Eador: Master of the Broken World (new 4X fantasy TBS)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ColdSteel

Re: Masters of the Broken World (new 4X fantasy TBS)

Post by ColdSteel »

Jag wrote:Is it worth the time investment to play or wait for the improved version?
As it is, Eador: Genesis is one of the best, if not the best, 4X game I've ever played. I bought it at $5.99 and it was a steal. The new version is by all accounts almost exactly the same as the old with some things added in like environment rules for the different shards and a shorter campaign. So, the real question is do you want to wait to play it or not. I don't regret jumping in early because I didn't want to wait to play it and the game has so much depth to it that it takes a long time to learn all the ins and outs. So, I'll still have plenty of fun with the new version when it comes out and be able to hit the ground running so to speak. That said, everyone's different so if you want the shiny new experience, it might be best to wait.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah I only played this version a little and then decided to wait for the new version as my backlog is too big to revisit a game I recently played (I heard that it's pretty much the same game just prettier with better ui). That said I had thought the new version would be out by now so regretting waiting
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jag wrote:Is it worth the time investment to play or wait for the improved version?
For three bucks and with the last beta build having been delayed from the first week of February to ???? I figured three bucks will tell me if I agree with everyone else and let me know if I will be interested in the improved version.

The worst thing that happens is I am out one beer.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Looking for reviews, I came across this little gem, in which the reviewer quotes what I assume is the publisher sending him a letter with a copy of the game:
>>>>
Here’s an attention grabber: -

‘You may not have requested it, but I’m going to go ahead and send you a copy of Snowbird Games’ Eador: Genesis. I’ll call it, say, Master of Magic in Russia. The game is the labor of love for one Russian developer, Alexey Bokulev, and the game’s recent launch on GOG.com marks the first time it’s really been widely available… but if you’re a fan of turn-based strategy games with a bit of RPG flair, I think you’ll dig it.

Hit me up if you have any questions!’

Sure thing, PR guy! I’ll hit you right up! Hitting PR guys is so totally my thing, I really dig that!

I’m a crushing cynic. According to my instinctive reactions, the only thing I’ll dig is a trench. Then I fill it with petrol, throw my childhood dreams into it followed by a match, and stand a couple of metres away in the flickering shadows, slugging back vodka from an unmarked bottle and snarling bitterly to myself. I’m not exaggerating. So imagine my disappointment on downloading Eador and booting it up to discover that the enthusiasm is well-founded, that this is a little gem of a game about which I’m hard-pressed to say much that’s mean.
>>>>

Bet this guy is a hoot to hang out with in real life! :D

Link: http://www.manapool.co.uk/eador-genesis-review/" target="_blank

EDIT: Aaaaand boughten! If this sucks, it's your ass, Coldsteel, as I spent a whopping $2.99 on this solely based on your first sentence or two.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Carpet_pissr wrote: If this sucks, it's your ass, Coldsteel, as I spent a whopping $2.99 on this solely based on your first sentence or two.
haha. :D Don't make the kitten angry, you wouldn't like him when he's angry..

For those that just bought it and have modern processors, make sure you set up a power profile that throttles the CPU to 50%. It's smooth as silk then. If you experience any lag, stuttering of music or mouse, you'll need to do that. It's easy but you have to remember to switch to the profile when you play and switch back afterwards. Make sure under the advanced setting that you put the maximum CPU state to 50% and the minimum CPU state to 5%. The minimum 5% setting is important because it won't work right if you just set the maximum state to 50%. Takes 2 minutes. When you finish it just name it something like "Eador power setting".
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Jag

Post by Jag »

ColdSteel wrote:
As it is, Eador: Genesis is one of the best, if not the best, 4X game I've ever played.
Ok. I'm in. I've always loved 4X games, but as I age and have less gaming time, this has become almost my exclusive genre.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ColdSteel wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote: If this sucks, it's your ass, Coldsteel, as I spent a whopping $2.99 on this solely based on your first sentence or two.

