Ride Along

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Ride Along

Post by naednek »

Yesterday I went on a ride along with the Sacramento Police Department. I've been on a ride along before with the El Dorado Sheriff but it was incredibly boring. It was so bad the deputy took me to a coffee shop and listened to poetry. I was done. Last night was a different story and I had a great time. I recommend people to go on ride alongs. It gives you a whole new perspective about police officers. We had 14 year olds talking back to the officer. It's amazing how much crap they go through.

Here's how my ride along went J

I was supposed to be at the police station at 1pm for Roll Call. When I got there, there was only 4 officers for that shift. I was thinking, boy this is going to be just like El Dorado County, BORING. I was wrong. We had lots of action. I was supposed to be there till 5pm, but I asked if I could stay longer and the officer was cool with that.

First call we get some drunken guy waiving a knife around. We pull up and he's already detained by some police officers. Apparently the bum knows the officer I'm with and we take him and place him in the back of the car. We run his record and found out he has a warrant. We were going to either take him to jail or detox. However the radio frequency was busy we couldn't reach detox, so the officer asked me if I've been to the city jail before. I said no, and he's all, Jail it is. I felt bad that I had to decide that bum's fate :P

We were at the jail for at least 1 hour. There's so much paper work involved. You have to fill out medical information, what property did the person have, and many other forms. Then you have to have him see a nurse, then searched, then photograph the inmate and then you're basically

We had a few calls on false alarms (home and business security systems)

Around 3-4 pm there was a robbery in process. We were up on Freeport Blvd, and we were going 90 MPH with sirens and lights going heading towards Broadway. Apparently 2 guys (1 black and 1 Hispanic) stole a pack of cigarettes. Police cars, motorcycles and the helicopter were everywhere. We found one guy that kinda matched the description. We stopped him, and ran his name, and found out he's on parole and was released 3 days ago. I felt bad for him, because he had his resume with him and he was looking for jobs. He seemed like he was trying to get back on track. He was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. We searched him and he had a green package of cigarettes and a green lighter, which matched the stolen items. But it wasn't him, so we let him go.

We had another call about a guy who says there are 5 people in his apartment and one is sleeping on his bed. This guy was like 80 and you could barely understand him. He sounded like Tom Brokah. Turns out he's hallucinating. When we rolled up he was outside lying on the ground. We get him to his apartment and look around. We found some medication he's taking, and there's a lot of it. We also found blood on the walls. Seems like he cut himself a while ago. We called his daughter to come over.

Some 16 year old tried to kill himself by overdosing on drugs. We arrive and he's puking in his backyard. He changed his mind and puked up all the pills. We asked him why was he trying to kill himself and he says he doesn't know why. We asked how could you try to kill yourself when you do not know why. Apparently he is depressed often. Meanwhile, his dad is kind of passive about the whole thing, and not really showing much concern, like he's done and seen this before. We offer to take him to Kaiser for some help, which he agreed. I guess before his dad was going to take him, but he didn't want to go.

We get a call about someone doing donuts on the road. We halfway across town so we know by the time we get there they'll be gone, but we go anyways. As we head towards the scene someone gets our attention and tells us that he wants these kids off his property. Apparently 2 of the kids are friends with his son, but doesn't like one of them. The father's wife is really sick, and doesn't want to deal with them. The father was about to head off to go somewhere, so we pull over and as soon as we arrive, the parents take off. So we ask which kid lives here. One kid says he does, and we ask if he had any ID. He gave us a huge attitude saying, why should he have to give us ID for his house. The other kids start talking crap to the officer. These kids were like 14 and couldn't believe how they were behaving. Meanwhile, the parents comeback and tells us which kid they don't want around. We tell him that he needs to stay off their property and to move on. He started to give us more lip. Eventually he left the premises.

We get another call about some girl who was walking to 7-11 was being followed by some guy to and from 7-11. Apparently he has a RV that is on the side of the road near by the apartment complex. This happened during the day but they didn't call us till dark. We find the RV but nobody is there, and we couldn't find the guy on the streets.

Another call happened around 9pm and there's some woman in the street chasing cars as they pass by. It was near 19th and X. We get there about 5 mins later and can't find her. After looking around for 10 mins, we leave and then 10 mins later we get a call saying she's back, but on 16th and W. We get there 5 mins later and still can't find her. This time we searched longer and there's was no sign of her. We hear sirens and see that the fire department and ambulance is at Willie's burger, which is near the location. We thought maybe a car hit her. Turns out it wasn't her and it was some drunk person.

Our last call was a doosy. We get a call about a possible sex crime. It was over at Greenhaven in some apartments. We arrive and walk up the stairs to the apartment and there's glass everywhere in front of the door. The side window had been shattered. We get inside and there's three girls who are about 14 years old. Two of the girls are sisters I believe and 1 is a friend across the apt complex. Both parents are there and tells us what happened according to their daughters. Apparently their daughters were at taco bell and met 13 boys. These boys were 15-18 years old and they followed the girls to their apt. One of the boys grabbed the keys from one of the girl's hand and forced their way into the apartment. They trashed the apartment, garbage on the floor, tables on the side, iron board upside down ( that's only in the living room) They stole the DVD player and all their DVDs. The of the boys took one of the girls into the bathroom and locked the door and tried to rape her. From what the girl said there was no penetration. However she has hickeys on her neck and some bruises.

