Kickstarter Question - Games You've Actually Gotten?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Kelric

Kickstarter Question - Games You've Actually Gotten?

Post by Kelric »

So who here has actually gotten a game from Kickstarter that they've funded, and if so, which game(s)?
silverjon

Re: Kickstarter Question - Games You've Actually Gotten?

Post by silverjon »

Poor benchmark, I'd say. Games take a long time to make. I've gotten books, music, and visual arts projects where the expectation always was a shorter production schedule than for a video game starting from raw concept.

Board game people get their stuff fast too.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Depends. I funded Zombiecide almost a year ago, and they're only being shipped to backers within the next month or so.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zombies, Run! amd Defense Grid: Containment for me.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

If you are talking about boardgames, I've gotten several. To whit: Glory to Rome, D-Day Dice, Carnival, Agents of SMERSH (great game), Defenders of the Realm: Battlefields, Pirate Dice, Wrong Chemistry, and Flash Point. Waiting on a half dozen others right now, and about to spend an ungodly amount of money on Sergeants Miniature Game.

Computer games? Only backed a couple...I would have thought that Match and Magic would be buttoned up by this point, but it being a one man job, I can be patient.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Chaz wrote:Depends. I funded Zombiecide almost a year ago, and they're only being shipped to backers within the next month or so.
I received zombicide a LONG time ago. The bonus characters are coming in march or so, but I thought every who was supposed to get the game had it already. I bet you mean zpocalypse?

I have that and DDay dice. Expecting puzzle me and zpocalypse in march. For computer games, no idea when any of that is coming. I'd guess double fine adventure would be first.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

FTL made it to actual release, but it was almost all the way finished by the time it was put on kickstarter. They just funded for polish, but the fundraising was so successful they expanded the features a bit, too.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Delay seems to be the norm for kickstarter projects. So far I have received:
FTL
Alien Frontiers expansion (delayed by a few months)
Zombicide (waiting on zombie survivors due March 2013)

Imminent arrival: Pebble (Sept 2012)
Delayed arrival: Ogre (expected June 2013 from Nov 2012)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

D-Day Dice thus far.

Tammany Hall, which people started getting this week, hopefully mine is here soon.
Eight-Minute Empire, ETA a few months I believe.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

coopasonic wrote:
Chaz wrote:Depends. I funded Zombiecide almost a year ago, and they're only being shipped to backers within the next month or so.
I received zombicide a LONG time ago. The bonus characters are coming in march or so, but I thought every who was supposed to get the game had it already. I bet you mean zpocalypse?

I have that and DDay dice. Expecting puzzle me and zpocalypse in march. For computer games, no idea when any of that is coming. I'd guess double fine adventure would be first.
Yeah, that. Zombiecide was too much money for me for an unknown quantity of game.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm in for Up Front, Project Eternity, and Guns of Gettysburg. None of them are close to due yet, although today's Gettysburg update was a confident assertion that they will make the battle-anniversary release date.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I have only backed pc games.... Only got the defence grid one, but the Shadow run one is looking close
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

It's way too early to give a tally about this kind of thing, particularly for computer games. Most of the serious ones had a release date of summer 2013 or later.

In any case, I've backed 28 projects, one of them not funded yet, and one of them failed to get funded. Out of those, the following have been either completely or partially delivered, or are very close to shipping:
  • The Order of the Stick Reprint Drive - Board game and book delivered in time. Some of the extras are still missing due to Rich Burlew's thumb injury, but he's catching up.
  • Advanced Encounters: Alternate Objectives - Two RPG books delivered as both softcover and PDF.
  • Match and Magic - Multiple test versions have been delivered, and the full game is only a week or two away.
  • The Dead Linger - Currently in open alpha for backers.
  • Zpocalypse: An Epic Zombie Survival Board Game - To be shipped within the next 1-3 weeks or so.
  • Zombicide - Everything has been delivered, extras and all.
  • Project Giana - Everything delivered.
Insert witty comment here.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

96 projects backed, 3 unsuccessful, 53 received (3 albums, 1 book, 1 "other" & 48 board/card games. no PC games received)
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

96?!?! Sweet jeebus! :shock:

I've backed (and received):

D Day Dice - it's okay...but I rarely find myself wanting to play.
Agents of Smersh - I enjoy it, but it has some warts that annoy me after you play a bit.
Defenders of the Ream: Battlefields - I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.
Eaten by Zombies - Kind of disappointing, sold it at Origins last year
Flashpoint (expansions only) - probably my favorite game out of all the stuff I've kickstarted.

