Won't somebody think of the children?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Won't somebody think of the children?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote:One of the Houston Dynamo players wears a padded helmet for protective purposes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Calen Carr.

Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Petr Cech

Ale
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I thought once again, I'd resurrect this thread where I got derided and even mocked about concerns about soccer and concussions. It seems that there are issues:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/285 ... m=referral
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

AOC :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Bad photoshop
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:11 pm I thought once again, I'd resurrect this thread where I got derided and even mocked about concerns about soccer and concussions. It seems that there are issues:

I refereed world championships for Junior Rollerderby this summer (JRDA). One mandatory part of our training is CDC Heads Up training. We have to watch for signs for concussion and any hard hits to the head or falls require clearance from an EMT. These kids wear very protective helmets and still they occasionally will get concussions.

Hits to the head are important to consider but hard falls/tripping can be very impactful as well. I had a colleague who fell at a tournament onto his tailbone and had a massive concussion that took the better part of a year to "recover" from.

Anyway, there is no completely safe activity and I think we are at least just starting to get to a point where we are narrowing down what activities bring the most risk. That is probably the only way to work this but it is going to be controversial for a long time.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:11 pm I thought once again, I'd resurrect this thread where I got derided and even mocked about concerns about soccer and concussions. It seems that there are issues:

I don't think concerns were the issue. It was the idea of wearing helmets to eliminate issues. Helmets won't do anything to protect against repetitive impact damage. The brain hits the inside of the skull and a helmet doesn't prevent that. Not for something like headers. Other head injuries are rare enough that helmets would be overkill and may actually encourage more reckless play.

So what to do? Some or all of these maybe?

Ban headers (completely or before a certain age/level)

Issue penalties for reckless play/rules changes

Pad goalposts

Don't play
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:04 pm Don't play
This was my son's choice.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:49 pm
That was our choice too, but nothing to do with headers. More to do with awful Texas weather.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:15 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:49 pm
That was our choice too, but nothing to do with headers. More to do with awful Texas weather.
In my son's case, he must have been channeling my own thoughts when I asked if he wanted to join again, he replied, "no daddy, soccer is super boring." Honestly, I never made such a suggestion out loud to him! :D
Black Lives Matter