The officer takes the friend outside to get her statement. She spoke extremely fast, either as fast as me or faster and she kept speaking in gangster slang, which was really hard to understand. A few times she kept saying WOO WOO WOO and I wanted to ask her what the hell is she saying. Later I asked the officer, and he said it's like BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Anyways after we took down their statements, we had to go to a different girl's house who was there but went home afterwards. Her statements differed from the other girls. She told us that the girl who was raped was boyfriends with one of the guys and he's always around the apartment. Which was different from what the girls were saying initially.

When we got back to the apartment complex the apartment manager showed up and was asking if we were here for the apartment with the broken window. She informed us that these kids are partying here every day and had problems with them before. One of the boys are going out with the girl who got raped and he lives in the same complex. The neighbor also said they are always over having parties.

So it sounds like the girls made up the story of the boys breaking in because they didn't want to get in trouble with their parents. Unfortunately the rape wasn't made up, they showed us her ripped thong and pants. CSI was assigned to the scene and the girl was going to the hospital for the rape test.

Her dad was yelling at her because he told her not to wear thongs. I don't think that was the right time to start playing the blame game.

Anyways other than that, I had a blast, it makes it more painful to know that I didn't get in. But if anything, it will motivate me more. I got home at 12:30. We ended up staying 45 mins over the shift, and he still had to write up the report for that rape call. I guess he only writes reports for calls that are in his beat and if he's the primary officer. So out of all those calls he only had to write a few reports.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Sounds like you had an interesting time. I just played Civ 3 and conquered Spain.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Damn, that sounds fascinating, although probably a little scary at the same time.

But I gotta say, the first thing that popped into my mind after reading that "I wonder what Rich would say about this thread". :?

- Ash
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Fucked up with a capitol F, but front page blog material if I ever saw it.
gorky1

Re: Ride Along

Post by gorky1 »

naednek wrote:Apparently 2 guys (1 black and 1 Hispanic) stole a pack of cigarettes. Police cars, motorcycles and the helicopter were everywhere.
:shock: Is that standard procedure?
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

gorky1 wrote:
naednek wrote:Apparently 2 guys (1 black and 1 Hispanic) stole a pack of cigarettes. Police cars, motorcycles and the helicopter were everywhere.
Maybe in San Fran, but in the rest of the civilized world that's a potential lawsuit. Ken, tell your cop to read the manual on appropriate circumstances of high speed pursuit.

Glad you didn't get killed.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So...what do you do, just ring up the local precinct and tell them you'd like to ride along for kicks? Is this something just anyone can do? I've never been in the front seat of a prowl car before.
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

Pretty neat Ken. Full scale police chase for a pack of cigarettes is a nice use of your tax money at work :wink:
slambie

Post by slambie »

Sounds facinating, Ken. And it looks like you covered disfunctional families from A to Z all in one day.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Tareeq wrote:
gorky1 wrote:
Maybe in San Fran, but in the rest of the civilized world that's a potential lawsuit. Ken, tell your cop to read the manual on appropriate circumstances of high speed pursuit.

Glad you didn't get killed.
No I wondered about that. I'm trying to remember back, I'm not sure we were aware of the contents were stolen. It was an armed robbery (I forgot to mention that) they held up the cashier with a knife.

You have to remember when police get calls from dispatch not all the information is out there about the situation. When we got the call all we knew was that there was an armed robbery in progress. Over time more info became available, especially the descriptions of the suspects. As I'm recalling now, we didn't know it was over a pack of cigarrettes.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ironrod wrote:So...what do you do, just ring up the local precinct and tell them you'd like to ride along for kicks? Is this something just anyone can do? I've never been in the front seat of a prowl car before.
Yep you just call (the non emergency line :P ) and ask about a ride along. In Sacramento and I'm sure in most departments/agencies, they will do a background check. If you have a felony on your record, don't bother :)

It's really an eye opening experience. You get to see what the officer has to deal with on a daily basis. You see the bad things about society, and realize how dangerous the job really is. You get to see people helping others in need. I felt really bad for the old man who was was seeing things, and the rape victim, and the kid who tried to kill himself and his dad not really caring.

You don't have to tag along with the officer at all times, if you feel uncomfortable or afraid you can stay behind in the car. My officer said if things are too dangerous in his opinion he would advice me to stay back, but if I felt comfortable I could go a long with him. There were a few times where I felt a little uncomfortable. The rape scene was one of them. Most people think you are with the police department. I had a few people ask me if I was an investigator, including this hot waitress at this bar/resturaunt where we were looking for the robbery suspect.

Anyways, if you interested in it, I would definetely see if you can do a ride along.
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Lol! Glad to hear it was an armed robbery as you kind of made it sound like someone had their pack of smokes stolen and they're calling out the attack choppers. :)

But your little summary shows why I love my job so much. You just never know what to expect. Some days are just crazy and some are slow. Even though the crazy days involve lots of paperwork, it sure makes the time fly by. What's really weird is just how routine some of the stuff becomes after a while. I'm already finding myself having to step back at times and remind myself what I'm doing.

I strongly encourage anyone interested in policing or just curious as to what the job actually entails to go on a ride along. Not all services allow for it (most for safety/lawsuit reasons) but it's a great experience if you can get it. I think seeing things from the police point of view really helps people understand why we do the things we do. Just contact your local service and explain you have an interest in policing and see what they offer.