Clearly it's the week of the god game (Skyward Collapse)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lorini

Clearly it's the week of the god game (Skyward Collapse)

Post by Lorini »

http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.php/skyward-features" target="_blank

There's a demo as well. It's on sale for $4.49 at the site and on Steam as well. No DRM unless you install on Steam of course.

This time you are in control of two factions and you are trying to keep both factions alive while they fight each other.
Black Lives Matter
Butterknife

Re: Clearly it's the week of the god game (Skyward Collapse)

Post by Butterknife »

I'll give the demo a try before deciding, then report back. Only even looking at this because it is turn-based, I liked AI War, and it's a god game. But the gameplay video looked awful and explained nothing.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I only gave the demo about 30 minutes. I guess the main point of the game, trying to balance two different factions, just doesn't interest me at all. The game appears to have some depth, but the lack of unit control combined with a lack of attachment to the cities you build, some functionality issues (slow scrolling, automated fighting that takes too long, etc.) and so on just makes me want to play something else. It may be worth it anyway if you are interested, since it is pretty cheap and I really didn't give it much of a chance.

On the plus side, I thought the music was nice.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I bought the whole thing. So far I'm liking it better then Reus, which I actually like but have a lot of trouble playing. This is more accessible but less depth which is fine with me.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

What makes it "clearly" a week? :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Bluddy

Post by Bluddy »

This is Arcen's best game since AI War (IMO). It's very very good, and at $5, a real steal.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Bluddy wrote:This is Arcen's best game since AI War (IMO). It's very very good, and at $5, a real steal.
Curious, was there another game?
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Bluddy wrote:This is Arcen's best game since AI War (IMO). It's very very good, and at $5, a real steal.
You registered 5 years ago, and are finally breaking your silence to post this? :) You must feel strongly about it -- tell me, what did you like about the game?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Butterknife wrote:
You registered 5 years ago, and are finally breaking your silence to post this? :) You must feel strongly about it -- tell me, what did you like about the game?
Hey, he's just really shy! :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Butterknife wrote:
He's clearly a deep cover astroturfer. ;)
Bluddy

Post by Bluddy »

Butterknife wrote:
Well, this board is kinda slow, and I'm not a very prolific poster to begin with. I do check this board once in a (long) while, and when I saw SC mentioned, I thought it was worth stating my opinion.
Bluddy

Post by Bluddy »

There were several other games. I became an Arcen fan during A Valley Without Wind. That game had a feel to it that I loved, but unfortunately it was very experimental and eventually headed in a direction that I feel wasn't entirely successful. Arcen tried to improve that game with a graphic upgrade and ended up creating the second Valley Without Wind game, which is much more focused and pretty good IMO. The next game they came out with was Shattered Haven, a top-down Zelda style adventure-puzzle game about zombies, and that game had some interesting spins on zombie lore. I wasn't interested in SH when it came out, but I've recently picked it up in a sale and it's quite enjoyable, though it's not going to win any awards (except for the music -- Arcen has some of the best music).
Bluddy

Post by Bluddy »

Wow. The spam detection on this forum is the worst I've ever seen. I wrote up what I think is special about Skyward collapse, but it decided that my post 'looks too spammy'. Not going to jump through hoops just to post it, so you can find my post on the QT3 forum here. (edit: can't post off-site urls either, so you'll just have to find it if you're interested.)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I never realized they did A Valley Without Wind. Thanks for educating me
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Bluddy wrote:Wow. The spam detection on this forum is the worst I've ever seen. I wrote up what I think is special about Skyward collapse, but it decided that my post 'looks too spammy'. Not going to jump through hoops just to post it, so you can find my post on the QT3 forum here. (edit: can't post off-site urls either, so you'll just have to find it if you're interested.)
I hope you don't mind, I thought your post was interesting and worth quoting here. The spam detection is probably because you haven't posted here enough.
Bluddy wrote:Here's a post I wrote on another forum when I was asked why I like Skyward Collapse. Much of this is a repeat of what's been said here, but it might still be useful to some people.

The features that IMO make Skyward Collapse stand out are:
- A landmass suspended in space. As a god, you drop tiles onto this landmass, remove other tiles, change tiles etc. Some game events cause tiles to collapse. This kind of setup - having the land tiles be completely dynamic and for you to build and collapse at will - is rare. The only similar game I can think of is Greed Corp.
- The concept of not directly controlling troops. This is a tradition inherited from Populous, and it just happens to be that it's one of my favorite game mechanics. I'm thinking specifically of Dungeon Keeper and Majesty -- 2 of my favorite games of all time.
- The unique concept of balancing two factions fighting each other while preventing the extinction of either one of them. I've never seen this in a game before. It's a very clever idea, because as anyone who played Dungeon Keeper knows, the biggest problem of god games is the enemy AI. In fact, all strategy enemy AI is flawed and can be gamed by discerning players. It's one of the things that turned me off of the strategy genre. However, in SC the AI manages the units while you try to prevent the factions from killing each other. You therefore play both sides, leaving the AI with a minor role that can be played quite easily and effectively by the computer. In the meantime, the game throws stuff at you: bandits, random disasters ('woes') etc.
- It's a turn based take on the god genre, which in itself is rare. I think they've handled the turn-based approach rather nicely. One of the perks of the computer (rather than you) managing the individual game units is that the game doesn't get bogged down as more and more units enter the field.
- The graphics for the buildings are beautiful and evoke a detailed, Settlers-like vibe. The units are attractive (IMO) but don't animate. However, for a turn-based game, that's not a big issue.
- The music is spectacular, as is often the case for Arcen.

This game is innovative and fun, and is a great deal for 5 bucks. Best of all, Arcen has a history of supporting and embellishing their games post-release for a very long time. The game just needs enough of a player base to warrant expansions and added content (like AI War). I'm really hoping that's going to be the case for Skyward Collapse.
You're making me re-think my opinion. Of course, I didn't care for AI War the first couple of times I tried to play it, either ... then something just clicked.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I second everything Bluddy said ! :)
Black Lives Matter
spelk

Post by spelk »

Penned some thoughts on Skyward Collapse...

http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=83433" target="_blank

Overall its a big thumbs up from me!
spelk