For those that just bought it and have modern processors, make sure you set up a power profile that throttles the CPU to 50%. It's smooth as silk then. If you experience any lag, stuttering of music or mouse, you'll need to do that. It's easy but you have to remember to switch to the profile when you play and switch back afterwards. Make sure under the advanced setting that you put the maximum CPU state to 50% and the minimum CPU state to 5%. The minimum 5% setting is important because it won't work right if you just set the maximum state to 50%. Takes 2 minutes. When you finish it just name it something like "Eador power setting".
I hope that makes sense once I get the time to download and play the game...
Warfran

Post by Warfran »

LordMortis wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:

I hope that makes sense once I get the time to download and play the game...
I have a Quad core machine and didn't have to do that so maybe it won't be a problem for you either.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Managed to get my GOG account password reset finally, so... purchased this while I was getting Settlers 3 (no idea when I'll play either...)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, well worth the money. Probably my favorite MoM-type game at the moment. Don't mind the dated graphics. Love the unit building and "empire" building. Just like pretty much everything about it. Good stuff. Anxiously awaiting the next beta and the updated version.
abr

Post by abr »

Just got an invite for the second beta. Know what I'll be playing tonight. :)
tgb

Post by tgb »

I woke up to a notification email as well, but the download is going awfully slowly.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

No invitation. :( But at least I own the original now, adn I will play it one day...
abr

Post by abr »

tgb wrote:I woke up to a notification email as well, but the download is going awfully slowly.
It's gotten slower as more and more people found the link in their inbox, I imagine.
Benhur

Post by Benhur »

tgb wrote:I woke up to a notification email as well, but the download is going awfully slowly.
Mine took about 30 minutes to download but it installed quickly. I haven't activated the code yet but might pull the trigger tonight. Genesis is a great game so I can't wait to see what they've done with Broken World.
tgb

Post by tgb »

My download timed out about halfway through, so now I'm starting over. Looks like I won't be getting to this until this evening, if then.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

email just came. It looks like it's only good for 14 days, so it also looks like I will downloading and playing as much as possible for the next 14 days.
Lyno

Post by Lyno »

My download is very slooow...

-Lyno!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My download is slow too, but I just got home. By the time I can get around to playing, it should definitely be finished (as long as it doesn't time out).

Looking forward to it, though the 14 day limit is unfortunate. Hopefully, that's means they're approaching release (sooner rather than later)?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So far I'm zipping along (from my modem) 49 minutes at burst speed. We'll see what it slows to.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Wow.

What a huge step backwards and a major disappointment compared to the first build. The new building interface is a confusing, buggy mess, combat is slow as molasses unless you set the graphics to the lowest setting and the combat to the highest speed, combat results still appear before the animation starts and there are still no combat sound effects other than the occasional grunt, and turn resolutions are excruciatingly slow - like Pride of Nations slow.

I enjoyed the first Beta, but have no desire to go back to this. I hope they address these issues, even if it means pushing the release back a couple of months.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Because I'm a bit of a masochist I gave it another shot this morning, determined to get past the first couple of turns. Nowhere on the screens where you can hire troops or buy equipment can you see how much gold you have. When you sell something you likewise can't see how much gold you will get. I'm pretty sure that information was available in the last build.

If this does come out on the 14th as previously stated, I would wait for impressions before purchasing.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Thanks, tgb. I didn't play the previous build. So I wasn't aware of those changes. I played for a couple of hours last night and found it extremely confusing.

I gave up on the campaign game I started after running a combat demo. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. I tried the demo... except I don't understand how it's a demo of anything. Apparently all they do is give you a powerful army and lots of gold. But there were no hints; no help documents on the different screens. It cleared up basically nothing.

With combat I found I could speed things up a bit by simply giving commands without waiting for the previous commands/animations to finish. They appear to have some ability to overlap. But the delay between turns is pretty ridiculous. That alone is likely to make me not play.

The only bug I noticed was when one of my units wouldn't give me the text for the level up options. But I only saw that once. Funny, until you mentioned it, I didn't even think about the fact that the damage text appears before the animation as a bug. I just assumed they wanted it that way... for some odd reason.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It looks like it could be an improvement over the original but it got me to pick up the original and I wasted way too much of a weekend I skipped out on OctoCon (so I could I could catch up on shit I need to do) playing it. The game really is a step in the right direction for Heroes of Might and Magic IV. This could be the next game with years of longevity for me.

So I'm really hoping the next version is an improvement because I'm absolutely hooked on my $3 purchase.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

I bought that Eador: genesis game from Gog when it was $2.99 but have not played it yet. I guess I should finish the games I am playing and start this one soon.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Good News!
Pre-order is now up on GOG
Pre-order: Eador: Masters of the Broken World

Epic.

Eador: Masters of the Broken World, a fantastic turn-based strategy game of truly epic proportions and unmatched depth of gameplay and some RPG elements, is now available for pre-order on GOG.com, for only $19.99.