Stuff I'm still waiting on:

Defense Grid 2 (got the containment expansion though...god I love this game)
Project Eternity
Shadowrun Returns
Small Box Games three game project - expecting it next week.
Sentinels of the Multiverse expansion
Moongha Invaders

Projects that were cancelled:

Shaker: An RPG - honestly, I wasn't sure how they were going to make a CRPG about a small religious group famous mostly for their furniture work, but I was curious to see.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

freelunch wrote:96 projects backed, 3 unsuccessful, 53 received (3 albums, 1 book, 1 "other" & 48 board/card games. no PC games received)
:jawdrop:

48 kickstarts of board games paid off so far. Wow.

I kickstarted a "live" recording session. For being a donor, I got to watch them record. I think they gave me more worth in free beer than I donated, which wasn't so good because I did a couple of Vodka bombs before I got there just wake my ass up after a long day.

I swear I kickstarted a single video game for beta access but it must have been unmemorable because I don't remember what it was.

I've debated a few other things and then I just don't do it. I've been out of touch from every one for the most part, so buying more board games to never get played would just depress me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Chaz wrote:Zombiecide was too much money for me for an unknown quantity of game.
Too bad, you could ebay the extras to pay for the entire package. If only we had known...

Having played zombicide several times and having watched zpocalypse on video and in person, I think you chose wrong. Of course, how did we know that then? Also, I spent even MORE on zpocalypse than I did on Zombicide. I'm getting a custom survivor card. I don't know why.
TiLT wrote:[*]Zombicide - Everything has been delivered, extras and all.
You have zombie nick, zombie el cholo, zombie dave, cardboard tube samurai, zombie CTS, eagle, zombie eagle, troy and zombie troy?

I don't even have my t-shirt yet.

I am excited for zombicide kickstarter round 2, the lightening (of my wallet).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Having played neither Zpocalypse nor Zombiecide, I don't know yet, but I do know that I prefer the strategery-sounding gameplay of Zpocalypse over a straight up zombie-stomp, which is what Zombiecide sounds like. I also got Zpocalypse for $50 vs the $100 it would've cost to get all of Zombiecide.

Selling stuff on ebay to offset the cost would probably be a more appealing notion if I ever actually sold stuff on ebay. ;)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How's the ebaying of board games work for you? Now that my gaming closet has spilled out onto my kitchen table, floor and hallway closet, I think I need to prune out the games I no longer play. I usually sell some at Origins, but that's months away.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:How's the ebaying of board games work for you? Now that my gaming closet has spilled out onto my kitchen table, floor and hallway closet, I think I need to prune out the games I no longer play. I usually sell some at Origins, but that's months away.
I don't do it. I found a buyer for my heroscape stuff by posting in the Game Valuations forum on BGG. That is the only board game stuff I have ever sold. I haven't sold anything on ebay since I discovered goozex, which replaced my use of half.com... so technically I guess I never sold on ebay.BGG seems to be a pretty strong boardgame marketplace, hopefully with fewer thieves. I've never used that either. Why am I answering this question?

Back to kickstarter stuff we may get some day.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote:Why am I answering this question?
I'm not sure, but I didn't want to stop you. You were on a roll. :wink:
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:How's the ebaying of board games work for you? Now that my gaming closet has spilled out onto my kitchen table, floor and hallway closet, I think I need to prune out the games I no longer play. I usually sell some at Origins, but that's months away.
That's what basements are for. And if worse comes to worst, they can go in totes and then into the attic. The problem with that is then you'd forget about already neglected games and that would be sad.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I have not backed any games, but two of the three Kickstarters that I've backed are game-related:

Tom vs. Bruce has so far produced 2 of the promised 10 articles, an awesome one on Dune Wars and a blah one on Political Machine 2012. They're running well behind the monthly schedule they initially aimed for, but that's fine by me.

Tropes vs Women in Video Games has yet to publish their first video, although according to their backer updates, production is well underway.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

coopasonic wrote:You have zombie nick, zombie el cholo, zombie dave, cardboard tube samurai, zombie CTS, eagle, zombie eagle, troy and zombie troy?
Oops, forgot about that. Okay, I don't have everything. :P
Insert witty comment here.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Reds should be out sometime this year and Eternity appears to be on the fast track.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

DG: Containment, which in some ways, I consider only a partial delivery of the original KS, which was for DG 2. Still waiting on that baby.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Whew!

