Obama can barely get through his speech. :cry:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Octavious wrote:
I thought they needed parent/guardian permission, at least verbally, if the kids are under 18. Maybe not, and if not, it seems kind of predatory.
This is governed by the state. In Michigan parents need to sign a release for anything that might focus on a child, that doesn't appear to be the case in Connecticut, or you'd think they'd fuzz out all of the children's faces being led away from the school on the MSNBC site, which is what we're used to seeing here.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Octavious wrote:...terrified kids were saying, "I just want Christmas…I don't want to die. I just want to have Christmas."
:cry: :cry:

I think I'm going offline for the night now. Seriously. I don't want to know any more.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I'm not reading anything more today. I haven't gotten squat done since noon.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Exodor wrote:Jesus, Obama can barely get through his speech. :cry:
He finished and practically RAN off stage before the tears came.

That was hard to watch.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

From what I hear, the ID of the shooter has been mistaken and the guy who they ID'd him as is in another state freaking out about this right now.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Gavin wrote:From what I hear, the ID of the shooter has been mistaken and the guy who they ID'd him as is in another state freaking out about this right now.
That would be incredibly horrible reporting if true. Maybe that will be a wake up call that they need to check facts before reporting things.

KeriKitKat

Post by KeriKitKat »

Beyond words, and I am not even yet a parent. I cannot imagine....

This has slowed the office down a ton since it happened, I wish this was the kind of business where we could just wind down early. Sadly I have to push everyone to get back to work....
If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Octavious wrote:
Gavin wrote:From what I hear, the ID of the shooter has been mistaken and the guy who they ID'd him as is in another state freaking out about this right now.
That would be incredibly horrible reporting if true. Maybe that will be a wake up call that they need to check facts before reporting things.
NBC was just about to talk about the mistaken identification when the governor's news conference started.

EDIT - they're not identifying the shooter during the news conference. Not sure how the shooter came to be IDed but it looks like it might have been premature.

NBC now reporting Ryan Lanza may not be the shooter. Heckuva job, media. :doh:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It looks like the name may be right, but the FB page and pictures is someone else. We shall see...

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
YellowKing wrote:My kids are sick so they are both home with their mom, which makes me feel better. Yes, I know it is irrational to fear for your kids about a rare incident in another state, but irrational fears go hand in hand with being a parent.
My daughter is at daycare a block away. I fought off the urge to go in and hug her but just ran into another parent with a kid there and she said it is full of parents doing just that.
Geezus.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I called my wife and told her to leave the tv off. She was already a mess and I could see her watching this all night and being a mess.

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Octavious wrote:I called my wife and told her to leave the tv off. She was already a mess and I could see her watching this all night and being a mess.
Yeah my wife has turned over twice but keeps swapping back yet is sitting there with tears in her eyes. I said turn it off.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Octavious wrote:It looks like the name may be right, but the FB page and pictures is someone else. We shall see...
This is what I was told, and it's probably going to be debunked in another few seconds, but that the name belongs to the brother of the shooter who is in a different state.

I'm not going to touch the news again until tomorrow, things should be sorted out by then.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Gavin wrote:
Octavious wrote:It looks like the name may be right, but the FB page and pictures is someone else. We shall see...
This is what I was told, and it's probably going to be debunked in another few seconds, but that the name belongs to the brother of the shooter who is in a different state.

I'm not going to touch the news again until tomorrow, things should be sorted out by then.
Looks like they had the wrong brother, but ya it's such a mess that nobody really knows anymore.

Rip

Post by Rip »

Exodor wrote:Jesus, Obama can barely get through his speech. :cry:
As is well known I am not a big fan but I respected him a lot today seeing the genuine pain in his comments.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

deadzone wrote:
Octavious wrote:I just don't know how anyone could ever do something like this.
I'm with you on this.
Oh come on. It's the christmas season. Who doesn't fantasize about mass murder? The line between fantasy and action is uncrossable for most of us, but not everybody.
Scuzz wrote:I can't understand what could drive a man to kill children. What could make you so angry that kids have to pay for your anger? I am not a religious person, but there are times when I hope there is a hell.
1. If the objective is to set a new high score, children are easy targets.
2. Take 'em out before they consume a lot of resources.
3. They're replaceable.
4. Christmas is their fault.

OK, this post is a tongue-in-cheek effort to get into the mind of the killer, not a defense or excuse. My first thought on hearing this news was "Well it's christmas, so duh." During the many christmas seasons that I worked in shopping malls, I frequently fantasized about opening up with a machine gun from one of the catwalks. Of course it was just fantasy; I didn't have a machine gun.

Reports about the gunman are still very sketchy. If he killed his mother, as the radio told me, it was likely something more personal than just the holiday spirit. Remains to be seen if that was what made this kid snap.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Brilliant.

I have 4 huge proposals that I need to wrap up in the next two hours, and I can't focus on any of them. Just want to go home and hug my daughter.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.