When you pre-order Eador: Masters of the Broken World on GOG.com, you get a free copy of its critically acclaimed predecessor, Eador: Genesis, or--if you already own it--a 10% discount on your price!
So it appears if you already own Eador: Genesis, you get it for $18 instead of $20. If you don't own it you get it free, which is a really nice perk.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Yeah I just saw this when I got up this morning. I am going to play the 'Genesis' one I already have before getting the updated version/sequel but only a $2 discount for owning the Genesis version seems a little skimpy to me. Even Cyanide did better for owners of the original Blood Bowl or bought the 'Dark Elves' version, then bought the "Legendary" version (crappiness of game itself not relevant here). I would have thought more of the offer if it had been something along the lines of $5.99 - $7.99 for MotBW if you own the previous version.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
tgb

Post by tgb »

I would urge everyone to hold off until word comes back from beta testers that the problems with the building tree, A.I., and turn times have been resolved.
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

The game is supposed to be released tomorrow. Has anyone seen if the problems tgb mentioned have been fixed? The previews I have seen recently dont address these issues.
ioticus

Post by ioticus »

Malacheye wrote:The game is supposed to be released tomorrow. Has anyone seen if the problems tgb mentioned have been fixed? The previews I have seen recently dont address these issues.
Well one of the developers posted on QT3:

"We're actually updating the build on Steam ourselves, at least for now. So we're looking through the bug reports and fixing them in real time.

We understand it probably won't be the most stable release many of you expect and we're really sorry to let you down in this regard. It's a very complex project and unfortunately we can't postpone the release date any more. Rest assured, we want to support the game after the release as long as possible. For now, if playing the latest beta put you off (though many of the reported bugs have already fixed) we recommend you wait a few weeks. The game won't be abandoned after the release."

So don't hold your breath, in other words.
tgb

Post by tgb »

In terms of Malacheye's question, some of them have. The version released the other day to beta testers does have shorter turn times, combat moves faster, and the building interface is greatly improved. That said, combat sounds are still not in for the most part, combat results appear before the animation, and a couple of new, nasty bugs have shown up (not being able to exit shops seems to be the most common for some).

My feeling, since this is available both through Steam and GOG, is to wait for a couple of patches and the inevitable sale.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

ioticus wrote:Well one of the developers posted on QT3:

"We're actually updating the build on Steam ourselves, at least for now. So we're looking through the bug reports and fixing them in real time.

We understand it probably won't be the most stable release many of you expect and we're really sorry to let you down in this regard. It's a very complex project and unfortunately we can't postpone the release date any more. Rest assured, we want to support the game after the release as long as possible. For now, if playing the latest beta put you off (though many of the reported bugs have already fixed) we recommend you wait a few weeks. The game won't be abandoned after the release."
That guy is actually the publisher. I see this as a pretty positive statement of support and I like that they're being honest about how things stand which is more than a lot of publishers would do. In any case, I went ahead and pre-ordered from GoG. I figured $17.99 wasn't too much to support games like this and I was going to get it regardless. So, I'm taking one for the team and will let you know how the release version is.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ColdSteel wrote:

That guy is actually the publisher. I see this as a pretty positive statement of support and I like that they're being honest about how things stand which is more than a lot of publishers would do. In any case, I went ahead and pre-ordered from GoG. I figured $17.99 wasn't too much to support games like this and I was going to get it regardless. So, I'm taking one for the team and will let you know how the release version is.
Debating it. I'm loving Genesis and have received more than $23 worth of game out of the $3 game I purchased and want to see the game supported. I also know Freyland will be playing on or shortly after release day so we can ask for an AAR from him as well.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LordMortis wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:

Debating it. I'm loving Genesis and have received more than $23 worth of game out of the $3 game I purchased and want to see the game supported. I also know Freyland will be playing on or shortly after release day so we can ask for an AAR from him as well.
Absolutely true, although be aware that if there is a manual I will want to pour over that before I dive in too much. Nonetheless, I will endeavor to not disappoint!

Freyland
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

The game and the manual are now up on GoG.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Steam... not so much.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Freyland wrote:Steam... not so much.
Most new games don't show up on Steam until 2 to 3 pm EST. It's only the huge titles that *sometimes* launch at midnight of release day
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Agreed. That said, I am d/l'ing now.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

That's odd, an hour ago you could pre-order it since it hadn't released yet.

Now that it -has- been released, the buy button has disappeared... You can only add it to your wishlist :roll:
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

EzeKieL wrote:That's odd, an hour ago you could pre-order it since it hadn't released yet.

Now that it -has- been released, the buy button has disappeared... You can only add it to your wishlist :roll:
That's also semi-normal when a game releases...the store page for the just released game often has funkiness for a bit