Received:
Chicken Caesar
Road to Enlightenment
Edo
Arena: Roma II
Ground Floor
Skyline
Fleet
Ruhrschifffahrt

Funded, but not received:
Tammany Hall
Xeko
Fallen City of Karez
Jungle Ascent
Phystix
Nothing Personal
Pirates vs. Dinosaurs
Hegemonic

The only games I’ve backed that are late are Karez, and Phystix.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Can we get a Kickstarter intervention? 18 months ago I had never heard of kickstarter. As of today I have backed 22 projects, 20 of which have successfully funded, only 5.9 of which I have, to date, received (yeah zombicide is 0.9 as they still owe me stuff).

Can the board mods add a filter to hide any thread or post that contains the word kickstarter? please?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

After a couple of kickstarters ended with the stuff showing up on store shelves before I got my copy...and even one of them with every stretch reward being sold in stores as well....and both cheaper than what I paid to support them, I'm being a bit more discerning about what I back.
Covfefe!
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I've had great luck with Kickstarter so far, but I've definitely only backed a few projects from pretty reputable sources.

D-Day Dice - got talked into this by a friend, and I'm pretty happy with it. I doubt it's worth the $65 or so I paid for it, but I like all the extras backers got.

Sanitarium - I'll admit, I only backed this because the designer is a good friend of mine, and I wanted to support his first published design.

Flash Point - did not go in for the initial Kickstarter, but played it afterward and immediately bought it from the local FLGS. Since then I've backed the 2nd Story/Urban Structures expansion and the new Extreme Danger/Dangerous Waters expansion that just closed last night.

Reaper Bones Miniatures - just got these this week, pretty happy with this one.

So out of those, I've received everything when promised except for the latest Flash Point expansion (obviously). Thankfully I've been able to extend the restraint I've tried to exercise with respect to growing my boardgame collection in the last couple of years to Kickstarter projects as well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Boudreaux wrote:
Flash Point - did not go in for the initial Kickstarter, but played it afterward and immediately bought it from the local FLGS. Since then I've backed the 2nd Story/Urban Structures expansion and the new Extreme Danger/Dangerous Waters expansion that just closed last night.
I don't believe I've introduced this to anyone who hasn't immediately asked to play again. I love Flash Point. :wub:

They also offer terrific incentives for backing their stuff. So I back everything they do without reservation.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Updated list:

Received:

Glory to Rome
D-Day Dice
Carnival
Agents of SMERSH
Defenders of the Realm: Battlefields
Pirate Dice
Wrong Chemistry
Flash Point
Pirate Dice
Tammany Hall
Fallen City of Karez

Waiting on:

Airborne In Your Pocket (thinking this one will never materialize)
Castle Dice
Eight Minute Empire
Storm Hollow
Storm The Castle
Heroes of Metro City
Professor Pugnacious
Up Front (once again, thinking my money may be gone on this one)
The Card Game of Oz
Dungeon Roll
Dwarven Forge Game Tiles (kickstarter still underway)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Project Giana
Defense Grid: Containment

Partial Receive
Banner Saga: Factions
Castle Story: Alpha
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Arrivals:
Pebble (Sept 2012 arrived April 2013)
FTL
Alien Frontiers expansion (delayed by a few months)
Zombicide (waiting on zombie survivors due March 2013)

Waiting on:
Lace Anchors 2.0 (should arrive on time in May 2013)
Ogre (expected July 2013 from Nov 2012)
Zombicide Season 1 extras (delayed from March 2013)
Kobolds Ate My Baby! In Color!!! (Jun 2013)
Dungeon Roll (Aug 2013)
Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake (Aug 2013)
Zombicide Season 2 (Sept 2013)
Small World 2: The Return (Oct 2013)
Delver's Drop (Oct 2013)
Fairy Mischief (Nov 2013)
Eminent Domain (Dec 2013)
Wasteland 2 (???)
Project Eternity (???)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

One of my backed projects is The Guns of Gettysburg. This was funded in March, although the designer had already completed the game before then.

Yesterday's update is that the game is completely printed and now on a boat to the U.S. They had promised shipping before the anniversary of the battle (July 1), but it now looks like they'll be in the mail by mid-June. If nothing goes wrong at the last minute, this will be the first KS I've seen come out early.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What fantastic stretch rewards. I wish I'd seen that when it was up.
Covfefe!
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I got my Dice Tower dice tower today. Not a game, but there you go.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Update time. Werewolf, the first game I backed, should be shipping within the next few weeks as he finally sent out a request for shipping information.

Gangs of Deadsville is still fund raising and won't be out until next spring at the earliest.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I got Walk the Plank a few weeks back.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Since last posting, I've gotten Dungeon Roll, Storm the Castle, Eight Minute Empires, and Heroes of Metro City. I bailed on the dungeon tiles at the last minute.